main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Halo: Reach" - Speculation, hopes and discussion.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Kakkay, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    You're right. It's Halo. Anything goes. :oops:

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I was kidding, ya know. I've waited the better part of 8 months now, I can wait a couple a days more.

3. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I have no issues waiting until Monday. It's not that big a deal. The whole code thing was just frustrating because it got exploited so bad.

I did have a friend who got on the the 1000 codes Bungie put on their site last night that all got used in less than 2 minutes, so I got to play it on his box, and...

It's freaking amazing.

4. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, have any of you guys DL'd and played the bloody beta already? If so, how does it handle? Yeah, I know there's tons of pages on this on the B-net forums but I'd like some feedback from less rabid Halo fans.

5. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    At 81%. Will post after I've tried it out a bit.

6. _Spartan-117_

_Spartan-117_ Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    *is rabid*

The betas out!

You get a health bar like halo1. You can sprint like MW2.....man........im going now...

7. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Have they improved the experience system? If there's one thing that put me off Halo MP it's that you could spend up to half an hour playing an epic team deathmatch, but because your team lost, you got ZERO experience no matter how you performed individually. It sucked big time.

8. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Well I finally fired it up and had a few games... and it just feels like Halo all over again, just with a few more bells and whistles. Not that it's a bad thing, I loved Halo 3 when it first came out. I dunno, I guess I've just moved on, it's not the sort of thing I'm into at the moment. Not that I was expecting to be blown away or anything.

9. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Halo'd gotten old for me, but this has really brought me back. Got to Sgt. last night. Halo:CE and ODST were my favorites, and this really seems to bring a few nostalgic remnants back from CE and blends it with the the better elements of Halo 3. Grenades feel a lot more like Halo:CE.

Netcode seems so much better than when I've played before. Matchmaking's been working great. I love the fact that TruSkill is hidden.

The main thing I'm still trying to figure out is how cRedits are rewarded. Was talking with random people I'd been playing with last night and sometimes one of us would dominate a match and only get like 110-150, while people who were middle of the pack to near last could get 300-550. Other times coming near last was like...50, while the person winning would get 300.

10. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    People are bitching and moaning on B-net about how the beta fails so hard and whatnot. However, it's been pointed out on many a thread that the gameplay feels very similar to Halo:CE. I never played the MP component of that game (and I wager, so haven't many of the haters), which may be why so many of us post Halo 2 players may be having a hard time with Reach. Now that the servers are working better things seem to be going a bit smoother. I guess I have to unlearn what little I learned and treat the game as a new one. However, I am adamant about hating the redesign of old classics, some of which (like the old AR) seem kinda puny and altogether useless. The hammer has no reason for being on this game's sandbox and the sword lunge is simply ridiculous. The armor abilities replace some of the Halo 3 equipment, however there seems to be a universal hatred for the cloak+radar jammer combo. The radar jammer wasn't missed on Halo 3, no reason for it to be here either. And last but no least, the default control scheme leaves a bit to be desired, not to mention that it's a bit unresponsive. But...it's a beta. Here's hoping Bungie nerfs the things that are meant to be nerfed and improves upon the good ones.

11. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    The gameplay isn't anything like Halo:CE. I couldn't put my finger on it before, but I realize now that the game is almost identical to Perfect Dark Zero. The way all the weapons are weak and the only attacks that matter are melees and explosives, the foggy movement speed and all the stupid little gadgets.

It's like bungie was upset that we weren't using equipment in Halo 3, so they centered the gameplay around these "armor abilities" which are equally useless. I probably won't be buying this in the fall.

12. _Spartan-117_

Aug 5, 2008
    Im still getting it, for the pure fact that its halo.
    (im not saying im not agreeing with you on some things, im saying im too much of a fanboy to give it up)

13. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I've played a few missions and its really different alright, the movement feels a lot more ... muddled and clumsy, which doesn't surprise me since they're going with the whole 'you're not as agile as Master Chief' thing.

However I like the direction they're pointed and find it a whole lot more entertaining than Halo 3's multiplayer was.

I'll probably end up buying it as I have all the other Halo iterations, but I pray they put something related to the Forerunner in there somewhere in the campaign.

14. _Spartan-117_

Aug 5, 2008
  15. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Oh yes, Reach's grenades are powerful. So powerful that the mere bounce of one against ya kills ya!!, amongst other things.

Needless to say, Bungie has their work cut out for them in the six months between now and release date.

16. _Spartan-117_

Aug 5, 2008
    Heh. I wish grenade spamming is illegal.

17. Jedi_Hunter_505

Jedi_Hunter_505 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2004
    I have been a Halo fan since original Xbox launch back in 2001. I played Halo: CE on launch day and I love all the games in the series (yes, even ODST). The Halo: Reach beta truly blew me away! I have been hyped for this game for almost a year now and the fact that it lived up to that level of hype is a testament to the power of the Bungie team in making great games that are just plain fun to play.

That said...

Grenades do feel somewhat overpowered due to their blast radius. Most people I hear complaining about deaths can attribute those deaths mostly to grenade spamming.

Other than that, the DMR feels really good, the reticle bloom works wonders for accuracy, and the map layouts are a nice change of pace from Halo 3. This beta is truly a great game in itself and I can't wait to see what Bungie has planned for the campaign come this fall.

The King of Shooters is back baby!

18. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm loving the beta as well. It took me a game or two to get used to the new movement, aiming etc., but once I got back into the swing of things it was like an old friend. This is Halo.

19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I don't think that the DMR works as advertised. Maybe because of its rate of fire, but mostly because of the reticle bloom and messed up hitboxes. Sorry, but the reticle wasn't broken on previous games, so I don't know why Bungie felt compelled to "fix" it now. If the reason was to finally simulate recoil, I wish they would've found a different way to go about it. So far, I'd rather take my chances with the magnum (which is once again a satisfying little handcannon when used at close range) or with the needle rifle than with the so-so DMR.

The plasma launcher and the Death Star like Focus rifle are full of win though. :cool:

20. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    See that's something I don't understand. Everyone else seems to think the DMR is weak or innacurate or something. I'm loving it personally, I like it way more than I expected to. I just slow my shots a bit and keep that reticule on a head and good things seem to happen for me. Way better than the BR.

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, maybe I just suck with it (I guess you played with me a few times to know I'm hardly pro material). Again, it seems not to work as advertised since the ViDocs usually showed it to be a two-shot kill weapon. I usually have have to fire it four or five times and try to hit the guy nearly off the top of his head to get a true headshot. Maybe the issue is simply messed up hitboxes on the player models.

22. RC-11

RC-11 Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2008
    Anyone here playing Invasion? I've gotten adicted to it. Since yesterday I've pobably played about 6 hours of it.

23. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm playing a lot as well. I must say, I do not like the new vehicles though. I think it would have been hard for them to be screwed up, but I'm just not feeling it right now.

24. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    I like Invasion too. It's kinda like Bad Company meets Halo.

I love playing as the Elites and cloaking and infiltrating the Spartan positions...really fun stuff.

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I think Invasion should've been the core MP experience for Halo since Halo:CE. Good thing that Bungie finally delivered it at the end. It's not quite perfect though, as the double teams make little to no sense in this Big Team Battle scenario. And I think loadouts and objective goals for both types of Invasion oughta be tweaked a bit, since depending the game type, Spartans are often outclassed against the Elites (in Invasion slayer, for example) and vice versa (Spartans usually own Elites in Regular Invasion). But regardless, it's still quite addictive and I see myself spending most of my time once Reach comes out.

It's safe to say, I don't think I can bring myself back to Halo 3. Though the beta is still a beta and many things need to be fixed, I like a lot of the stuff Bungie's bringing to the Reach sandbox. A helluva lot. Here's hoping Bungie decides to run the beta a bit longer than they did Halo 3's. Because, er, stuff still needs to be tested. A lot. For as long as possible.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.