main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Halo: Reach" - Speculation, hopes and discussion.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Kakkay, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Forgot to include my feedback on vehicles: WTH Bungie?! They sure leave a lot to be desired now, since they feel fairly weak. The Wraith's and Scorpion's armor seems to be made of tissue paper, with one mere well placed plasma grenade being able to take either out...yet the Splaser does now warrant instant kills now for some reason (you need two shots to take down a Banshee now!). The Banshee's new look leaves me cold, bring back the classic design! Also, you now have to toggle between plasma guns and fuel rod cannon!? The Spartans don't seem to have a counter to the Banshee right now (either in the form or the Falcon or the Hornet). Curiously enough the Warthog and Ghost are still the most reliable of the lot.

2. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I completely agree about vehicles. They've always been one of my favourite parts of Halo, and now I find myself severely disappointed. I do actually like the new Banshee design though. Vehicles just don't handle well. The Warthog's handling was brought back to glory in Halo 3, and now they've gone and changed it again, and it just feels wrong. And I always seem to explode inexplicably in a vehicle, because there's no health indication and almost anything can destroy you.

3. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
  4. RC-11

RC-11 Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2008
  5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
  6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Space combat!?!?!

YESSS!!!!

There are not words or even overly exaggerated internet memes to express my happiness!

The rest of it doesn't look half bad either. Knifing people, team combat...and fighting elites again.

Fighting brutes just isn't the same...

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    The combo performed by Noble 6 on that Elite was sick sick sick!!

But jeez...that game engine looks as shoddy as that of the MP beta, which makes me kinda sad since I was hoping for almost the same quality of graphical eyecandy as that from the VGA's teaser trailer.

8. Avian005

Avian005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2009
    I shared your enthusiasm yesterday!

I agree. The Brutes weren't very smart, and even on Legendary it felt like I was fighting Normal difficulty "Combat Evolved" Elites. The Elites are looking great so far! Two Elites almost killed the guy playing the demo!

9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
  10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I thought they weren't going to include firefight in Reach?:eek: This is awesome news![face_dancing]

And space fights? Even better news! I was musing only the other day how we never got to see anything along the lines of Colony Wars any more. While this is obviously going to be much more arcady and fast paced it looks fantastic fun. Hope it works well in Co-Op!

But does this mean that noble team does not die on the surface of reach when the planet gets glassed?[face_worried]

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Considering there WERE survivors on Reach (as per FIRST STRIKE), maybe it's not much of a stretch to think that maybe one or more of Noble Team will survive. Here's hoping though that Bungie will have the stones to NOT give us a happy ending here.

12. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    I've probably said this before, but oh my goodness this is game of the year.

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    As awesome as everything's sounding right now, that's too early a call to make. The Halo nerd in me may rage against this, but Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption are too damn strong as they are right now to be dismissed. Reach is gonna have to be absolutely frakkin spectacular in order to make me vote in its favor.

14. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    While I agree with your two mentions of ME2 and RDR, by the end of the year, most people have the newer fall releases in their mind, and so they obviously usually get more attention (unfcair as it may be). And while I own Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead, I'm still not sure if they'll be able to compete with the sheer amount of content Reach is showing off. Especially with all the E3 stuff this week, and the reveals of Firefight 2.0 and the possible major Forge upgrade. Only time will tell, but the more stuff Bungie shows, the more I believe in them.

15. BlindKota

BlindKota Jedi Youngling

Jun 19, 2010
    I hope all the Firefly actors get guest spots again..

Especially Nathan Fillion...the guy is legendary.

I assume that it will happen...The people at Bungy have a secret love of Firefly/Serenity.

16. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    I don't think Adam Baldwin or Alan Tudyk are involved (though I'd love to be proven wrong), but it has been confirmed that Nathan Fillion's character Buck does have a cameo in Reach.

17. plo_koom

plo_koom Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2002
    Assuming Halo Reach and ODST were produced at the same time, it's not impossible for Nathan Fillion to appear in Halo Reach

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Of course it's not impossible, since we were hit over the head quite a few times in ODST that Buck WAS at Reach. It'll certainly be a treat if Buck crosses paths with Noble Team in any of the game's missions.

19. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    An interesting snippet from Kotaku's Hands-on preview.

Apparently the more players in the campaign, the more intelligent the covenant get. Meaning that Legendary difficulty on 4-player co-op is going to be the hardest Halo game yet!

If only I had three friends to play it with.:oops:

20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I can hardly imagine any Halo on Legendary difficulty harder than Halo 2. :_|

It's painful at times; so so painful. :(

But four intelligent people playing at the same time beats dumb AI hands down most of the time.

21. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    That's harder to achieve than you may think. :p

*Shudders at the stories of morons ruining games of L4D*

22. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I did say "most of the time". :p

23. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    I am excited about finally getting difficulty scaling. Legendary in Halo 3 and ODST with myself and my three main Halo buddies is just a cake-walk, there's nothing challenging about it.

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I'm not sure I'd welcome that. Something a la Halo 2 legendary difficulty (where, say, just two plasma rifle shots kill you!) could make things incredibly frustrating even with 3 more people with you. If after playing through a level for wh knows how long and all of a sudden one or more of them grow frustrated and quits, well, that can be annoying.

25. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    See but what really made Halo 2 hard was the fact that on Legendary, if one of you dies, it's back to the last checkpoint for both of you. That was reverted back to the old way for Halo 3 and ODST. In Reach, having more challenge with less repercussions for dying sounds fun. It'll be harder for your teammate(s) to stay alive after you die, but at least they'll have a chance to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.