main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Halo: Reach" - Speculation, hopes and discussion.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Kakkay, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Jaysis. I never played Halo 2 coop, let alone on legendary, but that is so unfair. It's like they activated quite a few skull modifier effects in that difficulty (example, just like the Iron skull does in Halo 3 or ODST coop) without telling you and giving you no way to shut them off! See, I don't want a Halo that's too easy, but making it insanely difficult would definitely make it less fun.

2. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I've always been into Halo, since the original on X-Box. I enjoyed ODST and all that, but I just hated the online for 3; it just felt so unfair. Maybe I just suck I don't know, but I swore off Reach...

...but now after seeing that video with the space battles *sighs* I'll probably get it. I'm just a sucker for epic stuff and Halo has always been pretty epic...

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Gears of War is Epic. Halo is Bungie. :p

4. Thane

Thane Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2010
    QFT.

I really, really love Halo. More than Star Wars, in fact. I'm just hoping that Reach will be as good as the other titles, and that 343 Industries treat the title with respect.

5. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Just in case anyone hasn't seen this yet.

Honestly, I didn't really want this game too badly until I saw this:

Hell. Damn. Yes.

6. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Rocket warthogs?! Flag carrying with jetpack?! (though that looked wrong, as in staged) Holo decoys?! (that looked kinda fake too...)

And Blood Gulch!!!

Yes! YES! We wants it, precious! We wants Reach now!!

7. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yay Halo ring!

8. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Now there's a lot of speculation about what the Halo ring means. Bungie has made it clear that multiplayer maps are translations of campaign spaces. Will we visit Installation 04 during the campaign? That would be an unexpected twist. But they've also mentioned that when they say maps are from campaign, they haven't told us the whole story. So could a map or two be from a DIFFERENT Halo game's campaign?

9. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Not sure. I'm just waiting for an open world game that lets you explore a ring-type space station in full detail. How awesome would that be.

10. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    It'd be sweet if that huge Blood Gulch map somehow had another Halo 1 map woven into the area outside the canyon...Battle Creek anyone?

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I wouldn't make much out of the Halo ring in the Bloodgulch remake, just like I wouldn't make much out of the Mjolnir Mark VI helmets most of the RVB crew were wearing. Hardly every mp map in every Halo game was a space the Chief visited during campaign. They're simply evocative of the locales the action took place at and the overall Halo feel.

12. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    Reach's maps however are in fact actual spaces in the campaign. Powerhouse, Swordbase, and Boneyard for instance will all be areas the player may run through during a campaign level, albeit with different weather and/or time of day conditions. This has been made clear enough. That Halo ring does bring up interesting possibilities, unless it's just a custom skybox, which is doubtful, considering the amount of work that would still go into it. Is it possible for Noble Team to visit the original Halo? Some of the evidence from dialogue spoken in past games may lead in that direction.

"We made a blind jump. How did they-"

"Get here first? The Covenant ships have always been faster."

So how much faster are they? Considerably, if the books are anything to go by (and they're all we really have on the topic). They could have been waiting for days. And since in a ViDoc we've seen a brief glimpse of the inside of a Covenant environment, is it possible that Noble Team boards a Covenant ship that chases the Pillar of Autumn to Halo? The end of the game could take place just before the original game, before the PoA reverts back from Slipspace and starts the trilogy.

[face_thinking]

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    That's an intriguing possibility, I'll give you that. And definitely yet another "full circle" notch in regards to Reach's place in the franchise. I guess we'll have to wait and see if any of Noble team do end up on Installation 04...which could very well be the name of the the last chpater of the campaign?

14. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    Though I thought it impossible only days ago, I'm slowly coming around to the possibility of the idea. And Bungie has hid bigger secrets from us before (the entire Arbiter storyline in Halo 2, for instance), so I wouldn't put it past them. There have been comments made by them that the actions and sacrifices of Noble Team are what put into motion and make possible the events of Master Chief's trilogy.

Now supposing this DOES happen, I'm gonna wish I put a spoiler highlight on that last post. :p

15. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, it's not really a spoiler if it doesn't come from an official source. We can imagine any sort of thing happening in this game and maybe it'll be nowhere near as awesome as anything Bungie delivers...I mean, who here could've imagined Noble Team would commandeer protype starfighters and engage in orbital dogfights against Covie Seraphs and who-knows-what else?

16. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    TBH, what with it being the only part of the battle mentioned in the book and how the game's core audience are the hardcore Halo fanboys/girls, I expected some dreamt up excuse to stick Noble 6 in a fighter of some sort and have him engage in the massive dogfight.

All that this makes me ask is why are bungie so reluctant to let the fans fly a Pelecan, like most of us have wanted since Combat Evolved! I'm quite sure that's what the fans really want.

17. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    I don't really care about the Pelican, I just want a satisfying story that involves the Forerunner in some way.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I've never cared about flying a Pelican either. After all, it's just a dropship, one that can't succesfully engage or evade more agile or faster flyers like the Banshee or Seraphs.

IMO, the game should be about the Fall of Reach, first and foremost. Involving the Forerunner and Flood yet again doesn't seem proper; that was covered ad nauseum during the previous games.

BTB, details on Achievements have surfaced. I'm pleased that Bungie has put more focus on campaign this time around. As for the solo Legendary cheevo, bring it on; I've always tackled that one solo. But I am wary of that Killionaire cheevo. I hope that's one of the Firefight ones...

19. BLemelisk

Aug 19, 2003
    Definitely liking the solo campaign achievement.

And I understand the Forerunner have been covered fairly well, especially in Halo 3, but they're just so darn interesting. I haven't read any of the books (planning on reading the Forerunner trilogy though), but isn't there some kind of Forerunner connection to the planet Reach?

20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yes, Reach has Forerunner facilities, as per the novel FIRST STRIKE. But in light of what's been revealed about 'em, that's really not surprising. They had a galaxy wide empire and probably had colonies or facilities in many habitable planets, such as Reach and Earth.

21. DarthSubZero

DarthSubZero Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2006
  22. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Definitely! I don't have a creative or artistic hair on my body which is why I never bothered with Forge much. But I marvelled at the creations the community came up with. Now that it's supposedly easier to use and with such a larger scope, the community will definitely go crazy now.

As for Firefight 2.0 Vs., I've seen a couple of videos and it's definitely an interesting take on it. That Network Test during the beta makes a lot of more sense now as a testing ground for Firefight rather than as a mere test for "generator defense" Invasion.

23. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    That's just ridiculously cool.

24. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    I hope the Brute Prowler is in the game, that thing was wicked.

I also hope we get to use M247 HMG

25. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    Its a good thing Bungie recently announced their awesomely looking Halo: Reach themed Xbox 360 slim, because I need to replace my crappy red-ringed 360.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.