main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han and Leia: An EU Fan's Haven

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DantSolo, Mar 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I think I can offer some insight to the Dark Empire book/audio situation...
    "That's it. :) I wonder if this was originally in the book and then cut out, or if it was added to the audio book for some reason. Perhaps they felt it wasn't as clear of a foretelling in the novel and thought they needed to make it more obvious that it was Leia she was talking about at the end? It's odd either way... Usually they cut out stuff in the audio adaptations not add more in!"

The thing to remember is that Dark Empire was around for much longer than HttE was, even though it was released less than six months later. That is, plans were being conceptualized for DE shortly after Marvel's Star Wars series ended in 1986. Based on their success with Marvel's Epic book, the Light and Darkness War, Veitch and Kennedy's next project was going to be Dark Empire for Marvel's Epic line. Marvel passed on it, and they shopped the project to Dark Horse.

But, the core story elements - Han and Leia being together - were cemented in DE before Zahn did HttE. That's why the book didn't have to beat you over the head about Han & Leia because HttE came out earlier and they were together. When it came time for the audio, a product generally being notorious in Star Wars for including supplemental material not seen in the original, it was included.

Just a nice bit of trivia regarding DE, Han and Leia.

2. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Genghis12: The novel I was talking about was "The Hutt Gambit", not DE. I know Vima makes an appearance in DE and give Leia her lightsaber. I don't remember much else. I should re-read those. :) I also have the audio book to DE... Did you just mean that there is added stuff in DE's audio adaptation also?

It is interesting though, to think of how DE and HTTE were being written around the same time or DE even befor HTTE. It's easy to forget that many of these novels and comics are written at the same time as others. :)

3. set271

set271 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2000
    Boushh, you're awesome. Thanks so much for posting that. It's very interesting! Oh, I loved that ?Last Man Standing? story, too! :)

[Waves at Dant] Thanks for starting this thread! It'll be fun.

Here are a few of my random thoughts:

Favorite Han Moment:
    Crispin, "Paradise Snare," Han's induction into the Academy and last encounter with Garris Shrike.

Favorite Han and Leia Moment:
    Ah, so many... if I had to choose only one, I guess it would be Hambly, COTJ, the conversation on the porch. I just thought that was lovely.

Favorite Luke/Han/Leia moment:
    This one has to be Tyers, TaB, a little throwaway scene in which Han has to surrender his weapons? he hands over his blaster, and Luke and Leia just stare at him until he hands over various *other* weapons on his person. Classic L/H/L!

4. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    What book was that when Han and Leia had that conversation about the creators of the death star?? Do you know what I'm talking about? I thought that was great.

Yeah, I don't think the EU is all bad. I just have my share of gripes (but don't worry, I'll save *those* for the other threads ;))

5. DantSolo

DantSolo Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    ::waves back to set271:: Hey, I'm glad I started this thread too!:D

I love all those moments you mentioned, set271! Good choices!

I'd have to pick the same Han & Leia moment as you....porch, COTJ.....::SIGH:: She's a lucky woman;)

Fave Han moment: Yeesh, so many to choose from.....I would have to pick in the HST when Han is drunk, after he has rescued Chewie. My heart just aches for him:(

I'll have to give the fave Han, Leia, Luke moment some thought......

I'll be back.....;)

6. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    Hey Yanksfan! Welcome aboard....:)

That scene you mentioned is from COTJ....my fave;) Great scene:)

I appreciate that you're leaving the gripes out of here......that's not what this thread is for;) So thanks!

And I'm glad to see you:D

7. ariel

ariel Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey all, everyone here probably knows I'm not an EU fan but I will leave my dislike away from this thread and just say the parts I like about the EU :) Great to have two Han/Leia threads in literature, the more the better :D

My favourite Han/Leia EU scene would be the scene with them in the doorway in Children of the Jedi and Leia said that Han's childlike innocence drew her to him IIRC . . . great book for Han/Leia :)

Favourite Han moment would be when he's thinking about Leia in POT and how a life without her would be like a tunnel with no light at the end or something like that, and how he couldn't even imagine living without her.

Favourite Leia moment is also in POT when she goes against the evil version of herself who tells her to fight and draw her sword and she says no, puts her lightsaber away, and leaves.

My favourite Luke/Leia/Han moment..I like that part in HTTE where Leia gets mad at Han for changing something without telling her (I forget what it was), and he says "There wasn't any time to discuss it as a committee.", Leia goes "I'm *not* a committee" and Luke watching them with amusement and thinks "Someday he would have to ask them what this particular private joke of theirs referred to."...I thought that was cute :) I think Zahn did the best L/H/L stuff.

8. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Hey ariel great to see you here and that I'm not the only non EU fan but who still would like to post here :D

I notice that Hambly has great favor in this thread hehehe...I think the women writers do H/L justice much better.

I love that doorway scene too! One of my favs. I actually read a fanfic on it that was *really* good which continues the scene :D POT I had issues with the lack of action and her use of wording, but Han worrying about Leia and Leia finally using a lightsaber were great....and who could forget the line about the rug...:D

I did like the original Zahn trilogy. Although I felt there was a lack of H/L romance, the way it was written was excellent, and he was the one of the few authors who actually had the trio work together. We almost never see that in the books now, they're usually split up. So it was great when he put in some L/H/L scenes like the one you mentioned.

Hehe I've rambled on for long enough now, ciao. :D

9. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    OK, got it!!!:D

Fave Han, Leia, Luke moment: BFC: BTS, when Leia and Luke have the argument about Luke searching for information about their mother. I think that Leia's feelings came through very clear, regarding her desire to leave the past behind them and start anew with her own family. And I liked the way Han reacted to both Leia and Luke, in that he knew Leia was not going to take what Luke had to say with a smile. I also loved his comment that they were both as stubborn as Tauntauns:)

Fave Leia moment: In SOTE: When she is in the cantina on Tatooine with Chewie, insisting she can handle the leering patrons on her own......then she finds she must use her blaster after all. Just too funny, especially Chewie's reaction:)

I liked the Zahn trilogy, and I thought he wrote the Han, Leia, Luke dynamic wonderfully, as well as the sci-fi element, however, I found the characters a bit lacking in depth. I think the only time a character came across with extreme emotion of any kind was when Mara was thinking about how much she wanted to kill Luke;) LOL

But overall, the trilogy was very good:)

10. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    This is so much fun! Everyone's bringing up moments I haven't thought of in awhile. I was trying to think of a good Leia moment, and I'm going to have to re-read that part in SOTE, Dant, because I recall getting a kick out of that, too.

I find (since my memory's going) that it's almost as fun to RE-discover this stuff as it is to read it in the first place! :)

11. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Ok, so what is this 'porch scene' everyone's referring to? Is that the same as the death star talk??

I'm sorry, but I have the worst memory known to man. And I read all these books in one summer two years ago so they tend to run together......

12. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    Hehehe...SOTE is a great Leia book, set271. I had issues with the steaminess of the book, but Leia has the fire she lacks in a lot of books in that one. My second favourite Leia moment is when she knees Xizor where it hurts. He totally deserved it...

13. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    LOL set271, looks like we *both* have bad memories. Oh well.

But man, makes me wish I still had my copy of COTJ laying around. I don't know what happened to it....:(

14. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Dant: Fave Han, Leia, Luke moment: BFC: BTS, when Leia and Luke have the argument about Luke searching for information about their mother. I think that Leia's feelings came through very clear, regarding her desire to leave the past behind them and start anew with her own family. And I liked the way Han reacted to both Leia and Luke, in that he knew Leia was not going to take what Luke had to say with a smile. I also loved his comment that they were both as stubborn as Tauntauns

Yes!!!!!!! Incredible, moment. :) I also like how at the end of Leia's rant Luke says something like "I'm sorry you were right. I was wrong to assume that I know her better than you do." I was like "Lukie you were warned. Now let poor Han clean up the mess you made. ;)"

ariel: I like that whole comittee thing in HTTE also. I also liked how their argument subsided very quicly after the mention of that old phrase.

SOTE: Not a fan of the book as a whole, but I did like Leia's nightmare. I felt bad for her in a big way.

How about in TaB: The inflatable pillows scene? :)

15. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Ahhh, Boushh-what???

I have NO memory remember? Elaborate! Elaborate!!! :) :)

16. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    boushh2187: Ah, yes, the pillows....too bad they got interrupted, it seemed so promising;)
    And LOL about the "Lukie" thing:)

What about in SOTP: When Han gives Leia the massage on the couch, then brings up the trip to Pakrik Minor:) Niiiiiice:D

Yanksfan: LOL....this is why I've taken to reading the novels multiple times....otherwise, I'd be like: What? They had kids? Huh?

LOLOLOLOLOL......an exageration, of course;)

17. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    My memory is rusty with TAB but I kinda remember that scene...there was like berry wine too and Chewie set the whole thing up?Then the comlink beeped and Han was annoyed because it was just when Leia was starting to relax in his arms? Too bad they got interrupted (again)...BFC I have barely any recollection of, anyhow want to elaborate on the argument? I don't remember that, but then I barely remember anything about BFC...

The Zahn duology did way better with H/L stuff than the trilogy...I liked it when Han came back from his mission and Leia said she was going to give him some "wifely affection" for a few hours...:)

18. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    Okay, that's it. I'm re-reading the entire EU while waiting for "Conquest".

[high-fives Yanksfan] Memory? Who needs a good memory when we have the awesome people on this board to remind us of all the good stuff?? :)

19. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Dant: The massage... I forgot about that too! :)

Yanksfan: The inflatable pillows is a must read. :) Chewie sets up this very blatant romantic interlude for them in the Falcon's cargo hold... and Leia ends up pushing Han onto the inflatable pillows, if I remember right. It's really cute. :)

set271: I've been feeling like re-reading a lot of the EU myself lately. :) Especially that "Last Man Standing" story...

20. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    TAB had some good romance but it was annoying how they always got interrupted....I liked the kiss they had. I think that was the only time in the EU their kiss was described other than "they kissed".

And I agree that the Zahn duology was much better than the Zahn trilogy in terms of H/L romance. Too bad their vacation didn't turn out the way they planned though :(

21. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    In TaB they did have a good part of a day to themselves ("off-screen")... I love it when Leia has to account for that time to Luke, and then the next day he's the overprotective brother and asks Han why he's more "pleased with himself". Kathy Tyers actually had some interesting things to say about this over on her BP thread...

22. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    From sweetheart:
    "TAB had some good romance but it was annoying how they always got interrupted....I liked the kiss they had. I think that was the only time in the EU their kiss was described other than "they kissed"."

CoPL has at least one moment that is described with more than just "they kissed". But then again, most of you dislike this book, I believe. ;)

From set271:
    "In TaB they did have a good part of a day to themselves ("off-screen")... I love it when Leia has to account for that time to Luke, and then the next day he's the overprotective brother and asks Han why he's more "pleased with himself". Kathy Tyers actually had some interesting things to say about this over on her BP thread..."

TaB had good moments, yes. :) I like when Leia gets all flustered when Luke asks her "You and Han aren't opposed to having children are you?"

And yes Tyers did make interesting comments on whether or not they did or didn't in that book. ;)

23. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd rather have them be interrupted while sharing a romantic moment than nothing at all...sides in the films they got interrupted quite a bit...

Hmm my memory seems to be shot too...I can't remember that scene set271 is referring too but then it's been a long time since I look at TAB...I just remember the H/L bits mostly...

24. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Hello. Nice to see some familiar faces. Great idea for a thread Dant. :)

I love Han and Leia. As much as I like Luke and Mara and Anakin and Padmé, Han and Leia are, and always will be *the* original couple of Star Wars.

My favorite EU novels are hands down, the Han Solo Trilogy (with Paradise Snare being my #1), because they are about Han's background, and Han was the first Star Wars guy I fell for (the second being Lando). However, Leia isn't in them, except for a mention of Leia sitting on her father's lap when Han travels to Alderaan in The Paradise Snare, and when Bria talks to Leia's aide Winter in Rebel Dawn.

So, as far as EU Han/Leia goes, I'd have to say... I really enjoyed the H/L interaction in Truce at Bakura. HttE is notiable too, for it was the first novel to show Han and Leia as a married couple. While not my favorite, I also enjoyed the Courtship of Princess Leia. I LOL at so many different parts in that one. :)

~*~Bria

25. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    I like the line in TNR where Han thinks that if anything bad ever happened to Leia or the kids, he would never be a nice man ever again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.