main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han and Leia: An EU Fan's Haven

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DantSolo, Mar 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Go, Yanksfan, Go! :)

2. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Ok, so we're ready to move on to THG. (Pulls out well read copy of before mentioned book.) ;) Where do we start? How about the cover? Anybody else think it is a good likeness of a young Han? Looks pretty much the way I invisioned him to look at that age. :D

I think one of my favorite things in this book was Han's thoughts early on concerning Chewie's life debt:

<<Life debt . . . great. Just what I need, Han thought bitterly. A big furry nursemaid trailing after me, giving me advice, fussing over me if I drink too much, telling me he's gonna take care of me. Great. Just great.>>

Sounds like the thoughts of someone who has just recently gotten out from under the skirt tails of a parent or guardian and anxious to exert his independence. [face_mischief]

I was rather disappointed the book didn't elaborate more on Han's academy days, although I understand that AC Crispin was told not to do so. (I wonder if GL has plans for this story down the road.) Also, I would have liked more detail as to Han's rescue of Chewie. Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. :)

3. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I think it is just assumed that Jaina was Han's mother's name, because one of the ships Han had before Yavin was called Jaina's light. I posted a short Han/Chewie scene from this story several pages ago. It in Han and Chewie smuggle some spaceships, and at the end Han says it looks like the Rebllion could be profitable for them. It is not in THG or RD because the story it's in hadn't yet been written. But, this seems to conflict with the info from PS and CoPL.

The story is from Star Wars Tales #2, I think. I could be wrong on the issue #, but it is a 'Tales,' which means that it is completely non-canon even among the EU (please, don't take this to mean I'm trying to start a canon/non-canon debate, because I'm not). Recently (I believe the latest Tales issue, #7) Tales was given the 'Infinities' stamp, which means it's merely a possibility. I personally accept the stories in Tales unless it conflicts with previous accounts, or it's stupid (the BF story in the latest issue).

Ok, time for Hutt Gambit. That was the least favorite of the trilogy for me for several different reasons, but I did like it (how could I not like a book focused on Han? ;)). I too wish Ann could've written more about Han's academy days, but Uncle George had the final say on that.

Since the Hutt Gambit came out, we have had two glimpses into Han's Imperial days, which has helped. One of them was in Chewbacca #4, and the other was in a 'Tales' I think (but not the issue I?ve previously mentioned).

I hope that's coherent... if not, I apologize. Blame it on the medication I'm on for my cold. It makes me sleepy. ;)

~*~Bria

4. Sologal

Aug 21, 2000
    Bria - when you talk about SW Tales, are these comic books or collections of short stories? I've heard of them but don't recall having seen them in the bookstores. :)

5. Bria

May 15, 1999
    I'm speaking of the comic SW Tales. The tales books I always refer to by the name of the book that I'm talking about (Tales of the Bounty Hunters, Tales from the New Republic, etc). :)

*cough* Anybody want a cold? I'll glad give it away for free. :p

~*~Bria

6. set271

set271 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2000
    Boushh: Thanks!! Didn?t make it to the restaurant you mentioned. I?ll have to try it next trip! :)

I?m glad Han?s family info is inconsistent and mysterious. I just like to think he?s totally on his own and unique. He obviously came from *somewhere,* but I?d rather never know for sure. :)

Sologal: I like the cover very much, too! A good interpretation by Struzan of that ANH still, making him look younger.

I definely hope for further info on Han?s academy time and rescue of Chewie someday, too. It doesn?t seem like the Ep. 2-3 time frame would allow for that storyline, but since Lucas is so insistent it not be covered elsewhere, I?m holdin? out hope! :)

Bria: Okay, I KNEW I wasn?t dreaming!! Thank you. Now I remember that comic. I have no idea where mine is, though, so I can?t quote the Jaina?s Light reference. [Hint hint]? :D Hope you get over that cold very soon!

:)

7. ariel

ariel Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Good afternoon everyone, Gandolf has posted some spoilers about Conquest in the LFL thread if you want to check it out.

not good spoilers, as a warning.

8. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Yeah man, I was kinda hoping to get some more stuff on when Han was in the academy. I was chomping at the bit for some of those details. And I also thought we were gonna actually get to *see* him rescue Chewie.

Oh well. If the author wasn't allowed to do it, then she wasn't allowed to do it.

But, ha ha, believe it or not, I was actually psyched to see Jabba again. Ha ha...what's wrong with me?

(ps that's a rhetorical question, don't bombard me with PMs that lay out all my inadequacies) :D

9. Bria

May 15, 1999
    set271- nope, dreaming you were not. :D I'll post the quote when I get home. :)

~*~Bria

10. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    Thanks, Bria! :)

Yanksfan: Hey, you?d hardly be a SW fan if you weren?t looking forward to an appearance by our favorite slug! :)

11. Sologal

Aug 21, 2000
    Hi all. I sent a letter to Del Rey and Lucasfilm a couple weeks ago outlining some concerns I have with the NJO and I received a response back from them (most likely a form letter). I posted it on the LFL thread if anybody is interested in reading it. :)

12. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    Thanks for posting it, Sologal.

I work for a large entertainment company which wouldn't even have responded to something like that. I'm encouraged and hopeful.

13. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Ok, here it is... it's not much:

Imperial Lieutenant: The vessel is Corellian en route to Nadiem, a smallish farming colony on the Rim. The ship is registered as Jaina's Light. The captain says it's named for his mother. His name is Han Solo.

There you have it. I had forgotten that it *was* actually given to Han's mother, but I suppose he could've made that up to sound good. However for him to then have a daughter with that name? It must mean *something.*

~*~Bria

14. ariel

ariel Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    News on Conquest guys, but you won't be happy with it....

Head over to the LFL thread if you want to see the spoilers.

15. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Sologal: Very interesting response indeed. I hope that her words hold true. :) It would be nice... but again... as passionate as H/L fans are, not everyone is gonna be pleased with whatever happens. I just hope their storylines are good enough to please most people...

set271: you are so right about large companies usually not caring about fans of their products etc...

Bria: Thanks for the reference about the ship!... Now I wonder how canon those comics are...

16. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    ariel: Thanks for the tip. I couldn't resist the lure of spoilers and headed over... :)

Bria: Thanks for posting that! I remember thinking that it might had been a name he had come up with for his mother, since he didn't remember her... VERY interesting.

Boushh: Yeah, it's really too bad. And we just get SOOOOO many letters... :)

17. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    I'm jumping on the wagon late here, but I thought it was so funny how someone mentioned the cover art for Hutt Gambit. Yeah, that was like my first thought when I got it: wow, this a really good likeness of what a younger han solo would look like.

:)

EDIT: This post really added *nothing* to the thread, did it?

*shakes head*

Nah, I didn't think so....

18. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I won't argue there, Yanksfan...Han looks awfully nice on those covers.

*Just had to rescue this thread from page two.*

19. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Continued reading Hutt Gambit...Lando! How psyched was I to see him! I *love* Lando suddenly! Someone please explain to me *why*. I don't understand it, but I am ready to like form a "Lando Calrissian Fanclub: Don't need to be respectable to be accepted."

I'm weird. But whatever. And was anyone else put off by the Jabba's Uncle suddenly becoming an 'aunt' because he/she/it was pregnant. LOL! How *bizarre*.......

20. Sologal

Aug 21, 2000
    Bria - thanks for posting that reference. That's interesting. Makes me wonder if Han finally was able to at least discover who is parents were.

Yanksfan - Agree with you about Jiliac going from male to female. Really weird. And I like Lando as well. Not as much as Han, mind you, but I always felt that he and Han were the most interesting characters because of their rather ambiguous and checkered pasts. :)

21. DantSolo

DantSolo Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    Yanksfan: I had to read that Jilliac thing like 3 times....I was baffled. And did you not like Lando before?

22. Bria

May 15, 1999
    You welcome to everyone who thanked me. If there's a question about a Dark Horse comic, chances are I have it. ;)

Someone's becoming a Lando fan? Lando needs all the fans he can get after what Salvatore did to him. :( Glad to hear you're joining the ranks Yanksfan. :)

For anybody who is interested, I was sick while reading the Hutt Gambit my first time, and when I got to the part where Lando is brought in I almost fell out of bed I was so shocked. ;)

~*~Bria

23. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001

Han and Lando are such fun characters because they can do things that other characters would not. We are not shocked or disappointed when they do something wrong or make mistakes. Otherwise, they don't have to walk on water like some of the other characters do. They also have enough charm that we can easily forgive them for their transgressions.

24. Bria

May 15, 1999
    *nods in agreement* Exzactly. With the exception of R2 (bestest droid there ever was :)), it's the 'gray' characters in SW I enjoy so much: Han, Lando, Bria, and Mara Jade. I understand when they make mistakes or do stupid things, but it doesn't stop me from liking them. :)

In Han and Lando's case, the charm factor is also a big turn on. *sigh* ;)

~*~Bria

25. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    I was freaked out by the Jiliac thing too! The he/she thing was just a bit confusing at first. But once I dealt with it then I found it really funny when they started referring to Jiliac as "Aunt". :)

One of the funniest scenes in HG was when Boba Fett comes in and shoots Han with the dart... and then Lando gets Fett and he has to tell Han to stop walking away before he walks off a cliff... I'm describing this very poorly, aren't I? :) Anyway, I fell out of my chair when that hapened. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.