Han and Leia: An EU Fan's Haven

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DantSolo, Mar 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DantSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    ROTFL!!!

I had completely forgotten that scene!!

My favorite cover is TPS, Han just looks amazing there! He's looking pretty good on the other 2 also ;)
  2. Ginger Jedi Master

star 4

My favorite cover is the TPS. He looks so young and pretty there. Great scene Set271. I still need to review the book to remember what my favorite scenes are. It seems like another old lady grabs a hold of him later, may have been the fortune teller, and he had a funny response to that. Something about "Why are old ladies so hot for me?" Something like that, it's been awhile since I read the book.
  3. set271 Jedi Master

star 4
    Dant: I'd forgotten that scene, too! :)

Okay, this is LONG and I think we've quoted it before, but I had time, so what the heck! :)

Here's the scene, Ginger:

Han eyed their surroundings, and concluded that back in his days as a burglar he?d have given this area a clean miss. It was unprepossessing. Drunks weaved along the pemacrete, and the glidewalks down on this level were permanently broken. Beggars and pickpockets eyed them, but didn?t approach the trio. Han figured that was because Chewbacca was wearing his fiercest ?Don?t mess with me or I?ll rip your arm off? look.

But suddenly, what Han had assumed was a heap of old, grimy rags stirred. From within the rags a skeletal human hand appeared, and Han caught just a glimpse of a beaky-nosed, nearly toothless face. An ancient crone, whose eyes shone bright with? what? Drugs? Madness?

*Oh, no! Not again! What is it with all the old women on Nar Shaddaa? Can?t wait to get their hands on young pilots?*

Han drew back, but the liquor had slowed his reflexes, and he wasn?t quick enough. A second talonlike hand shot out of the heap of tatters and grabbed his wrist. ?Tell your fortunes, good sirs? Tell your fortunes, masters?? The voice was shrill and squeaky, and Han couldn?t place the accent. ?The descendant of Vima Sunrider has foreseen the future, good sirs! For a credit she will tell you what lies ahead.?

?Lemme go!? Han tried to yank his hand free from the filthy claw, but the ancient woman?s grip was surprisingly strong. He fumbled for a credit coin, just to make her let go of him. He didn?t want to have to stun the crone ? at her age a stun blast might kill her. ?Here! Take th? credit and lemme go!? He dropped the money in her lap.

?Vima no beggar!? the old woman insisted indignantly. ?She earns her credit! Foresees the future, yesssss she does! Vima knows, yessssss??

Han stopped and sighed, rolling his eyes. At least she wasn?t propositioning him. ?Go ahead, then,? he snapped.

?Ah, young captain?? she half crooned, prying open his fist and staring at his palm, then up at his face. ?So young? so much lies before you. A long road, first the smuggler?s road, then the way of the warrior. Glory you will have, yessssss. But first you must face terrible danger. Betrayal, yessssss? betrayal from those you trust. Betrayal?? Her eyes fixed for a second on Mako, and the older man and Han exchanged exasperated glances.

?So I?m gonna be betrayed,? Han said impatiently. ?Will I get rich? Thass all I care about.?

?Ahhhhhhh?? she cackled shrilly. ?My young captain, yessssss? wealth will come to you, but only after you no longer care about it.?

Han burst out laughing. ?That?ll be the day! Grandma, gettin? rich is ALL I care about!?

?Yesssss, that is true. Much you will do for money. But more will you do for love.?

?Great,? Han snarled, trying again to yank free. ?Thass it, I?ve had ?nuff of this garbage,? he growled, and with a hard flex of his wrist, be broke her grip. ?Thanks for nothing? nutty old witch. Don?t ever bother me again.?

Turning unsteadily on his heel, Han stalked away, scowling, with Chewbacca and Mako in his wake. He could hear Mako snickering, and Chewie was still chuckling. Han scowled. The crazy old thing had made a fool of him!

The permacrete beneath his feet seemed to lurch slightly, and all Han could think about was how good it was going to feel to stretch out on Mako?s couch, or floor, and grab some sleep.

Behind him, he could hear the old woman cackling softly, crooning nonsense to herself.

Han hardly remembered climbing the rampway to Mako?s flat, and he didn?t remember falling onto the couch at all. He was instantly asleep, and this time, he didn?t dream.

When he awakened the next morning, he?d forgotten all about the old woman and her ?foretelling.?

4. Yanksfan Chosen One

star 5
    Sooo....am I dense or filled with wishful thinking or whatever, or was the fortune teller talking about Leia? Right? Well I mean the 'betrayal' had to be Bria, right? But his doing much for love--that was Leia. Right? Right?

I also liked seeing that Blue character, again. You know, the one that was also in New Rebellion. Heheh, I loved how this time around she was completely *uninterested* in Han, and basically it's because he's available. :D

5. DantSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Yanksfan: I'm pretty sure the betrayal was by Mako, who betrays Han in Dark Empire. That's why she gives Mako the odd look. And as for Han doing so much for love---dude, *of course* it's Leia! You have to ask??? ;)
  6. set271 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, it was Leia, definitely. Although I think she's talking about more than one betrayal.

I liked that scene with the Blue character, too! Just re-read it, in fact. Very funny observation. :)
  7. Ginger Jedi Master

star 4

"Betrayal from those you trust." I'd say she probably saw all the betrayals, Mako, Bria, Lando, anyone else I forgetting?

That was most definately Leia she was talking about, the love of Han's life.

Thanks for posting that scene.
  8. Yanksfan Chosen One

star 5
    okay, wait, I didn't know about Mako betraying Han.....

but I'm glad to see the consensus is that she *was* talking about Leia. :)

(I need to take whatever crumbs I can get from this trilogy, it keeps me (relatively) saner that way).

Okay, this *is* a slight criticism, but I wanted to discuss it. Did anyone else have trouble picturing Han travelling in that magic show with xavierr (or whatever her name is). I mean-I don't know-I couldn't picture him wearing those ridiculous outfits or---I just couldn't see him doing that at all. It seemed like one of those bizarre fanfics that I can never quite swallow. You know? I wanted to know what you guys thought about it.
  9. set271 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hee hee... I remember being on the fence about that one, too -- I couldn't really picture him doing that, but at the same time it was entertaining and I enjoyed reading it. I mean, why not? If the money was good enough...

I need to re-read that part, though.

EDIT: Just re-read it (much shorter than I'd remembered!)

Yeah, I think the idea's funny, but maybe there should have been more of a monetary incentive for him? Learning the "illusion" aspect was valuable, I suppose, but I'm just not sure he'd really don that getup.

But what a picture THAT is... :)
  10. Ginger Jedi Master

star 4

Yeah, that was a little too strange for me, I had trouble picturing it. If I remember right, the magic act was actually a ruse. She was actually using the tour to sabotage the government. Causing trouble, that's probably the part that Han was enjoying.
  11. set271 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, yeah. If I'd re-read it in context, I'd know that (the sabotage part).

I also remember thinking that it was kind of high-profile for him... he still had enemies, didn't he?
  12. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    set271: Holy Cow I forgot about that scene with the Twyleck (sp?) woman!!! Too funny. :)

The Fortune Teller: She was most definitely talking about Leia. No doubt. I think they even felt the need to clarify that in the audio book because there is more dialogue in there that makes it even clearer... I quoted the two versions earlier in this thread somewhere. If I wasn't at work I'd hunt them down. :) The betrayal mentioned... I agree that she was probably talking about all of the different ones Mako, Bria, Lando etc...

Xaverri and the magic show: That was a bit odd to picture. I don't know if I see him doing that... But you know he had other motives for being her assistant anyway. ;) Seriously though, it was a bit odd. Funny but odd.
  13. Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council

star 7
    I *love* the scene with Vima Da Boda. Of course, it *is* easy for a fortune teller to predict the future when the author already knows what happens? ;)

I think the reason Vima focuses on Mako is because he is one of the people that 'betrays' Han, but he is also the only one that does who is present in the scene. I didn't know it the first time around, but it was forshading not only the events of Empire Strikes Back and Dark Empire, but also Rebel Dawn, sadly enough. And of course the other bit was about Leia. I can't imagine anyone thinking otherwise. ;)

Anyway... all in all, a very cool scene. If only Han had remembered Vima when DE came around, but that'd be pretty hard, considering DE predates THG. :p

~*~Bria
  14. set271 Jedi Master

star 4
    I knew all of this seemed familiar, Boushh! :)

I found your quote from the audio book (and it was one of the first posts on this thread, too!):

"Ah, young captain..." she crooned, "So much lies before you. A long road, first the smuggler road, then the way of the warrior. Glory you will have, yesssss. But first you must face a terrible danger. Betrayal, yessss.. betrayal from those you trust." Her eyes fixed for a second on Mako, and the older man and Han exchanged exasperated glances.

"Ahhhhh..."she cackled shrilly. "My young captian, yessss... wealth will come to you, but only after you no longer care about it."

Han burst out laughing. "That'll be the day! Grandma, gettin' rich is ALL I care about!"

"Yessss, that is true. Much will you do for money. But more will you do for love. Brave leader of many you will be. But beware the long, cold darkness like death. Only love shall free you to achieve the greatest glory. I see a dark eyed woman, beautiful of noble blood. She shall be yours! "

"Thass it. I've had 'nuff of his garbage,"

Interesting!

And "odd" is a good word for the whole magic show thing.

:)
  15. DantSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Yanksfan: Criticism is cool, it's bashing that I can't stand. :)

The magic show......yeah, must admit, not something I would expect of Han Solo. I *suppose* it has it's comedic value, but....well, it's not the easiest mental picture to form.
  16. set271 Jedi Master

star 4
    Me too, Dant. Thoughtful criticism is cool with me. :)

How about Jarik? What did you guys think of him?
  17. Sologal Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks set271 for posting that scene. It is definitely one of my favorites in the [face_love] series.

Vima was undeniably talking about Leia. For one thing she said that he would have wealth when he no longer cared about it and he didn't stop caring about having money until he fell in love with Leia. I figured she was talking about Mako and Lando when she mentioned being betrayed, but I never really thought about Bria, although I can see that as well now. I found it pretty hard to imagine Han traveling with a magic show too. But I suppose if the money was good enough, afterall, if I remember right, at that point in time he was saving to buy his own ship. And there were other 'fringe' benefits involved. ;) Xaveri was almost his undoing if I remember correctly. Wasn't he on his way home from her room when Boba Fett caught up with him? I must skim through this book again. :)

So Dant, when does your next story start. It doesn't sound like we're going to get much Han and Leia in Conquest. I need to get my Han and Leia fics (fix) some way. :D
  18. DantSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Sologal: Wednesday, I promise you :) It's so nice to be wanted, LOL. ;)
  19. set271 Jedi Master

star 4
    Didn't you hear, Sologal? Dant's going to write all of the H/L "missing moments" for Conquest. ;)

:D

Sologal said: "I need to get my Han and Leia fics (fix) some way"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Don't we all. :)
  20. DantSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    ::stares dumbly at set271's last post::

Um.........................................................................................uh.....................................................hey......I'm working on the missing BP moments......isn't that enough? Yeesh! ;)
  21. Sologal Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe it's just as well Dant is writing them anyway. I'm sure they'll be much better. ;)
  22. DantSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    Sologal: I never said I was doing the Conquest missing moments, sorry. set271, look at the trouble you're causing!! ;)
  23. set271 Jedi Master

star 4
    KIDDING, KIDDING!! Sorry Dant. Didn't mean to commit you to more work. :) Lookin' forward to the BP fic! :)
  24. DantSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    It's ok, set271, I just don't want anyone to be expecting it, that's all. :)
  25. Sologal Force Ghost

star 4
    I knew set271 was kidding Dant. ;) I was just playing along. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.