main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han and Leia: An EU Fan's Haven

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DantSolo, Mar 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DantSolo

DantSolo Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    ::smacks self on forehead::

DUH! Pardon my stupidity, I haven't been getting that much sleep these days. Online too much, you ask? Why, no, no, what would make you say a thing like that? ;)

2. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Geez, I wonder Dant. :p

Looks like this should be a great week. Conquest, the Essential Guide to Aliens, Dant's new fic... what more could I ask for? ;)

~*~Bria

3. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    set271: Thanks for hunting down that old post of mine. :) I can't figure out if I like the written version or the audio book version of the Vima scene better...

Jarick... I liked him. :) He was sweet. :)

Hey there is an interview with Greg Keyes at the official site for those interested...

4. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    boushh: I vote for the audio scene :)

5. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    J_Girl: Yeah... I think I might have to lean in that direction also. ;)

6. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    I think I like the audio version better. It left no doubt as to who Vima was referring when she said Han would do more for love. I always wondered if Han remembered that fortelling and whether he realizes that it all came true. :)

I liked Jarik too, boussh. I loved the way he looked up to Han and the way Han befriended him even though he knew they weren't really related.

7. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Looks like I'm in the minority here, but *shrugs* so be it. :) I like the scene in the book better, because it has Ann's own words. It's plain enough that Vima is talking about Leia in the scene. Who else makes him rich after he no longer cares for money? I don't really see the need for it to be changed, but I can understand die-hard Leia fans liking that it was. ;)

Jarik rocks. I like him. :cool:

~*~Bria

8. set271

set271 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2000
    No, I know what you mean, Bria. I thought it was clear in the book. It?s fun to have that audio transcript too, since it?s more detailed, but I didn?t feel like it necessarily needed to be expanded upon.

I haven?t re-read the Jarik part in THG yet, but from what I remember, I thought he was kind of the obligatory pre-Luke character, if that makes any sense. I wasn?t sure how I felt about him calling himself ?Solo?. Obviously, I need to read it again! :)

9. Sologal

Aug 21, 2000
    Personally, I thought the book version was very clear on that as well. I think the reason I lean more toward the audio version is because Vima prophesied it so clearly to Han. If he were to think back to that then he should instantly realize that Vima was referring to Leia. Just in case he didn't believe they were destined to be together. Not that he really needed anyone to tell him that. Am I making any sense here? :)

10. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    You're making sense, Sologal. :) Like, it's always nice to hear confirmation from an impartial third party.

If only he hadn't been so inebriated at the time! :)

11. Sologal

Aug 21, 2000
    Exactly, set271. To us, the reader, the book version made perfect sense since we already knew what was going to happen. To Han, however, the book version was a bit ambiguous and left room for uncertainty. Of course, because of his inebriated state, he wouldn't have remembered anyway. :)

12. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Foretelling Book Version and Audio Version: I like both. I thought it was pretty clear to the reader who Vima was referring to. But as Sologal (I think?) said it would be more obvious to Han later on had it been the audio version that he heard. But in all likelihood he forgot the whole thing as the book suggests later on. :) Han isn't the type to listen to fortune tellers... especially at that point in time. ;)

I always wondered if the audio book version was changed without the knowledge of AC Crispin, or if she had made the change herself OR the audio book version was an earlier draft of the scene... I keep thinking I'll ask her if I ran into her in these boards...

Jarik: I dunno. I liked him. He seemed to look up to Han in that Luke predesesor (sp?) sort of way that set271 mentioned. I just liked that he looked up to Han so much that he took on that last name. Plus I just liked the character in general. :)

13. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    Boushh -- that would be a very interesting question for her. I wonder if she's been around lately?

Yeah, I need to re-read (sorry -- I know I keep saying that) the Jarik stuff to refresh my memory. Those were just the impressions I remembered from reading it a few years ago.

Just thumbing through and found this familiar sentiment:

THG, pg. 276

When Han caught up with them, Salla grabbed Han's arm and squeezed it, then gave him a kiss on the cheek. "You were great," she said. "You're always great, Han. I swear, you're a natural leader."

The Corellian grinned, a little abashed. "Who, me?"

:)

14. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Yay! I finished with my school work in time to make it to the bookstore. I was beginning to think I'd have to wait to tomorrow, and that would be *horrid*. ;) So after I post this it's off to the gas station (been waiting till the prices went down, now that the Final 4 is done and gone) and then Borders. :)

I like the book version better, but my main problem with the audio version is the audio. I don't mind what it says (though I think it's clear enough w/o the changes), but the guy's voice. I don't know, something about it just bugs me. I don't like it. ESPECIALLY on female characters. I cannot *stand* the way him doing Bria. I mean, I have no idea what she sounds like, but she doesn't sound like *him.* Perhaps if a woman had read the female parts it would'nt have bugged me as much...

Anyway... wish me luck. Hopefully Borders will still have 1 copy of both the Essential Guide to Aliens and Conquest left. :)

~*~Bria

15. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    Go Bria! I'm sure you'll find a copy. :)

My husband picked up Conquest for me today, so I'll snag it from him shortly! Can't wait to crack it open.

Hmmm, I'd forgotten about the *audio* aspect of the audio version! :) That would be irritating, if you're not wild about the reader's performance. Don't have THG audio -- I did buy all of the audio versions for a few years but finally realized how much I was spending when most of my favorite parts were heavily abridged anyway, and stopped buying them.

16. Sologal

Aug 21, 2000
    I got my copy of Conquest. Had to drive 45 miles to find it. Am I obsessed or what. Haven't got much of it read yet. You suppose that's why the boards are so quiet today? Everyone too busy reading Conquest. :)

17. Bria

May 15, 1999
    I'm baccccckkkkkkk.....

:) :) :) :) :)

I got Conquest... not that I've really even glanced at it. I'm devouring the Essential Guide to Aliens. Bria's mentioned in it!!!! Wahoo!!!! *dance of joy* This *more* than makes up for not seeing that Lando-likealike teacher today!!! :D :D :D :D :D *calms down* Anyway... here is the entry, for anyone is interested (thanks Dant, you rock!!!!):

Bria's Journal:

Whatever the t'landa Til did, I was helpless against their power. Years later I still year for the feelings their abilities stirred in me. It was glorious- like embracing love, peace, and the feeling of achievement all at one time, combined with the glorious physical, intimate pleasure.

When I left it behind, the depression I experienced was colossal. I wanted to end my life, rather than face the misery of living without the euphoria- even though I knew it was all a sham.

Oh, btw... there's a little Han blurb in the book... anyone want me to post it?

Hmmm... about who wrote the audio except... I'll ask Ann and get back to ya all. ;)

~*~Bria

18. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Dudes, I am so unworthy of this place. I forgot that 'Conquest' even came out today.

Speaking of annoying audio-tape voices. Ha ha, did anyone ever listen to the correllian trilogy on tape? Ha ha, the guy doing Jaina's voice is ridiculous. But it was funny, and anything funny is good in my book. :D

I'm *almost* done with Hutt Gambit. I have to tell you, I am really liking it. I love how we get into the sordid double-lives of these Imperial officers. Ha ha! They're all womanizing cheaters. It's funny.

And BTW Salla doesn't bug me in the slightest. She is *exactly* the kind of girlfriend I would imagine Han having before Leia.

19. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Yanksfan-

Tsk Tsk girl! :p

Salla is ok. :) Poor Han though. Take Lando's advice and run! ;)

~*~Bria

20. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Audio Book versions: Yeah, I hate that one person reads the entire book. I wish they had a man and a woman reading them. That way the guy can do the male parts and the girl can do the female parts... but nooo they have to torture us with stuff like Anthony Daniels trying to be Princess Leia... ;)

Yanksfan: I think it's so cool that you are liking The Hutt Gambit. It is a pretty good read, really. :) And I'll forgive you for the Conquest thing... besides you've still got the rest of HG and then Rebel Dawn to read. ;)

Conquest: Got it... Haven't read more than the prologue yet though... Long story... someone *needed* to borrow my copy of Onslought and we ended up having a X-Files/Buffy night. ;) I'll read more soon though!!! Bria... how spoilerish is the bit about Han you wanna post?

Salla: Yeah, she's totally the kinda girl you'd picture Han having around... :)

Bria: Go for it... ask Ann!!! :)

21. Bria

May 15, 1999
    I've only read the prolouge and chapter 1, but so far I'm liking Conquest. I cannot *wait* to see Tahiri, though I must confess to being a bit worried about her. Oh... I can also say I like Uldir in this much better than in the JJK books... hmmm... I'll read more today. Anybody want to chat on this, feel free to pm me. :)

Spoilerish boushh2187? Well, it kind of fits in with THG, which is why I thought of putting it up here, if ppl wanted to see it... here's the major spoiler: While with the Imperials, Han Solo saves Chewie and the wookiee swears him a life debt. Oops.... I just posted the major spoiler. :eek:

;) So, I take it you want to see it? ;)

~*~Bria

P.S. Ok, I'll ask Ann if I see her on tonight, or I'll email her. :)

22. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Bria: So far Conquest seems pretty good to me but I haven't gotten very far...

And was that the more spoilerish part of what you wanted to post or were you just joking? :) Anyway, PM me with the bit about Han if you want, unless it ends up giving away the whole point of the book (which I doubt)...

23. Sologal

Aug 21, 2000
    Actually Conquest has done nothing but depress me so far. :( I haven't gotten very far yet, but I'm extremely disappointed that Han and Leia do not even make an appearance. It's kind of hard for me to get through the Luke and Mara parts. Don't get me wrong. I love the character of Luke and although I don't love her, I do not dislike Mara. Still, it's hard to read all the wonderful loving dialogue they get when Han and Leia get nothing. I do like reading about their kids, though, so I intend to finish the book. :)

24. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Sologal: I'm not a big L/M fan either really. Mostly because I've felt that have been written horribly in the past. So their loving scenes or whatever don't usually mean much to me because I normally don't think they are very good. :) Don't mean to offend anyone. That's just my opinion. :) I have nothing against their characters of Luke and Mara themselves though.

I'm not very surprised about the lack of H/L. I was sort of playing the middle of the road when it came to this book. I could see DelRey having dropped them in the series if they were to appear in Knightfall and I could also see them trying to fit H/L in there after Knightfall had been cancelled. Anyway as it became more and more apparent that Conquest was going to be mostly an Anakin book, then I figured H/L wouldn't get more than a mention... Off topic here... nevermind...

I'm looking forward to reading about Anakin also. I like the kids so at least I've got them to read about if I can't have H/L. This doesn't make everything all right in the EU world but I'll enjoy what I can get...

25. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    I'm enjoying Conquest a lot more than I thought I would in light of the very disappointing news about Han and Leia's absence. I have to admit I was VERY surprised to hear that they wouldn't be in it at all.

Maybe it's the eternal optimist in me, but I actually find it kind of exciting that they're off somewhere so far away that nobody can contact them...

I like the kids, too!! And I totally agree with you about L/M, Boushh. It doesn't really bother me, either. I don't really feel slighted as a H/L fan, because I don't find the L/M stuff to be particularly engaging.

But so far I'm really enjoying Conquest. About 3/4 way through... if anyone wants to discuss, please PM me!

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.