main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han and Leia: An EU Fan's Haven

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DantSolo, Mar 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DantSolo

DantSolo Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    Zactly, Bria:)

Hey, I'm not against the exchange of differing opinions, I've just seen certain topics get out of hand. And some of them, I'm just plain sick of listening to;)

2. set271

set271 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2000
    <<*reads set271's opinion and promptly removes her from 'watched users' list*>>

Waaah! :) :)

It's so nice when we're able to say, "I like this, and I don't like that," but remain civil. I don't really understand why it gets so ugly sometimes, or why people can't just accept each others' opinions and agree to disagree.

EDIT: You're welcome, Hunter! I love TaB, too. :)

EDIT #2: Yanksfan, feel free to PM me for my Official Bria Statement, if you're still curious. :)

3. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I loved the bit in HttE where Han reflects how he could've lost Leia before he ever knew her (refering to the DS). That was great. [face_love]

~*~Bria

4. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    I liked that, too!

I re-read some of SOTP last night, and some of VOTF -- I'd forgotten a lot of what was in those books. Good stuff!

5. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    TaB: I agree with set271 and Dant... if it didn't happen already it was expected to be a natural progression of their relationship... Plus, I actually really like the idea of it happening within that book...:)

The Great Bria Debate: For Yanksfan's benefit I will say that I accept the Bria story line. Just what my interpretation is of it, I will not get into. Plus most of you may already know what it is, and I really don't want to get into this discussion anymore than DantSolo does... The End. :)

<<We now return you to our regularly scheduled program...>>

6. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Bria, that was a good moment in the Thrawn Trilogy!! I had forgotten about that too!

As for SOTP and VOTF, the Han and Leia moments were the only things that were worth reading in those books IMHO (of course there still wasn't enough of it)... Well maybe the Coran and Wedge stuff was also worth reading... But again that's just my oppinion. :)

7. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    Re: TaB -- Me too, Boushh! I like the idea, too.

Re: The Zahn duology -- yeah, I remember kind of wading through a lot of it before and just absorbing the H/L scenes. Normally I like to make sure I'm getting them in context... but oh well! :)

8. Tigerwallah

Tigerwallah Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2001
    Sweetheart
    I can easily call myself a Han and Leia fan. I am a fan of Vader and Chewie, too. Although I have no desire for them to be together in a biblical sense, either. (Although they're a good match in height). If you read what I posted earlier, you would see that I would have chosen Han as well, although the wiser choice would have been Isolder. Frankly, this is not my fantasy life. In a realistic way I just don't see it working out between them. My best friend disagrees with me vehemently on this one, but I think that a guy like Han doesn't live for family life - He LIVES!!! As far as the films - c'mon, I've seen more passionate kisses in Disney films. The romance really wasn't Lucas' top priority. Lucas also intended that Chewie and Threepio be females,originally. That didn't happen either.

9. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    Tigerwallah: Well, you know what Uncle Georgie says: "There's no sex in outer space!" LOL;)

And it sounds like your best friend is the one who knows the truth here.....send her on over;) J/K:)

10. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    DantSolo: There are no bras in outerspace either... ;)

set271: Yeah, there was a lot to wade through in the Zahn Duology. And that was very annoying. I wish I was at some point interested in the story, but it never grabbed me. :(

Tigerwallah: ROTFL!!! at the Chewie/Vader thing, and the Chewie and Threepio originally being female as well. Hee hee. :)
    And yeah, where is your friend anyway? :)

11. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    boushh2187: Yeah, just tape...LOL;)

See now, I enjoyed the Zahn duology. But, ah, I have kind of a thing for Karrde.....oh the DAYS;)

12. Tigerwallah

Mar 2, 2001
    Alas, my poor friend has no computer. She heard about this site and asked me to check it out. Couldn't resist throwing a little cynicism into the mix, however. My friend is a romantic dreamer. I, on the other hand, am a world weary realist. I fell in love with Han for who we first see him as, - a hardened, cynical, cocky, scoundrel with a penchant for self preservation, and adventure. I love Leia for her sharp tongue and Vader sized balls. I just don't see them having anything more than a long term affair, and I certainly don't see Han hanging around to be a dutiful husband and father. The closest thing to a commitment that I think Han would ever make is the one he made to Chewie when he allowed him to fulfill his life debt. Of course, this is FICTION, and what I say doesn't matter. It's just words artfully written on paper, and actors playing a role that ended when the director said cut. From here on in it's all imagination.

13. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    Tigerwallah: Your poor, poor friend....no computer?? I can't imagine!!! Yikes! Give her my sympathy.....

OK, as much as I loved Han as we first see him, I love him all the more when he allows Leia close to him, lowering his defenses. I think that loving her, having her love him back, changes him irrevocably. I don't think he would want to be alone after he is with her. I reiterate: Leia becomes his life. And I think he would be devastated if he lost her, and he certainly wouldn't leave her. Having the love of someone who was such a good person deep down made Han feel like a better man. And that's one of the reasons he loves her:)

14. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    DantSolo: ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!! That was just too funny. :) I like Karrde, I just didn't like the 50 million other characters that were in the book occupying space and not giving me an interesting story to read. Take those aliens and people with names too hard to pronounce or remember and give me more Han and Leia flying around on the Falcon! ;)

15. Tigerwallah

Mar 2, 2001
    Dant, we're not gonna agree on this one. Afterall, none of this is shown in the movies. It's all EU and fantasy. Your fantasy and mine are different. I see Han more like Indy - with a different woman all the time. You enjoy the fantasy of him being the perfect husband. That is definately not my turn on. I'm just expressing my opinion. I'm not trying to change your mind. Have your fantasy. This isn't an issue of right and wrong, but of opinion. I feel like I'm in religion class again listening to Father John Greasy Hair tell us that EVERYTHING is right or wrong. ;)

16. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    Hey, I'm just stating my opinion right back;) No one *ever* said you had to take it as your own. As I've always said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion....you expressed yours, then I expressed mine:) That's all.......

17. StonedRose

StonedRose Jedi Master star 2

Jan 20, 2001
    Mind if I jump in?

Okay, Tiger makes some good points. And in a way you're right: there's no way the Han we meet in ANH-as you put it: "a hardened, cynical, cocky, scoundrel with a penchant for self preservation, and adventure"--would settle down with *anyone* for long, much less become "a dutiful husband and father".

True, but that's only the Han of ANH.

Through Empire (and even before, actually it could be argued from the very end of ANH on) the character begins to change. It's part of the story arc, really. He falls for the princess, becomes more involved in the rebellion, and by the end of ROTJ he *is* the sort of man who is ready to settle down, have the family, picket fence, whatever etc. I don't really think that's anyone's imagination at work here, I think it comes across plainly in the movies themselves.

Anyway, that's how I always saw it.

Stoned Rose :D

18. ariel

ariel Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Tigerwallah, it's perfectly fine that you only see Han and Leia having a short-termed affair, but I have to ask why are you posting in this fanclub then? The first message says it's for people who enjoy Han and Leia as a couple, which you obviously don't. There is no rule saying you can't post here, I'm just wondering what you could possibly get out of telling Han/Leia fans that you think Han and Leia would break up shortly after ROTJ. As for your argument it's quite invalid as Han's characters CHANGES from ANH to ROTJ...after carbonite he's a completely different person than the man we meet in ANH.

EDIT: Great job Stoned Rose! :D

19. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    Dant: "just tape!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I've had my laugh for the evening. :)

20. Tigerwallah

Mar 2, 2001
    Dant, you remind me so much of my best friend. Did we ever meet on Dathomir?

21. StonedRose

StonedRose Jedi Master star 2

Jan 20, 2001
    --Han's characters CHANGES from ANH to ROTJ...after carbonite he's a completely different person than the man we meet in ANH---

Heh heh, looks like ariel and I are sharing a brain tonight. :)

Stoned Rose :D

22. Tigerwallah

Mar 2, 2001
    Ariel, your reputation preceeds you as someone who does not like the E.U. Hmmmmmmm... I think that liking the EU was a also a requirement.

23. DantSolo

Dec 15, 2000
    StonedRose: I agree with what you said, although I must admit, I would not be willing to say that Han was ready for marriage by the end of ROTJ. But certainly considering it!:D Again, though, you've got it dead on;)

set271: LOL, glad you got a kick out of that:)

tigerwallah: HUH??

24. ariel

ariel Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    LOL Stoned Rose! :D

But you see Tigerwallah, I had the respect and maturity to keep my dislike from the EU away from this thread. I just mentioned the things I liked about it in here, because the other Han/Leia EU fans were kind and respectful enough to keep the mission statement clear despite the fact that they were EU fans in our Han/Leia protest thread to LFL. But then, not everyone has that maturity and respect to give fan clubs/protest threads the respect they rightly deserve. Too bad.

25. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    DantSolo said: "OK, as much as I loved Han as we first see him, I love him all the more when he allows Leia close to him, lowering his defenses. I think that loving her, having her love him back, changes him irrevocably. I don't think he would want to be alone after he is with her. I reiterate: Leia becomes his life. And I think he would be devastated if he lost her, and he certainly wouldn't leave her. Having the love of someone who was such a good person deep down made Han feel like a better man. And that's one of the reasons he loves her:) "

I agree with you 100% Dant. I like *that* fantasy, Tigerwallah. :) :)

StonedRose: Agreed on Han changing through the Trilogy. :)

Tigerwallah: What was it like wearing those snake skin outfits with scales on Dathomir? ;)

Dant and set271: That tape thing *was* funny!!! :) :) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.