Han and Leia fans unite!!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jewlmc, Nov 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    OK, here goes... Unless you count their arguing in the garbage, you can slightly fast forward to when the walls are closing in and he's helping her up the garbage. I mean, I know she was the key to his reward and all but I like to think that he cared enough to make sure she didn't get squashed before his eyes. I also enjoy the exchange of "Get on top." "I'm trying." Take that one out of context... ;) I'm sorry those two just had instant chemistry, whether they were trying for it or not, it just happend.
  2. jewlmc Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree the sparks flew from the beginning.
    "No reward is worth this!'

I Love their exchange on the Falcon later.

"Sometimes I amaze even myself."

Loved his expression when she said.. "If money is all you love than that's what You'll receieve."

She really got to him.

You know GL and co didn't just put them together for the hell of it. They must have realized who had the better chemistry. And WHERE could they have got that from? ANH.
  3. ariel Jedi Master

star 4
    Exactly, jewlmc. Luke and Leia were supposed to get together. If you read the novelization of ANH, there is practically no chemistry between Han and Leia, it's mostly between Luke and Leia. But, on screen, the sparks are white-hot! And the Luke/Leia dynamic seems forced and unnatural.

George Lucas changed it so Han got the girl because of the obvious chemistry. If Leia had ended up with Luke, she probably would've started cheating on him with Han!

Continuing on: next scene
    For the garbage scene, I bet Han was enjoying himself a bit too much when he was helping her up ;)
    Next scene would be when they hugged. First time of close contact. Not very intimate because Han was wearing his stormtrooper costume, but still something there.

Passing the torch on...
  4. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    About the garbage scene: Sure he was enjoying himself... Watch where his hands are practically the whole time... ;)

You all are probably right... I bet GL was testing the chemistry out and the logical choice was Han and Leia. Luke and Leia would have been nice and sweet, Han and Leia on the other hand had that sexual tension thing going on, and instant "dislike" for one another that was a bit too much and made you wonder if they really hated each other all that much...:)

On to the next scene: "Look, I don't know who you are or where you came from..." Their eyes are just locked on each other, even if she is sort of insulting him. (Luke and Leia never had any real piercing looks between them, whether they expressed longing, desire, anger, they just didn't click that way...)
  5. jewlmc Jedi Master

star 4
    The question is : Was Han enjoying himself? Or was Harrison enjoying himself.

Because as rumor has it, the two were having fun off camera so to speak. Wonder if that had anything to do with it?

6. Yanksfan Chosen One

star 5
    You beat me to that comment Jewlmc!! LOL! I was wondering the same thing. And I was also considering Harrison and Carrie hitting it off off camera, and whether that had to do with George's decision. From what I've heard they hung out A LOT during filming. I'm not gonna read anything *more* into it but they definitely atleast clicked as friends.
  7. ariel Jedi Master

star 4
    This is what I have on Harrison and Carrie's relationship from official sources:
    She had a huge crush on him during ANH. However, he was married and also not that interested because Carrie was a little trashy (drugs and alcohol). But they became good friends, and I think Carrie tried to pursue him. In ESB, I think their relationship became strained. One guy on the set said he caught them having "fun" in Harrison Ford's dressing room once, but I don't know how accurate that is. Carrie Fisher got really mad at Harrison Ford for changing the line "I love you too" to "I know" and not consulting her till right before the shooting. By ROTJ, all three actors were sick of each other and bored of filming Star Wars (hence all their terrible acting). Especially Harrison Ford who never wanted to do ROTJ. That's why the chemistry between Han and Leia in ROTJ isn't that great.
  8. jewlmc Jedi Master

star 4
    I heard the reason that he changed that line was because she kept screwing hers up. They did it like a bunch of times and he was sick of saying "I love you too." So he said "I know." Whether she really got mad or not i don't know. If she did.. hey ..get your lines straigt! LOL.

I don't think they were sick of each other in ROTJ. Just probably sick of the whole thing. Three movies of being the same character is alot. They wanted other things.
    And were tired.

And I believe that they "were having fun.." Why? Well I think they have admitted it. forgot where I read it. Plus his marriage WAS on the rocks.. so... who knows?
  9. Yanksfan Chosen One

star 5
    Hmm..interesting. I've heard it was a little tense there for awhile during ESB, but by the end everyone was friends again. I also remember Carrie Fisher saying that her and Harrison and his wife all went on vacation together right before or after the filming of ROTJ. (Great memory i have right?) So I don't know if they were necessarily sick of eachother...although I heard that Harrison was definitely sick of playing Han. *sniff* Even though that's my favorite character of his but whatever....:(
  10. ariel Jedi Master

star 4
    The story about Harrison saying that was a net myth...I got the actual story from an official star wars book which goes through all the scenes one by one. Actually, there is quite a bit about the Han/Leia relationship in there. I can post it if you'd like.

I think Carrie Fisher has alluded to several times that she and Harrison had something going on, but Harrison Ford has kept his mouth shut. I remember in an interview, she said when they filmed that kiss on the Falcon, George Lucas made them redo it because the first time was "way too steamy for a PG movie". Apparently they kept going at it after the director yelled "Cut!"
  11. Yanksfan Chosen One

star 5
    Ha ha! I love hearing stuff like that! Now I am even MORE envious of Carrie Fisher than before and I didn't think that was possible.

Actually, when Barbara Walters interviewed Harrison in 1997, the Star Wars Trilogy was brought up (well duh, of course it was). And I remember Harrison saying that he was very grateful for the experience because he knows that the movies made his career. But that by Return of the Jedi he was sick of playing Han Solo and was happy to be able to put the character behind him foerever after filming.
  12. ariel Jedi Master

star 4
    no, this thread can't fall to page 2!
    I'll just say

Han and Leia forever!!

up
  13. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    This is great. :) You know after I posted that I wonder if someone would comment if Harrison was having fun too... I'm sure he was... along with the brilliant thing he does in ROTJ, I'm sure you guys caught that as well...?

As for them having a fling offscreen... I wouldn't be surprised if they had, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they've just been friends for 20 years... She's admited she had a crush on him way back when, how could she not have, IMHO. :)They were friends in the first movie, and yeah I've heard things got strained in the second, but I've also heard they were hanging out like *all* the time... they probably got sick of each other by the end of the filming and needed a break. :)

Ariel: I also have that book which goes through ESB scene by scene. A Journal on the Making of the Empire Strikes Back. It's a great book and goes through the development of the Carbon Freezing scene throughout the day they shot it. It's great.

I could talk about this forever. So I'm going to go and eat dinner now before my boyfriend yells at me some more...:)

14. ariel Jedi Master

star 4
    Now, was that thing by accident or on purpose? Hmmm....Carrie Fisher's obviously enjoying herself though as you can see ;)

Yup, we should post a few things from it. It gives a great insight on the Han/Leia relationship.

I remember someone saying what they inferred to happen between Harrison and Carrie. (This is someone else's opinion, not mine.) During ANH, he was kind of flattered by her crushing on him, but she was also only 17 then and he was like 35 and married. By ESB, he was divorced and she was single. I can't remember who said this, but they were saying that they think Carrie pushed Harrison to have something, and he gave in (explaining all the rumours of the two of them), and then regretted it and broke it off, but then she started getting clingy, which pissed him off. Which would explain their hostility to each other in ROTJ (you can kind of tell they don't like each other while they're acting.) It'd also explain why Carrie Fisher still openly admits that she had a crush on him, and why Harrison Ford doesn't talk about it.

I can't believe there are only like 5 Han/Leia fans on this entire board. There have to be more!
  15. Yanksfan Chosen One

star 5
    I know, where is everybody? Hmmm..that's an interesting theory (?) or the arc of their relationship. I wonder how accurate it is.

But honestly, I thought everything was peaches and cream between them again by ROTJ. Perhaps wishful thinking?

But back to the scene thing...where did we leave off? Are they on their way back to the Rebel base yet? I honestly don't remember...
  16. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    You guys have no respect for actors *shakes head*

seriously, I think Carrie maybe had a cruch on him but nothing more. Harrison is very serious about his acting, and I know how he feels. I can pretend to be someone's best friend on stage and in reallity hate them.

Harrison liked playing Han, but I believe he was afraid of getting type cast like Arnold Schrawsenager (sp?). I have a hillarious quote from him, "It's a little known fact that I wanted Han Solo to die in ROTJ.... George didn't like the idea, he didn't want me getting killed by those little teddy bear guys.."

lol! that would be hillarious! oops, too late for your magic Luke, we allready fried Han! lol!

_solojones
  17. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yanksfan: I think you're right about things being probably ok between them during ROTJ, if I had to guess... They were on vacation together in Hawaii before they shot the movie. I think she got to where they were shooting it before him though, and that he had thrown out his back or something and showed up in a wheelchair...(If I'm remembering right.) I think they are also still friends if you go by the picture of them rafting togther with their families that was in the Enquirer or wherever it was a couple of months back.

ariel: Where'd you hear about GL wanting to redo the kissing scene because it was too steamy and Carrie mentioning it also... Haven't heard that take on it and now I'm getting way too curious about it. :)

Actually I just thought of something else... have any of you seen the AFI tribute to Harrison Ford that was on TV a few months back? Well Carrie was one of the ones sharing moments etc. about him and she was actually really funny (usually is), but towards the end of her speech she says something like "he doesn't like to do loves scenes, or maybe he just doesn't like doing them with me." and they cut to him (and before this he's like on the floor laughing at her other comments) and he looks like he's saying something like "Come on" as in Cut it out, I guess? He wasn't laughing as much that's for sure...

Also to ariel: Who was it that was talking about Harrison and Carrie having a relationship? I think he wouldn't say anything about it if they did mostly because he is so private. As for her letting everyone in on her crush... I think she likes to say it because she got to have a crush on him before all the rest of us... :)

About *ahem* the incident in ROTJ: I sooo don't think that was an accident. What he was actually trying to accomplish, I don't know... I mean she was on fire from the squib effect going wrong so he stamped out the flames and then goes and does what he does to distract her? Is that like in the actor's handbook or something? :) It's a very deliberate action... believe me this has been analized at my job with a bunch of people demanding to see it on high quality digital video tape that was used to make the Making of the Special Edition. So we went off with the slow motion. :) That was no accident IMO. :) It was quite an amusing day at work, I must say. :)

Carbon Freeze: According to that making of ESB book, Carrie was basically upset that parts of the scene were changed without her being in on it. Harrison and Kersh were talking about it all morning and she was kept in the dark. I think she just wanted to be let in on the creative process. Then I can just see poor Harrison all excited to tell her what they came up with, and she just lets him have it because he was telling her the news. She then tells Kersh this, who tells her not to yell at Harrison but to yell at him. That section in the book is great... :)

Shutting up for now, sorry for the rambling... :)
  18. Yanksfan Chosen One

star 5
    Hey don't worry about "rambling", I love hearing new stuff about them. Whatever it is. I also read about Carrie allegedly being very upset with Harrison (or whoever) for changing the line to "I know". According to this one Harrison Ford book I was skimming through once, she was *sooo* pissed off that they had a huge fight about it in one of ther dressing rooms, and everyone could hear it. But of course, you never know with these sources. After time passes everything tends to get blown out of proportion. Maybe it was just a little argument that got exagerrated. OR maybe I am still in denial :)

I also saw that Harrison Ford tribute that was on last spring. From what I could tell, when Carrie said that line about him not liking to do love scenes with just her, it seems that he was just shaking his head like "You know that's not true." Of course I don't have the force, and never claimed to, so I can't be sure that I read his thoughts accurately :)..but I can try to convince myself I did.......

I REALLY love this thread :)
  19. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    Yanksfan: I agree with you about the AFI tribute thing... :)

About Carbon Freeze:
    The huge fight about changing the line sounds right, because in this book, she comes into the set and tells Kersh that she yelled at Harrison and he's *really* angry at her now and it messes them up for the scene. Well, duh. She goes on to say that she just wants to get let in on when they discuss scens and stuff. The book is just awesome. The had a mic on the director for the entire day they shot this scene. And it's basically like this. I'll type in the part with Carrie. CF is Carrie, IK is Irvin Kershner, and DT is David Tomblin.

CF: HI...
    IK: I've just changed the scene.
    CF: I know. Harrison told me.
    IK: I've just changed it because it didn't answer one important thing: Why are you there to watch the execution? Why don't they take him out of jail and just do it? It doesn't make sense, does it?
    CF: No.
    IK: There's only one reason. They do it to keep the victim from fighting, from trying to take people with him. Vader doesn't want problems like that. He brings you along for that reason. You have to understand that, or otherwise you would just stand there like a lump...(chopping some stuff) I've changed the scene because the emphasis was on ignorance before. I don't want it to be on ignorance, I want it to be on knowledge.
    CF: No crying, no kissing?
    IK: The kissing comes after. The change is just the beginning of the scene. The rest is the same. So I'm just giving evrybody their new script pages...
    CF:(Disconcerted) I don't know where I am now.
    IK: (Exasperated) All you did before was exclaim, "No!" That's all you had. Do you want to say, "No!"
    CF: Well, I don't know where I'll be when he says, "Put him in the carbon freeze." I could do a big gesture. I could slap Lando or something...

Flash forward to where they talk about Harrison...
    IK: Carrie? Where is she? (Shouts) Carrie. (She comes over to him) We're going to shoot in about five minutes. What's going to happen is this--I've reversed the whole thing...
    CF: You talk to Harrison about the changes, but I always feelthat you do it behind my back.
    IK: NO, no, no we haven't rehearsed it yet.
    CF: But I didn't know until now.
    IK: I couldn't tell you before.
    CF: I would just like to be there why you decide to change things.
    IK: (Getting angry) You werent' here to be there.
    CF:(Shouts) I was in the studio!
    IK: Okay. Okay.
    CF: I yelled at Harrison about the changes.
    IK: Don't yell at Harrison. Yell at me.
    CF: There's no reason for me to be mad at Harrison.
    IK: All right, all right. Okay!
    CF: But when he came to me with the changes, I got mad at him and it screws up up.
    IK: Where is Harrison?
    DT: He's downstairs. We're getting him up.
    CF: He's *very* angry with me. And he has a total right to be. I should not speak to him in that way...
    IK: Okay, okay.
    DT:We're readdy Kersh.
    (The steam starts;the voices get even louder)
    CF: Harrison shouldn't have to come to me with the changes. You should.
    IK: He was eager to.
    CF: I know he was. And now I have to perform at half an hour's notice scenes that have allb een changed.
    IK: Your performance is not changed.
    CF: All I'm asking is to be invited tow atch youguys get a scene together. Itmay not center around me, like this one doesn't, (it totally does in my oppinion...)but I'm involved in it.

Just thought that those of you who haven't read this might enjoy a snippet from it. It goes on for pages before this interaction and after... One of these days I'll type the whole thing out...
  20. ariel Jedi Master

star 4
    Upping this thread...I don't have much to add.
    I found the interview on some Carrie Fisher website. The person who made that prediction I think was someone on the organa-zation list (anyone else on this list? great han/leia list)

well Carrie Fisher was also on drugs at the time so she probably was quite emotionally deranged...Must have been hard for them to do that scene while they were really mad at each other.
  21. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    Who knows maybe they made up before they went on... Plus they are also actors... I hope they could act like they weren't mad at each other for a day. :)
  22. Yanksfan Chosen One

star 5
    Wow!! Thanks so much for posting that Boush! Too cool. Well, yeah, maybe they *did* make up before they shot the scene. From the sounds of it, it seems that Carrie was already sorry. But that was a great behind the scenes look.

I heard a lot of their trouble and fighting was when they were shooting the Hoth stuff, and that was why their characters' fights were so convincing. Very little acting going on :)

Anyways, while I'm here I might as well push this thread to the top.....
  23. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    He he he, I love Harrison! OMG, it's great.. All my favorite parts in movies, he makes up himself... like the shooting the sword guy in Raiders.. lol... I was watching ESB and Six Days, Seven Nights today... lol, my brother and I were laughing so hard.. those expressions
  24. jewlmc Jedi Master

star 4
    This is all interesting. But enough about their personal lives. For now at least. We'll get back to it later. ;-)

Let's talk about some more Han and Leia moments.

Well we got to the shipride back to Yavin. When is their next scene?

"I knew there was more to you than money!" After the Death Star Blew up. Am I right?

Then the Medal Ceremony... and of Course we get into ESB!
  25. ariel Jedi Master

star 4
    Good jewlmc, but I think we should go through them more slowly...otherwise we'll be done too soon!

Oh yeah, I think we should start quoting from the scripts and novelizations, anyone hear have the novelizations? I had them but I left them at home when I went away for university! Stupid me...those novelizations are way better than the profic books. You can get the scripts online. Whoever has the novelizations please try to add to this with the excerpts from the books! Especially the ESB novelization - that was great with the Han/Leia romance.

Here's an excerpt from the ANH script in the garbage place:

The walls are only feet apart. Leia and Han are braced against the walls. The princess is frightened. They look at each other. Leia reaches out and takes Han's hand and she holds it tightly.

Umm.....after the garbage scene....they were yelling at each other. Still kind of cute =) I think the most ironic line was "No reward is worth this!" Little did he know he'd be spending the rest of his life with her willingly! :)
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.