Han and Leia fans unite!!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jewlmc, Nov 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    HHmm next scene... "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" followed by "He certainly has courage."

I think she was pretty impressed by him, at least until she finds out he's getting paid.

OH you know what we forgot? waay earlier when Luke is telling Han about the princess... I know she isn't there but they are talking about her. And Han's reactions to her existence are just hysterical. Especially when Luke says "But they're gonna kill her!" and Han says "Better her than me."
    Boy he changes his tune soon enough... :)
  2. Yanksfan Chosen One

star 5
    Okay, so next would be the scene in the Millenium Falcon cockpit-right? When Leia calls him a "mercenary"..but I think we talked about this part right? How Han was obviously affected by the princess' remarks. I agree with that by the way. Just look at his face as he pretends to study the controls....then Luke sits down and asks what Han thinks of her. "she's gotta lot of spirit.."

Hmmm....makes you wonder. On the Luke-Leia kiss thread it was brought up that Leia could never really love Luke because he put her on a pedastal, while Han did not. Could the reverse also be true? I'm sure Han never had any problems with the ladies before this (and really, how could he?) and perhaps he's intrigued with the idea that Leia doesn't immediately wrap around his finger? I think there's something to that.....
  3. jewlmc Jedi Master

star 4
    I would definately agree. All the women probably swooned over him (and who could blame them? LOL) and she did not. And the worst part is that she was the first woman that probably captivated him. So her seeming disinterest probably REALLY got to him. Not only because of his bruised ego, but because she was the first woman that was really is equal I guess the word would be.
  4. Skidder Jedi Knight

star 3
    No time to discuss this in a comitee
  5. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Lol, yeah.

But Really, Han tells me that he always liked Leia... you know we skipped alot... like:

Great girl... either I'm gonna kill her or I'm begining to like her

AND

She's got alot of spirit, though... I dunno, you think a Princess and a guy like me...
    L:NO
    *Han smiles*

I think it's great how Han gets Luke all riled up. Luke has this ridiculous puppy love thing going on. Han however, likes her for her personality traits, some of which are hidden to others.

Or so he tells me *shrugs*.

What do YOU think of those lines?
  6. jewlmc Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah I think Luke only saw the Princess
    and Han saw Leia. If you get my drift.
  7. Yanksfan Chosen One

star 5
  8. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    jewlmc: Wow that *was* really well put!! I'm impressed. :)
  9. ariel Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, Han was definetly interested in Leia from the beginning.
    However, he's a womanizer so he would probably act the same to any attractive women, but the difference is Leia didn't worship him like the others. She treated Luke much better than him, and I think that really ticked him off. For a guy that can get any woman he wants, he wanted the one he couldn't have.

The scene between them in the cockpit was really significant because it was their first meaningful conversation. I just realized something - Leia never finds out his name. Also, did you notice how Han never called Leia by her real name until the kiss? Anyways, you can tell she gets to him.

Then Luke sits down, and goes "So, what do you think of her Han?" Han says, "I'm trying not to," but you can tell he's been thinking of her since she left. Then he goes "Still...she's got a lot of spirit. I don't know, you think a princess and a guy like me?"
    I don't have the ANH novelization, but I remember this line (or something like it):
    "Han grinned at the young man's naivity. He wondered if he had said that comment just to rile the kid -- or because it was the truth."

Another reason why I don't buy the Bria thing - I mean, Han was just supposed to have lost the love of his life a couple days ago. I don't think he would be flirting with and getting interested in another woman right away, he should have been mourning her.
  10. Yanksfan Chosen One

star 5
    Gaaaah!! Don't even mention Bria to me! I have never read any of the Han Solo trilogy. And well since Leia wasn't in it I thought it defeated my whole main purpose of reading SW books. But I have heard *enough* about their relationship from other sources. Enough to tell me that I don't buy it. Not at all. I prefer to think of Han as the scoundrel with a string of nameless and insignifiacnt women until Leia came along....(wow talk about my denial!!:)).
  11. jewlmc Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah Bria makes me hurl.

Besides she was an IDIOT!! Her appeal puzzles me more than anything. But I don't want to talk about her. Let's make a deal NOT to discuss EU here. Whether we like it or not. Let's just talk about them in the films.

*Shameless plug*

However if you want my take on the Bria thing. Go to the Ep II forum and read my latest story under the Exploited Universe thread. Darth Holliday has also recently posted a killer!
  12. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm thinking if I would call what they were doing in ANH flirting. I don't know if you could call it that quite yet. I think they were both having instant, gut reactions to one another. I don't think much thought was placed into how they were reacting, until the scene in the cockpit after she leaves. Then I'd say they were starting to kind of size each other up, kind of trying to figure out what they were each all about. I think part of Han's line "...she's got alot of spirit..." was to get Luke annoyed and part himself thinking aloud, as the novelization description suggests.

I think I would say that the only flirting that was going on was at the end of the movie when he winks at her, and she was giving him that look... but that's getting way ahead of where we're supposed to be in the movie. :)
  13. ariel Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it's ok to talk about the EU here...we do need a place to vent about how much it sucks. We can invalidate it here.

I have solid proof that Bria never existed...if you want I can drag it out. Just have to find it...

I hated Bria because she undermined the love of Han and Leia. The author made it to be like Han saw Bria in Leia, so that was the reason why he fell for her. Sickening.

What was REALLY disgusting was when Han thought "fondly" about Bria while he was separated from his wife in Hero's Trial. Couldn't he have forgotten about her after like 25 years? Can you imagine what Luke/Mara fans would do it Luke suddenly thought "fondly" about Callista?

Anyways, what guy, a couple of days after losing the supposed love of his life, puts the moves on another woman right afterwards? (You're right it wasn't really flirting, but Han was interested in her, you could tell...mostly from the comment to Luke, which wasn't completely to annoy him, and the wink)
  14. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    I think those who are suggesting not to talk about the EU here are possibly trying not to turn the thread into a ranting thread, or one where people argue for or against the EU.
    I for one read and mostly enjoy the EU. I have some problems with the lack of H/L but I still like about 85-90% of it. But I think I may have mentioned that before somewhere along the way...

As for Bria, I never really thought that Han "saw" Bria in Leia... I think he saw someone quite different... someone who was devoted to the rebellion but not such a fanatic that she saw nothing else. That's what Bria had become... I wonder if Bria would have gone looking for Han after ESB or if she would have been too caught up fighting for the rebellion to notice he was even gone. Leia's caring for her friends, and family showed through... Bria loved Han but only when it was convinient for her and didn't get in the way of the Rebellion... Leia on the other hand tried to perhaps avoid getting involved with Han but ended up realizing he was as important to her (as Luke was) as the rebellion was. That's my take on it, I guess. :) I also think the author was trying to get to the root of Han's response to Luke's question of "So what do you think of her Han?" "I'm trying not to, kid." He's had enough of women at this point and has also lost Bria. I think he was saddened by her death but he was also really angry at her before then going as far as to tell her he'd shoot her himself if he ever saw her again. He may not have been to willing to put his trust in another woman, quite yet... if you go by the EU that is.

Anyway, I'm not a Bria fan, as you can see. I sort of liked her only when she was away from Han. *Far* away from Han.:)

Sorry to those who didn't want to talk EU...
  15. MissPadme Jedi Master

star 4
    Another Han/Leia fan, reporting in for duty :).

I admit, I cheered when Bria croaked. It's terrible, I know, but I couldn't help it.

Back to ANH. I loved that first little exchange in the cockpit, followed by Han's comments to Luke. Hee hee.

Hey, don't forget after the Death Star battle, Leia says to Han, "I knew there was more to you than money." She already had seen there was more to Han than his macho I-don't-care exterior.
  16. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    I sang "ding, dong, Bria's dead..."

Anyway, about the "there was more to you..." scene... I love how she just slams into him when she says that... that's some massive hugging going on... followed by them leaving and practically not waiting for Luke... He's distracted by his droids meanwhile Han has his arms around the girl. ;)
  17. ariel Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, the fact that Han had Bria just made the whole love story with Leia seem insignificant...
    it would be like in Titanic with Rose's love story with her husband after Jack died....her husband was this "rebound, second choice" guy whom she never loved as much. That's why I hated it.

Anyways, anyone want my proof that Bria never existed? I'll give it out.
  18. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    I just figured that Bria wasn't the one for him and that was it... I don't think that it made the love story with Leia insignificant but there are specific things that I think should not have been done with her that messed up a couple of things in Empire I thought anyway...

ariel: I'd like to hear your proof of Bria not existing. :)

Again, apologies for all the EU talk.
  19. ariel Jedi Master

star 4
    What specific things are you talking about?
    you mean how they did it in the books?

Well, I'd like to see some proof that Bria wasn't the one for him and that Leia was his true love...because from the books, AC Crispin had every indication that Bria was Han's "one true love" and soulmate.

ok...let me just dig it up....
  20. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    Specifically, I didn't enjoy all the "scruffy looking" comments. I think it lessened the impact of what Leia said, instead of adding insight to it. That's how I felt anyway. Also, Bria and Han's first kiss was a little to similar to Leia and Han's first kiss, if I remember right. I think all the stuff that bothered me was in the first book. Though I did enjoy Han arriving to Alderaan and seeing 8 or so year old Leia sitting on Bail Organa's lap...also thinking about her as he walked by the palace...:)
  21. boushh2187 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ariel: Proof in the books that Leia is his true love and not Bria? Hmm, I'd have to think about that one... I think the movies are probably the best proof out there. The thing is Bria is hardly ever mentioned except in that Trilogy... unless I'm forgetting something. This is not including the reference in Hero's Trial which I need to find later... So if she never comes up is it safe to assume that he is happy with Leia and doesn't need to bring Bria up? She isn't half as good as Leia is for him anyway. :) And I've got no proof for that, just my honest oppinion. :)
  22. jewlmc Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes it is good to vent our frustrations at the EU. BUT, not so much that it takes away from what we are discussing. I don't want two pages of this dedicated to Bria, even if it is to tear her down. It just lends credence to her existence IMO, when everyone here, even EU fans want to forget her.

IMO Han was a womanizer before this. He had no love in his life. I think because he was abandoned as a child (Isn't that Canon?) And was lonely he was afraid to love someone. He seemed to fall in love too easily with Whats her face(See I forgot her name already ;-))
    I mean he was even hesitant in his relationship with Luke kinda. Less so, but you can see the discomfort in expressing his feelings there.

Anyways back to the movies.

I think we are done with ANH. What do you think happened between that and ESB?
  23. ariel Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey everyone.
    I thought of a way we could make this go slower. Pics! They're the best.
    Here's some from the scenes we've discussed in ANH:
    Their first hug:
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dunes/3131/anh/hanleia23.jpg

Leia ticking Han off
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/2764/hanleia12.jpg

Han flirting with Leia
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dunes/3131/anh/hanleia25.jpg

I'll add some more!
    But we're not done with ANH yet - we're at Yavin right now.
  24. ariel Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey can I ask ppl a favour - can we not discuss ESB till later on? Because I'm going home for Christmas and will be able to get my novelizations out...those novelizations have REALLY great depth into all the Han/Leia scenes.

If for every scene we have what happened, what the script says, what the novelization said, some pics, and our own input we can have some great discussion.

Oh and I will find the evidence that annuls Bria's existence - I just gotta look it up on the net. It's in ROTJ.
  25. Yanksfan Chosen One

star 5
    Oh, I'm really looking foward to this evidence Ariel. Of course I am in complete denial about Bria's existence. (sorry! I know we want to keep this discussion short but..) But what a slap in the face it was when Han thought of Bria in Hero's Trial. Ahh! That was so annoying. Especially since He and Leia were estranged at the time. I think it just made it all the more insulting to Leia. And sure, she met up with Isolder. But that was for politcal reasons, and she spent a lot of time defending Han and thinking of him. Han hardly thought of her at *all*.

*sigh* It's stuff like THIS that makes EU extra annoying sometimes. But i have to agree...it's not *all* bad. But they could have written Han and Leia better. (*mumbles* Courtship...*Mumbles more*)

But what's thie scene about Han seeing an eight year old Leia? What happened? I never read these Pre-movies books. That sounds interesting though.

Ah! I did it again. Where are we? The Medal ceremony? Why do I keep losing track.....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.