main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han and Leia fans unite!!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jewlmc, Nov 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ariel

ariel Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    UGH. Don't mention that. That was just disgusting. He can't think of his wife, but he thinks of his girlfriend from 25 years ago? WTF? Not that Leia was completely innocent - I think it was somewhat implied she was very tempted by Isolder, during their trip in hyperspace. And in Balance Point it seemed like he didn't even care that they got back together, Leia was the one doing all the initiating.

EDIT: Actually, he must have thought of her, because he got really jealous of Isolder and her as it says in Balance Point. So obviously he was still emotionally attached.

But then I guess it all evens out, because in the Bantam books, Leia always treated Han like crap, and he just took it and stayed devoted to her. And let's not forget she treated him like crap in COPL.

Jewlmc's right - we shouldn't discuss the EU here. It just pisses me off more.

2. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    I wrote a fic on their missing reunion scene in Balance Point...I think it sucks in my opinion, which is why I haven't posted it anywhere...but if you guys want to read it, I can send it to you via PM (I already sent it to Yanksfan).

3. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    And it was great! I recommend it! :)

4. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    Unite against what?

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Woah, been gone *nods to yanksfan and ariel*

what's been up? I think we should continue with the MOVIE scenes.... lol...

Ok, so I am going to start with the medal ceremony..

Han winks at Leia and she doesn't really react at all.. positive or negitivelly... is this purposeful, and if so what does it mean?

6. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Unite against the EU garbage at this point.

PLEASE ENOUGH!!! It makes me ill to hear what happens in Hero's trial. And she was TEMPTED?? *BLECH* Please don't answer because I DON'T want to know, I DON'T care about anything that happened to them in the books. They may not ALL be crap, but the Majority is and it cancells out any good. So please NO MORE EU!!!!

OFFICIAL EU CUTOFF LINE

*********************************************Now from here on out PLEASE limit the discussion to the films and what would have been proper to have happened between them after.

7. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    You're right jewlmc. The whole EU thing makes me just sick. *shudders*

So, anyone want my fic? If not, I'll just put it away.

OK sorry jewlmc I am going to have to bring up an EU thing but I am invalidating it so it should be ok - Here is my proof that Bria does not exist:

This is from the ROTJ novelization which is officially "canon" (the novelizations are the only books that are) are thus takes precendence over the other books:

(I don't have the novelization here so I am paraphrasing):

"Han and Leia turned to each other, full of emotion. They'd both come from wastelands of emotional isolation. Han had never known love before Leia, too wrapped up in himself was he. Leia had never known love before Han, too enamoured with embracing all of society. And, somewhere in his desire for the one, and her glowing fervour for the all, they'd found a place where the two of them could huddle, grow, even feel nourished."

The line "Han had never known love before Leia" is the clincher.

8. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    Yup there it is! I had a feeling that was what you were talking about!

On to the movies..

The wink, she is still sizing him up. And it is always harder to smile at someone you are attracted to (Which I am sure she was AT LEAST attracted to him. She would have to be blind not to)

9. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Woohoo! It's official-Bria never existed!:)

Okay, I'm *dropping* the whole EU issue..atleast for now. Onto the medal ceremony..okay, I think Leia's just playing it cool. Oh yeah, she's gotta want him-atleast a little bit. Right? I would. But you know, she couldn't let on that she was attracted to him, because that would be giving Han a certain power over her. You know, atleast until she knew where *exactly* she stood with him.

10. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    O.k we are done with ANH.

Don't think there is much more there. We should hold off for awhile on ESB. What do you think happened between them between the films. No SOTME OBVIOUSLY. LOL!!! Really how do you think things developed?

Better still. What happened on Ord Mantell???

11. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    Hey guys, we missed out on an important scene!
    The one where Leia runs to Han and hugs him and says, "I knew there was more to you than money!" I think that line was very significant - it's the first "nice" thing she's actually said to him!

Here's a pic:
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dunes/3131/anh/hanleia26.jpg

From the ANH novelization:
    "She turned to the Corellian and repeated the embrace. Expectantly, the Corellian was not as embarassed."

12. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    I know this is jumping way ahead but I was thinking. If we had gottten a wedding in ROTJ. How do you think it would have went? How would you have liked it to have gone?
    It makes me a little jealous that P/A fans get a wedding of sorts and we got nothing, unless you count.. well I said we shouldn't mention it but you know what I am referring too.

Wasn't it originally in the script? Would have been cool.

13. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Ariel: Thanks for the ROTJ reference to invalidate the Bria thing... I think it invalidates his love for her rather than Bria herself... but as was said... no more EU... PM if you wanna talk about it further I guess?:)

The Wink in ANH: I think she had a definite reaction, to his winking at her. It was subtle but she reacted. It was almost like she wanted to acknowledge it but didn't want to give him the satisfaction. That's how I perceived it. I also like the flaunting (sp?) of the cleavage as she puts the medal on also... Quite amusing... Though he looks a little goofy afterwards. :)

What happens at Ord Mantell?: I think she was put in danger somehow and it freaked him out. That's my honest oppinion. He said "we" ran into (the bounty hunter) so I think it might be safe to infer that she was with him... Something serious happened to get him spooked like that, especially if he had stuck with the rebellion for three years. It would have to have been something big for him to just suddenly shift gears.

Wedding: HHmm I think I'll reserve my comments for after EII comes out. If their wedding, if it happens, is awesome, then I'll be really upset we were denied seeing H/L get married. Though now that I'm thinking about it... I wonder if they would have gotten married right away or if they would have waited... I mean at the point of ROTJ they barely knew each other as lovers, maybe they'd want to wait...?

I just thought of something... You guys would have loved this Han and Leia video that I did a while back. I never finished it but it was pretty fun to watch if you are a fan of H/L... Maybe one day I'll turn it into a quicktime or something and throw it online... hmmm...

14. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Boushh-Ooh you have to! I mean you can't just mention this video and not produce :)

Okay, The Wedding: When I first saw the movie I just assumed that after the movie Han and Leia got married. I mean *immediately* after the credits. Well, atleast within a few days. I don't know why, but I just assumed this. Of course, I was only six at the time. But really, when you think about it--would they get married that soon? IS it too soon? It's hard to tell. I mean romantically speaking, they were together for a relatively short time. But as friends they have known eachother for years and have been through A LOT together. So I guess whether they would get married around the time of ROTJ is a toss up. I dunno. What do you guys think?

Ord Mantel: I agree that Leia must have been with him when that whole thing with the Bounty Hunter went down. I think I'll also go along with the assumption that whatever happened put Leia in danger and that played a part in Han's drastic decision.

The question I want to pose is what do you guys think happened between ANH and ESB that made them obviously grow closer together? Okay, not to jump into the movie (i'll pull back immeditealy I swear!) but that first scene with them in the command center shows that there is obviously something significant between them. First, he shoots her that look when he first enters the room. Then after breaking the news to Reeikien (sp??) and telling the princess "looks like this is it.." he is obviously expecting a more meaningful response from her. All right, done with the ESB reference. So what do you think happened between them?

15. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Yanksfan: Oops sorry.:) That was a little bit of a tease wasn't it? If I can figure out a way to get it online maybe I will... though it really isn't finished. It just goes to black 2 minutes into the song... though it's almost done. I had trouble figuring out how to end it.

Wedding stuff: I think they would wait a while. I think Leia would wait a while and I think Han would definitely wait a while... I mean they are comitted to each other obviously but marriage is a big step... I was friends with my boyfriend for almost two years before going out with him... I can't say that I would have been ready to marry him a month after we started seeing each other... But then again, this is a fairy tale so who knows? :) If you keep with the fairy tale aspect of it, then yeah they probably would have gotten married at the end of the credits and lived happily ever after. Maybe I've been looking at it too realistically?

In between ANH and ESB: Oh there was stuff going on between them all right. What exactly is the stuff fanfic was made to cover. :) But yeah the way they were acting in the beginning of ESB just alludes to the fact that they must have grown fairly close in those three years... maybe dodging each other's advances along the way out of fear, lack of commitment etc...

16. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Hmmm....a fwe more minutes and this thread would have been demoted to page 2. I must stop this...

John: Where's this thread goin' fellas?
    Beatles: To the top JOhnny!
    John: And where's that?
    Beatles: to the toppermost of the poppermost!

In otherwords I moving this thread back to where it belongs..............:)

17. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    You guys seem to be forgetting the fact that they knew each other as friends for FOUR years. They knew more about each other than alot of people who get married do.

Seriously WHY wait when you are in love and you know this person is THE ONE. To say they were not sure of this takes away from their love story in the films.

And let us remember this is a movie, a fairytale. People fall in love and get married. Anakin and Padme (aside from knowing each other for a brief while as kids) fall in love in the course of a movie and then get married at the end. Why should Han and Leia be different?? I don't think they would.

There was a wedding scripted I believe, but was taken out do to time constraints. Then later put in the fake script. It just seems dumb to twiddle your thumbs for four years. It does not fit with how love works in the GFFA, IMO , as we will see in EP II.

18. Ken_Benobi

Ken_Benobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2000
    Ariel:

"Ken Benobi (I like your name!)"
    Just noticed that posting - glad we agree - on that and on the famous Bespin love scene.

great minds think alike.
    i haven't read much EU stuff, only Dark Empire recently and the first two Thrawn books - they DO stay together, don't they?
    ;-)

19. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    I agree with you Jewlmc that it would be reasonable if the two of them DID get married at the end of ROTJ. Yes, they have been through a lot together, and even if they weren't a "couple" for that long, they WERE atleast good friends. But at the same time, if they DIDN'T get married right away I don't think that takes away from their love story at all. You can be sure that you have found THE ONE, but it doesn't necesarily mean you are ready to get married. There are everyday normal reasons to put off getting married to someone, and when you are rebuilding an entire governemnt I'm sure there are even MORE reasons. And you know, I'm sure that Han was madly in love with Leia and all that, but I still think he would be a little hesitant about taking the plunge. It's in his scoundrel nature. :)

BTW don't mistake this post as a defense of the EU! I'm not suggesting they waited FOUR YEARS, but I guess I am just playing devil's advocate on how they might have waited to tie the knot.

20. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    Whew we have a lot of topics going on at once. Let's just focus on the wedding for now. There isn't a lot we can discuss for Han and Leia and if we cram all the topics into one we're going to run out of discussion pretty fast.

Wedding - I can see them getting married right away, and I can also see them waiting. But I'm almost certain they began living together afterwards. Han probably moved into Leia's suite. I could see maybe six months of living together then they decided to get married? Remember that they fell in love during a war - the circumstances afterwards were much different. It wouldn't be a bad idea to test out that they could live with each other first. They were obviously deeply in love, but sometimes that isn't enough to get by everything. And it is in Han's nature to wait, he is used to being a loner after all, and I'm sure part of him would be terrified to commit that deeply to someone. But I'm sure he'd come around soon enough.

Hmmm if they DID get married on Endor, I could see them having this intimate bonding ceremony (taking this from Carolyn Golledge's stuff.) No big fireworks or anything, just them, Luke and Chewie. And not a traditional wedding - perhaps a ceremony where they were bonded as lifemates and soulmates for life. That would be incredibly special.

21. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    bousch - you gotta show us that video tape!! You can't post it and not show us!!!

Ken Benobi - DON'T READ THE EU BOOKS. THEY SUCK.

They had Han and Leia almost get divorced. Divorce! In Star Wars! UGH.

22. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    That is what I see happening. a small intimate thing on endor. Maybe Leia wears a nice white dress made by the Ewoks. Or maybe an Alderaan style one that Mon Mothma and the people that cared for her like parents(you know General Riekan and such) saved for her.

Kind of like what will happen for Padme and Anakin I think.

I just really cant see them "living" together for awhile in SW. I don't mean to be Ms. Morality here, but remember what we are dealing with. GL didn't want any steamy stuff during their kisses remember. I thought I read that Liam Neeson had to beg(well not beg) to TOUCH Shmi on the shoulder. Somehow I cannot see them "Living in sin." (not my words. Hey in real life I am all for it!) afterwards.

They got married. IMO. Maybe the big wedding came later.

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yank- Well we all know YOU would have been getting married that night on Endor :)

I personally love EU, but let's not talk about that :)

I know this girl who is 11 and we are friends with her family and we were all watching ROTJ one day (she made me watch The Prince of Egypt so that we could watch MY choice of a movie;) And someime during the movie I go something like, "You know, they get married." and she's like, "What?" I'm like, "What, you don't like that?" and she goes, "Yeah, I just like them better single.."

Ahhhh..... the insight of an 11 year old....

What do YOU think? I mean, maybe it would be cool for a while, because ya know.. I dunno, what do you think?

24. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    I don't know... I seem to think that they may not have gotten married right away, but I also don't see them living together before... Personally, I don't think Leia would go for that, being all pure and dressing in white and all. ;) And I agree with Yanksfan who said that it would fit Han's "scoundrel" type to want to wait before popping the question. I don't think if they had not gotten married immediately after the wedding that it takes away from the love story in the films. Not at all... I can see them being together for a few months, a year before getting married. Just because people might not get married right away it doesn't mean they don't want to... circumstances might get in the way or they might just not be ready.

I think being friends with someone for 3 years and then suddenly being their boyfriend/girlfriend, are two very different things. I can see both of them not being quite ready, and wanting to enjoy just being together before the hussle and busstle of wedding... Just my thoughts really... :)

BTW Ariel's fanfic was a great read. Definitely required reading. :)

25. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    "I just like them better single."

Uh...no. Solojones your friend needs help! Just kidding. You need to introduce that 11 year old to ESB. I am sure the opinion would change.

And what do you mean.. "What do you think?"
    Not to be rude but if we didn't think they would and should be together.. would we be here?????

And YES most people who are friends and turn into lovers wait a little while.

IN REAL LIFE.

Though not always. I know lots of people who are EXTREMELY happy in their marriages who knew each other for a lot less time than Han and Leia before getting married.

Remember this is a movie. Remember what will happen with Padme and Anakin, and Owen and Beru. People fall in love and get married quicker I think in SW. I mean if we see two "fast" romances and marriages, why would H/L be different. Just seems unfair.
    And don't forget GL did have a wedding scripted and I believe changed it because of time only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.