main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han and Leia fans unite!!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jewlmc, Nov 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    He he, I've been waiting for JP3 since '97 but some people don't even know. Yes, Jurassic Park 3 is filming in Hawaii right now, and it is coming out this summer!

2. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    I think I have to say that the resolution of the love story was definitely not the reason GL decided to make Luke and Leia twins... I think the love story was secondary to the main story by the time they were writing ROTJ. I think a more probable reason for GL to have chosen Leia to be Luke's sister is for a reason for Luke to go completely nuts and want to destroy his father. I think in earler versions of the ANH script Luke and Leia were related also, if I remember right. I don't think they were siblings though...

And I do believe that as they were writing
    ESB it was very clear who the couple was going to be. And the only one who wasn't sure about Leia's feelings for Luke in ROTJ was Han.

Just my two cents. :)

3. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I think he had a notion of making Luke and Leia related from the beginning and when the Han and Leia romance took off and was popular, he decided to go with the sibling thing. It makes sense I mean why introduce a totally new character in the last film?

And I don't know about Lucas being upset that Han was more popular. First of all, is that really true? I am not so sure. He is MY favorite character, but I still think Luke has the slight edge. Besides they are BOTH his characters. I can see him being upset if a character in the you know what is more popular. :)

And I don't think Luke would be considered a loser, I mean he isn't and lets face it.. he lost Leia fair and square. Sibling thing aside he never had a chance. That happens. Lots of hero's "lose" the girl. It doesn't make them losers.

4. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Jewlmc: You're right, Luke didn't have much of a chance once she fell for Han... thank goodness.

About Han being more popular than Luke: There was this fan poll held by Topps magazine for a special Star Wars issue a couple of years ago. Han was #1 :)

About everyone having a thing for Leia in the movies: She was pretty enough for all the guys to drool, but she was also practically the only female around in the movies. ;) I mean there were supposedly women around yes, but you barely saw anyone but Leia in the movies...

5. ariel

ariel Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Great! We're almost up to 200 now and this thread just got started! :)

Lucas said himself that if Harrison Ford couldn't be persuaded to do ROTJ, and Han's fate was to be lost forever in carbonite (that's one of the reasons they put him in there, because when shooting ESB Harrison wasn't sure if he would do ROTJ yet), Leia would have fallen in love with Luke.

6. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    ariel: Yes, perhaps... because then perhaps Vader could threaten to hurt his girlfriend or something... It would have possibly worked but not have been as effective as turning his sister to the dark side. If Luke and Leia had hooked up in ROTJ then *that* would have been by default because Han would not have been there... If that had happend it would still have made Leia seem like a shallow character. It would have made her whole role in ESB's second half an act instead of Leia's true feelings for Han surfacing... Luke/Leia may not have happened simply because it would probably have messed up her character, and maybe Luke's as well because he wouldn't be doing the noble thing (as Han was willing to do in ROTJ) and leaving the woman that claimed to love his closest friend alone...

Not to mention that Yoda suggested there was "another". I think GL had the twin or relative thing in mind since ESB. The very next scene is of Leia pacing on Cloud City. That may not have been coincidental...

Personally I think that once the Han/Leia chemistry was apparent in ANH, there wasn't much hope for Luke/Leia even from that early a stage. But that's just a theory. :)

7. Ken_Benobi

Ken_Benobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2000
    my message got a bit lost in the middle of the GWTW digression i think

Ariel: "Ken Benobi - I forgot to answer your question sorry! If you could help me at all, and send something to me by PM! I'd love anything you could tell me! Thanks so much!"

Check PM - message sent.

8. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    That would have sucked if he was "Forever in carbonite."

I would hope that Lucas would have had the brains enough to not have gone through with that even if HF didn't come back.

The best thing to have done would be to say that he died after he was freed of the Carbon sickness or something, and have Leia appropriatly(SP?) grieve in ROTJ.

Having her just go "Ah well Han is dead.. but Luke is lookin FINE!" Would have destroyed her character completely in the eyes of many. And it would be even worse if he were still "out there."

Imagine if he ever came back.

"Oh I am sorry. I know I said I love you, BUT.. You were gone... Luke was here..."

That would have sucked big time.

9. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    Have you ever read the story "A Princess, A Jedi, and a Smuggler?" by Kate Birkel? This deals with it...Han is presumed dead and Leia's pregnant with his kid whom she gives birth to before finding out Han died. She marries Luke mainly to be the father of her kid and never tells the kid her real father's name. Han has really been sent to some slave mines or something, he escapes and tries to find Leia, but when he finds out she's married Luke and they have a kid together he stays back, not wanting to interfere in their marriage. Eventually they meet up again...

10. Ken_Benobi

Nov 21, 2000
    B-but THEN what happens?
    Do Leia and Han get it together again?!
    Don't leave me in suspense!!!

11. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    LOL....yeah they do. Leia knows she wants to go back to him, but there's complications because she doesn't want to hurt Luke, and Han doesn't want to come between Luke and her. But Luke does the noble thing and steps aside and they get back together, although Luke and Han agree they will both be fathers to the child. I don't think the story's online anymore...It used be up at the Corellian Embassy but I think it got taken down because the owner of it got in a fight with the author of the story.

12. Ken_Benobi

Nov 21, 2000
    Phew! Han + Leia weather the storm!

"the owner of it got in a fight with the author of the story"

Sorry - that bit makes me chuckle - i have images of them chucking pens and stuff at each other - ;-)

ps - check PM

13. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Wow...I feel live I've been gone awhile, but it's only been two days....okay, well let me add my two cents in about the whole brother/sister cop out controversy...nah, I don't think so. I agree with whoever (too lazy to double check-forgive me) said that Leia had already made her decision by the end of ESB. Absolutely. The sibling thing was just a way to explain *why* Luke and Leia were so close, yet not romantic. Well actually, technically speaking, GL came up with the brother sister thing just to give Luke a reason to get REALLY pissed at Vader at the end of ROTJ and almost fall to the dark side--it really had nothing to do with the love triangle at all.

Yeah, so of course Leia would have picked Han over Luke anyways. After alll, she would have to be an absolute moron NOT to. :)

14. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
  15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey hey hey, where can I read that story?

ATTN. ALL!!!!!!!! my fanfic is DONE, TYPED, and UP! well..... almost.... you see, I just have to put it online, but It will be here TODAY!!!!!

_solojones

16. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Oh cool, Solojones. I wanna read it.

That other fanfic that was mentioned sounded interesting. but sad. Poor Han, not getting to be there for his kid....sniff. Too bad it's not up anymore. I would read it. It reminds me of this other story I read where Han was lost in carbonite for like 10 years or maybe more. Then his *SON* who he supposedly had had the whole time stashed away on Corellia comes and finds Leia. Meanwhile Leia has just been living by herself, accepting that Han is dead, and sh3e occassionally hangs out with Chewbacca. Anyways, the son finds Han adn they are re-united.

Actually, my retelling of this story really sucks. I think I read it at like four a.m. one night when I couldn't sleep so I'm not really good with the details....oh, well.

17. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    Yankfan - I think that one's by the same author Kate Birkel. But I didn't really buy that one in that Leia would just wait around for 10 years doing nothing after Han died. She also wrote another one called Merry Days my Lovely where Han abandoned Leia a few years into their marriage because Leia got caught up in the political aspect of the Republic, and Han wanted to have adventures, so he took off. Basically she pines away for him for 20 years while Han goes back to smuggling and womanizing. Luke is getting worried because Leia is getting past her child-bearing ages and she's carrying the Force sensitive gene, so he sets up Han with Leia...Leia meets up with Han only to find him with another woman, this ticks her off and they have a fight. The next day Leia tries to talk it out with Han and they work things out...I didn't really like that story though. I thought it was out of character that Leia would wait for Han to come back for 20 years and remain faithful during that time, but that's just me.

18. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    I read that one too! I totally agree with you! I forgot about that one with Han basically abandoning her. I'm sorry, but they wouldn't be able to work passed *that* especially after 20 years. You're right, the whole thing is ridiculous.

About the other one....I thought the most disturbing part was the whole thing with Han having a son. That didn't make sense with the movies AT ALL. but as I said, it was 4 am so it was either read those stories are sit through skinemax. I'll take the stories :)

EDIT: oh wait! i thought of another creepy story. LOL! Did you read the one when Han is taken to Jabba. And instead of being in carbonite the whole time, he is like beaten and tortured like an animal. It's so horrible. And then by the time Luke and Chewie save him he is completely INSANE. It's so weird. He like drools and acts like an animal. I don't know why I am laughing, but it's just very hard for me to picture HAN SOLO like this. And then he wouldn't let people get within a certain distance of him or else he would like scream. It was so bizarre. Anyways, if you haven't read it, then I suggest you KEEP IT THAT WAY. Aaah, I am still trying to banish the memories of that story from my brain to this day.

19. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I agree. I think if Han left Leia, she'd be devestated for a while, at least a few years, but in time she'd let go and move on, and eventually find someone more suited to her lifestyle (if that was the reason they broke up). Probably a "nice man" rather than a scoundrel since she wouldn't repeat the same mistake. Besides Han was such a jerk in that fic - I wouldn't have taken him back. And the whole thing about Leia thinking that both of them should stay faithful over 20 years was ridiculous.

20. Ken_Benobi

Nov 21, 2000
    Wait for 20 years i don't think so.

Leia is far too independent minded for that. After maybe 6 months she'd just think "oh well, plenty more Calamari in the sea" and move on.

I can't see them ever being friends if they ever (yikes! hypothetical only) split - there's is too passionate a relationship.

But as far as i'm concerned they were together at the end of RotJ and thats good enough fer me!

21. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    I also didn't like Luke's attitude about trying to find another guy for her just so she would have Jedi children and carry on the bllod or whatever. Hey Luke, here's an idea: find a woman YOURSELF and get teh job done. Geez! I think I read the Insane Han story the same night. Ahhh...the middle of the night boredom. It makes us subject ourselves to the unspeakable :)

22. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    Ugh! Why do people write stuff like that? Han would never treat Leia like that. Even if she is all involved in politics. Which is another question:

Where did people get the idea that she was going to be some hardnose politico after ROTJ? She helped with the rebellion and was a senator, but I always thought that was to get inside info on the Empire. But who is to say she liked that crap? I mean Luke was supposed to train her as a Jedi. Plain and simple. I truly believe she would have left all the politics to those who were REALLY in charge, like Mon Mothma and such, and concentrated on being a jedi.

But enough of all this negative stuff. We know none of that stuff happens. Let's not get bogged down on storylines by others, especially those that have no place realistically in the SW universe.

Were were we in our discussion on the films?

23. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    OK here's a discussion question for the films - Why do you think it took so bloody long for Han and Leia to get together? Obviously there was a spark from the beginning - why do you think they didn't get togther right away?

My theory is that Leia was pretty cold to Han and Han, the guy who could usually have women fall at his feet, was afraid of rejection. Also he knew he couldn't stick around because he had to pay off Jabba. What are your guy's thoughts?

24. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    I think I pretty much have to agree with you Ariel. I also think that each of them needed to see past the preconceived notions they had of eachother. Han may have initial thought of her as snotty royalty, while Leia just saw the selfish scoundrel. They needed to get to know eachother as real people.

25. set271

set271 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2000
    My take on it is that they *knew* they loved each other from the start, and for lots of reasons were frightened by that, so every time something happened to bring them closer together their defenses came up (perhaps in the form of her "snottiness" and his "selfishness").

Terri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.