main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Han and Leia in the EU - A Discussion Thread (Life Debt spoilers must be tagged)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by unicorn, Feb 10, 2016.

1. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    Something like that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Hoo boy. if that's the end of R1................

3. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    I just hope that, if that's the ending of Rogue One, Queen Breha is included.

Ginger, PCCViking, dragonchic and 2 others like this.
  4. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Breha was briefly seen in ROTS from a distance so they can always use a similar actress if they cant get the original.

dragonchic likes this.
  5. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    General_Leia_Organa likes this.
  6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Carrie's actual daughter is one of the Rebels. :)

Darth Basin and Endor_boy like this.
  7. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    She could definitely pass as Leia, no question. It still makes me feel weird thinking about someone other than Carrie playing her. But if, as I suspect, her screen time is barely a few seconds and we don't see her close enough to see it isn't Carrie, then I'm good with it. If she is on screen a lot and actually see her close up then I might start freaking out a little.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

8. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    The fact that the credits (which sure, may be fake) include special thanks to Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing makes me wonder if they're doing some kind of facial morph, similar to what we saw with RDJ in Civil War. I hope not tbh, I think seeing Leia from a distance would be enough. Not like anyone in the theater WOULDN'T recognize a girl in a white dress with cinnamon roll hair.

unicorn and Claire1976 like this.
  9. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    Yeah, I think that's certainly possible. No reason to thank Carrie if they aren't using some aspect of her, either her voice or her face!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

10. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Billie Lorde looks just like her mother Carrie. If anyone plays Leia without facial morphing technology, I want it to be Billie.

11. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    I really hope Adam Driver isn't take cues from JJ and Rian Johnson and is just doing his own spin on the character. His latest interview:

I feel that character [Kylo] makes sense to me. The family dynamic and desperately wanting family to be part of his life but not getting it. The anxiety and lot of anger that creates and that lasts a lifetime. When we finished that I was like I believe we made it personal.

That sounds more like something Daisy Ridley should say about Rey, not Kylo, doesn't it? Kylo had a loving mother, father, and Uncle who would have done anything for him. He chose to throw it all away by joining the Dark Side and slaughtering all of Luke's padawans. Then, even after he had done all these horrible things and murdered countless people, his mother and father still loved him to want him back home. His dad OFFERED him the chance to go home with him and his mom, and he stabbed him to death in response. But he's whining about how he desperately wants a family and doesn't have one? Dude, you HAD ONE who loved you still after everything you had done. Rey is the one who was abandoned by her family!

12. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    lol that's ridiculous, when has family ever NOT been part of Kylo's life? Even when he was "sent away," he was sent to his freaking uncle (his mother's twin and one of his father's best friends, no less).

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, Kylo's viewpoint is certainly full o' crap, but in terms of making the character work, it does have a certain sense to it.

That and the FO is clearly full of fools who believe they know better than everyone else, so Kylo's fool mindset fits perfectly.

14. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

I know, the "AwwpoorKylo" crowd acts like Leia sent him off to military boarding school for incorrigible boys or something. He was sent to her loving brother and an Uncle who would have loved and cared for him as if he was his own son. She sent him to the one person who understood this awesome power that he had and was the only person who could help him develop and understand it. No one ever criticizes the parents who sent their kids off to Professor Xavier's X-Men School for gifted mutants, or Hermione's parents for sending her to Hogwart's to develop her magical powers. And in those cases the parents were sending their kids to a total stranger!

15. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Sirius Black, Harry Potter, Finn, Rey, Jyn, probably Han... cinema has many examples of heroes who have had a terrible childhood/abusive family and continue to do what is right. Meanwhile we have villains like Lord Voldemort or Ward, who had a sad past but didn't deserve redemption

16. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    So far from what we've heard, the lame motives for Kylo Ren being a mass murderer are laughable. Being angry your whole life because you want more than what you were given is hardly inspirational, admirable, or sympathetic.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thinking about it, that might be the point. After all, we've had years of the "everyone's a hero in their own story" outlook, that there's shades of "grey", for years. How do you set a new SW story apart from that? Well, how about by having the most pathetic bunch of villains going, yet ones that do parallel a key aspect of the world and look to be so for years?

18. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    He's like the epitome of the stereotyped entitled millennial who thinks he's a special snowflake who "deserves" more attention. I keep hearing "Han and Leia's attention wasn't enough for the attention he needed. He was special needs." He "needed" more attention? Geez, he should be lucky he didn't have any siblings.

Also the "it makes the heroes flawed to make them bad parents and explores nuance and depth" argument is BS. There's "flawed" and then there's having the characters behave in ways completely opposite to how they were established in the OT. Never mind the warm, nurturing woman Leia develops into by ROTJ, in ANH she takes the time to comfort Luke after Obi-Wan dies after her entire planet explodes, but then we're supposed to believe she ignores her own child for the sake of her work. That's not even ANH Leia, that's some random character they made up to fit their personal AwwPoorKylo canon.

19. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't really have a problem with Kylo Ren's story as I think it fits thematically with the War On Terror, Millennial aspect of things. Kylo Ren serving as one of the John Walker Lindh/ISIS sort of recruit for the First Order.

Han and Leia clearly both loved their son but they also clearly did not understand him or have an ability to relate to him. If we're believing General Organa's statement on things, he was also heavily influenced in his perception of his family by Snoke. Whatever the case, though, statements like Kylo's "he'll only disappoint you" make me think he was looking for something particular from his parents which he never got.

My opinion being that Luke, Han, and Leia didn't want Ben to be a big famous galaxy conquering hero but just safe and happy.

20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm really not a fan of the whole "CGI an old actor's face onto a new one." If Leia is only making a small cameo (and I suspect that that's what it would be if she's in this), then just use makeup to make the new actress look more like Carrie, and then shoot her scene(s) in such a way that it looks convincing.

Not that hard really.

21. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    Han is getting recast for a whole movie or more, so I think we're going to have to get used to recasts. I'm cautiously optimistic that the stories we get from that will be good enough to win us over.

22. LoveThis

LoveThis Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 18, 2016
    All the trailers for Rogue One look like just another action movie... I'm not sure I really care that much yet... we'll see.

23. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    I'm definitely seeing Rogue One but I won't be going to the midnight showing like I did with TFA. I'll wait a couple of days this time.

24. LoveThis

LoveThis Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 18, 2016
    Yeah, I think we're going to see it anyway because my son wants to, but there's something about the cinematography, shot blocking, and general vibe of the trailers that reads more like the recent spate of Marvel Comics movies. Just really generic "action movie" stuff with lots of explosions and people fighting and shooting at each other. I kind of felt the same way about TFA. I miss the experimental and avant garde cinema influences in the OT.

25. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    That's strange, all the cinematography I've seen so far for this movie has, to me, seemed far more artistic than much of the rest of Star Wars.

There are wonderful shots like the Death Star eclipsing the sun, the wonderful perspective-flip of the upside-down Death Star, and in general a lot more interesting and creative shot compositions than a lot of the rather workmanlike rest of Star Wars.

Not that there aren't some wonderful bits of cinematography in all of the movies, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

masterskywalker, Daneira and Jedi Ben like this.