main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Han and Leia in the EU - A Discussion Thread (Life Debt spoilers must be tagged)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by unicorn, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't Lucas himself use the phrase "Gone With The Wind In Outer Space" at least once?:

And others have commented on the dialogue and poster similarities:
    Presumably Lucas moved away from "Han as Rhett" with the carbonite scene, Han asking Chewie to take care of Leia, etc - and even more so in ROTJ.

2. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Han Solo ???? Movie????
    [​IMG] [face_whistling]

Claire1976 and unicorn like this.
  3. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

There's a ton of similarities and some blatant copying, not disputing that. But throughout GWTW, Scarlet remains a selfish and spoiled narcissist while Rhett remains a callous jerk. Neither of them change. He also rapes her at one point, which is something I think we can all agree Han would never do to Leia.

In ROTJ, Leia's character changes to put love over duty and rescue Han and commits fully to her relationship with him (volunteering to join him on his mission), while Han develops into a mature and unselfish leader by officially joining the Rebellion and volunteering to lead a dangerous mission. Kasdan in his interviews (along with JJ) just seem to want to ignore all the character development because Han's "cooler" as the rogue in ANH/ESB and Leia's more fiery and "feminist" as a bad ass Rebellion leader sans love interest.

There's documented evidence of the fights Kasdan and Lucas got in over ROTJ, with Kasdan wanting ROTJ to end on a bittersweet note and the three heroes either going their separate ways and/or Han dying and Luke and Leia going their separate ways.

4. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    "Han and Leia probably did get married," Lucas conceded. "They settled down. She became a senator, and they got a nice little house with a white picket fence. Han Solo is out there cooking burgers on the grill."

While JJ said that Han couldn't settle down and that it could be a betrayal to his character

5. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

JJ's favourite movie is ANH and he has never said anything good about ROTJ (I think he's one of those ANH and ESB were awesome and then it was downhill since there fans), so I just think he ignores any character development Han and Leia had in ROTJ because he thinks Han was cooler as a single smuggler.

Even between ANH and ESB Han sticks around for 3 years when he really has no reason to so to say he can't stick around seems at odds even with ESB Han.

6. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013

From linkee - "the concept of Han Solo that i developed from the extended universe {legends} was that he was this man who lied, stole, cheated, killed, swindled, and smuggled for a living out of necessity, because of the aggressive and poor and cutthroat environment he was born and raised in, he learned how to fight, and how to be selfish and hard and suspicious, because that was survival, and all throughout that there’s still all these indications that he was trying to find some goddamn stability so he could be the decent person he actually wanted to be (joining the Academy, saving Chewbacca, etc.) – and so when he got to marry Leia, and they had Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin, he was in the place where he was all safe and stable and he had a home and family and it was everything he really had always wanted, he’d just never had the privilege of luxury of striving for it or thinking he’d get it "

First of all, yes. This guy gets it like J. J. Abrams doesn't.

Second of all, it's actually even more complex, more interesting, and more of a credit to Han Solo than that. Han is a man who was raised by criminals but who always had an honest streak and wanted to some day be more, raise himself to honor and respectability. And thanks to a ton of hard work and risk taking, it works out for him when he joins the Imperial Starfleet. But, he quickly discovers that "honest" society sanctions crimes that are as bad as anything he's ever seen among regular outlaws, and because he actually is honest and honorable, he ultimately can't be a part of that either. And goes back to the outlaw life, where he's still in the company of scoundrels, but at least has a little more independence to do things on his own terms.*

Which is noteworthy because it means the uniform isn't just the costume for him that it could easily have been. There's lots of people who, having pulled themselves out of the pit, would cling to their newfound respectability for all it was worth and then some, and simply ignore all the ugly things that were right in front of their eyes - becoming, as Captain Cohl might've said, just a licensed crook instead of a common crook. But Han isn't that guy, which says a lot about how much of a moral center he already has.

(Doesn't mean he's perfect, or that he never does things out of greed or convenience - he's only human, and the environment does encourage that. But still).

I always figured Dewlanna probably deserved the lion's share of the credit for putting him on the path to becoming more than just another Shrike.

* Point of interest: this is also Jack Sparrow's origin story. Yes, because A. C. Crispin wrote a book about him too, but if you watch the deleted scenes from "At World's End," you can see that the basic story was the same long before she got her hands on the character - child of pirates, at some point goes to work for the East India Trading Company, frees a cargo of slaves, and goes back to the outlaw life.

7. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, that'll be for the sequel for ESB in 3 years time.

9. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Ginger, Jedi Ben, Iron_lord and 3 others like this.
  10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yep, I think the whole Reylo concept is indicative ("symptomatic", as we'd say in French) of a deeply twisted view of sentimental relationships that's way too common in what they accurately call the "post-Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey age."

Ginger, Jedi Ben and unicorn like this.
  11. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Ginger, Jedi Ben and unicorn like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  13. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
  14. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Apparently they just announced a new Leia novel by Claudia Gray at Celebration. Sounds like a Young Adult novel but if Claudia's writing it, then we know we are in for a treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, it'll be good.

16. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Super excited about the Leia news in Forces of Destiny and young Leia book! I always felt gypped we never got a pre ANH Leia book in the old EU when I consider her life as a double agent far more interesting than Luke or Han's. I know we're in good hands with Claudia Gray. Do you think she'll give Leia a pre ANH love interest?

Love the tribute to Leia, but like someone mentioned in another forum, it's a little disingenuous of LFL/Disney to be falling all over themselves about what a groundbreaking feminist icon Leia was who little girls looked up to but then in the official material push the anti feminist BS that Leia was a failure as a wife and mother because she had an important career.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Do I need say anything more?

[​IMG]

Darkslayer, Ginger, unicorn and 2 others like this.
  18. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    [​IMG]

Ginger, unicorn and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Help me out here guys: can someone explain to me why Reylo shippers hate Han/Leia? Or why Reylo fans would be trying to make Han and Leia's relationship dysfunctional and doomed to fail? I'm sure there's a reason but seeing as I only skim fandom from time to time I don't know what it is.
    Isn't it just?!

Ginger and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I would guess it's:

"If Kylo's fall was partly due to Han/Leia's dysfunctional relationship - that makes Kylo much more sympathetic, and thus, his redemption by Rey, easier to support"

Ginger, unicorn and Jedi Jessy like this.
  21. dragonchic

dragonchic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 9, 2015
    Plus in their mind it makes it easier to justify killing Han...because murder is a totally appropriate response to your father not doting on you enough as a child.

22. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

Usually Reylo is based on the premise of Kylo being a sympathetic character and it not really being his fault he went to the Dark Side and thus able to be fully redeemed before he can marry Rey. So the easiest way to make him sympathetic is to give him a tragic childhood - in this case having to suffer through Han and Leia screaming at each other constantly and Han walking out on both of them and Han and Leia being abusive parents. That way it's Han and Leia's fault he went Dark, not Kylo's. Most Reyloers don't give a hoot about the OT and only got into SW when TFA came out so they don't really care about crapping all over Han and Leia's characters as long as it makes Kylo look good.

Apparently there was an audio drama of a Han/Leia adventure pre ESB that came out during celebration? Did anyone listen to it? I heard it had a few cute UST moments.

Also, the Han Solo panel had a discussion topic about "Was fatherhood too much of a challenge for Han Solo?" but I think it was just a fan made panel not an official LFL one (if it is, I'll be annoyed).

23. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    It was definitely a fan panel unicorn. Nothing official. I'm wondering if it will be on YouTube at some point, I'd be interested in watching it. But I think only the big panels were filmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unicorn and Ginger like this.
  24. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
  25. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Smuggler's Revenge is the onstage audio drama performed at this year's celebration. I really liked it. It's posted on the Disneyland Experience Youtube Channel.