main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Han and Leia in the EU - A Discussion Thread (Life Debt spoilers must be tagged)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by unicorn, Feb 10, 2016.

1. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    What exactly did she say? I haven't been keeping up with the comics. I've noticed a lot of the comic book authors just tend to revert Leia to a complete b**** and have her extremely physically aggressive, neither of which makes any sense with her characterization in the movies. I dunno if it's because it's the comic book format they think they can't get her POV across without having her throw things or punch people?

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Leia crabs at Han and Luke for running off and not following orders so Triple Zero ends up doing some horrific violence which solves their problem, even though Leia is repulsed by it. Triple Zero points out that he is actually doing what she needed to get done although she berates Han and Luke, and Triple Zero points out that maybe she would he happier if they acted more like him. There's a particular closeup on Leia looking sad at that moment, so I think the series is coming around to not having Leia be perpetually snippy and angry with them.

3. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Wow, that sounds awful. The way Leia acts in some of the ANH-ESB comics there's no way Han would have stuck around for 3 years falling in love with her.

I really liked the Leia-Han relationship and Leia's characterization in Razor's Edge which takes place between ANH and ESB, hopefully they do a similar novel during that time.

Also, apparently Pablo was saying on twitter that Leia has a better Force mind shield than Luke which is why she was able to resist Vader's mind probe but Vader could read Luke's mind. Of course this is now being used to crap all over her on the tumblrsphere that she "could have helped Ben but chose not to".

Diego Lucas, Ginger, Jedi Ben and 2 others like this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "You will obey orders, or I will court-martial you back to moisture farming" is a great line for a strict military commander with a maverick subordinate - I could easily imagine Wedge or Ackbar saying it in the EU to an ex-moisture farmer subordinate.

It's just not a very Leia line.

Ginger and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Ugh. That's AWFUL. Leia would never say that to Luke. I'm assuming that she IS talking to Luke, unless there's another moisture farmer in the Rebellion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Leia is totally out of character in this comics, the last issues an evil c3po made a terrible comment about her as if she is like him (this girl was tortured by Vader while evil c3po likes to torture people). I have no idea what's going on and why Marvel writers think in Leia like that.

7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Anyone catch this? At 8:12.

Andi: Anthony, you know what Sunday is?
    Anthony: Father's Day.
    Andi: Yes, and you know what Star Wars has a lot of?
    Anthony: Horrible dads!

And then a picture of Han appears on the bottom of the screen. The official Star Wars propaganda arm is peddling this nonsense.

8. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    ^ Wow. A father who risked his life to try to save him son and bring him home is now a horrible dad?

Oh yeah, I forgot. Poor, poor Kylo Ren, it’s not his fault that his parents did not force him to not become the mass-murdering criminal that he chose to be.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The official Star Wars message does not need to be that "Han was horrible Dad," and if the writers are trying to get me to sympathize with Kylo, that direction will have the opposite effect.

10. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I'm having a really hard time understanding how being murdered by your own son makes a person a bad parent? It's seems to me that the horrible person is the one who has done the killing. Is the official Star Wars site trying to give kids today the message that it's okay to kill mom and dad if you are "disappointed" by them, making up your own terms of what's constitutes disappointment?

11. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    http://www.starwars.com/news/comic-book-galaxy-darth-vader-1-sith

"Comments

Marília Gabt ·

I liked Screaming Citadel #1, unfortunately Leia still out of character.
    "You will obey orders, or I will court-martial you back to moisture farming"
    that's not Leia, especially she didn't talk to Luke like that (in ANH she already made a bond with him). And why she still fisically attacking any of her friend in every arc?
    This arc started fantastic but now... I'm just still reading because of Sana/Dr Aphra

Likes· 4"

12. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    September 2017 solicitations

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS ANNUAL #3
    JASON LATOUR (W) • MICHAEL WALSH (A/C)
    Variant Cover by ROD REIS
    • The Rebel Alliance is on the lookout for a new secret base!
    • Rebellion leader Princess Leia goes with Han Solo to scope out a secret hideout only he knows…
    • …as well as the group of killers who want him dead!
    40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2017 Lucasfilm Ltd.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, the cover depicts that state of play after Leia has gut-shot Han with a blaster because she's pissed at him again, then he reminds her only he knows the secret hideout so Leia has to lug his useless carcass around, right?

Or am I just being too cynical here?

Daneira and Jedi Jessy like this.
  14. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    Yep because that is what Han and Leia are reduced to in this new canon. Is someone at Lucasfilm actually approving this stuff?

This description sounds like it could be the Ord Mantell mission mixed in with finding a location for the Hoth base.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Can't be, that had all three of them working together effectively!

16. Claire1976

Oct 20, 2013
    Lol not in the new "canon"!

Jedi Jessy and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    Praying for Leia and Han not being OOC
    [​IMG]

18. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Han seems really underdressed for those weather conditions.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  19. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    In the comics Han is always using his ANH clothes, Leia uses her ESB costume and Luke is with his clothes of ANH ceremony. Just in Han Solo Comics and Leia Comics we saw them in new costumes

20. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    "Even though the Women Are Star Wars panel was generally awful, here are two things the wonderful Timothy Zahn said that I really loved (one from the panel and one I overheard at his table).

- From what I gathered, he’s not a huge fan either of the way Han and Leia were treated in TFA. While acknowledging that Star Wars — and much of media in general — has often been about broken families, he insisted that there’s a place for a healthy family; that you can have a healthy family and conflict at the same time. He cited The Incredibles as a good example of that, and said he hoped that Lucasfilm would keep in mind stories like that as they go forward." http://onwardintolight.tumblr.com/post/162289043065/even-though-the-women-are-star-wars-panel-was

[​IMG]

21. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Thank God Zahn was picked to kick off the original EU. If we'd gotten someone like JJ Abrams he'd have Han separated from Leia off smuggling because it's "cooler". Zahn did a great job showing how Han had grown and evolved from the General in ROTJ to a respectable family man who still used his smuggling roots and skills he picked up from his past to help the New Republic.

Zahn's vision is much closer to what Lucas envisioned for Han and Leia ("settled down with a white picket fence") than JJ's broken family. I'm tired of reading about "of course Han and Leia were never destined to have a settled down life" when their creator used the words "settled down" to describe their future!

Daneira, Ginger, Sologal and 8 others like this.
  22. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    So in Dr Aphra #Issue 8... Leia flirting Han and not attacking anybody? MARVEL HEARD ME ^:)^

BigAl6ft6, Jedi Ben and Daneira like this.
  23. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
  24. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    [​IMG]

And the last scene where everybody is on the Falcon and Han asked to Leia if he will get another medal lol
    PS: Leia feels Luke made something to save everybody (but of course she didn't notice it's the Force or because they're twins) and hugs him

unicorn likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, that was really nice to see Leia being less of a hardass towards the guys, I get the feeling the comic is leaning more towards ESB and Han and Leia are literally exchanging soulful, silent glances at the start of that so you'd figure they have to lean more romantic in the close to ESB / Hoth period.

Will canon be changed with Han and Leia's first kiss not happening in The Falcon while hiding out in the Space Slug? Dahhhh!!! I could deal with that. you really think they're gonna four years without kissing until then? (Unless they've already had one and I've totally spaced on it)