main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Han and Leia in the EU - A Discussion Thread (Life Debt spoilers must be tagged)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by unicorn, Feb 10, 2016.

1. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Yeah and if that hadn't happened first it's possible they would have fallen out when Anakin died or Jacen fell to the Dark Side. Han got scared when he realized how close he had come to losing Leia and made a vow in Star by Star to never close Leia off again.

Also, Kasdan has said if Han had returned from Starkiller Base he and Leia would have reunited, so it would have been similar to their estrangement in the NJO except being five years instead of a year.

New info about the Princess Leia book coming out in September: http://ew.com/books/star-wars-the-last-jedi-book-series-covers/princess-of-alderaan-by-claudia-gray/ Who else is super excited for this?!

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Do you have a source on Han and Leia reuniting if Han survived? He wouldn't have brought Ben back like Leia wanted.

3. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    "“I had thought Han’s story and Leia’s story was just about them coming back together. At the end of the movie they would have reconciled and gotten over their differences. And you would have said, ‘Okay, bad stuff happened, but at least they’re back together again. J.J. rightly asked, ‘What is Han doing in this movie?’ If we’re not going to have something important and irreversible happen to him, then he kind of feels like luggage. He feels like this great, sexy piece of luggage you have in your movie. But he’s not really evolving. He’s not really pushing the story forward."

http://www.slashfilm.com/j-j-abrams-talks-that-the-force-awakens-kylo-ren-scene/

4. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Oh, ok...so this is just an interpretation on your part.

Thanks for clarifying!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

5. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    And thanks for being sarcastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I was being absolutely sincere, actually. I wanted to know want you had meant, and you elaborated. I don't agree, but that's besides the point.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

7. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

And in both the novelizations when they go into Han's thoughts right before he confronts Kylo he thinks about how he wants to go back to D'Qar and reunite with Leia.

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  8. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I'd have liked to see them reunite. I honestly don't like the reasoning they had for killing Han. Just because you can't find something for a character to do, doesn't mean they have to die. Han serving as a mentor to Rey and then reuniting with Leia would be a good story for him in TFA. After that he could have just been in the background. That wouldn't necessitate him overshadowing the new characters because he'd only have a small role. I like TFA a lot and had predicted Han's death the moment the film was announced. Still I wish it didn't happen or they'd have done it for a different reason. I'd have liked Han and Leia having more closure. You could tell they loved each other, but they deserved a proper reunion.

9. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

I agree. In the outline leaked there was supposed to be a scene in Leia's bedroom where they worked out their differences with the description "the spark was still there" but that seems to have gotten cut because it revealed what Rey's identity was and they decided to keep that a secret at the last minute. I feel too many people watched TFA and thought it was old lovers who had been involved 30+ years ago briefly reuniting or a divorced couple who still cared for each other but were never going to get back together. It was left way too vague and JJ left it to Harrison and Carrie to do the heavy lifting in projecting the feelings they still had for each other.

My friend with divorced parents said she really appreciated JJ putting in a "realistic version of how divorced spouses react when they are forced to interact with each other but haven't had a bitter break up and still care for each other", as opposed to how most Hollywood movies have divorced spouses at each other's throats. She said it reminded her of when her mom was in the hospital and ex-husband came to visit her, and even though they would never be back together, he was able to show her he still cared for her. I understand that she feels that she saw something she can relate to, but I still kind of hate that so many people got that impression of Han and Leia's interactions in TFA.

10. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Anyone gotten a hold of the first chapter of Claudia Gray's Princess Leia book? It's out now in the Lost Stars paperback.

Jedi Jessy and LelalMekha like this.
  11. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    I was at Barnes & Nobles yesterday but didn't know to look for that book or know that it was putting a preview in that paperback. [face_plain]

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  12. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Has anyone read the excerpt yet?

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope. Why would I want a starter when I can get the main meal in its entirety in but a few weeks?

14. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    unicorn, PCCViking , Loth-cat and 4 others like this.
  15. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    cute!

MattOrgana likes this.
  16. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    That is a fantastic moment. More of this, please.

17. Loth-cat

Loth-cat Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2017
    Wow. I love how much can get conveyed through a few panels... you can almost feel how peaceful and calm that moment is for them. Cool evening breeze, twinkling stars, and how special it is to share it with a best friend (.../twin;)). Thanks for posting, MattOrgana.

PCCViking and MattOrgana like this.
  18. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Who else here is getting excited for Claudia Gray's Leia book?

Also, now that more information has come out about Emilia Clarke's character Kura in the Han Solo movie, what's with all the articles that she's going to be Rey's mom? How does that work mathematically?!!

19. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016
    I really want to read it (I want to see more about Organa family raising Leia and if she feels the Force unconsciously etc).

About Kira: every woman in star wars universe has a post about "She is Rey's mom????" :rolleyes: even Mon Mothma has one (?????????). The next: "Is Jabba Rey's dad? Maybe he is!"

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Got my copy of the Leia book on its way!

21. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Rey's original name was Kira, so maybe that's where people are getting it from. More likely LFL is just really unimaginative with names :p

Jedi Ben, give us the scoop after you've read!

Jedi Ben and Loth-cat like this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh I will - when I have it.

unicorn likes this.
  23. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Who here has pre-ordered the Leia book for this Friday? I need to do that.

According to Jen Heddle, there'll be a link between the Leia book and what happens to Leia in TLJ. Any speculation as to what that could be? Unless there's a fast forward, I don't really understand how that would work.

24. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    The links to the movie are more thematic this time around than the pre-TFA books, Michael Siglain said. Probably parallels to her future offspring.

Michael Siglain, creative director for Lucasfilm Publishing: “It’s just a different journey than last time [with Journey to The Force Awakens]. There are still some Easter eggs in a couple of pieces that will make sense after seeing the film. But this one is more thematically tied to The Last Jedi.” (July 20, 2017)

Michael Siglain: “There’s a very strong connection to some things from The Last Jedi [in Leia: Princess of Alderaan], which, again, once you see the film will make sense.” (July 20, 2017)

25. Jedi Jessy

Feb 28, 2016