main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Han and Leia in the EU - A Discussion Thread (Life Debt spoilers must be tagged)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by unicorn, Feb 10, 2016.

1. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    if your talking Rey, I can't say that. I love Rey. Give her some time. she is just beginning.

iluvkoalas likes this.
  2. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    I think she meant Kylo, since Rey is obviously not Han and Leia's.

I miss Jaina too, and Han's special relationship with her. Or Han having a non-Force sensitive kid he could relate to would have been nice.

Abrams wanted to reset the galaxy back to ANH, but hopefully the EU will give us more insight into the galaxy rebuilding after the peace treaty signed at the Battle of Jakku and the political situation of the New Republic. From what Leia says in Bloodline, it seems it's been so peaceful the past 20 years the next generation has forgotten how dangerous the Empire was. Unfortunately, Pablo said "There's not much point in reliving the 90s" when I asked if there would be books about the Solo family in happier times. However, I'm sure they'll get around to writing in that time period, or maybe even an animated TV series some day.

Jedi Jessy and IamZam like this.
  3. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, definitely meant Kylo, not Rey.

I clicked on that link, did not read the whole thing because I don't want to get too spoiled, but the few bits of "commentary" I read were either LOL-worthy or worthy of an eye-roll due to the grotesque misunderstanding of Han and Leia.

Because Ben is 23 when he turned, he does not act like a child as many claim? LOLwut?

JediMatteus, iluvkoalas and IamZam like this.
  5. Sixes

Sixes Jedi Master star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    I enjoyed TFA, helps that i don't care for the character of Han or Chewbacca i guess.
    But i thought you people would like this.

[​IMG]

6. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    In the excerpt, Leia says her and Han are often apart because of work, but because they fought all the time, so I think that Reylo fan is just blowing Han's joke that if they spent 3 months together on a small ship they'd kill each other out of proportion. It seems similar to Bantam when they didn't see each other a lot because they both had busy schedules.

7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    don't really love what i am hearing.

8. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I'm not loving what I've heard concerning H/L's relationship but I'll have to read the book myself before I can really comment.

9. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Count me among the seemingly growing number of discontents over Han and Leia's relationship.

Just a few days ago I had renewed hope for the NEU and Han and Leia's place in it, but know we learn from the 3 free chapters that they seem to have spent very little time together over the course of their marriage. As a Han and Leia fan this is extremely disappointing. I have to wonder why TPTB even bothered to marry them off in the first place if they were only going to keep them apart.

Jedi Ben, mcgo, unicorn and 2 others like this.
  10. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    I'm with you too. Some of the snippets from Bloodline are great, and Claudia Gray has done a great job with what she was given. But the more I hear about it the more I fear that once again Han and Leia have been shafted. Someone at Lucasfilm clearly absolutely detests them and it's really not fair. Is it too much to ask that they get treated properly?

Looks like I'll be going back to Legends and stuff the new canon.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

11. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    I'm getting mixed feeling, but I've learned to take reviews with a grain of salt, especially when I haven't read the book. Some may be trolling, and many are just biased or have totally different taste.

I'm not going to get myself worked up, until I have something concrete to get worked up about. I want to judge for myself, not by someone else's possible misinterpretation of it.

Trust me, if there is anything good or bad, I'll be one of the first one's to spoiler tag my feelings, complete with page numbers.

Come on Tuesday, I want my book already.. too bad there isn't any camping out like there was with the Harry Potter books.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Whatever happens, we have to remember that Claudia had to work with what she was told. The amount of damage control she may do is limited, but I trust her skills.

Jedi Ben, Darth_Duck and IamZam like this.
  13. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Oh I'd never blame Claudia. It's not her fault, she is one of us after all. She loves Han and Leia.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

14. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    We are so, so lucky the author to write the first canon book about Han and Leia's marriage was a huge Han/Leia fan. Imagine if we got some non Han/Leia fan who wrote them as roommates (the way they were sometimes written in Bantam).

A bit worried that if Rian Johnson had input on Bloodline, that means JJ and him probably talked about this backstory of Ben feeling "abandoned" because of his absentee parents. Let's hope Rian didn't direct Claudia to put that in her book.

15. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    I don't blame Claudia either and am extremely appreciative of her for the lovely tidbits we got in the free chapters. I know she most likely had to follow a predetermined story outline.

16. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    Me too.

The funny thing is, as a sometimes fanfic writer, l have occasionally thought "what would it be like to be asked to write an official?" And it's very odd to think that if they asked me now, I'm pretty sure I'd say no (not that anyone is asking or will ask, given the raking over the coals I've given Disney's version of events).
    That may make some people roll their eyes, like "oh, yeah, of course you'd say no," but I actually do think I'd say "nah, have some of my own original stuff to work on," because something I'd really like to do is create an original story that shows a man and woman managing to fight together side-by-side as husband and wife in a SciFi universe just to show it can be done and is plenty filled with conflict and drama.

17. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    Clearly in Skywalker males it is. Both Luke and Anakin were world-class whiners. But it seems not to express itself in females. I had thought that it would be weeded out of the line with the non-whining Solo genes, but clearly it's a dominant gene only expressed in males, so Ben had a 50% chance of getting it.

IamZam, LoveThis and Sologal like this.
  18. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    But at least Luke grew out of it and matured. Anakin lost it when he went dark, and got all emotionless except for anger, which he kept tightly controlled and remained cold and calculating ( at least until Luke came back, but that's a different story)

Ben seems to have missed an important memo, he combined the whininess and the anger so he comes off like a little kid in a grown man's body.

19. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    So you're saying he's your average millennial. :)

IamZam likes this.
  20. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm starting to feel guilty for having been born in 1988. Not that I chose to, you know.

21. LoveThis

LoveThis Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 18, 2016
    I was surprised to learn Kylo was close to 30. After watching TFA I thought he was closer to 20 or in his late teens, he seemed so unstable!

22. mcgo

mcgo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 22, 2013
    You're forgiven :) -- I've taught some truly outstanding millennials who wouldn't throw an entitled hissy fit even if they WERE entitled to do it. It's just that as a generation, the entitled is strong with you... :)
    ON EDIT - I also just saw that you're not American. I only presume to speak of my experiences with American millennials, who are likely more entitled than most, because we American tend to act more entitled than we should a lot of the time!!

Ginger, IamZam and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like millenials. Kylo is just an entitled little **** who thinks he has no obligation to grow up.

As far as Han and Leia and the "disappointment" Kylo felt regarding Han...I imagine that Han was a no-bull**** type parent, because he's a no-bull**** type person, and Kylo, being a drama king who thinks the entire galaxy is supposed to revolve around his personal bull****, would be "disappointed" and feel "abandoned."

That's Kylo's problem, not Han's or Leia's.

As far as Han and Leia being apart much of their marriage, I'm OK with it, they knew what they were getting into and that's the way some marriages end up. And both of them being fiercely independent people, they probably would not enjoy being together 24/7.

I am annoyed at JJ Abrams and Adam Driver for their Han and Leia bashing though, and pretending that Kylo's bull**** is supposed to be important.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    On the evidence of Lost Stars alone, I have no doubt that Claudia Gray could create the most fantastic, platinum plated sparkly object that looks utterly amazing with whatever plot she was given to work with....

But.... A turd of plot remains a turd of a plot no matter the quality of polishing - which is the problem for me here.

Sologal, unicorn, Ginger and 3 others like this.
  25. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    I'm the mother of a millennial and sadly I've seen it. Luckily even my son says Kylo is a brat. So not all millennials are like that, just the ones who get all the press

I'm madder at JJ, stupid fanboy reliving his youth. I can see how Adam needs t get inside the mind of Kylo, and his warped view, which doesn't necessarily match reality. He is also brainwashed by Snoke.

Posted by HAL 9000 via Tapatalk

Sologal, unicorn, Ginger and 3 others like this.