main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han and Leia in the EU: A Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by boushh2187, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Welcome to the revamped version of Han and Leia: An EU Fan's Haven. All users who have something to contribute to the discussion are welcome to stop by. This thread is not only for hardcore EU fans alone. I think that most of us have something we don't like about the EU, so as long as everyone handles the discussion in a mature manner, everyone is more than welcome here. Please let us not have any EU bashing in this thread. There are other threads for that.

The thread has evolved into a somewhat structured discussion. If there isn't a current novel to discuss we basically go in timeline order to a list that will be posted later. Basically we go page by page looking for Han and Leia stuff (occasionally other characters and scenes make it into the discussion) and list page numbers and a summary. After that we discuss what we liked, what we didn't like and the conversation goes from there. Our latest discussion has been about the ebook "Recovery", so that's where we'll pick up.

Also, feel free to let us in on any SW news that you feel might be important, especially if it's H/L related in any way. :)

And last but not least? Please let there be no flaming or bashing whatsoever. Those who flame or post inappropriate things, will be brought to the attention of the moderators of this forum. If you receive any flames over PM's or emails please let the others of the thread know and most definitely inform the moderators. They like to know these things I think? Flaming is not allowed on the JC and it will not be tolerated in conjunction with this thread.

And with that, on we go with our discussion of "Recovery". Perhaps we can start off with our general thoughts on the book and then continue from there.

Happy New Year everyone. :)

2. DantSolo

DantSolo Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    Woo hoo!! The new thrrad is up! Nice job, boushh2187, master of the chiles. ^ :D ^

Well, I haven't read Recovery yet ::bows head in shame:: but I just wanted to welcome back our nice little thread and vote for keeping it harmonious. :)

Later,
    Dant

3. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    Sologal checking in. :)

I'm still catching up from the holidays and may not be able to really concentrate on the discussion for a day or two more. I've got four days worth of work to get caught up on. If anyone else wants to go ahead and reopen the discussion then I'll contribute what I can until such time I can devote more time to it. :)

4. Corran9

Corran9 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Would you look at that...a shiny new place to discuss stuff....hey I like the new floor. Tile...VERY nice. But I kinda liked the lanoleum in other place...

5. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Sologal: I hope you catch up on work pretty quick. I hate playing catch up myself. Stop in when you can, though. :)

Corran9: I rather like the tile. ;)

Recovery spoilers ahead:

I guess I can share my thoughts on "Recovery" really quick here. I loved it for the most part. Han and Leia were mostly together in the book which is so rare. A few times I actually forgot I was reading an official novel. That goes to show how little time they've spent together "on screen" so to speak in the EU lately. I liked that there was action and some quiet time for our heroes. I also liked how they began to further the mending of their relationship. I think Han was very sweet in how he was with her and how he helped her through this tough period. I wish there was maybe a little more discussion about how and why their relationship deteriorated and I sooo wish there was a kiss by that pool!!! Otherwise I think Troy Denning did a wonderful job with both characters and I'm so happy that we at least were able to see a bit of what happend after BP and prior to Conquest. It's too bad that we got to see it late and out of timeline order, but better late than never, I guess.

6. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Here I be!!!! :) Happy 2002!!! :)

I haven't finished Recovery yet (I've had so little time online), but soon, I swear! :D

~*~Bria

7. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    How far have you gotten, Bria? I still haven't done the second read myself, but it was helping when we were doing our page by page thing.

8. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Me? I've read through Ch.3. I hope to read more tomorrow morning, before I head to work, but I'll have to drag myself outta bed.... I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll be able to... heheh... I like to sleep. :D

I know if the ebook was in print, I'd have it done by now. I'm just not one to read really long stuff on the computer. For that, I like something I can curl up with and read in bed or by the fireplace, like I've been doing for the HP novels. I'm finally on the 4th and most current one. :)

~*~Bria

9. Leela

Leela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Bria, I had success printing it! Surprise, surprise! Yes, I was as shocked as the rest of you :eek: And, I might add, it is achingly simple. You know the key on your keyboard that has 'Print Screen' on it?

Yes. Simple as that. And if you turn the book sideways on your screen you can get it to come out the size of a standard novel.

10. Sologal

Aug 21, 2000
    I'm still hanging around. Sorry I haven't had time to participate lately. I've got a lot of work to catch up on. :( :)

Leela, that's a great tip, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. Maybe I'm not hitting the right key, although it does say 'Print Scrn'. My computer must be screwy. Oh well, I guess I'll have to buy the pb SbS afterall. ;) :)

11. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    My 'Print Screen' key says 'system required', and I guess we don't have the system because it's not working for me. Too bad, it would have been nice to have a printed copy. I've actually managed to read Recovery three times on the computer screen. No wonder I'm so behind in all my other reading. I'm only halfway through NSD3, and halfway through Rogue Planet. I'm finding it hard to get through Rogue Planet. I enjoy the story as long as Obi Wan and Anakin are on-screen, but as soon as they leave the page I have trouble staying interested.

12. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    I think when you do print screen you have to do Ctrl + Print Screen. SysRq is another option for the same key as Print Screen. You might want to try it again Ginger, I don't know.

What I was trying to do was hit Ctrl + Print Screen and then open up Photoshop (or maybe another image program) and Edit Paste the image in there and then print it. It was a little blurry when I tried it, so I decided to read it on the computer. I think I might try the printing thing again and see how it looks this time around...

13. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Oh I just figured it out. By hitting the 'alt' plus 'print screen' keyes I copy the imagine. Then I paste it in something else like word, which isn't working on our computer right now, or even excel. Then I can print it from there. Boy, that's going to be a lot of work but maybe just worth it. Thanks everyone.

14. Sologal

Aug 21, 2000
    Oooh! A couple more helpful hints. I'll have to try printing a page from Recovery again, but I think I'll wait until I'm at work. The printer is much faster there. Anyhow, thanks for the hints all. :)

15. set271

set271 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2000
    set271 checking in... sorry 'bout the silence. :)

Wow, Leela, you figured out how to print it! Thanks for letting us know, and thanks everyone for the tips! Of course now that I'm not at work, I'll have to print it here and like Sologal I have a much better setup at work. Oh, well. Maybe having a printout will better facilitate my re-reading. :)

Hope everyone had a happy New Year! :)

16. Sologal

Aug 21, 2000
    Ah set271, I was beginning the think the big event had occurred. ;)

I think it would be great to have a printed copy of Recovery to refer to for discussion. I'm anxious to try out the latest hints. :)

17. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    set271: I was beginning to wonder if the set271crawler had arrived myself. :)

I'm gonna try printing again also. I tried the night I downloaded it and then I just wanted to read it so bad, I gave up and read it on the computer. :) Didn't have the patience of a Jedi that night, I guess. :)

So who is for going a few pages at a time and talking about them? I know a lot of us are going to be busy in the next few days but we could go slow also...

18. Sologal

Aug 21, 2000
    Sounds like a good plan, boushh. I should be able to keep up okay if we take it slow for awhile. :)

19. Bria

May 15, 1999
    :eek: Whoa... wonder why I didn't think of that. I use my Print Scrn button all the time to do screen captures, but it never occured to me to try it and paste it into word. It worked. :D Though it would take to much time and effort to paste in all 90 pages and print them. I have to pay for my own ink cartridges, and when they are about $25 a piece, I can't justify printing something I know I'll buy in print soon enough. :(

Anyway.... I did sleep in (hehehe... :D), but I also got some more Recovery done. I'm now up to ch.5... I could've read more but I decided to run to Target before I went to work to buy TPM and Moulin Rogue. :D Now I'll just have to show restraint and not open them until I've been to Best Buy and Sam's Club to look at DVD players... just in case they have TPM and MR for less than I paid at Target. ;)

~*~Bria

20. Sologal

Aug 21, 2000
    Oh great day! It works! :D But like Leela, I would suggest rotating the page sideways. For some reason the print comes out smaller when you copy it the other way. I can see this will be a rather time consuming process so I'm reluctant to do this at work. Maybe I'll give it a try at home and see how long it takes to print a page. I mean, it's not like any of these pages are very long, and besides, if I'm at home and don't have to be anywhere then I'm not exactly pressed for time. :)

21. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    No set271crawler yet... *sigh* -- I'm due in less than a week, so I'm really ready now to get this show on the road! :)

Also fine with Boushh's plan. I think I'm actually going to have some re-reading time today! :D

22. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    AAARGH -- I tried to download the ebook to my other computer here at home, and it said I could only do one download per purchase. I could spend the $2.99 again... but has anyone been able to download it more than once? Just curious...

23. Sologal

Aug 21, 2000
    I loaded it on my computer at work and at home, but I made separate purchases in order to do so since I have two different email addresses. I didn't know if it would matter or not, but since it was only $2.99 I figured the easiest thing to do would be to make another purchase. :)

24. set271

Sep 11, 2000
    Thanks, Sologal! I thought maybe since I was downloading from the same email address it would work, but I guess it's worth another $2.99. :)

25. mena_lyn

mena_lyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2001
    Hiya, saw the new thread and thought I'd drop by. I agree, the tile floor is a nice touch. ;)

I haven't finished SBS OR Recovery yet. I'm a bad fan. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.