main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han and Leia's Club House

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Leela, Sep 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginger

Ginger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001

Everyone read so much faster than I do. I'm only up to Chapter 20. So far there's been a lot of Han and Leia. I'd say more than what was in Rebirth. No romance but a lot of poignant moments.

2. stevenhunter

stevenhunter Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2001
    spoiler

I don't think the H/L thing was handled badly, but I guess I don't like romance as some of the people here. The thing bringing this book down from being a favorite for me is how overly dark it is. Seems like a Jedi dies every page.

3. Leela

Leela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    I've just started SBS so I can't comment yet.

Set271 - nice to see you here! :)

stevenhunter - Corellian Blue's fics are supurb aren't they?! Just brilliant :D

EDIT: PS: I forgot to thank you for that Marysue list! What a hoot.

4. stevenhunter

stevenhunter Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2001
    Difficult Sometimes is my favorite Leela. Sorry I don't like smut much which is likely why that's my favorite of all of hers, so I guess I'm a bit biased.

The list - Well I try my best...It was funny, I originally only planned for 3 points then it turned into over 20. But the HST gave me so much opportunity!

5. Leela

Leela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    "Difficult Sometimes" was one of the very first fanfics I read (at the Han and Leia Shrine) when I first logged onto the internet in Nov. '99

It is still one of my favorites :)

6. Sologal

Sologal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    It amazes me that people are finished with SbS already. I'm still struggling to get through it. Real life just doesn't allow me to concentrate solely on it. :(

So far I have to say that Han and Leia have been handled very well and Dennings have them very much in character. While there's no romance, there is a very subtle affection between them. Overall, I'd say I'm pleased with the way they've been written. I'd have to say I agree with Steven. The worst thing for me with this book is the dark, depressing nature of the story.

I love "Difficult Sometimes". It's one of my very favorites. :)

7. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    I love Cindy's fics too, her and Marie are my all time favourite writers :) I have to say I think Dreaming is the best of her work, also really like On the Turn of a Dream.

I think the H/L stuff is done much better than Bantam ever did, and this has to the be the book with the highest page count of them together on it. I wish the interaction was a bit more explicit than so subtle. I still think Keyes wrote them better, with more affection, kissing and touching, and he had more humour to the banter. I definitely like Rebirth over Star by Star, even though I think Star by Star is better written, mainly because it had been the only NJO book so far where nothing horrible happened to the Solo family.

Most of the most poignant H/L moments come after the death for those who haven't gotten that far yet.

On a side note, I can't believe they turned Jaina to the Dark Side...Ugh, does every Jedi have to go to the Dark Side and back like it's some bad habit, like smoking?

8. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Cindy Olsen's fics are terrific. I became hopelessly hooked when I read "Difficult Sometimes," which is incredibly sexy even though there's no actual sex in it. She nails both Han and Leia's characters; I don't think I've seen any other writer, fanfic or profic, who got their personalities so right. How I wish she was writing the profic instead of the Del Rey authors. Same with Penny Century, who's only written one story that I've seen, but it was a great one.

I also like Sweetheart's (no, not our sweetheart) two fics on Organa-zation, although the second one, "What's for Dinner?" had one scene that I thought was way out of character for Han.

9. sweetheart

Jan 19, 2001
    Oh yeah I love PC's fic too. And Leela's artwork is delicious.

Do you mean the scene where Han like flashes Leia? Yeah I didn't like that either, especially when he knew what happened to her on the Death Star. Beside that, I like how she writes their relationship as being fun and sexy, and very much in love. She does a good balance of all the aspects of their relationship.

10. sweetheart

Jan 19, 2001
    Oh yeah did anyone see the Episode II trailer? I haven't seen it yet and I want details :)

11. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Yes, that's exactly the scene I mean. Other than that her fics are great. And Leela's artwork is fabulous...I love that one pic you have on your site in the "Adult" fanfic section.

I've just seen a couple of stills from the trailer, or teaser, as it's called--apparently photographs taken in the theater. Not surprisingly, they weren't very good. There was one closeup of Padme, a scene of Padme and Anakin kissing, a closeup of Yoda, views of clones, and a view of what looks like a hut on Tattooine. There were others, but either I didn't know what they were or they were too blurry to make out.

12. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I've seen the trailer. :D Hehehe... made the very first showing (even if just barely :p). My first question to the guy at the ticket counter was if the previews had started for Monsters, Inc. He gave me a odd smile and asked if I was wanting to see the Ep.2 trailer, and I said I was. He found out over his speaker phone they hadn't, so I rushed in. :D Just to forwarn everyone.... there are many previews before they get to the Star Wars one... but when the 20th Century logo hits the screen, it's on. ;) :)

Anyone interested in what I thought of the trailer, highlight to read. It only contains spoilers to the trailer, and not the movie, as I don't read up on that ahead of time. ;)

AOTC TRAILER #1 SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. While I was already looking forward to ep.2 (though I *know* it'll never beat the O.T. ;)), this really got me excited. :D The preview was far too short though. :( It's safe to say I'm really looking forward to the 2nd trailer before Harry Potter. :D Anyway... you see a bit of Obi-Wan (not enough though, IMHO :() and Anakin rushing off somewhere with their lightsabers blazing, a shot of Jedi (Yoda, Mace, possible students), a kiss between Anakin and Padme (hey, we all know what kisses in the 'second' episode can be like [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]) [face_love] [face_love] . It really makes me sad, knowing that Anakin will turn. :_| :_| :_| However, I can accept it, since it brings Han and Leia together. :D I was surprised that there was no dialouge at all, but perhaps they were.... teasing us. :p ;)

~*~Bria

13. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Thanks, Bria! You're the best!

I may just mosey on over to the theaters this weekend.

Yes, they were teasing you...it's called a "teaser" rather than a trailer, intending to whet our appetites for more.

(I'm answering one of Bria's comments in the spoiler section.)

14. sweetheart

Jan 19, 2001
    What movies is it showing in? I know it's in Monsters, Inc., anything else?

15. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I think that's it. Rats. No more until Harry Potter.

16. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Yeah, that's what I've heard (no more until HP)... but I'll probably be seeing it with my fanforce which will be even better than seeing this one by myself (I didn't care to pay evening prices to see it with my friends who are going tonight :p). :D

Oh, and for those interested, I thought Monsters, Inc was really cute. :) I know I'll be seeing it again with my mom (she wants to see the movie, I want to see the trailer again)... of course if I don't make it back this weekend, the trailer will have already been on tv, but it's better seeing it in a theater. ;)

[(I'm answering one of Bria's comments in the spoiler section.)]

?[face_plain] This is probably a dumb question... but what did you mean by that? The answering bit is what confused me... ?[face_plain]

~*~Bria

17. sweetheart

Jan 19, 2001
    Sorry, Bria I forgot to say thanks for sharing all that with us :) I don't know when I'm going to the movies next so it's nice to be prepared for what I'm going to see :)

18. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Oh...bad choice of words. I should have said "replying to" instead of "answering." I just wanted to say that I was replying to a comment you made in your spoiler section about being "teased," so that people who didn't read the spoiler section wouldn't be confused.

19. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Hey, no problem. ;) All in a day's work. :cool:

Anybody know where I can find some good *clear* pictures of Mark Hamill? As himself, not Luke? I've got some icons made for Harrison and Carrie, but I am surprised by the lack of colored, clear pictures of Mark I'm finding on the net....

~*~Bria

20. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    You might try here: Luke Online

There's a section for Mark pics.

21. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Yeah, I've been there, but thanks. Some of the pictures didn't load, others were b/w, Mark was looking down, or the color wasn't clear in Photoshop. Luckily the links page of Just Luke helped me find some MH pages and I came up with some pretty good pictures. :) Still, thanks for the link. ;)

If anyone wants to check out my Harrison/Carrie icons they can see them here: SW Icons

I'm not crazy about all of them, but I'd be interested in knowing what other ppl like and don't like about them. :)

~*~Bria

22. CorellianBlue

CorellianBlue Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2001
    Wow -- I don't log on for a night and I get swamped with posts to read.

First off, I have some emotions to express:
    [face_devil]
    [face_blush], and then
    :p

Now...onto SBS....

Yesterday I went into a bookstore, headed down to the SF/F aisle, sought out the SW section and turned around and walked back out again. No SBS -- but then again, I didn't expect it to be on the shelves in Oz yet. Just teasing myself. Trying to see if I will indeed shell out the ??$$ to purchase the sucker.

Hey -- those of you who are thinking of donating their copy: why not post it to me!
    No? Oh well....it was a thought....

;)

23. CorellianBlue

Feb 2, 2001
    Harking back to songs that make you think of the H/L relationship (apart from nearly every damn Sting song -- and I'm a big Sting fan):

We have an ad down here in Oz (I suspect it is an 'international' commercial, so some of you may know the one I am talking about) for Jaguar cars. And they use the Chris Isaak (sp?) song that goes like this:

What a wicked thing to do
    To make me dream of you.
    What a wicked thing to say
    To make me feel this way.

No, I, (I-I-I-I-I etc) don't want to fall in love.
    No, I, (I-I-I-I-I etc) don't want to fall in love,
    With you.

[face_love]
    <sigh> I remember when this song was released a few years ago. And now, I gotta find the rest of it because it just fits soooo well.

(edit to fix typo -- oops!)

24. CorellianBlue

Feb 2, 2001
    Wanna know what a married woman does to get her kicks on a Saturday night -- goes searching the Internet for lyrics from a song that reminds her of the non-existent relationship of two fictional characters. Very sad....

Don't know if it's written by Chris Isaak (correct spelling!) but let's attribute it to him.

"Wicked Game"

The world was on fire and no one could save me but you.
    It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
    I never dreamed that I'd meet somebody like you.
    I never dreamed that I'd love somebody like you.

I don't want to fall in love. (This world is only gonna break your heart)
    With you. With you. (This world is only gonna break your heart)

What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
    What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
    What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
    What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you and,

With you.

The world was on fire and no one could save me but you.
    It's strange what desire will make foolish people do.
    I never dreamed that I'd love somebody like you.
    I never dreamed that I'd loose somebody like you no,

With you. With you. (This world is only gonna break your heart)
    Nobody loves no one.

25. sweetheart

Jan 19, 2001
    Great songs CB.

I think I like SBS better the second time around, now that I capture the details better. So maybe I'll keep it :)

We can post little quotes here, just not long excerpts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.