main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Han and Leia's relationship in EVII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DV75, Feb 5, 2013.

1. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Oh, they'll still bicker occasionally, if my own parents are anything to go by...

But yes, if they're not still together I will be very sad.

iluvkoalas likes this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I guess it all depends on whether or not Leia is a Jedi, and whether or not Jedi marry.

3. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    If Luke rebuilds the Order - he may not even do that - then for sure he'll ditch the rule about Jedi not marrying. That's assuming he consciously ditches it - he may not even know it was a rule. He had to come from somewhere, after all. Not to mention, it was his father's attachment to him which turned him back from the Dark side.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    There's a whole entire thread about this very thing http://boards.theforce.net/threads/should-luke-be-single-married-divorced-or-a-widower.50011651/, and a lot of people disagree with you. However, I am not one of them.

5. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I purposely avoid threads that are essentially arguing over nothing since there's no evidence either way :p But I'm really not sure how you rebuild a new Jedi Order without rectifying the mistakes of the old one.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree, but some don't consider the old rules to be mistakes.

7. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    Ugh. That separation stuff was handled badly enough in the EU. I don't want to see it onscreen.

Carrie Fisher joked on some talk show that Han and Leia "fought and fought and then [she] killed him." Anyway...they can bicker like an old married couple. Like my aunt and uncle, in fact, who have been married about as long as Han/Leia will have been in Episode VII.

Darth_Pevra, leiamoody and Revanfan1 like this.
  8. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    They were never really 'separated' in the EU... Han just had a lot of manpain.

9. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    The publisher, et al called it a separation. And it stunk no matter what it was called.

10. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Oh I think they'll be together, and bickering like never before!

In the Falcon:

Leia: "When are you going to buy me a ring, we've been married for nearly 25 years?"
    Han: " I told you, as soon as I sell the Falcon!"
    Leia: "You'll never sell this piece of crap, even Lando won't take it back! It smells like a Wet Wookie!"
    Chewie: "Argggggggggg!"
    Leia: "No offense!"

:p

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, well, what if Chewie stays with Leia? [face_mischief]

Sarge likes this.
  12. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    I really hope they are together and have at least one child maybe 2 twins 1 boy 1 girl and I hope they are not boring and still banter cuz passion is still there after all this time

13. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I just want them to be HAPPY. They got the fuzzy end of the lollipop in the EU and it really, really made me angry.

Pfluegermeister and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I really hope they don't show them separated or divorced.

I know that such things are quite commonplace nowadays, but there's still absolutely no reason to promote it to young people and children...

Besides, I would imagine the majority of us fans would love much more to see Han and Leia together instead!

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  15. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Jedi Master star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    I imagine it like this: Leia is trained by Luke and progresses fast, but she wants to marry Han and have children as well. This presents them with a conundrum, Jedi celibacy or not? They decide to put the question off because it's a luxury they do not have, as they need Jedi to train. She takes on students and trains them. Luke trains her kids when they are ready. Her kids become Knights fairly young, and then take on students of their own. Leia has to make a choice between politics and the Jedi path, she chooses a middle path of staying on as a teacher of Younglings (no swashbuckling) and as a member of the rather small Jedi Council while Han pursues a political path.

Being a former General and war hero with the Rebel Alliance, and with Leia's connections and advice, he rises quickly to become a Senator from Corellia, and eventually Supreme Chancellor with Lando as a close political ally. Han still flies around in the Millennium Falcon when he must travel, but it's been refurbished quite a bit. The skills Han learned as a scoundrel and smuggler turn out to be quite applicable to politics, but Leia is the real "power behind the throne". Their relationship is not as volatile as before in TESB, but they still clash from time to time. I see them as being like a Bill and Hillary Clinton style power couple with a far from flawless marriage, but a deep bond. Divorce is out of the question. If Leia and Han die in the ST, I would hope they die together, preferably in the Millennium Falcon. Though I could see Leia as a widowed Jedi elder.

16. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I like a lot of those ideas, but really dislike the part about there being a "conundrum" about Jedi celibacy... for one thing, even George admitted (tho I don't know the source--but lots of people do reference his statement) that Jedi aren't necessarily 'celibate'. For another, that was the OLD Jedi Order... the one that grew too complacent, too dogmatic, and was blind to everything the Sith did around them. It's the Jedi Order that FAILED. That, plus the utter lack of "hey, no love/attachments/babies"-type talk in the OT implies Luke & Jedi he trains are free to pursue relationships, families, etc--obviously with warnings about the dark side, to be mindful of one's feelings, emotions, passions, that kinda stuff.

Even if George popped up and said tomorrow that "Oh, Ben or Yoda or their ghosts told Luke off-screen that Jedi shouldn't marry or have families", there's that remarkably easy out you mentioned of Luke & Leia needing more Jedi to train; one quick way to increase the list of potential Jedi is to have some kids, what with the Force running strong in their family.

...even if George made such an 'offscreen' statement, tho, the on-screen implications are more important; Yoda tells Luke the Force runs strong in his family, and to pass on what he's learned. That's tacit permission to keep that family line going via Luke and/or Leia each having kids, damn the Old Jedi Order rules.

Anyhoo... Han as politician... that's an angle I never considered.

I think Han & Leia, whatever their roles, will still be together, bickering & all. My in-laws bicker like crazy, but are still sweet on each other. I can see something similar happening with Han & Leia.

Revanfan1 and Master Blaster like this.
  17. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Jedi Master star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    I just wonder how much the idea that Luke will depart from the Old Order's ways of doing things regarding spouses and kids is EU generated dogma that may very well be discarded. The Jedi could have more safeguards in place to prevent them repeating many of their old mistakes and yet still be unmarried and childless. Though I know many feel that the celibacy was the root of the problems with the Jedi. To me, many of these people seem to just have a distaste for the idea of celibacy and have trouble understanding why the Jedi would see it as being necessary or why anyone would choose that for themselves.

The bickering would be in line with their characters as established, and it might be a disappointment if they didn't have at least some friction. But part of me thinks Leia's temperament would change as she grows in the ways of the Force, just as Luke's temperament changed. He became a lot less hotheaded and more centered and levelheaded.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    ESB could be said to be showing the danger of Luke's attachment to Han & Leia- he goes off- he loses an arm, and they have to rescue him. Admittedly they couldn't have escaped Bespin at all without Artoo.

19. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Why does it matter? Chances are they won't be the main characters in this story.

20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I would assume it matters to a lot of people because they are very beloved characters. Even as supporting characters -because you already have back story built in- you can do a little bit in the story that gives people a greater idea of what has gone on in their lives since.
    They can play a supporting role with the new characters and still be a major part of the story.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Exactly!

That's part of what makes Star Wars so special. Even the supporting characters are fully fleshed out and given plenty of attention. It makes the characters feel more real. I expect that to continue as was we move on into the ST.

22. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    They still need to be together and a new love arc needs to be with new characters. If they are not together it will be like a step back, just like Luke being an old hermit in hiding would be a step back. Our old characters need to have moved forward by the time we get to Episode VII.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, Luke needs to stop being the old hermit that he was in the last film...

KED12345 likes this.
  24. Sedrin Celis

Sedrin Celis Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2013
    The opening scene should be Han walking in on Leia and Lando

Then Lando declares that he has a "bad feeling about this"

Slash78 likes this.
  25. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I would love to see them together but under certain conditions.

I can imagine Leia bickering with Han, after he returns home late because he was doing some vintage clandestine racing with his pal Chewbacca (Of course he would be racing the falcon). And having a bit of a feud about feeling old, and wanting to re live his rogue-ish days when he was being chased by the empire and all that.

What would suck for me would be to see them as ROTJ Han, all mister responsible, a captain or an admiral, someone respectable. You can't have Han be a Lucas like character, it would be cool to see him conflicted in his old age, remembering the god ole days.

I can imagine a scenario of 30 years of peace in the galaxy, thousands of jedi trained and being trained. Han and Leia living a peaceful life with their children with Han feeling nostalgic and maybe even bored . . .and then have something happen where they have to show their true grit, probably passing the torch.