main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Han/Leia October Fanfic Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by HanLeiaFanficGuru, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanLeiaFanficGuru

HanLeiaFanficGuru Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2003

This fanfic challenge will run through the month of October with the following topic:

Write about the first time Han told Leia about his childhood, or the first time Leia found out about Han's childhood.

Although this thread is on the Saga board, you are by no means limited to writing this story during the Saga era. When you have completed your story, please post it to this thread.

Thank you so much to GreatOne for the suggestion.

2. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    I already had this story in my head when I made this suggestion... so here it is -

Set after ROTJ. Han and Leia have been married for four years.

Sith Lords and HoloShows

President-elect Leia Organa Solo's day had been extremely busy, and this was the first chance Leia had to actually sit down. Her feet throbbed and she slid her shoes off under her desk, shut her eyes and leaned back into the comfortable chair. Within the month, she would be taking over the Presidency from Mon Mothma, who had declined another term. With three year old twins and Anakin, still a baby at sixteen months, Leia had doubts about whether she should take on the enormous task of the Presidency.

Han, however, had been surprisingly supportive, even though he visibly cringed every time the HoloNews referred to him as the First Husband. "How many husbands do you plan on having after me?" he had jokingly asked his wife. "That depends on how suspicious people get between poisonings," Leia had replied, managing to keep her face serious.

The buzzer rang on her desk, and Leia reached over. "Yes?"

"Leia, it's me," Luke's voice came on the comm. "Can you turn on the Holonet?" His voice sounded odd.

"Sure, what frequency?"

"Seventy-two."

Leia pressed the button, and coded seventy-two into the console. Immediately a Holonet program that Leia had only seen one time shimmered into focus. It was a tabloid type show that featured obnoxious beings, usually screaming, swearing in dozens of languages, and throwing things at each other and the audience - The Herild Starlite Show. A hard looking, overweight woman with loud clothing sat next to the host. "Seventy-two?" Leia double checked with Luke. "Are you sure? This is nothing but a trashy talk show."

"Just listen, and call me back if you get a chance," Luke replied, his voice still sounding strange.

Leia sat back and listened. As the loud woman talked, Leia felt her body tense and her arms tingle.

"So," the tall male host was saying, "you grew up with our new First Husband, Han Solo?"

"Yes, we were both orphans on a freighter called Trader's Luck," she replied.

"Orphans? Who took care of you then?"

"The ship's Captain, a real Hutt's butt by the name of Shrike."

The audience shrieked at the description. Leia leaned forward and felt her heart start beating faster. Han was an extremely private person, and he had never been able to talk about his childhood to her. To have his past aired for the entire galaxy to hear was simply going to tear him up. And Leia knew the only reason this woman was on this terrible show, telling everyone about Han Solo, was because he was married President Leia Organa Solo.

"We were all forced to beg on the streets when we were little, to raise money for Garris Shrike," she went on. "And as soon as we got a little older, we were taught how to pickpocket tourists, and steal from merchants."

"That's interesting. We all knew Solo had a colorful past. I guess his life of crime started at an early age," the host intoned, trying to be somber although his face betrayed his glee at nabbing this interview. "How did this Shirke person end up with orphans, Madam Delcie?"

"He found us wandering on the streets," Delcie replied. "Most of us were starving when he stole us, so we thought things were going to get better with Shrike. Except it didn't"

"No?"

"Nah, that creep beat up on us orphans all the time, when we didn't make him enough credits during the day, or the ones that had the spunk to fight back. Believe me, Solo was always getting beat up for having a sassy mouth on him."

Leia watched the rest of the holoshow, numb. She had always suspected her husband's childhood had been bad, but to find out he was continually abused, both physically and mentally, as a child shocked her. Watching the interview had made Leia realize why her husband had built so many walls around his heart, and why it had taken him so long to lower those barriers.

3. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    Great Fic!
    I do have to say: I envy your muse! You come up witha fic like every day!! :D
    awsome job

DM

4. A-Windsor

A-Windsor Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    :) awesome job!!!!!! That a wonderfully put together little story!!!

A. Windsor

5. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Good choice of a time period for your story. I would love to see an official book written about how Han handled being married to the Chief of State. Until then, there are nice little fanfics like this one. Wonderful Han/Leia interaction. :)

6. GreatOne

May 22, 2003
    Thanks DarthMasan, A-Windsor, and Solo_Fan! I appreciate the nice comments!

7. Kab730

Kab730 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2001
    Well Done-Great One!

8. starwarsfan68

starwarsfan68 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2003
    Nice job Great One!!!!

9. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    GreatOne, that story was very, very sweet and I loved it! [face_love]

How many husbands do you plan on having after me?" he had jokingly asked his wife. "That depends on how suspicious people get between poisonings," Leia had replied, managing to keep her face serious.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Han Solo as the First Husband. Priceless! [face_laugh]

The ship's Captain, a real Hutt's butt by the name of Shrike."

What a description that was...Hahahahaha! [face_laugh]

The fact that he not only survived his childhood, but turned into a caring man, with a sense of humor, made the Princess proud.

It shows how Han used his bad childhood to ensure that he became a wonderful man...

:(

:_| Beautiful! :_|

"Hey, we've faced two Death Stars, bounty hunters, Sith Lords, and thousands of Stormtroopers. What's a few reporters?"

"Are you serious?"

"You're right...The reporters are worse."

Can't beat the H/L sarcasm team can you? ;) Brilliant exchange there! :cool:

I loved the ending! [face_love] :_| [face_love]

True love does conquer all! :D Delcie's comments have actually strengthened the couple!

Beautiful, GreatOne! Simply beautiful! [face_love]

10. jedi-lelila

jedi-lelila Jedi Master star 3

Jun 14, 2003
    Wooo. Awesome fic GreatOne.

11. cassandane

cassandane Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2003
    *shakes head* There's a Jerry Springer type program in every corner of the universe :)

Nice job GreatOne!

Loved the First Husband and the reporters being worse than Sith Lords banter and that Han and Leia's resolve is stonger than ever.

12. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    Great fic!

Hutt's butt...LOL!

13. GreatOne

May 22, 2003
    Thanks for the nice reviews, Kab730, starwarsfan68, Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, jedi-lelia, cassandane, and Sock_of_Darth_Vader :D - So NO ONE else can think of a story to go along with this theme? I guess my suggestion was a pretty lame one... :eek:

14. Rhune

Rhune Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2003
    I think it was a great suggestion GreatOne. I'm working on it and winding up with a bit of a variation.

:)

And good job!

15. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Awwwww! Lovely little piece of work, Great One. :D

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002 [/b

16. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Thanks to your inspiring positive Han/Leia stories, GreatOne, I have accepted the challenge, and this is what I came up with. Hope you like it.

Setting: Millenium Falcon, in hyperspace, shortly after Bespin

Lando found Leia sitting at the game table in the main hold of the Falcon. She had her head down on her hands, and Lando could not tell if she was tired, depressed, or just thinking. He figured she had a right to be all three.

?Are you okay, Princess?? asked Lando.

?Yes,? replied Leia, ?I?m just a little weary is all.? Leia was more than weary, but she wasn?t comfortable enough yet with Lando to tell him more.

For Lando?s part, he wasn?t exactly sure how one talked to a princess, much less Han?s apparently serious girlfriend. He?d only known his friend to be in love one time before this, and that woman, Bria Tharen, had broken Han?s heart and double-crossed him. Lando had heard Leia?s vow of love to Han in the carbon chamber on Bespin, and he had also heard his friend?s reply. He only hoped that Leia was not underwhelmed by Han?s reply. Lando understood his friend?s reluctance to utter back those three precious words, but perhaps the Princess did not. After all, he knew Han rarely mentioned his past to anyone, Chewie included. Perhaps, Lando could still be of some help to his carbonite-encased friend.

?We?ll get him back, Princess,? stated Lando. ?Chewie and I intend to track down the bounty hunter, and when we do, we?ll let Luke and you know, if you want to help with the rescue.?

?I?m sure Luke will want to, once his hand is worked on and he has healed,? replied Leia. ?I don?t know exactly what happened to him on Bespin, but once he finds out what happened to Han, I?m sure he?ll want to help with his rescue.?

?What about you?? Lando felt he had to ask it, at least so he could get some idea of the depth of her feelings for Han. Perhaps the ?I love you? had merely been an appeasement to a man facing his potential death.

?I would love to help with Han?s rescue, Lando, but I guess it will depend on what the Rebellion?s brass has in store for me when I return.?

Lando heard the uncertainty in Leia?s reply, and guessed correctly that the Princess was torn between her strong feelings for Han and her commitment to the Rebellion. Lando wondered amusingly at his friend?s ability to attract women whose main cause was not the smuggler himself. Han had gotten burned once before by one of these types, and Lando wondered why he would put himself in the same situation again. There had to be something different about this one. Lando would just have to keep her talking, and to do that, Lando decided to risk incurring the future wrath of his friend.

?Han loves you, Princess, even if he didn?t say it in such words. I?m not sure if you have noticed, but he?s a pretty private guy. Doesn?t like to talk much about himself?

?You don?t say,? replied Leia, with a slight laugh to her voice.

Lando felt some small elation that he had elicited a slight smile from the Princess. ?I do say, and I feel it is in Han?s best interest that I tell you a little about his past in order to clear up any misunderstandings you might have about his understated intentions.?

Leia felt a little unsure about the truth of Lando?s words, but her gut feeling was that he was being sincere to her. Perhaps she should listen to what he had to say. ?I would appreciate that Lando, because I would like to know why you are so sure Han loves me back.?

Lando decided to get straight to the heart of Han?s love problems. ?About 13 years ago, when Han was about 19, he met a girl named Bria Tharen. She was a slave on Ylesia, and Han helped her escape. They fell in love, but Bria left him when she couldn?t seem to get over her spice addiction. She left with some excuse that she had to get over it alone. Han was crushed. He spent the next ten years going in and out of relationships, acquiring the label of ladie?s man and scoundrel. Then, ten years later, th

17. cassandane

cassandane Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2003
    I enjoyed your fic, Solo_Fan! I liked that Lando was able to help Leia.

I always get excited over fics that are set directly after Bespin. There's so much going on. Everyone is hurting and so lost...

Hmmmm. Challenge anyone? (Of course, you're already a step ahead of the game, Solo_Fan) ;)

Okay, off to work on my October entry.

18. starwarsfan68

starwarsfan68 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2003
    I really like it Greatone!!!! Nice job!!!

19. GreatOne

May 22, 2003
    That was wonderful Solo_Fan! I loved it! The last part where Bria was finally going to do something good for Han was a great line!

20. A-Windsor

A-Windsor Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    i loved it!!!! Too cute! You go Lando!

A. Windsor

21. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Wonderful fics, GreatOne and Solo_Fan! They were both so different, and I very much enjoyed reading them! :)

22. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Well, Han Solo was my first love, so nothing concerning him could be considered lame, IMO.
    Here's my contribution to the challenge...

---------

Revelation

There was celebration in the air on the forest moon of Endor. The rhythmic drums of primitive Ewok music carried through the glade, echoing off the trees. Wild beast was roasting over open fires, mugs of ale were being passed around and Luke Skywalker was nowhere to be found.

Leia Organa had been searching for her brother, her newly discovered brother, for what felt like an hour. He seemed to be nowhere among the ecstatic sea of bodies. She looked around again, seeing friends she?d known for years, missing the ones absent from the merriment. Victory was theirs, but the price had been high. So many had fallen in the struggle against the Imperials ? they were even now being remembered in the fond toasts of their friends and family. Odd, Leia thought. Luke had struggled more than anyone to see the Empire fall. He?d lost countless friends over the years. She expected to see him raising his mug to the likes of Biggs and Dak. Leia couldn?t fathom his absence from the festivities.

She couldn?t shake the certainty that something was wrong. Somewhere on this chunk of rock Luke was hurting and she had no idea where to look to find him. There were so many unanswered questions, about Darth Vader, the Emperor and what had happened on the second Death Star.

She felt herself being enveloped from behind in a warm, one-armed hug. A warm, very furry hug. A rough woofing sounded far above her head.

?Hi Chewie.? She turned around as the big wookie released her, noting the half gnawed haunch of some herbivore in his other paw. ?I see you?re enjoying the celebration.?

He huffed an affirmative before stringing a few wookie syllables together. Apparently Han had distanced himself somewhat from the party and the big furball was concerned. He seemed to think Leia might be the solution to his pal?s sudden attack of melancholy. He pointed to a dark and distant grove of trees.

?Thanks, I was just going to look for him. I can?t find Luke anywhere. Maybe Han?s got an idea or two where to look.? Chewie growled a response that sounded doubtful.

?Ah well. It couldn?t hurt to check anyway.? She sighed, snatching a full mug of corellian ale off a nearby stump before setting off in the direction the wookie had indicated.

It was a short and pleasant walk in the light of the exploding fireworks. The night sky flashed blue and red and green until she reached the small thicket of trees Chewie had indicated. Sure enough, Han was there, perched on a huge log. He really did look dejected, elbows on his knees, his cheek resting on one hand.

?Wow. The biggest celebration in a decade and Luke is nowhere to be found. Then I find you here, sitting all alone, looking like you just lost your best friend?? She wandered closer, putting a hand on his arm.

He raised his eyes to hers and she was startled to see genuine pain reflected from their mossy depths.

?What is it?? Leia asked softly.

Han swallowed with effort, blinking away the hurt so visible in his eyes. ?Nothing, really.?

?Hey, it?s me you?re talking to, not some off-world bartender. After all these years I consider myself something of an expert on Han Solo?s moods.? She held out the mug she?d been carrying. ?I brought you something.?

Han?s eyes sparked a little at the foaming cup. ?Did I ever tell you how amazing you are?? He took the cup from her, sipping it slowly.

?I think maybe you did, once, a very long time ago.? She smiled gently and hopped up next to him on the log. ?Now, tell me what?s got you so sad.?

?Really, Leia, it?s nothing.? He protested again, but the words lacked sincerity.

?I?m sure it is, but let me be the judge.? She put a small hand on his arm. ?You were there for me, Han, after Luke left to face Vader. Please let me be here for you the same way.?

She could tell he still wasn?t sure. Then he sighed and resistance

23. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    cute fics!!!
    Its the first time Ive seen Lando like that! great Fic!!!

Poor Han, being a 10 year old and loosing his brother!! poor thing!!
    great job with the fic

DM

24. GreatOne

May 22, 2003
    Reihla - That was so sad and well written! Great story!

25. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Thanks GreatOne :) I enjoyed your story too. Han would truly have hated the whole PR storm surrounding political life. Interesting premise, them digging up dirt from his past. Nice characterization too.

Too sad, DM? I tried to pull it up there at the end. I guess I always figured Han had a tough childhood. Hard to make that happy. I don't dedicate my fics often, but this one is for my husband, who lost his brother too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.