main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han Solo Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by kay_dee, Aug 22, 2005.

1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I can't comment on the gloves (they do look similar to ANH but have not studied them closely), but I have my own set of photos from CIII and it was the bib opening on the front. Now, I've never taken a close look at Han's Ceremonial ANH shirt (it is different than the open v neck style worn in the rest of the film), so there is a possibliity that has a bib front to it as well.

Perhaps we have contacted the same camera shop. You'd think they'd at least give a courtesy email. (My husband said 'maybe they are on vacation'. LOL!)

- Kay Dee

2. darthdefyitall

darthdefyitall Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    yeah, im most likely wrong about the shirt or we are talking about different pics. I'm not sure where the ones I saw were from but I remember the manequin having a shirt similar to ANH on. But I'm probably wrong as I don't even remember where I saw the pics.

3. darthdefyitall

Jul 15, 2005
    my stripes shipped. but it had J Kerezman's as being in Las Vegas. though I thought their website sadi they were north of Holywood. Whatever. They shipped.

4. anifan

anifan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    good luck with the costume

5. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Talk about fast! I just ordered the 15.95 belt with the silver buckle two days ago and it arrived today! It's pretty nice! no beveled edge. One more piece of the costume I can check off! Now I just need the jacket, pants, and shirt and holster! ;-) Though I might do "captured" Han Solo and not do the blaster/holster. :) I just can't afford a real blaster right now and I can't afford to pay $300 for a holster. I might try and make one myself. We'll see.

6. Lord_Dantes

Lord_Dantes Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    kay_dee-

I have the "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones- The best of the Lucasfilm Archives" book, and on page 21 it has a picture of the belt along with a testshot of Ford in costume. The buckle pictured on the belts are silver- there are 2 different types pictured. One is a flattened hexagon, and the other is also hexagonal, but more triangular in shape.

7. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Lord Dantes Thanks for the info - I think you are looking at the holster belt buckle. The buckle I have in question is the one on the narrow black (or dark brown) belt that actually holds up his pants. Can you tell what color that little bar buckle is?

- Kay Dee

8. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Hey Maggie, I thought the buckle on the belt you ordered was golden in color? It looked gold in the photo, but the descritions says 'Nickle' which was odd to me.

I'm still waiting on my belt ;) I should go check the mail actually!

Yes, the Holster and Blaster are expensive :( I think there are resin kits for blasters, but my husband was stressing out about having to do all his accessories plus the blaster so his attitude just turned to 'spend the 300 dollars on a blaster so this can be low stress'.

- Kay Dee

9. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Yeah - that's weird, isn't it! The buckle is definitely silver - or "nickel".

10. darthdefyitall

Jul 15, 2005
    Yeah, I wondered that too. So I checked all the other pics on that site and they all seem to run on the yellow side. like the camera they used didn't have the white balance set.

you don't need to spend 300 on a blaster replica. I have seen guys on eBay selling resin pieces to go onto plastic airsoft replica Mausers. And there's alway the Kenner/Hasbro toys with a paint job. They might not be perfect but they make noise which people always get a kick out of.

11. Lord_Dantes

Lord_Dantes Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    Every picture I have looked at is inconclusive, even the ones I took at the Magic of Myth exhibit when it was up here in Minneapolis a few years ago. In all those pictures it looks black, but that could be from the lack of lighting. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

12. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Ah, I didn't know there were resin conversion parts available (had only seen machined metal ones). I'll research that option. I know a resin replica would be cheaper - and I have not ordered the metal gun with metal conversion parts just yet because I thought I'd run the idea of a resin blaster (or the resin conversion kit!) by my husband one more time. He just wasn't in the mood for having to add the parts on himself. I know he wouldn't want a Hasbro Toy. ;) He's into shooting sporting clays so he leans towards having his blaster look & feel real.

- Kay Dee

13. darthdefyitall

Jul 15, 2005
    Yeah, so am I. I got a metal replica from Blast-tech and there's nothing like the weight of it in your hand. Though I am in a different position because the ESB blaster is always cheaper than the ANH due to less added on parts.

14. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I got my AMFO belt today, but I think it is a bit too wide at nearly 1 & 3/4". I'm returning it and I'll try the belt Maggie got. Hopefully it is a bit narrower.

- Kay Dee

15. anifan

anifan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    hey wasnt someone in here pregnet

16. darthdefyitall

Jul 15, 2005
    the width matters? wow. you are getting specific.

17. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Let's put it this way, the only things that matter are what matters to the person making or wearing the costume :) I personally thought the AMFO belt looked a little wide compared to all the photos I've seen. Just my preference. (I also want to make sure this actually fits through the belt loops!) Since they only have a 10 day return policy and I won't have the pants for another month I figured I'd better return it since it might not fit the pants. Besides, they told me Medium fit 32 and it is a 34-36 I had to return it anyway.

- Kay Dee

18. darthdefyitall

Jul 15, 2005
    yeah i understand completely, i was just joking around. it's cool to see people get as detail oriented as I try to be (except when it comes to silver belt buckles, dammit!) i put my belt on with some brown slacks over the weekend to try and get a sense of how the whole costume was coming together and to try on my riding boots. the AMFO belt fit fine through standard belt loops. just to let you know.

19. darthdefyitall

Jul 15, 2005
    to dig this thread back up.

I got my MP holster today. and it didn't really fit. I am confused as to whether the measurements I gave were wrong. But I was able to "tweak" it into fitting they way I wanted. So it's all good.

Now on to the blood stripes...

20. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm glad to hear it was tweakable. I think there are snaps so you can adjust the fit? Still haven't gotten mine yet (although there is a package waiting for me at the post office).

I got Some Han Solo Pants the other week... but they are about 1 size too small and creep up his butt!!! I need to work on seeing if I can let them out at all this weekend. If not, I'll have to contact the place I ordered them from to see what we can do.

By the way, I checked the Han ROTJ belt at FIDM and it sort of looked like a tarnished silver to me. I took some pics of the back of the pants but my camera was on the totally wrong setting by mistake. Need a do over next time I go. But it is clear that the 3 holes in the belt go all the way around (like the belts we ordered). The brown ROTJ pants actually looked a heck of a lot like polyester - not twill. That doesn't necessarily apply to the ANH pants, but I thought was interesting.

- Kay Dee

21. darthdefyitall

Jul 15, 2005
    that is cool to hear. about the buckle and the pants. my pants are actually polyester dress pants from the 70's. Had them altered and let out recently and now I need to get the J Kerezman patches sewn on.

I'll take some pics as well when I head down to FIDM in a few weeks. It's nice being in Burbank so I'm able to cruise down whenever. I'm going to try and borrow my friend's Sony which has a better lens than my own. Maybe bring my Canon and shoot some actual film on 1600 or 3200 ASA. Maybe I'll just throw down for a digital SLR[face_shame_on_you]

yeah, MP's holster's have snaps to adjust. I adjusted it to the loosest setting and it was still mighty tight and I had to wear it very high. Not down on my hips like Han did. I ended up having to drill out the second-to-last set of male snaps and replace them with female snaps so I could get another inch or more out of it. Not a big deal as I have a lot of experience with snap setting in leather.

I'm more confused as to why they don't fit even on the loosest setting. MP said he only needed my pants size (32 waist) and that the middle setting would fit that. Maybe the loosest setting won't fit my hips? Maybe I should have given a couple inches of leeway? I thought he would have known all that since he has been doing these for a while.

But besides the fitment issues, the holster is very nice. The quality and craftmanship are great. My Blast-tech DL-44 fits in great, as do my Cexports tools. So I do recomend Matt to anyone needing a holster. just maybe take the measurement of the part of your waist you plan on wearing the holster instead of your pants size.

22. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh wow, your pant size is same as my husband's (he's a 31-32 depending). I also gave MP his measurement a few inches below his waist (something like 33.5 inches). I hope it fits, but if not I have snap kits - I'd just rather not have the extra snaps showing but what can you do?

I need to remember to go to the PO tomorrow!

- kay dee

23. darthdefyitall

Jul 15, 2005
    He should be fine. I didn't do that. I think that's why mine doesn't fit. Also, I used my jeans size. Come to think of it, I wear relaxed jeans usually. I'm guessing my fitted dress pants size maybe me larger.

24. Karma

Karma Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2000
    Does Han's vest have a 'square' collar or a rounded collar? I thought it was squarish, but the Unleashed Han SOlo figure has a rounded collar.

25. MacGyver9762

MacGyver9762 Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    It's sort of squarish. The best way I can describe it is that the neck line of the vest makes nearly a perfect semi circle were you to place the two sides of the vest together flsuh (like if you ziped a jacket all the way to the collar) and then the vest dividing line is straight down the center of the circle, so on each side it's a quarter circle perpendicular to a straight line when laid down flat with the front facing up. Hope that makes any sense and helps.

Update: This site has some really great Han reference photos. There's one pic about four rows down in the first collumn that shows his collar pretty close up so you can get an idea of what I mean. http://www.sith.nl/multimedia/characters/han_solo/anh/index.php