main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han Solo is what Anakin might have been

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by jedi_crewe, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_crewe

jedi_crewe Jedi Master

Jul 31, 2002
    I've been pondering this for a while now, but more so since ROTS hit the big screen. I've always thought that Luke was the kind of Jedi Anakin would have been if he'd been trained by Yoda rather than OB1, but it's also interesting to think what might have happened to Anakin if Qui-Gon and the Jedi never discovered him, and that's when my thoughts turned to Han Solo.

Han and Anakin have a lot in common, and not just romancing senators and royalty! They both befriend aliens who most humans in the galaxy might shun as primitives (for Chewbacca read Jar Jar). They are both amazing pilots with a devil may care attitude when they're behind the wheel. They both stay loyal to their friends even when they've let them down (for Lando read OB1). Also they both get involved in major galactic events without ever really wanting to (for the Rebellion read the fall of the Republic). They both end up on the wrong side of the tracks with a bad menator (for Jabba read Palpatine), but they are good at heart and come through for the good guys when it really matters.

You could also argue that they were both redeemed by Luke, as both Han and Anakin turn back to the good side to save Luke from certain death on the Death Star. Oh, and they both father Jedi twins but that's bringing the EU into play, and I know not everyone is keen on the old EU.

2. JEDY

JEDY Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2005
    I get what you're saying, Anakin COULD have been likeHan if he WASN'T seen out by Qui-Gon. Then again, what about him and his mom's slavery, they would probably stay their for a WHILE(even if bought or traded). Anakain would not be a smuggler, I don't think. His overall characteristics could have been like Han's though .

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    "if he'd been trained by Yoda rather than OB1,"
    Yoda couldn't handle him anymore than Obi-Wan. In fact it would probably be a lot worse if Yoda had trained him. The Jedi were incapable of correctly training him, all of them would've failed. It was their nature, their destiny to fail. They have flaws and won't admit it, they're in denial in a sense.

Anyway onto topic.
    I agree that both a rebellions and fantastic pilots.
    One interesting thing is a line connection.
    "This is where the fun begins"-Anakin ROTS Space Battle
    "Here is where the fun begins"-Han ANH in Space. The lines are something like that though not exact. I get confused over the first word, but you get the point.

Though there is a major difference.
    Han is only concerned about himself and his own self interest, greed and the need for money.

Anakin is the opposite. He is only concerned with helping other people. "He gives without any thought of reward"-Shimi TPM.

-Seldon

4. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Wow, interesting observation.

Han obviously is an unconscious force-user--he's instictual, trusts his feelings, and is able to do incredible feats by feeling and not thinking. Its almost strange why he wasnt detected by the Jedi in the final days of the Republic and signed up as a padawan--my guess is he was exactly like Anakin in that he was born outside of the centre of the Republic in the outter rim and thus avoided detection (I'm sure EU has a similar story). Interesting to wonder how different he would have been if he had been born on coruscant. Heck, he would have been just the right age to be taken as a padawan learner by Anakin--now THATS an interesting what-if!

5. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    He may have some Force ablity, but probably not enough to be recruited by the Jedi Order. He also has confidence, and experience, among other things which allow him great skill and talent.

Edit: This forum doesn't allow what-if type threads. In the interest of keeping it open, I suggest we consider the Anakin and Han Solo characters, rather then dwell on a What If?

Thanks

-Seldon

6. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Young Anakin is

AotC/RotS Anakin is incredibly selfish, it's basically his downfall; selfishness/greed/fear

RotJ Han is what Anakin was supposed to be, RotJ Han is selfless and has a healthy relationship with Leia (no attachment); he's willing to let go of her if she's in love with Luke. RotS Anakin isn't willing to let go of anything, his desire is to become so powerful that he can cheat Padmes death; that's the ultimate form of greed.

Their journeys in the two trilogies are quite reversed.

Han: Selfish, greedy scoundrel ==== > Selfless, loving friend
    Anakin: Selfless, loving boy ==== > Selfish, greedy man === > Selfless, loving old man/ghost :p

- O_F

7. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    Good observation O-F.
    An interesting mirror image in their character arcs. That is rather interesting.
    To compare the journey of Anakin from Menace to Sith, and Han from Hope to Jedi.

-Seldon

8. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I also found similarites between Han and Anakin. Which is why I'm perplexed as to why people criticize the PT by saying that it lacked a "Han Solo" character.

9. MickyJedi

MickyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    Even if Han and Anakin may be similar characters - I think so - , in the OT Han has the function of outsider: I think that when Lucas had to introduce the Force theme, he needed someone sceptical who looked at the Force religion with irony, or the story wouldn't be balanced.
    While Anakin in the PT has the opposite function: he makes us have a full immertion in the Force affair.

Hi, I'm happy to be here! @};-

10. MickyJedi

MickyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    Wanted to say "Happy to be in this forum": I joined the Jedi Council Forums recently. :)

Now excuse me and let's go on with the thread.

11. MyMomIsAnEwok

MyMomIsAnEwok Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2005
    What.?????Making out with his daughter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.