main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Han Solo origin movie in the works?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by fistofan1, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    That's a good plan, and a lot of the nay-sayers should do the same. That being said - how can you be sure you won't like the new films, this early in the game? Seems like you've made your decision already.

2. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Wait! If this Han Solo spin-off focus on a young Solo that is a young adult it may be that the Han Solo trilogy which happen some times before ANH could be unsullied. I think there is still hope.

But I fear they might feature Chewbacca there as well with his first encounter with Solo which would then destroy all possibilites of canonic ''survival'' for the Solo trilogy.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That is true. Unless they're planning on recasting, they're gonna have to use a much younger Solo.

4. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm on the fence about this, personally. If Disney chooses to focus on obscure or original characters for their spin-off movies, then this could be great, and I would actually be rather glad to see them. If this is just going to turn into "Boba Fett: the New New New New Origin Story" or "Han Solo: Because He's Totally a Character Who has Never Been Expanded Upon Before", then I would see it as a waste of my time.

Note that Disney/LFL hasn't actually said that this will be a Han movie, so I suggest that we not lose our heads just yet.

instantdeath likes this.
  5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Here you go!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. family_business

family_business Jedi Knight

Jun 22, 2006
    There's already a Han Solo origins trilogy. I HATE this news.

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Anyway else always wondered why there are X-Wings on the cover of Hutt Gambit? :confused:

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Ewan was just on Kimmel and he hadn't heard the rumor about Han and Boba films.

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I refuse to believe anything unless it comes straight from the horse's mouth... err, neck... err, whatever it is these days.

10. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I'm torn... on the one hand I'd hate to see the HST (inevitably) overwritten by a new Han origin story (come on, apart from early childhood it really doesn't leave too many gaps), and however awesome and universally respected the Daley books may be, they're neither an origin story nor exactly 21st-century blockbuster material...
    ...but on the other hand the first thing that came to mind when I read this was Nar Shaddaa on the big screen?!?!? =P~

And commercially I could totally see them doing this.

11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Just to play devils advocate, are people going to be that sad to see the back of Han's Ex-junkie girlfriend Bria Tharen [face_thinking]

TBH I think it's a bad idea anyway, leaving aside the EU, no one want's to see whiney kid, Han and anything older is gonna be compared with Harrison Ford and just won't work.

12. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    besides... I thought there already is a young Han Solo pre-Chewie movie set on Nar Saddah dealing with Human Replica droids and Black Sun... this one:

[​IMG]

13. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Yeah, The endless rumors about Prequels throughout the '90's got tiresome, so I stopped waiting. It got to the point where if someone said, "It sounds like something really is happening now," I would chew them out with: "When I see an actual trailer for a new movie, with new footage and new special effects, then I'll finally believe they're serious about enough about making a new SW movie."

As for a Han Solo movie versus the Han Solo books, I'm more dismayed by seeing so many fans dismayed. I read and loved Crispin's HST, still do, still will. I'm not going to demote the books or the movie. To me, this is like watching SW become the new King Arthur, Merlin and Camelot. If the new movie is good enough, it will rest side by side with the books as equal yet totally different takes on Han's origin story (if they contradict one another). Just the same as Episode VII will sit along side Heir to the Empire and other books as two totally different but no less relevant continuations of SW after RotJ. We don't have to take seriously the notion that some people try to sell us that the books will no longer matter! I read them and enjoyed them, so in some sense they did happen, I experienced them. They are in my heart and mind, and if the new movies win me over the same way, neither the movies or the books are diminished for that. It doesn't have to be an EU vs. Disney SW dichotomy, that's just another arbitrary Us vs. Them-type construct.

The proliferation of alternative versions of the story is a step towards keeping SW around the way King Arthur and Merlin have stayed with us for a long time.

14. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    the point though is... how open are the officials about it? for now the Maker claimed EU and Movies as separate whereas his underlings said all is one big continuity. They need to be clear and open about it.. not tell fans both ways to appease them and leave them wondering what is true now. Not tell fans one thing and the producers of shows and movies another. and that so far was bad policy by LFL and officials which created all these problems. it is less fans being adabtable or not. Fans rely on what they say and if they do not keep their words or stick to their decisions, then it sucks. no matter how good new stuff is, and it usually always is superb, even if different.

EUdiscoverer1136 and Zorrixor like this.
  15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That's where the friction arises, yeah.

Back in the days of oral storytelling, folk tales did indeed get retold in countless ways, with even the brothers Grimm writing more than one take on their fairy tales as contemporary attitudes towards children's literature moved toward romantic constructions of childhood. But like you say, there was no "Essential Chronology", no "canon levels" or anything else like that: people knew how things worked, readers knew they had as much role in the construction of meaning as writers, and textual purity was secondary to the individual performance of every storytelling experience. If you go to a performance of Peter Pan, you know it won't be exactly the same, because even Barrie himself never performed it exactly the same way and constantly revised it.

Which is why I fully agree with you that if they want to move away from George Lucas's insistence on his textual primacy and how Han absolutely did not, did not shoot first, end of, period, then they need to recognise that themselves as well, and embrace the idea of Star Wars as myth, and stop trying to have their cake and eat it by both maintaining an official canon and simultaneously telling people to just pick and choose what they want, as that's always been the difference between Lucas and someone like J.M. Barrie, as Barrie never insisted his first or second or third versions of Peter Pan were the "official" one in the way Lucas has always dismissed his earlier drafts so much they cease circulation entirely like they never happened (see the lack of of a DVD release of the original theatrical editions).

So if LFL want to start treating Star Wars as myth, they should re-release the original edition and no longer insist on either being the "official" story. It would also mean they'd probably get a lot less hate mail from people like Zeta1127 if there was no "official" chronology of the Clone Wars and fans were consequently no longer split into two warring camps over "what happened" but were then officially left to just make their own minds up, as while it's simple to just tell people "nothing's stopping you", the reality is that people never treat it that way and will still argue over how "G-Canon is superior to C-Canon", as the recent thread about whether the EU is fan fiction demonstrates.

Honestly, this is where I've always felt they shot themselves in the foot by ever revealing how they internally prioritise particular tales, as there'd probably have been a lot less arguments had they never said anything about canon levels and just treated people as adults all along.

Because I don't care what George Lucas wants to think, Darth Vader did not scream "NOO!" on the Death Star. [face_not_talking]

16. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    LoL Love this comment. :)

They shoulda done a retake.

OK, Darth... once more, with feeling. Think:
    [​IMG]

Zeta1127 and Zorrixor like this.
  17. Zane the Reaper

Nov 5, 2012
    Havac LOVE those original Brian Daley covers.

18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It's all canon until it gets in the way of their making more money through new movies. Then it's not canon.

19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The thing is, these movies could easily fit into canon without stepping on anyone's toes... there are some large blank spots in the Han Solo Trilogy. Will they go through the trouble, though? Probably not.

EUdiscoverer1136 likes this.
  20. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    This is why I'm so glad I love KOTOR so much. Until an 'early Jedi movie set before 4000 years ANH' is announced and there's no sign of the Ebon Hawk or Rohlan Dyre.

21. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I don't know why people are getting so pissy this early. There are only a few books covering Han duing this time frame. There is a lot of story there that can be told without contridicting anything. I'm not saying it won't...I'm just saying its too early to be that upset over anything.

If all else fails, ya know, don't watch it :D

Zane the Reaper likes this.
  22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Totally. They could actually start with Han in the Imperial Navy and show how he meets and rescues Chewie from slavery. Though it's been touched on in the EU, it's not on page, so to speak. Gawd, I'd love to see that.

So, that's probably not what's going to happen...:_|

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I"m told that A. C. Crispin was under explicit orders not to show that scene, from Lucasfilm- with the strong hint that they were planning on doing something with it, later.

Hopefully, it's "later" now.

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

"don't watch it" is a bad advice since you can't judge it without watching it and then they already got your money! except you use online piracy to view it... but that is illegal and gets you in more trouble

25. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Han/Bria = OTP

Bring on the Han Solo Trilogy by AC Crispin!