main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han Solos Death...could it have happend?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SpiKeZKL, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpiKeZKL

SpiKeZKL Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2003
    As Some fans of Star Wars and Harrison Ford they now that He wanted Han Solo To die in ROTJ. How Do you think it would have tuned out? wuld it have been careless? or Brave?

2. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I think it would have been lame, because Harrison Ford said he thought Han should have been encased forever in the carbonite and never gotten out. So, that's not really killing him, since Han is still alive, just in "perfect hibernation." You would think he'd have wanted Han to go out in a blaze of glory or something.

As for me personally, I think any death of Han would have sucked. Nothing I hate more than sitting through something, only to see the hero (or one of them) die just to "make things more realistic." (Which is why I never read VECTOR PRIME.)

3. SpiKeZKL

SpiKeZKL Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2003
    It would be an interesting alternitive ending to ROTJ and i would watch it. but then you couldn't read all theawesonme books about his kids and stuff for instance Tattoine Ghoast *which i recomend to every star wars junkie but not so much the little youngins*

*good alt. endin for Solo's death*

The Falcon Blows up Han is with Chewie, Leia is devistated and never finds out luke s her bro.

*2cd alt ending no death*

Han is forever incased in his carboinite prison. neve to be relesed *untill later in a book or something*

4. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Why would he have wanted Han to "die" that way?:confused: He would have had no part in the movie at all.

5. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Two reasons that I've heard of, from Ford himself :

1). He thought it'd add a dramatic touch to ROTJ.
    2). He felt that he was getting typecast as Solo, and wanted out of ROTJ.

6. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    Han's death would have been terrible.. i would have been so mad if he had died.. i like the saga the way it is.. but if he had to die i would want it to be like.. him sacraficing himself so the others could live.. u know what i mean? something truly heroic

7. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    While Ford wanted Han to die, Lawrence Kasdan had his crosshairs on Lando, whom he thought should go down in the Sarlacc to prove what a threat it really is to the characters.

Wisely, Lucas wanted only the bad guys to die, the way it should always be. :)

8. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    To tell you the truth Luke should have died.(IMO)

Heres how it could have happened:

Lando and Wedge get to the reactor only to find it Guarded by a Dozen Ties. Wedge fights them to save Lando. Wedge goes down saving the Falcon, Lando escapes and reports in to Admiral Ackbar saying he failed.

Meanwhile on the Death Star Luke senses that the team has failed. Vader has already turned back to the Lightside and Luke destroyed the Emperor. With the Death Star only half built Luke and Vader rush to the firing room and kill everybody. Luke and Vader argue about who overloads the Death Satr and who stays. Finally they both stay and go down together, not without them Contacting the Rebels to tell them of what happened. The Death Star Overloads and blows up.

They have a huge Ceremony for both of them and then the credits roll. Just one of my alternate endings.

9. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    Kasdan also suggested Luke dying at the end of ROTJ, sacrificing himself to destroy the Death Star, but Lucas vetoed it instantly, saying the adults would understand but the kids wouldn't. Wise decision.

10. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    I agree, I think it was a good idea that Lucas did not have any of the main characters die in ROTJ. I was only 5 when ROTJ came out. I would have been completely devestated if Luke or Han had died in ROTJ. I remember a few years later when the Transformers movie came out and how devestated me and my friends were when they killed all the known autobots (including Optimus) at the very beginning of the movie. I never liked the Transformer movie until I got much older, because I hated the fact that all the good guys from the tv show were killed off.

11. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    While it might have been interesting idea, I don't think it would have went over well with most audiences.

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I agree with the majority here and am glad that none of the heroes were killed off. (especially Han ;) ) It would have been an interesting twist, but in the end would not have worked out for the ending chapter of th saga.

13. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I actually like the idea of Han either not being unfrozen or him dying, just because I fully admit I like tragic endings. :D

I doubt it would have gone down, well. Han is just too popular a character to have them kill him off.

Sadly, I don't think too many would have cared had Lando been deep sixed in the Scarlaac's belly. :(

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    It would have added a lot of depth to Star Wars if Luke had sacrificed himself in RotJ. It also would have proved once and for all that Lucas didn't mean there to be any more Sith or Jedi after the fall of Palpatine, so I would never have to argue that point with MBJ again. ;) I agree it would have been really sad for the kids, though.

Just imagine Luke appearing to Leia in blue ghost form at the end of RotJ.

15. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Man, Luke dying would've been a major downer. The guy struggles to understand the Force all through the OT, finally is able to redeem his dad...and then dies. Ouch.

Especially considering how many of the good guys are gonna kick the bucket in Ep3, I think it's good for the Saga as a whole that ROTJ ends on an upbeat note. The heroes might not be the same as they were at the start of ANH, but they still survived.

And hey! No dissin' Lando, Mr. Smoooooov ;)

16. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Yeah, I agree with Damon. For awhile, I thought maybe ROTJ could have used a death in it, just to hit home, but if epIII is going to end ont he downer that some think it will, it might be good to have no one eat it.

17. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I can imagine the accusations of racism against Lucas if he let the only black hero die.

18. SpiKeZKL

SpiKeZKL Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2003
    the whole reson i thoguth of this was from the Star Wars Insider *favorite mag ever* the ROTJ annie issue and the reason it got a bad rap...becasue no one dies. and as some of you ppl are saying "adults understand younglings...no" it would have been a cool ending if han died or something

*consept 3*
    Han is in the MF and it get blown up because he was saving Luke and Leia.
    but then...we wouldn't see the little ewoks dance to that song were the sing YA YA YA YA YAYA Y YA YA..LOL.

19. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I can imagine the accusations of racism against Lucas if he let the only black hero die.

I read somewhere that the racist topic was a huge deciding factor on keeping Lando alive during ROTJ.

20. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Han Solo dying in ROTJ would have made the whole rescue on Tatooine pointless. If he was to die, it should have been in ESB, because you can't spend 1/3 of a movie trying to rescue somebody who will die anyway in an hour of film time. Though I must say I'm much happier with his survival.

21. FleetAdmiralWolf

FleetAdmiralWolf Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2003
    My favorite alternate ending is that the rebel fleet gets quickly destroyed by the Imperial fleet. All of the fleets fire power onto the Executor turns out to be in vain since the shields are too strong. In the mean while the Imperial fleet decimates the rebels into nothing and Lando gets blamed for the incident. Han solo's strike force fails since the stormtroopers easily overcome the ewoks primitive weapons with their blasters. The shield doesn't fall, the rebel fleet destroyer, Luke is turned to the dark side killing Vader and the Rebel Alliance is crushed into nothing.

Though I'm an Imperial loyalist so to me these views seem very optimistic. =D

22. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Now that woulda been an interesting conclusion.

23. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    lando died with the falcon in the origional script for rotj. doesn't realy have anythign to do with han but i figured i would add it anyway.

24. Darth_Rogue

Darth_Rogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2003
    If any of the heroes would have died, it would have sucked beyond belief.

25. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    Brother ! How long have Shakespeare's stories be popular? And those are full of death and tragidy. If Harrison had got his own way, then the scene on Bespin where Solo gets frozen would have been dynamite, and very, very sad. Let's think of the value of drama, boys and girls!

Long ago in history, there was such a thing as walling people up alive in order to give that person a slow death. The freezing of Solo would have been the Star Wars equivalent, only worse for the fact that Solo's living death would have been forever! Don't get me wrong, I really liked Han. In fact, he's the best character in the OT. But that's just my point. By doing such a thing to such a universally loved character would have been priceless in terms of dramatics.

I myself would have left the happy(ish) ending for Ep. IX. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.