main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Han Solo's Death

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by GoJohnnyGo, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    Was this a

1) Harrison Ford decision - He was not going to do anymore Star Wars movies
    2) Star Wars decision - He doesn't fit in the future of the story,
    3) Combination of both

I love TFA, would rank it as 2 or 3 behind ESB, ROTJ/ROTS, my only disappointment is that Luke and Han will not be re-united (barring something unforeseen) at any point in the ST. I feel like this is a lost opportunity for something special, especially considering Luke's role in Ben turning away from the light and what affect it would have had between them...

I feel like he was killed too soon, was in his 1st and only encounter with Kylo at about 80% of the way into 7, would have rather it been a scene somewhere early / mid in 8 with Luke being a part of the scene...

I'm thinking there were some serious backroom conversations going on with the discussion surrounding the lack of a Luke and Han scene that they ultimately decided was not needed...

Please discuss - All that being said, I loved it!

2. NorthBayForce

NorthBayForce Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2015
    Knew it was coming. He had said countless times that he wanted Han to die in the original trilogy and he seemed way too excited for this movie. Wouldn't be surprised if he told JJ that if Han didn't die he wouldn't be in the movie. We'll probably get more info on Han in books.

light_sabe_r likes this.
  3. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have to say, news of Han dying really turns me off to seeing this any time soon.

4. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    That also bothered me as well. But perhaps the Novel itself has more interaction with them after that happened?

5. codex of tython

codex of tython Jedi Knight

Nov 4, 2012
    During the movie I had the feeling this would happen. It is sad, but not necesseraly a bad thing. The way he died is great in my opinion. Ben Solo is a real ***hole and now we have a reason to hate him.

6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I had reservations about this happening as its not enjoyable to me, but it's handled extremely well and is one of the best scenes of the entire saga for its depth IMO.

7. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    The way he put his hand to Kylo Ren/Ben's face, even after being viciously stabbed, really brought the emotions. He forgave his son and still loved him, even after being mortally wounded by him. Unconditional love.

8. cable1996

cable1996 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2001

Exactly... contrast that with "You're friend is quite the mercenary. I wonder if he really cares about anything... or anyone."

9. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    Regardless of the reason behind this, I felt that his death developed naturally from the situation. Once they began their confrontation, I pretty much expected this to be the end for Han, but it still had bite and resonance.

10. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    For as much as JJ is charged with fan pandering, I gotta say that killing Han and never giving Han, Luke and Leia a scene together is the exact opposite of fan pandering and fanservice.

11. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    It's probably for the best. Just because you reunite old actors doesn't mean the old chemistry comes back. The last Indiana Jones brought back Marion and Indy and it was just kinda "meh".

To be honest too while Harrison Ford was great, Carrie Fisher was kinda .... weak in this film for me. I think it's for the best that they handled it the way they did.

Harrison Ford was great in this movie too. It worked well. I think it was smart to kinda make this the "Han Solo movie" ... now Ep. VIII can focus on Luke as the mentor figure.

If you had Luke in this movie too, then Han inevitably would've gotten the short stick I think ... too many characters all over the place.

12. TheFett18

TheFett18 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2015
    I didn't have a problem with him dying, and the acting and build up to his death on the bridge was superb. But the execution of him dying was extremely disrespectful to his character, he is shanked and thrown off the bridge like a dispensed piece of trash. This is Han freakin Solo were talking about, he deserved at least the Qui Gonn or Obi Wan death route.

13. TheFett18

TheFett18 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2015
    Thank god I had read the MSW leaks in June and come to grips with Han's death and Luke's cameo. By the end of the film the audience was about to riot lol

14. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    As is assumed by pretty much everyone, I think it's all Harrison's doing. Not really the best thing for the story in my opinion, at least not this early on.

We should all get pictures/videos of the devastated reactions of cute little kids and post them online with the hashtag #thanksharrison or something like that. (I say devastated kids because if we as adults posted crying selfies of us mourning Han it would not garner the same level of sympathy) ;)

15. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't mind Han Solo dying, but I felt it didn't have the emotional weight it should have... mainly because we don't get to see any kind of relationship between Han and Kylo, and his death is kind of understated within the narrative of the piece. It's odd because obviously Han is one of my favourite characters, and I thought I would have been more emotional... but I think that's more a reflection of the film than me as a viewer.

smoothkaz and moonjump05 like this.
  16. NorthBayForce

NorthBayForce Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2015
    I wore this shirt on opening night fwiw =((:_|

[​IMG]

17. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Han's death could not have been done any better, in my opinion
    I went in expecting Han to die, and as he walked to his son I just felt a tighter and tighter pressure in my chest, fearing what would happen. As soon as his son wouldn't let go of the lightsaber, I knew what would happen, and yet still it came as a shock. I can't describe the sudden drop I felt in my chest when that happened, even if it was fitting, if not a tad predictable - not that that's a bad thing

Yes. That's probably the most emotional part of the scene. It doesn't even have to be with words. Ford's acting in that moment was superb

18. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Ford was great throughout the entire movie, I thought. He has the depth and skill to just "get" Han Solo even after all of these years.

19. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    The problem with losing Ford though going forward is like losing a major ingredient to a recipe. As soon as he came on screen, his charm and delivery makes this whole space opera work.

Prisic Duskleap and TheFett18 like this.
  20. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I would have to say I think it's a combination of both. Emotional stakes are at their highest when a character important to the story dies. It gives motivation to the characters within the plot and gets us all emotionally invested. They needed this moment in the film and Han fit the bill.

Also for those looking to talk about this topic there is another thread about it right HERE.

21. nico-solo

nico-solo Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    I think it was done only to show how bad ass Ben is - what sort of cold mo-fo would kill his father?? This was why vader was so evil, he WAS actually prepared to kill luke if he didn't turn.

Han was one of the most credible characters in TFA - killing him was bad - the scene was bad too, as soon as he called out to Ben I knew he was dead. The scene would have had more impact if they had maybe spent more time developing their story of loving father and son, the family with Leia and so on. The betrayal and murder would have had way more impact. It was an emotionally void scene. For someone with as much street smarts as Han he was an idiot to approach Ben knowing he was consumed by the dark side - this is a guy who can sniff out danger 12 parsecs away and yet he walked-up to someone who would without doubt kill him.

This movie is NOT the jewel in the star wars crown!

22. Sclarkdc

Sclarkdc Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    I knew that Solo would eventually die. I had no problem with how they handled it. I would have rather it been in a blaze of glory. It did seem meaningless at the time. I have a problem with the lack of response after his death. I wish Chewie would have flown down the stairs and ripped his arm off ( he is going to lose a limb anyway right?). Maybe a state funeral or some send off or maybe a emotional hug between Leia and Chewie something at least.

TheFett18 likes this.
  23. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002

That shot is where I really felt it all...love and sadness for Han, disgust and anger toward Kylo.

24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    has anyone brought up possible flashback scenes in episodes 8 and 9 ? and to soften the blow of not having Han in the next two films Luke should be prominently featured !

25. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    It is strange that, while people were gasping in the theater and gushing about how heartrending this scene was, I am still just...meh about it.

It was executed poorly with a brain dead suicidal Han that gets thrown into a bottomless pit as a rag doll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.