main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Han walking on Jabba's tail...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by EternalStutter, Jan 7, 2015.

1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    your kidding right? 2004 is much better.

[​IMG]

2. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Al Capone would have killed you on the spot. So would Jabba too.

smoothkaz and lovelikewinter like this.
  3. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Good gag.

Saga Explorer and thejeditraitor like this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Jabba is not Al Capone.

5. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Didn't think much of the scene. Just a way to get around some filming problems.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Both are crime bosses are they not?

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not every crime boss is the same.

8. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, first Jabba would have had to reach Han with his stubby arms. ;)

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  9. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    Part of good storytelling is creating strong characters. A ruthless crime boss is a strong character. A vacillating, wishy-washy crime boss who lets people walk on him (literally) is a weak and ineffective character. That is storytelling 101.

You have consistently been unable to acknowledge that basic mistake because you have never acknowledged any mistake in any of the SEs or prequels. Even an OOT homer should be able to acknowledge mistakes in those films, same as a prequel or SE homer should be able to acknowledge mistakes in those versions. Every single film that has ever been made or ever will be made has mistakes. When someone cannot admit to rather painfully obvious mistakes, it completely undermines their credibility.

The fact remains that the added Jabba scene was 100% unnecessary for the film. It was only added because George Lucas wanted to insert CGI Jabba in the aftermath of his Jurassic Park mid-life crisis. It was his next volley in a friendly rivalry with his pal Spielberg. That is why you literally have a dinosaur walking in front of -- and blocking -- the camera for a couple of seconds in Mos Eisley. Those things have nothing do with the narrative, and were added into the film only as a "see, look I can put CGI creatures into my movies too".

The exposition in the added Jabba scene was already moved to the Han / Greedo scene. It was conveyed in a tense, dramatic moment. That is good screenwriting. That is good filmmaking. The new Jabba scene just repeats everything. You basically get the exact same information told to you twice, stopping the film's pacing dead in its tracks. To make matters worse, the added Jabba scene is flat and not dramatic. The characters just stand around talking to each other, and there is no tension whatsoever, seeing as Han could literally step on a gangster he owes money to and have nothing happen to him. It's beyond insulting, and was only put into the SE because Lucas wanted to play around with his CGI toys.

10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Considering Lucas worked with Spielberg on the post production of Jurassic Park I don't think that was the case.

Also, what you see as a mistake, someone else can see as a good thing. It's all opinion, and to state one's opinion as fact undermines one's credibility.

I agree that the scene is unnecessary in terms of plot information, and the CG leaves a lot to be desired. But I highly enjoy the scene. The tail stepping doesn't bother me at all, and the human being line is hilarious.
    And I, like some others here, don't find this scene to undermine Jabba's character, since he still turns out to be a nasty son of a bantha in ROTJ.

FRAGWAGON, jakobitis89 and Iron_lord like this.
  11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Jabba isn't being wishy-washy. He and Han have a good relationship and part of that is that they can get away with small stuff like tail stepping and it not be personal. And considering that Jabba is a businessman and civilized, he shows that he can take a little disrespect if it means that he can earn a profit.

I don't see it as a mistake that Han steps on Jabba's tail. See, this is your issue that you see it as a mistake. I don't and not everyone agrees with either one of us. It is only a mistake to you and others who think like you.

It had nothing to do with a rivalry. Lucas said that after seeing what ILM could do with CGI with "Jurassic Park", he felt the time had come where he could go and make the PT. Then when ILM was able to intercut and interact Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump with historical footage of John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon, he decided that he could use the Jabba footage that was shot in 76, and put in the scene since it was something that he had felt that should have been in the film in the first place. And by using the cut of the scene that featured Greedo, where Jabba gives Han another change, Lucas was able to set things in motion for TESB and ROTJ, as well as test out what could be done going into the PT.

Not everything has to be so super dramatic. Even good films will have characters stop and talk and not have tension or drama going on.

12. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    A pretty simple alternative exists, have Jabba be a hologram.

Have some small, portable holo-projector shown an image of Jabba and he and Han talk.
    Then Han can walk around with no problem. And Jabba doesn't have to drag his heavy behind from his palace and back again.
    Plus, is the entrance we see in the film the only entrance to the hangar? If so, would real Jabba even fit through there?

There, problem solved.

Bye for now,
    Old Stoneface

TX-20 and FRAGWAGON like this.
  13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I think it was ruled out as being more difficult to pull off, hence having Jabba physically there.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015

Just another attraction to bring more people to the movie theater. I watched ANH Special Edition back in 1997 and I loved that scene, now it doesn't mean too much for me, I prefer the OOT, no modifications. I just don't know why the second change in Jabba at the new version, looks silly.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The revision was due to the fact that TPM presented a much better looking Jabba and Lucas wanted to go back and do it again.

Messi and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Actually, in terms of the scene being another way to bring people in, the Jabba scene wasn't the big draw for me. I was much more interested in them putting back Biggs' appearance in the Yavin hangar.

17. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    The Jabba scene in ANH just wasn't really necessary. Just repeated the same stuff with the Greedo conversation and made Jabba look like a chump. Also, Boba Fett following Jabba. Like really? He might as well be any nameless goon in Jabba's entourage. Totally pointless scene. [face_sigh]

lovelikewinter likes this.
  18. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

But I thought that in 1997 the technology had finally arrived that would allow him to realize his true vision? Are you saying that wasn't true?

TX-20 and ScutFarkus like this.
  19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    What was done in the 90's allowed for the character to exist within the framework of the original footage, but a lot had changed between when Jabba was finalized for ANH to when Jabba was made for TPM.

[​IMG]

That's why he went back and did a revision. Jar Jar Binks, Watto, Boss Nass and Sebulba had proven to be fully realized as CGI and ILM had upgraded its software and hardware in order to make those four characters exist. Not to mention the background aliens in TPM. By the time of the 04 revision, more characters had been done with Yoda, Dex, the Kaminoans and the Geonosians. That's why he upgraded Jabba's look for the 04 version, but not for the Blu-Ray version. It was now at the level that he was content with it.

It's just like how the Hulk had evolved from the 03 film to the 08 film, with improvements in technology. The only difference is that Universal isn't willing to go back and redo the 03 film's Hulk to look less rubbery and more organic.

20. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

From the Lucas Quotes thread:

He's consistently said that there would always be things he'd still want to change. Back in 1997, he wasn't sure if he'd ever get the chance to make more changes, but that doesn't mean he didn't want to.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The funds from the two PT films and merchandise gave him the means to pay for the DVD upgrades.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  22. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    1) That he is a horrible editor.

He couldn't come up with another shot to cut to while Han was walking around? Even if there was "no footage" doesn't mean they couldn't have filmed something new. Like they did for Boba's pointless fan-**** cameo.

2) Hate it.

What fearsome gangster would allow that to happen? Jabba feeds people to rancors and sarlaccs for the fun of it!

smoothkaz likes this.
  23. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    That's a good idea, actually. Though I prefer the lighthearted moment with the tail.

It suits Jabba and Star Wars in general. It has from the beginning had this silly, Muppet side that creeps out now and then. Jabba's Palace is like the Muppet Show; it's fairly made up of the Henson Creature Shop.

And Salacious Crumb stands in for an alien Statler & Waldorf.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Cutting to another shot disrupts the flow of the scene. This is why the wipe of the person walking in front of Luke, Biggs and Pops was jarring as it interrupted the flow of the scene as it was filmed. Lucas already used that twice in the film. Cutting to Boba wouldn't work because he was framed in the existing background and Lucas was already spending money allotted elsewhere, where there was a greater need for replicating original sets.

25. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

How would he have done this? If you start with Han on one side of Jabba, start to see him walking behind him, cut away to a shot of Chewie, then cut back to Han walking around the other side of Jabba....you end up with the same damn problem: How the hell did Han get around his tail? Did he do a cute little bunny hop over it? Or else it comes across like he teleported. It's jarring. Your brain wants to know what happened. That would be horrible editing.

FRAGWAGON, Sarge and Iron_lord like this.