main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Hand of Fate - (L/M post TLC AU) - Completed!! November 27

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Max, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Disclaimer: It's George's sandbox; I'm simply destroying the sandcastles.

Title: Hand of Fate
    Author: Jade_Max
    Timeframe: Post "The Last Command" AU
    Characters: Luke, Mara - OT characters
    Summary: Mara and Luke establish their Force Bond completely by accident during the (slightly altered) events on Wayland while destroying th evil clone Luuke. Struggling with the knowledge and the sudden bond between them, things take a messy turn when the court system - looking for a scape goat and cause to garner public approval - arrest the former "Hand" on charges ranging from murder to treason... and Luke Skywalker is their star witness.
    Notes: Adopted from the Plot Bunny Thread's Plot Bunny Hutch. Big thank you [:D] to Jedi_Lover for a plot bunny that's been eating at me since I first read it - it's going to be fun!
    Notes 2: I think this is my second or third ever L/M story - and my first long shot - and I admit to still being uncomfortable writing both characters. Any and all constructive character criticism is welcome (In thread, or in PM) - thank you in advance!

Teh Bunny
    What if Mara and Luke established their Force Bond (you know the one they experienced in VOTF) at the end of TLC? So now Mara knows all of Luke?s thoughts and memories and Luke now knows all of Mara?s memories and her most guarded secrets.

If it got out that Jedi master Luke Skywalker was now privy to all the secrets of a former Imperial assassin do you think the New Republic leadership would have subpoenaed Luke to testify before a grand jury investigating Mara?s crimes as an Imperial Assassin?

What would make this a cool little fanfic is if the EU has the same rules as courts in the USA. Meaning spouses cannot be compelled to testify against one another.

So Luke, in an effort to protect Mara from the courts that are trying railroad her, volunteers to marry her so he would not be compelled to testify. I can just see it now...Romance, Angst and maybe more.

I will be keeping a PM list for this, and if anyone should like to receive PMs, simply PM me or leave a note in the thread. Lurkers and posters are all welcome [:D]

[b][u]Hand of Fate[/b][/u]

[u]Chapter 1[/u]

Force Bonded.

To Mara Jade.

Luke Skywalker rubbed his forehead with two fingers, trying to think quietly and receiving nothing but a headache for his troubles. The information screen in front of him, a fragment from the Imperial records about Jedi and their obscure powers, flickered in and out and was no comfort.

Forced Bonded.

How had it happened? How [i]could[/i] it have happened? How had they [i]let[/i] it happen?

He opened blood-shot eyes to stare at the screen once more, trying to wrap his mind around the concept. According to the records, Force Bonds had been exceedingly rare, even in the Old Republic, and established between two Jedi deliberately. In the notes, he'd found, it indicated that Force Bonds took years of mutual trust to build because of their intrusive and all consuming nature.

As he knew.

They'd arrived at the Emperor's store house of Wayland, entered Mount Tantiss and been confronted by a clone of Luke himself. Luke had fought the clone, but Mara - the woman who'd promised to kill him - had watched his back. He'd stretched out without thinking to allow her access to his resources to help bolster her own defenses. She'd taken willingly and completely, unknowingly forging the last link in a Force Bond by her acceptance.

Without that link, they'd likely not have won. She'd helped him clear the buzzing from his mind and to focus beyond it, and he'd boosted her own innate powers to deal with the Jorus C'baoth. Her physical skills had needed no help; he'd simply lent her the discipline to make full use of her Force abilities.

They'd come out of the fight grateful to be alive, their thoughts a mirror of each other and, because of their connection in battle, they'd ignored it. It wasn't until they were back on the [i]Wild Karrde[/i] and Mara's inner tu

2. solobratz

solobratz Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2006
    Nice beginning, Jade_Max. I love L/M, espcecially when the two are young. Could you put me on the pmlist?

3. Master_M_Sky

Master_M_Sky Jedi Master star 1

Aug 3, 2006
    Oh, boy. This is tricky stuff. Personally, at that point in the relationship, I wouldn't be too happy about that Force bond, either. But that's just because Mara doesn't know Luke well enough yet...hehe. ;)

Eager to see where you'll go with this!

If there's a PM list, can I be added? [face_batting]

4. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, this is going to be interesting. Sign me up for PMs, please? :D Great beginning!

I bet Mara is just so happy with this turn of events. [face_laugh] (Well, she will be if she just gives it time, I'm sure! ;))

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Helloooo!!!!!!! I'm loving it!!! Duh!!! Can I have PMS? Whee!!! Anticipating the mush!! :)

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    WOO HOO!!! [face_dancing] Okay, now that I've got that out of my system... :p

Please put me on the PM list for this one! :D

Mara's presence faded to the background, as if to give him privacy, though the sensation was still intrusive enough he was completely aware of it. A part of him was uncomfortable knowing that she could read him as easily as he could read her, but another part - the larger part - was relieved he couldn't pretend with her. He could simply be. It was a refreshing change for the man everyone expected to be the "perfect" Jedi.

Luke pushed the thoughts away. His mind was drifting off topic, a sure sign that he needed some sleep. He rose, stretching to get the kinks out of his back, and shut down the console he'd been using. The strange message was still in his thoughts but sleep was more pressing. Until he could think it through with a mind not fogged from too little sleep, it would have to wait and so could Skyes.

Sleep beckoned, like the call of a siren, and this time Luke didn't resist.

Off to a fantastic start! =D=

7. Gonkdroid27

Gonkdroid27 Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2007
    Nice start. Always enjoy L/M back in the early days. It will be interesting to see how Mara reacts to Luke the more she learns about him through this bond. If there is a PM list, please add me to it.

8. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    PMs! Pms! Pms! Please![face_batting]

I'm so happy to see this! An inspired idea, I'm so glad that you took the bunny. Can't wait to see where this one goes . . .

*happy sigh*

~MJ@};-

9. Jade_Skywalker

Jade_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Hehehe, what a wonderful AU. I like it much. How it should have beeen in the books. ;) I never did forgive the books for not getting those two together sooner. Even worse was how long it took for them to have a kid. So I'm liking this a lot already. ;)

Mara is so in character right now. Of course she immediately would not like it, and of course a part of Luke would. ;) You doing an awesome job so far, and I can feel the angst coming already.

Looking forward to more. :D

10. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    WOW

I can just picture Mara's displeasure at being linked to Luke and him to her.

Talk about awkward!!

Please add me to your PM list.

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

11. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Nice start to your story. Can I be put on your PM list please.

Thanks!

AG88

12. redtenko

redtenko Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2006
    oooh that is a great plotbunny, I can see why you jumped on it. this is a great start, so far no complaints and I think you're Luke looks well written and in character. Can I be on the PM list? I wanna know what happens next

13. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    PM me please this looks really great!

14. IceFire27

IceFire27 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2007
    Me like! L/M how can one go wrong? :D

If you are doing a PM list may I please be on it? [face_praying]

15. palpyisgod2

palpyisgod2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2005
    Y'know what? I reckon PM's could be put this way
    Wonderful beginning!

16. Jaded_Rose

Jaded_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2006
    Maxie!!! [:D] I told you you could do it! Both characters look to be very well thought out - don't worry about a thing. I'm sure you already know me, but send a PM this way when you update.

J_Ro

17. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    I like this one! This could get real sticky. Please add me to your PM list and thanks.@};-

18. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes, I like this, put me on the PM list!

19. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Great beginning. I loved that Mara told him to fix it and then pretty much ignored the situation, sending him data as promised. As soon as the lawyers start getting involved....

Please put me on the PM list.

20. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Love this concept. I've got it on Active Topic Notification, so I should be okay w/o a PM for now.

21. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    solobratz ? Thanks; this is going to stretch me abilities and comfort level for my writing, which is the reason I took the bunny :) I?d be happy to PM you when I update.

Master_M_Sky ? I have to agree, at this point in the relationship the two of them aren?t quite ready for that kind of commitment; but it happened so what?s going to happen is part of the fun; I?d be happy to PM you when I update.

ginchy ? Thanks; Luke and Mara are a bit of a mystery to me so we?ll see what happens. I admit I?ll be bouncing back and forth between perspectives, so Mara?s up next ? I?d be happy to PM you when I update.

Jade_eyes ? Thank you ? I?d be happy to PM you when I update

VaderLVR64 - *laughs* I guess we?ll see if you?re still saying that in several posts *laughs* Thanks for the vote of confidence Kim; PMs will be headed your way.

Gonkdroid27 ? I think the two of them are on information overload right now with regards to each other so once it winds down, things will get very interesting; I?d be happy to PM you when I update

Mira_Jade ? I agree it?s an inspired idea; I haven?t been able to get it out of my head since I read the bunny *makes a face* PMs coming your way when I update!

Jade_Skywalker ? I agree that they should have gotten together sooner, I honestly, I think they?d have self destructed if they had; neither was ready. This is just going to make them ready ? and I hope to throw a bunch of twists at you guys while in the midst of it, so here?s hoping I can do angst, humor and mush! I guess we?ll find out, won?t we?

KELIA ? Mara?s more than a little displeased *laughs* Keep an eye on your inbox; I?ll be sure to send you PMs

academygrad88 ? Thank you, and I can certainly PM you when I update

redtenko ? I think it was more the plot bunny jumped on me *laughs* I?d be happy to PM you; thank you for commenting on Luke?s characterization; I?m more comfortable with him than with Mara.

star_writer24 ? I?d be happy to PM you.

IceFire27 ? I can certainly PM you ? and how can one go wrong with L/M? The author can make them do things that are out of character [face_blushing]

palpyisgod2 ? I reckon PMs can certainly be put your way ? thanks for reading!

Jaded_Rose ?*hears the sound of bells jingling* you really are here with bells on, aren?t you? :eek: You do realize I?m just waiting for you to start throwing evil bunnies at me, don?t you, Rose? ;) I?m a mass of quivering anticipation ? fear or something else I?m not sure *laughs* I?ll send a PM your way when I update; thanks for reading hon!

JEDIFLYSWATTER ? Sticky is an understatement ? I?d be happy to PM you when I update.

AvenKiel ? Of course my friend, of course; a PM will be headed your way shortly.

dianethx ? I think Mara would have placed the blame solely on Luke?s shoulders initially ? he is the Jedi after all ? so it would somehow have to be his fault. She?s not going to be happy when she finds out this kind of bond is mutually formed. I?d be happy to sen a PM your way when I update. Thanks for reading!

Jedi_Liz ? Then I guess with this one, I?ll need to update my topic when I update :) I can do that! Thanks for reading!

[:D] [:D] [:D][:D] You guys sure know how to make a gal feel welcome in a fandom pairing she?s not played with much. Thanks for reading, each and everyone one of you ? update to follow!

NOTE - I send PMs out with my dock Vix_Anne - those who have asked for one, expect them from that sock. Thanks!

22. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Chapter 2

Mara Jade placed her drink on the scarred bar top with a clink, her carefully neutral expression betraying nothing. "You never did know when to back off, Aves."

The tall, thin man, she addressed - Talon Karrde's right hand man - shrugged and shifted on his bar stool. "They're just rumors."

"Unfounded." Mara told him with an arched eyebrow. "You shouldn't believe everything you hear."

Aves picked up his own drink and took a sip. "After everything I've read - that Ghent could get his hands on - they're not that unfounded."

Mara shrugged, twisting the glass once in the circle of condensation, her gaze never leaving his. "Ghent needs to learn when not to get involved."

"This is a freebie, courtesy of Talon," he pulled a datacard from his sleeve with a practiced movement and dropped it to the counter. She made no move towards it as he slid it several inches away from him towards her.

Mara felt Skywalker's attention focus on something regarding her for just a moment, feeling a surge of apprehension and worry. Without conscious thought, she was worried and then, alternatively, annoyed. Skywalker, though a backwater planet farm boy, was a grown man and could take care of himself. She could feel Skywalker's mind at the back of hers as she consciously pulled away. Skywalker believed the link was a message from the Force. Mara didn't think so; she saw it as another method of servitude, a way of being held hostage and was one she needed to break - fast.

She should have killed him when she?d had the chance

Her mind snapped back to the present to see Aves looking at her strangely. She blanked her face and covered the momentary lapse by taking a sip of her drink. "What's on it?" She nodded to the data disk.

"Stories, mostly. Eye witness accounts. Memories and facts. What Ghent was able to lift from the Emperor's personal files on you before giving the access codes to Skywalker."

Mara palmed the disk and slid it into a thigh pocket without verifying its contents. Karrde's group had no reason to lie to her. If Aves said that's what was on it, then that's what was on it. She'd destroy it later. "Thanks. I'll owe you one."

"On the house; you're buying."

"Two employers, two paycheques." Her eyes sparkled. "You should come work for me instead of Karrde."

Aves shrugged noncommittally, but Mara had made the offer in jest. She knew Aves was loyal to Karrde, but he wanted nothing more than to strike out on his own as a Captain. He would eventually, just not yet. He downed the last of his drink and stood. "I have to get going. See you around, Mara."

She lifted her hand in farewell before turning back to the bar. Several of the patrons regarded her curiously, but swiftly went back to their drinks. One was pretending to pay no attention to her, but she could sense his interest. Her lips thinned. Her image had been plastered all over the Holonet before she'd put a stop to it for 72 hours after their return from Wayland. Someone had leaked a story to the Galactic Press about the battle to rid the Galaxy of another Emperor-like dictator, a Hero story, and supplied her name as the Heroine.

Damn Skywalker and his meddling ways anyway. She knew he'd been the one to talk to them, a way to exonerate her in the eyes of the public, but it had made her life hell. And she knew he knew that she knew. The Force-cursed link between them made it impossible for her to hide anything from him. He knew intimate details about her past.

Leaving her parents. Her first days with the Emperor. Her initiation as one of his Hands. Black listed missions; her first - she shied away from the thoughts, mentally blocking herself from Luke before he caught on to her resentment and tried to sooth her.

She disliked the invasion of her privacy, the violation of her freedom - but at the same time reveled in the similarly intimate details she knew about Luke. Details she would have bet no one knew, not even his twin. It was a powerful, and humbling, experience. And humi

23. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    Very Good!

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Very realistic picture of Mara's feelings at this stage. I always wanted them to have a relationship really early ;) but the bond before the relationship, I think, would have had just this effect. Loved Mara in full tailing the tail mode. :* :cool: Can't wait for the love to catch up with the bond. [face_laugh] :)

25. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    I do hope that it was not Luke that opened his mouth because most of the time it is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid then to open it and prove it. I am sure he meant well but I bet Mara was always worried about the NRI. I always thought that the NR just let all her crimes go rather easily but then again she only went against targets that were enemies of the Empire and not the Rebellon. Except Luke and that was that 'in house' stuff too. Super job and thanks.@};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.