main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Hand of Fate - (L/M post TLC AU) - Completed!! November 27

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Max, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSkywalker32

JadeSkywalker32 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2009
    I just found this awesome story and I had to come in and tell you how much I love it. I love the way you have managed to keep them both so in character and your reason for getting them together was very clever. I wish I had more time to leave a better review but I just had time to drop a short note to let you know that I think you are doing a fabulous job with this and I can't wait to read more :)

2. walker-of-minds

walker-of-minds Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2006
    great update, I enjoy this fic and always look forward to reading your work.

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Okay, I'm behind. What's new? :p BUT I did get to read TWO awesome updates at once, so that was good for me at least.

LOVED, absolutely ADORED the hot scene between Luke and Mara. Now that's what I'm TALKIN' ABOUT!!! [face_love]

And Han and Leia are superb, as always.

Loved it. =D=

4. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    I really like that you had four distinct characters playing off each other in very believable ways. Each chacter had their own voice, and distinct reactions to each other. As these are such great characters, it's very nice to see each of them well defined; for myself I know it's often all too easy to let one or two characters fade into the scenery for a scene. Kudos!

5. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    It's nice to see The Solo Family make an appearance. The trial should be interesting if it really continues forward.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great update. Enjoyed Han and Leia's reactions and how Leia finally came around. Liked the sibling protectiveness she showed.

Luke's right about the bond being liberating and meaning you don't say one thing and mean another ... there's a level of safety and trust that you don't get with any other kinda love-bond... or if you do, it's not as deep or it takes longer. [face_thinking]

It makes the physical aspects more ... off the chain too I'd imagine [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I'm melting so I'll stop!!!
    [face_laugh]

[face_dancing]

7. JadeSkywalker32

Nov 1, 2009
    JadeEyes, I tried to reply to your PM but I was unable to because I do not have enough post. I did not want you to think that I was ignoring you so I am replying here. I hope I do not get into trouble for this....

Hello there! Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I think I may just be addicted to this place now, lol. I haven't had the opportunity to read as much fanfics as I would like but I will definitely check out yours and the two authors you mentioned. I have done some writing in the past but I am no where near as talented as the rest of you (not by a long shot, lol). Science fiction would definitely be a challenge for me because most of my writing has been basic mush and simple mystery type of stuff. I am so excited to have found this place! I actually wrote to Tim Zahn when I was in high school and he wrote me back! It was great because he thought it was funny that I wanted Luke and Mara to hook up but he agreed that they would be a great couple. Later on, I found out that they ended up getting married and I was ecstatic. I had gotten away from the Star Wars universe because I had joined the military and I was super busy with studying and all that jazz. Now that I am no longer in the military and I have a little bit more free time on my hands, I decided to check out if there were any other Luke/Mara fans out there. I'm sure you can imagine my surprise and delight when I found this site. I had heard somewhere that they killed Mara off in the new series and I swore that I would never read another Star Wars book. Now that I found this place, I can read about my favorite couple and pretend Sacrifice never happened :) Its so nice to share my "obsession" with others! Again, thank you so much for the welcome and I promise to check out your stories as well as the other authors you recommended. If I ever get brave enough to write something, I'll be sure to send it to you for your feedback. I hope you have a WONDERFUL day!!

I am following this story and a few others and I am sooooooo becoming addicted to this place. I can't wait for the next update!!

8. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Well look at me - I'm almost finished :D Two (maybe 3) posts left!

This story has a few posts left, but not many - and I can't thank you all enough for sticking with me through this from where it started to where it's going... enjoy!

[u]Chapter 28[/u]

The last week of their honeymoon arrived with a whisper instead of the bang they'd been expecting.

Skyes had been suspiciously silent since Mara's exam, and Luke suspected he was trying to build a case against Mara without his testimony. It would fit the weasel's characteristics, but Luke also knew that no public records existed of Mara's past. Nothing that they'd been able to find with her old codes and nothing Ghent had been able to find - except the data that Mara had destroyed.

With any luck their first hearing would be their last, with the charges dropped due to lack of evidence. But, even with luck on their side, he wasn't willing to leave everything to chance.

"Don't even think about it," Mara's caution was accompanied with a hand to the center of his chest as she pushed him back against the couch. They'd been watching some holo flick that hadn't much held their attention; nothing held his attention when Mara was idly playing with a part of him and tonight was no different. She'd become fascinated by the texture of his hair. "The trial will take care of itself."

"You were right you know."

"Oh?" She looked amused. "About what?"

"Making a horrible wife."

With a laugh, she turned towards him. "Is that so?"

"Yup - you're a horrible wife."

"But a fun bed warmer?"

"You didn't let me finish." Reaching up, Luke caught her hands and pinned the one already on his chest in place before adding its pair as the laughter in her face died to be replaced by irritation. He smiled at her. "You are a horrible wife - for anyone [i]except[/i] me."

There was no need to look for sincerity; she could [i]feel[/i] it enveloping her in waves. He continued as she met his gaze.

"You'd have driven Han over the edge by now, Wedge would have run off screaming and Wes would have used you for target practice - which would [i]almost[/i] have been worth seeing.... except then there'd be a body to dispose of and, no matter how good you are at it, I think someone like Wes Janson would be a noted disappearance."

"Not to mention I'd be a widow and you [i]wouldn't[/i] be able to save me this time."

"Exactly... but where you'd drive them nuts, I like a little crazy in my women."

She pushed against where his hands held hers captive and knocked him back to the couch. Unable to free her hands, she was forced to go with him - and ended up straddling him instead. "Not to mention a little fight, right Farmboy?"

"Right." His blue eyes twinkled. "See, you know me so well - the Force knew what it was doing when it chose [i]you[/i] for my life's mate."

"Life's mate - isn't that a Wookie term?"

"A play on one, maybe, but no less meaningful for the idiom. It's true enough, isn't it?"

"Is that your suave way of asking if you're stuck with me for life?"

He laughed softly, releasing one of her hands to cup her face - and play with the curtained fall of her hair by one ear. "I don't need to ask; though I don't consider being 'stuck' with you a chore."

Her lips curved. "It has some perks, does it?"

"For both of us." Luke's finger tips traced the shell of her ear where it was caught in the silken fall. "Any regrets so far?"

"Just one."

Arching his eyebrows at her words, he caught her meaning as she shifted on him - and grinned. "Does that mean you're up for taking a second honeymoon when this is all over and done with?"

"It won't be like house arrest will it?"

"Not unless we want it to. But I was thinking of some place a little greener, with an ocean or lake... secluded... temperate weather... room service..."

"Mmm, sounds like heaven." Tilting her head and looking down at him, she smiled. "I'd have thought you'd be sick of me by now."

"After two months? Not a chance. We were stranded on Myrkr under worse circumstances; I had a chance to get to know how far I could push you then."

"A

9. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    :) Lovely, lovely, lovely!!! But you mentioned the bad thing about your starting to write on this again - it means this story will end soon :_| :_| :_|

Anyway -wonderful update. They are so at ease with each other, not only do you state it but the banter and play between them flows so faultlessly! I liked the peeks into their pasts and dephts that you offered too!

"Stealing your friend's girl for a night isn't exactly the same thing as exposing a ring of traitors and executing their leaders."
    What was that? You make me curious?

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fantabulous sweet and warm honesty and tenderness. The comfortableness is stronger too. I love their mutual joyfulness in one another. Squee! [:D]

11. JadeSkywalker32

Nov 1, 2009
    I'm sitting here grinning like a great big idiot but that was well worth it! I love that Mara is finally letting herself accept her feelings for Luke and I love that they can't get enough of each other :) They really do balance each other and your writing is making me melt ;) Please update soon, I can't wait to see happens next!

12. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    Exactly how long are you going to continue with this fic? I know you're going to go to the trial, but are you going to include the honeymoon too to a certain mid-rim world that was once invaded by the Trade Federation? I'm all for two things: Luke and Mara figuring things out right away and getting together before 10 years, and Luke or Leia going to Naboo and finding about the Naberries and their mother.

Good light hearted chapter with some dark undertones, but overall very enjoyable. It seems like it's getting a little too drawn out and I'm just wanting to see how the trial ends up (I'm sure things aren't going to go how Luke and Mara expect, but I know she isn't going to be convicted of anything).

13. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    It's great that Luke and Mara have straightened their relationship out enough to want to continue. Spending time away without all the surveillance will be nice. Great banter as well.

14. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    "You were right you know."

"Oh?" She looked amused. "About what?"

"Making a horrible wife."

With a laugh, she turned towards him. "Is that so?"

"Yup - you're a horrible wife."

"But a fun bed warmer?"

"You didn't let me finish." Reaching up, Luke caught her hands and pinned the one already on his chest in place before adding its pair as the laughter in her face died to be replaced by irritation. He smiled at her. "You are a horrible wife - for anyone except me."

There was no need to look for sincerity; she could feel it enveloping her in waves. He continued as she met his gaze.

"You'd have driven Han over the edge by now, Wedge would have run off screaming and Wes would have used you for target practice - which would almost have been worth seeing.... except then there'd be a body to dispose of and, no matter how good you are at it, I think someone like Wes Janson would be a noted disappearance."

How true! [face_laugh] He knows her so well. :p

=D=

15. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I've got this feeling that there's two posts for me to catch up on... and I'd say where I've been, but that explanation begins and ends with "the lyrics to The Teddy Bear's Picnic can be creepy? Wow..." so, no. No excuses from me. And yep. Still would like PM's. :)

"I take it she's been dying to get over here?"

"That's one way of putting it. Say hello to your uncle Luke, Jaina." The baby in Han's grasp gurgled and waved her stubby arms. "That's baby for hello - or so Leia tells me."

Awwwww! Baby cuteness!!!!

Liked the "what if they ask questions separately" thing. Glad that's covered.

"You might be surprised to know this, but Mara and I can hide things from one another for short periods of time. For the surprises I might spring on her, it's enough."

I hate surprises, Farmboy.

Depends on what kind of surprise he be talking about, though...

"You are a horrible wife - for anyone except me."

I don't know why that's romantic, but it totally is. [face_love]

And them talking here? Loved, loved it. Awesome.

Good updates. :)

16. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Thanks you guys! Messages will be late going out on this one; the hubby's on vacation and we're spending quite a bit of time together... it's such a nice change!

On another note, I finished writing this story this weekend and we're almost finished. *jaw drops* holy moly, what a ride!! I can't wait to hear your opinions on the rest of this thing... what a monster this turned into - but what a ride!

So, as happens when I finish something I've been working on, I'll be posting the three last posts in quick succession; I'm not a believer in keeping the readers waiting once a story is finished ;)

Just call this my early gift to my readers [:D] for this non-denominational capitalist gift giving season; otherwise known as Christmas to my family ;P

[u]Chapter 29[/u]

"Ready for this?"

Luke checked his appearance in the reflective surface again and ran his hands over his hair. "Will you laugh if I say no?"

"You look fine, Luke," Mara's smile was infectious as she draped her arms around his neck from behind, sliding one hand possessively down his chest; it was a move he'd become familiar with over the last couple of weeks. A sign of her possessiveness - and he found he liked it; he liked anything that made her touch him. "You're not the one on trial, remember?"

"And for someone who is, you're awfully relaxed."

"I have the defense's skifter in my pocket - among other places; why wouldn't I be?"

She had a point. "I can't help but feel Skyes isn't going to let this drop."

"I'm sure he won't, but a circumstantial case leaves it open to admit hard proof of my recent 'good deeds' for the New Republic. It won't be surprising if he tries another tactic to get you readmitted as the star witness."

"Like what?"

"Proving our marriage as false."

"He's tried that already."

Mara shook her head. "He tried on the physical side of things; there are still a few ways he can try to discredit us - ways I'm sure neither you or I would consider."

"I doubt there's anything he could do to make our marriage seem like a farce... unless he's going to play dirty - more dirty - then he already has."

"I don't expect him to pull his punches and neither should you."

"But you're not worried."

"Not a chance. The second they put you on the stand to ask you about our relationship, he's sunk."

"And what if he calls you as a witness instead?"

"I think I'll manage," her grin was mischievous as she tucked an errant curl behind his ear. "You need a hair cut."

"It's not exactly high on my list of priorities," he returned dryly.

"It should be; you look more like the farm boy you used to be than the distinguished Jedi you are."

"I'm not just a Jedi."

?Not to me, you?re not,? she agreed. ?But to them... to Skyes, that?s your main attraction. You?re the embodiment of every child?s secret fantasy; a kid from a backwater planet who lifted himself to become a galactic hero. On top of that, you revived powers thought lost to the Galaxy. It's every kid's dream?

"Not mine."

"No... it wouldn't be."

His brow knotted and he appeared to have forgotten why they were getting ready as the topic turned from the trial. . "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You dreamed of escaping Tatooine by going to the Imperial academy; a life of service. But the second your name came to the Emperor's attention..."

It was what she didn't say that caught and held him. She was remembering her training, the pain and suffering she endured for the man she's considered a father. A man who'd have not hesitated to throw her aside if he'd found someone he deemed more worthy of his attention; a man who would have cast her aside if Luke had been available to him. On the outside chance she'd been kept in his service, they'd likely have been pitted against one another.

It was a sobering thought.

"I'd have been no better off than you."

"Exactly."

He sighed. "That doesn't mean I like being in the spot light."

"You may not like it, but you don't hate it either."

"Yes, I do.?

?No; you don?t.?

?I do,? Luke?s insistence was almost sad. ?No one looks beyond it to what?s underne

17. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Chapter 30

"Couldn't resist could you?"

Her lips tilted. "You were thinking about it too."

"I wasn't thinking about much once you grabbed me."

"Liar. You just weren't thinking about this," she waved one hand at their surroundings, "but your thoughts were far from blank."

Luke didn't deign to answer; he couldn't refute her and didn't even try as they walked the corridors. Mara's action had been something he'd never expected and went to show that surprising one another with spontaneity was still possible. That she'd deliberately given the holo cams fodder as a part of her plan for the day's events was as unsettling as her kiss had been.

She had a plan; he simply didn't know what it was.

The hall where Mara and Luke had been summoned was adjacent to the office where they'd taken their vows two short months before. It was done in similar muted and professional shades, wood paneling and expensive brocades to lend it an air of sophistication. Courts normally convened in the official courthouse, except in this instance, Luke and Mara hadn't been summoned to court.

This was a pre-hearing.

A place to establish if Skyes had enough evidence to continue or if the charges against Mara would be dropped. Who Skyes would call to give evidence, neither of them knew - but what they did know was that both of them would be asked questions about their courtship and marriage. And both of them were sure this would not be comfortable or respectful of their privacy.

Not only would Skyes be looking for ways to trip them up, but for ways to render their marriage invalid; if it was possible.

Entering the hall, Luke and Mara gave their names to the court guard and were ushered into an informal room with several chairs around a main table. Skyes was already seated, not sparing them a glance, as he went over his notes. Neither Luke nor Mara had brought notes - but they wouldn't need them.

A Justice appeared, stepping into the room from another door just as Mara and Luke took their seats across from Skyes. The little alien glanced up to nod to the Justice before he neatly stacked several flimsies he'd been reading to the side and folded his hands before him. Beady little black eyes didn't so much as glance Mara or Luke's way as the Justice took her seat.

"I am Justice Alejandra; you've all been called here this morning to see if the allegations against Miss Jade have-"

"Jade-Skywalker."

The Justice looked at Mara as she was interrupted. "Pardon?"

"Luke is my husband, Justice Alejandra. My proper form of address would be Ms. or Mrs. Jade-Skywalker."

Justice Alejandra checked something on her notes and looked to Mister Skyes. "Your charges are for one Miss Jade, Councilor. Was then an amendment that I haven't yet received?"

"No, Justice," Skyes informed her respectfully. "I do not acknowledge this marriage as Miss Jade married Mister Skywalker the moment she found out about the charges to prevent him from being able to testify against her."

"I see." Justice Alejandra turned her gaze back to the couple. "Is this true?"

"Not precisely, Hour honor." Mara glanced at Luke. "We were bonded well before any charges were leveled in my direction. The charges simply necessitated an expedient method of official recognition."

"It is all lies, Your honor," shot back Skyes. "My extensive research had yet to find a single witness who will corroborate that they were engaged before they were married for any length of time, nor that Mister Skywalker followed either Coruscant tradition - or that of his home planet of Tatooine - to mark their betrothal."

"We'll get to that in a minute, Mister Skyes." Justice Alejandra's tone was firm. "The purpose of this hearing is to discover if there is enough evidence to support Mister Skyes' accusations to warrant a trial. Both side will be expected to give a full and truthful accounting; is that understood?"

"Yes, Your honor."

"Good. Now.. just what, Mister Skyes, were you alluding to with your betrothal cl-ah, thank you." The Justice skimmed through the datapad that Skyes had handed her.

18. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Epilogue

"Mmm, I can't believe it's over."

Luke, stretched out beside her in their bed back at his apartment - now theirs - stared at the ceiling as he was trying to reorient himself.

They hadn't spoken on their trip back, both reflecting on what had happened and the freedom that was suddenly theirs again - and the publicity that came with it. They'd retreated to their home and barred the doors and windows against intrusions. Luke had also, almost as an after thought, turned off all comm. calls. Leia and Han would want to know how things had turned out, but they were a secondary consideration; he'd been too keen to make love to his wife to consider doing anything else before he'd gotten the chance.

Now, one hand tangled in Mara's sweat damped tresses, his brain struggled to comprehend her lethargic and sated words even as her fingers traced over the muscles of one bicep.

"Which part, the trial... or the madness that came after we walked through the front door?"

"The trial, Farmboy." She levered herself into view on one arm, and his hand slid free from her hair. "I'm free; we're free. It's over."

His hand came back up to cup her cheek. "Any regrets?"

"About the trial?"

"About the path we took to avoid it."

Green eyes searched blue, and Luke could feel her answer before she said it. "Not a one." She bent down to kiss him, surprisingly gentle, and slid her free hand up his chest. "Still thinking about that second Honeymoon, Skywalker?"

He caught her close and rolled to pin her to the bed, the sheets twisting underneath and about them as he braced himself on his forearms above her. "Yearning for it. I can't wait to get you out of here, away from everyone and everything. Maybe if we disappear, it'll quell whatever rumors Skyes starts."

"Mmm hmm," she smiled. "Why do you think I made such a point of ensuring the holo news is aware there's no change in our blissfully married state?"

"You don't think this is over."

"I know it's not. He didn't get his way so the only way to try and discredit us is slander." Mara pushed him away, dropping him back to the bed beside her as she sat up, suddenly realizing something. "That's why you wanted this second honeymoon; as a smoke screen."

"Actually, that's a side benefit." Luke pushed himself up and backed against the headboard as he drew the blanket across his lap. Mara, on the other hand, made no move to cover herself. "And it wasn't one I even considered until Skyes' question before we left. Honestly, I just want you to myself for a while - without the restrictions."

Her lips twitched. "Then we'd better start packing. Our flight reservations are for tomorrow morning at five, we've a few days in transit - a week at most - before we reach our destination."

"And just where are we going?

"The Emperor's home planet," Mara told him without any hint of the familiar sorrow that normally accompanied the man's name. It was there, buried, but dormant. "For all it bred him, the place is a paradise - and peaceful; it's a backwater that's remained uncharted by many thanks it to being buried in the Imperial records and having been wiped from the star charts... and it meets all your requirements."

"Our requirements." She didn't answer, but a smile curved her lips as Luke pushed out of bed and headed for their dresser. "Where do you keep your swim wear?"

"Trop drawer. Still thinking to keep me naked for a few weeks?"

The look he sent her way was full of promise before he turned back to the dresser and a shiver of anticipation slid down her spine. It clearly said that if he had his way, she wouldn't have the choice. Her lips stretched into an almost feral grin, letting him feel how she felt about the matter - and his involvement.

Luke, having turned from the dresser, stumbled towards the closet as the image bloomed in his mind. "Is that a promise?"

"If you'd like."

Coy, seductive Mara was almost as dangerous as determined and deadly Mara. Luke coughed, catching a couple of hints for their upcoming trip from her mind. "So... do you want

19. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    Are you going to continue this story at all, or is this the end of this storyline? I think a short story of their honeymoon would be a good read.

Overall a very good story that was very enjoyable. Sad to see it end, but it did end on a good note. Until next time.

20. Jedimaster_JainaSolo

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2003
    =D==D==D=

Bravo!! That was amazing! I absolutely loved every minute of it!

[face_cowboy]Dana[face_cowboy]

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I am going to miss this! But I loved it! Congratulations on finishing and thank you so much for the sweetness, the humor, the off the chain mush throughout!

Your L&M is among the best I've read! Very insightful, snarky, loving by turns. :) :)

Favorite line: Unspoken or not, they were a conscious thing, one she'd made sure he understood - and one he proceeded to let her prove.

That works in Human/Vulcan love bonds too--and it's part of the indescribable beauty. :D :D [face_love]

Huggles and squee! Squee! [face_dancing]

22. IceFire27

IceFire27 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2007
    What a wonderful ending.[face_dancing]
    I've enjoyed the ride from the beginning, so this was also bitter sweet. :_|
    You chose a great way to end this, yet give yourself elsewhere to go if you so choose.
    Thank you. =D= @};- =D=

23. barriss31

barriss31 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    This was a beautiful story. Sad to see it end but thoroughly enjoyed it!

24. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Delurks...very nice ending and can't wait to see what your next project is.

25. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    I'm in the process of writing a short Vig that ties back to this story for the "Monday Mush Mania" in December; I couldn't resist with where I left this off - so no, it's not the end of the story line, but it practically is :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.