Beyond - Legends Hand of the Empress {Your Father's Fate/The True Nature of the Force} Completed 8/31

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tych_sel, Dec 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Tych_sel Jedi Master

star 4
    I've just decided to begin a new fic, and my second in deliberately creating an AU. All the film and novel characters, as usual, remain the property of their original creators.

Story type: AU
    Time period: Immediately after RotJ
    Characters: Luke, Leia, Han, Mara, Palpy, Isard...
    Summary: What might have happened had Vader been killed aboard the Death Star, leaving Luke in the hands of the Emperor?

And off we go!

Hand of the Empress I: Your Father's Fate

"Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor, or suffer your father's fate you will." - Yoda

The green blade came down, again and again, until finally, there wasn't sufficient strength in Vader's hand to block the blows. The blade sliced through, sending Vader's mechanical hand, and the lightsaber it gripped, tumbling down into unknown deaths. Luke Skywalker brought the blade to his father's throat, then turned as he heard the sound of applause, and laughter coming from behind him. He turned to see Emperor Palpatine making his way down the stairs from his throne.

"Good, good. Your hate has made you powerful. Now, take your father's place at my side."

Luke looked at the wiring extending from Vader's wrist, and then at his own mechanical hand, replacing the one he'd lost in his duel with Vader at Cloud City. He'd already begun a transformation of his own. He turned, shutting down the lightsaber, and tossing it to the side.

"You've failed, your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Palpatine paused, as if considering the response. "So be it, Jedi." He raised his hands, and blue-white lightning leapt from his fingertips, slamming into Luke's chest and throwing him to the ground. The pain was excruciating, and it took all of Luke's control not to scream. The Emperor moved closer, the lightning continuing to play over Luke's body. "Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side." The lightning, which Luke had been able to repel at first, now surrounded him, pain shooting through his body as the lightning coursed over his body.

Catching sight of Vader, who had risen and dragged himself to stand beside the man who had once been the Senator from Naboo, Luke cried out. "Father, please!" The plea seemed to have no effect on Vader, as he took no action.

The Emperor, leering over Luke, ceased the assault. "Now, young Skywalker, you will die." The lightning again erupted from Palpatine's hands, and it seemed as though he would make good on his statement.

Then Luke, through the haze of pain, felt a slight shift in Vader's sense. The Emperor must have noticed as well, for one hand turned from Luke, sending a blaze of lightning directly at Vader. Vader staggered back, the electricity overloading many of the systems that kept his body functioning. In that moment, Luke heard Vader's voice in his mind. I am sorry, my son. Vader collapsed, vital systems shutting down.

The Emperor had turned his attention back to Luke. "You will serve me, young Skywalker, as your father did." Then a blaze of lightning took Luke into oblivion.

++++++++++++

That's it for now. I hope to have some more up soon!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel
  2. PadmeLeiaJaina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh oh- Luke's going to join Palpatine? Or did he die too? Inquiring minds want to know ;)
  3. Captain_Tych Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Inquiring minds, huh? Guess I'll have to answer that question for ya, PLJ.

A quartet of Royal Guards surrounded the Emperor as he made his way from the throne room to the shuttlebay in which his shuttle stood waiting. Following the small group were two more Guardsmen, and slumped between them, his hands manacled, hung an unconscious Luke Skywalker.

None of the guards knew what had gone on in the throne room, only that Darth Vader had apparently turned on his master. The shaking of the Death Star was enough to get them to urge the Emperor to abandon the station, lest he die aboard it. "The Rebels will indeed destroy this station. But they will lose their greatest weapon in the process."

The shuttlebay was already showing signs of the Death Star's impending destruction, as scaffolding, once secure, was tumbling to the deck. The guard leading the procession shoved officers and enlisted men out of the way, clearing a path for the Emperor. Upon reaching the shuttle, he stepped aside, urging the Emperor aboard, then made his way to the cockpit, starting up the engines as his fellow Guardsmen boarded, along with the prisoner. A second Guardsman joined him in the cockpit once all were aboard, and the shuttle rose from the deck, turned, and glided out of the bay, even as the fire of an explosion poured into the bay.

As the shuttle soared away from the Death Star, the guard calculated a course for Imperial Center. Once the coordinates had been laid in, the shuttle made the jump into hyperspace. As it did so, a fireball consumed the Death Star. The Rebels would likely assume that the Emperor had been killed along with the station. Behind the faceplate of his helmet, the guard smiled. They would have their celebration, until the transmission from Coruscant showed that the Emperor was, in fact, alive.

++++++++++++

You'll be seeing a return to a familiar scene in the next post, though things will have changed...

Force be with you,

Tych_sel
  4. PadmeLeiaJaina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh no. No New Republic this time around. Unless Luke's able to trick the Emperor into thinking he's turned, but really, he hasn't [face_mischief]

(hint hint) [face_mischief]
  5. Yodaminch Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Bah PLJ: I'm sick of the good endings. Let's see a bad luke for once. Very nice. Now to add this to topic notification so I'll remember it.
  6. Tych_sel Jedi Master

star 4
    I think you're right to say that the existence of the NR seems to be in jeopardy, PLJ. As for Luke, I think he'll find it hard to fool the Emperor.

So you want to see Luke turn, eh, yoda? I begin to understand why you're connected with Slytherin.

The shock wave of the Death Star?s explosion passed through the forest moon, shaking the ground slightly, and drawing the attention of Han Solo and Leia Organa. Both looked to the sky, where the cloud of gas left from the battlestation?s destruction hung.

?I?m sure Luke wasn?t on that thing when it blew,? Han said, as though to reassure Leia.

She paused for a moment. ?He wasn?t.?

?You love him,? Han said, his mouth a straight line. ?Don?t you??

?Of course I do,? Leia said. She could read the confusion on Han?s face. ?It?s not what you think,? she continued, before Han could say something that he might regret later. ?He?s my brother,? she said, smiling. Then, the smile vanished. ?Han, Luke?s in danger.?

?I thought you said he got out of there.?

?He did but?Han, I think we missed the Emperor.?

?I thought Luke was going to see that Palpatine was busy.?

?I guess he was wrong,? Leia said. ?We have to get this information to Mon Mothma. If the Emperor?s still alive??

?It?s not going to take him long to retaliate.?

++++++++++++

That's all for now. More might be coming tomorrow, but if not, look for something Friday.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel
  7. Yodaminch Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Very nice. Leia certainly is talented in the force to know they missed him.
  8. Captain_Tych Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Well, she is Skywalker's daughter, yoda. And I always think of Leia as being a little stronger in the Force than she lets on.

More to come tomorrow, I think!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel
  9. Fireyforce Jedi Padawan

star 4
    There had better be more to come. No leaveing Luke like that. *glares at Emperor* Save him Leia and Han must. Write more soon you will.

Fireyforce
  10. Captain_Tych Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Welcome, Fireyforce. You'll see a bit more of Luke today. As for Han and Leia, well, you'll see soon (though not today) that they're going to run into some problems.

But for now, let's check back in on Luke.

The shuttle emerged from hyperspace and quickly received clearance to land. After all, no officer in the Imperial Fleet would be stupid enough to force the Emperor to wait. Such an act would all but guarantee either a quick death, or reassignment to one of the Outer Rim worlds such as Tatooine. The shuttle dropped through the overlapping shields that protected the Imperial capital, and descended towards the Imperial Palace.

?It should only take a moment longer, my lord,? the Guardsman piloting the shuttle stated.

?Then be quick about it,? Palpatine snapped. ?All is prepared as I requested??

?It is,? the Guardsman replied. Any officer would know that a ?request? from the Emperor was really a command, and not to be disobeyed. The Guardsman focused on his flying, setting the shuttle down with a mild thump on the landing pad designated solely for the Emperor. The ramp lowered with a hiss, and he could hear the tap of the Emperor?s walking stick. It would seem that hauling the prisoner into the Palace would fall to him.
    He met the Guardsman who had served as his copilot in the rear of the cabin, and the two shouldered the burden of the young man. He wondered what the prisoner had done to deserve such special attention from the Emperor, but it wasn?t his place to question the order.

Two additional Royal Guards waited inside, or so the Guardsman guessed. They were attired as stormtroopers, but something about their posture said that they were more than the usual grunts seen on so many worlds throughout the Empire. ?The cell is this way,? the one on the left said. ?The engineers weren?t happy about the work. They claimed that they needed more knowledge about the prisoner.?

?They should be happy that they got away with their lives. Any more information and I would guess the Emperor would have had them executed,? the Guardsman stated. ?Open the door,? he said to one of the waiting troopers.

The door hissed open on what might have been living quarters at one point, though the furnishings inside were now sparse. The original ceiling had been removed, replaced with what appeared to be a mirror, though the Guardsman guessed it actually was only a screen. The two deposited the body, and left the room. The door shut, and the Guardsman heard the lock click.

++++++++++++

Ysanne Isard stood at the edge of what had once been the floor above the cell into which the Guardsmen had deposited Luke Skywalker. Now, what had been the ceiling of the cell was a one-way window, with Skywalker on the opaque side. The tapping of his cane signaled the approach of the Emperor, and Ysanne dropped to one knee before him.

?Rise,? he said, as though distracted. ?You do not agree with my actions regarding young Skywalker.?

?I don?t,? Ysanne said, her mismatched red and blue eyes flashing with emotion. ?I would have simply killed him.?

?Kill the Jedi, and the Rebels will make a martyr out of him. Turn him, and their greatest advantage becomes their greatest weakness.?

?How do you know they will not believe him dead??

?His sister will have sensed that he is still alive. You may count on that, my dear.?

?Then you are planning to use him as bait, to draw the Rebels here.?

?They will come eventually, as they must. Imperial Center is the focus of my power, and they cannot continue as they have been. They will come here, seeking both to depose me and rescue Skywalker. Instead, they will find themselves caught in a web from which they will not escape.?

?You know that he will fight you.?

?At first. I would expect nothing less of one who is the son of Anakin Skywalker. But eventually, young Skywalker will learn to serve, and when he does, his conversion will be as complete, if not more so, than that of his father.?

?I would like the chance to break him
  11. Yodaminch Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Nice to see Isaard in the story. One wonders what "tool" the emperor is talking about
  12. Wisdom Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Whatever tool...if it is worse than the evil woman...well. I wouldn't want to be Luke.

Wisdom
  13. Captain_Tych Jedi Youngling

star 1
    So you liked seeing Isard, yoda? She'll be making appearaces throughout the fic, or at least, that's what I'm hoping for at the moment. As for the Emperor's "tool", I haven't gotten the introduction quite right.

Welcome, Wisdom. Since I presume that Isard is the evil woman you refer to, the "tool" is just as dangerous, if not more so. Hope you'll keep following this!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel
  14. Tych_sel Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's a quick little postie just to tide everybody over until I can update again tomorrow.

Luke awoke slowly, finding that if he thought he?d felt bad after the duel with Vader at Bespin, he felt far worse now. He?d never seen a display of pure Force power like that displayed by the Emperor. Yoda had warned him not to underestimate the Emperor?s abilities, yet Luke had been lured in by the Emperor?s appearance.

I won?t make that mistake again, he thought, getting up on one elbow and looking around the room. There wasn?t much. He saw a chair, a bed, and a pair of doors. The walls were smooth, and Luke guessed that the ceiling wasn?t what it appeared to be. There wasn?t a window in the place, which led Luke to believe that he was either underground, or else he was in a place where windows would have been a danger. One of the doors would almost certainly be locked. He got slowly to his feet, trying to force the residual pain from the Emperor?s attack aside. One of the doors led to a ?fresher, while the other was, as Luke had guessed, locked.

Luke examined the wall, noticing that some work had been done there. A hasty patch was nothing to a Jedi, and the plaster came free with just a little bit of effort. Luke guessed that there had been a switch to the door on this side as well, but it had been removed. So this wasn?t originally a prison, he thought. Which means there may be a way out that the Imperials hadn?t thought of.

++++++++++++

Force be with you,

Tych_sel
  15. Tych_sel Jedi Master

star 4
    No replies? Guess I'll just have to post again, though I don't know if I'll post again on Sunday if there aren't any replies by then.

?You?re saying that we went through all that and still missed the Emperor?? Lando asked. ?I nearly got killed trying to destroy that station.?

?And knocked off parts of my ship doing so,? Han said, not resisting the urge to give Lando a hard time, despite the current situation. ?We all worked to try and take out the Emperor.?

?The important thing is that he has been unable to complete another Death Star,? Mon Mothma said. ?We must not lose sight of the fact that this was a victory.?

?A costly one,? Admiral Ackbar grunted. ?The loss of several Star cruisers, as well as the fighters that did not survive the flight through the superstructure?and now you believe Commander Skywalker is lost as well??

?I don?t know,? Leia said, for the first time since dropping the bombshell that had started this conversation. ?Luke thought that he could turn Vader back to the way of the Jedi. That was why he felt that he had to confront Vader.?

?And now he has fallen captive to the Empire,? Madine said. ?We might reconsider where we relocate. Commander Skywalker has a vast knowledge of the Alliance?s structure.?

?Luke would never willingly betray the Alliance,? Leia said, a little angry that Madine would even suggest such a thing.

?I?m not saying that he would, Princess. But we all know the Empire?s ability when it comes to coercion, you probably better than most. We cannot afford to take the risk of our leaders being apprehended based on information given to the Empire by Commander Skywalker.?

?Is there anything that we can do to help the kid?? Han asked. ?If you?re so worried about Luke giving up information, wouldn?t the best thing be to get him away from the Imps??

?General Solo, there are two problems. We don?t know where they?ve taken him??

?He?s probably wherever the Emperor is,? Han said. ?And you know that Palpatine has to make a public statement to prove that he?s still alive.?

?That probably means Commander Skywalker is either on or en route to Coruscant,? Ackbar stated.

?That?s where I?d put my money,? Lando said. ?He?ll want to make sure that he?s got all the trappings of power around him, so that nobody can say that it?s a fake.?

?Getting a team into Coruscant isn?t going to be easy,? Madine said. ?Getting into the Imperial Palace would be even less so, if not downright impossible.?

?What about the Bothan spynet?? Han asked. ?Surely they?ve got connections on Coruscant.?

?My people have, unfortunately, been unable to keep an agent on Coruscant,? Borsk Fey?lya said, his cream-colored fur rippling. ?Even if we could, my guess is that the success would be limited.?

?We can?t just leave him there,? Leia argued.

?Of course we can?t, Leia. But it would force the Emperor?s hand for us to strike too soon,? Mon Mothma said. ?Whatever we do will require planning and time.?

++++++++++++

You'll get the first glimpse of Palpy's tool in the next post.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel
  16. The_Good_Twin Jedi Youngling

star 2
    ...though I don't know if I'll post again on Sunday if there aren't any replies by then.

*jumps up and down*
    "Here, here, it's a reply!!" ;)

I really like this story and would like to read more of it! :)

Although I never read a X-Wing book and so know Isard only by fanfiction, I really like it that you put her in this story!

Mmh, and I think I know 'what' the tool is! ;) :D

:D :D :D
  17. Yodaminch Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Let's see that tool already.
  18. Tych_sel Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice to see you, The_Good_Twin, and glad you've found this enjoyable. If you haven't read the X-Wing books, you'll probably wind up hating Isard by the end of the fic. (Though you'll probably want more of her even so. In that case, pick up any of Stackpole's X-Wing books. He's up there with Zahn IMHO)

Patience, yoda. A Jedi acts when he is calm...at peace...passive. :D

Given the two replies, I'll try and get something up tomorrow. Though if not, something will be up Monday. Count on it.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel
  19. Tych_sel Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, here's the post that I promised.

Luke had allowed himself to slip into a healing trance, hoping to mend the wounds the Emperor had inflicted. After all, it wasn?t as though he had a whole lot of options from which to choose. When he came out of it, he felt better, though a full bacta treatment might be required to full heal him. He also discovered that he?d had a visitor while he?d been in the trance, as clean clothes lay on the chair.

He picked them up, examining the cut. Something about them seemed Imperial to him. Not that it was that big a surprise, given that he was probably on Coruscant. He headed into the other room, and showered, then changed into the clothes. They consisted of a long sleeved top and loose black pants. Luke opted to put his own boots back on, and tucked the ends of the pant legs into the top of the high boots. He turned as he heard the lock click, and the door opened.

?Good to see that you?ve finally awakened, my young apprentice,? Palpatine said. ?I was hoping that you hadn?t suffered too much.?

?I think it?s going to take more than that to kill me,? Luke said. ?And I?d guess, based on the fact that I?m still alive, that such an act is not your intention.?

?Very good, young Skywalker. You indeed have your father?s insight. Soon, you will take his place.?

?I told you before, I won?t join you.?

?That remains to be seen. As we speak, Imperial Intelligence is rooting out the last of the Rebels, including your friends. Once I have them, they will be publicly executed. Of course, certain factors might encourage me to be merciful.?

?That?s no choice,? Luke said. ?And I don?t see why I should believe you.?

?You can choose not to take me at my word, young Skywalker. But if you do, you will sentence your sister to certain death. Her fate is now in your hands.?
    Luke considered the situation. Could he live with himself if he called the Emperor?s bluff, and it turned out not to have been one? Could he live with himself, knowing he?d been responsible for Leia?s death?

Palpatine could see the emotions moving across Skywalker?s face, and all but tasted victory. ?You have been well trained in the Jedi arts. But your training remains incomplete. Before you can serve me, that missing education must be completed. And your instructor is ready to begin.? Palpatine turned, his attention on someone outside the room. ?You may enter, my dear.?

The light glinted off the fiery hair of the woman who entered the cell. She was dressed in a formfitting jumpsuit, though Luke guessed she?d be comfortable in almost anything. He also had the distinct impression he?d seen her before, though he couldn?t place her face. The ice in her green eyes matched the impression he got through the Force. She obviously knew him. And hated him.

++++++++++++

That's it for now. More Han and Leia to come next time.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel
  20. Captain_Tych Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Here's just a little more!

"I can't simply sit by and wait," Leia said, pacing the lounge aboard the Falcon. She'd been doing it for the last ten minutes, and Han was on the verge of having Chewie pick her up, and strap her down to one of the chairs.

"I don't think that this is a good idea, Princess. I think this may actually be one time when acting on your emotions isn't a good thing." Han was hoping that the idea might get Leia to listen.

"Han, if it weren't for Luke, you might still be frozen in carbonite! Doesn't that mean anything to you?"

"Look, it isn't as though I don't understand what Luke's done for me. But rushing into Coruscant and getting caught isn't going to do him any good."

"Who said anything about getting caught?"

"Leia, in case you haven't noticed, there's a price on your head. And if anything goes wrong, are you willing to risk further injury? You know that arm isn't fully healed."

"Then what would you suggest we do?"

"Wait. Give the Alliance some time to work things out. The, if they won't go in and get Luke out, I'll take the Falcon in and get him out myself.
    "There's a price on your head too, laserbrains."

"Yeah, but they'll be looking for Han Solo, not Jenos Idanian."

"A human male and a Wookiee. That isn't likely to ring some bells?"

"They'll be looking for Han and Chewie," Lando said, making his way into the lounge. He'd been up on top of the Falcon, checking to see what other damage he'd incurred flying the beaten-up freighter down the gullet of the Death Star. "Instead, It'll be me and Chewie. It'll be just like Tatooine."

"I doubt there's much on Coruscant that'll remind you of Tatooine. Luke wasn't kidding about Tatooine being about as far from the center of the galaxy as possible."

"Besides, it'll give me a chance to do some real gambling," Lando said. "Gambling that doesn't involve getting shot at."

++++++++++++

More "Iceheart" to come in the next post.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel
  21. Yodaminch Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    So Mara's joined the party. And nice anagram of Indiana Jones. Great posts.
  22. Captain_Tych Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Yup, yoda, Mara's joining the party. You didn't think I'd leave her out, did you? As for Jenos, I wish I could take credit for that. But the name is a creation of A.C. Crispin, from her Han Solo Trilogy.
  23. Tych_sel Jedi Master

star 4
    And here's the next lottle postie for you to peruse.

Ysanne Isard pored over the data on the Rebel movements over the last day. Most of the ships were still in the Endor system. The Rebels were likely mourning their dead, and licking their wounds after driving the Imperial Fleet from the system.

He's making a mistake, she thought. Bringing Skywalker to Coruscant only offered a distraction. Granted, the Emperor could easily keep Skywalker under control, but that would divert his attention from the real problem. As always though, the Emperor had his mind on the Jedi. And with what might be the last trained Jedi, the opportunity was too good for him to pass it up.

He should be focusing on the Rebellion. They've always been more organized than he thought. He should be searching for a way to split them, and make them turn on each other. Once the Alliance fell apart, it would be easier to restore order. That was, in her opinion, where the Emperor's concentration should be. Once the Alliance was dead, he could toy with the young Jedi all he wanted.

Of course, she could always take matters into her own hands. Perhaps the time had come to reveal that there was dissention in the ranks. Showing the Emperor that some here on Coruscant, Sate Pestage for example, disagreed with him might be enough to snap his attention back to the proper course. It would put her neck on the line, though, and she still needed more evidence, before she could go before Palpatine. At least, she would if she wanted to go after Pestage. Pestage had served the Emperor when Palpatine had been a sector senator, and remained during his rise to power. Pestage would not be easily removed. But then, Isard had never been one to back away from a challenge.

++++++++++++

I know, it's not long. First L/M scene to come tomorrow, I think.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel
  24. Tych_sel Jedi Master

star 4
    I promised you a Luke/Mara scene, and here it is!

Luke stared in shock. He didn?t recognize the woman, yet he could feel the hate flowing through her. And it seemed that most of it was directed at him.

?Allow me to introduce Mara Jade,? Palpatine said, obviously pleased with the tension that seemed to be building in the room. ?She will be responsible for training you in some of the more?useful applications of the Force. And perhaps you can teach her something as well. Remember, my young apprentice, that your sister?s life depends on how well you serve me.? Palpatine exited the room, and the door slid shut.

?Let?s get one thing clear, Skywalker,? Mara said, sitting down. ?The only reason I?m here is because the Emperor thinks you may be of use to him. Don?t ever think that there?s anything more to it than that.?

?What made you like this?? Luke asked. Given that she was apparently Force-sensitive, there was some explanation for the fact that he was able to sense the hate so clearly. ?When have we met before??

?We didn?t actually meet. I was dancing at Jabba?s Palace the day that you came for Solo.?

Luke considered the statement. What purpose would one who served the Emperor have dancing in a place like that? The answer came to him in a moment. ?You were sent to capture me, so that the Emperor could turn me.?

?No, that wasn?t it at all. My master sent me to Jabba?s to kill you.?

?I thought the Emperor wanted Vader to turn me.?

?The Emperor knew about Vader?s offer of alliance. He knew that if you were out of the way, Vader?s loyalty would once again be unquestioned.?

?And when I killed the Rancor??

?You denied me the opportunity to finish the job. That was the first time I?d failed him. Skywalker. The first time since he found me and made me his hand. I don?t for an instant think you deserve the opportunity he?s giving you.?

?And I don?t want the ?opportunity.? But it?s not as if I have a choice.?

?No, you don?t. And neither do I.? She was suddenly all business. ?What do you know about masking your Force signature??

?I know a little bit, but??

?Then that?s where we?ll start. You won?t be of any use to the Emperor if somebody picks up on you.?

++++++++++++

That's it for now.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel
  25. kayladie97 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey!

I had read this story earlier and I thought I replied! Guess I didn't...hmm, working too hard, that must be it. ;)

This is shaping up to be a great story so far. I don't know much about Isard either, but it looks as though she's not quite as loyal as Palpatine thinks.

I love any story with Luke and Mara in it! I can't wait to see how the relationship between them develops in this story! :D

More soon!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.