main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW Handball Tournament 07

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Sai-Mera_Saa, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sai-Mera_Saa

Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    Hello again. I'm back attempting to play organising-person. I have no idea why.

So anyway, after the (partial) success of laser tag, I've decided to organise a handball tournament. (And no, Shad will not be allowed to wear a vest lest it tries to cheat again.)

Because it's late and I'm sleep deprived (see above), I will not try to think hard enough to propose dates or venues tonight. However, I'm aiming for early March, so that should give me enough time to be more semi-organised than last time.

What I'm looking for at the moment, is (you guessed it) expressions of interest from those who might want to participate in a handball tourney on a Sunday (yes, that said Sunday) in the first half of March, probably in the North West of Sydney. This will not cost money or require you to wear closed toe shoes, but you will still have the opportunity to beat Shad at something, so it should be easy to sign up.

I ask for expressions of interest, not because I just happen to like doing that sort of thing, but because I'd like to know if people can a) make a sunday meet and b) be bothered to come to something that isn't in the city or the shire.

Thank you for once again indulging my attempts at being organised. Stay tuned, more details to come.

2. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Shire? You're laying handball at the base of Mount Doom?! :p

3. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    He said something that isn't in the city or Shire! :p

And we like playing things.

I'm interested, Sai.

4. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    Dude, like u even have to ask!

5. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    We had meets in the Shire? Nobody told me! :(

6. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    Oh I'll be there. You better bring it.

7. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    I'm interested, of course! :D But 50/50 as to whether I can. It's on a Sunday, so unless I get a better job between no and then (a possibility) then I would be a no. So put me down as a maybe-yes. ;)

8. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    Oh I'll bring it Slavey.

That's a yes.

9. hollyinlowercase

hollyinlowercase Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2006
    Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Telpefac

Telpefac Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 5, 2002
    I couldn't have put it better myself..

unless..........

Are we talking handball, with tennis balls, perhaps against a wall? What about with 'lines' and 'pickups' and 'service'??

11. Sai-Mera_Saa

Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    Awesome! I shall go research somewhere good to play, what sort of tennis ball we can use, what the prize for winning shall be and whether Tel's hair qualifies for entry.

If anyone has any suggestions for what style tournament it could be, feel free to post them. I have an idea of what I want to do already, but suggestions are always welcome.

I shall post more info in a few days when I've done that research. I'll get Tyi to change the thread title, so you will be alerted.

Cheers

12. mle

mle Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2003
    Ah, the pleasures of handball. Where exaclty in the north west of sydney were you thinking? Im spatially retarded and theres a high chance ill get lost even thinking about it unless theres a train stn nearby. But otherwise im in. Any chance to remind Shad who the young and agile ones are.

And as for the rules, its my opinion that whatever they officially are they should be refered to in the same way they were in primary school (or in my case third year uni).

IE lines=linsies rolls=rollsies and so on and so forth.

I liked the random way we picked the winner at hyde park last time where it was whoever was in the top spot when the clock struck 3;15 was the winner. That too seems very primary school, and then it gets tactical. :)

13. Telpefac

Dec 5, 2002
    We definately have to incorporate headers in. They were the go in my professional days. In case you don't know, you have to hit it over the line on the full with your head.

Oh and rebounds... and challanges must be enforced

I think you mean "Using Tel's hair as the bar for qualification"

irregardless of it being a bar that is several feet below ground and virtually impossible to get under

14. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    There is no 'rolls' in handball!

15. JediMasterKieca

JediMasterKieca Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I'll attend if I'm allowed to heckle.

I can be the official handball heckler.
    It'll motivate people.

Honest.

16. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    hmm, heckling sounds entertaining. I haven't played this game in years!

17. Telpefac

Dec 5, 2002
    BRING IT ON!!! LOCK AND LOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Why is everything north or west these days?

Time for something south for once!

19. hollyinlowercase

Oct 13, 2006
    Fine! North-south-west-east it is! Everyone knows the place right? [face_laugh]
    Ummm...
    There was no rolls. Rolls, you're out. Unless when it rolls, then it is a duel between those two people?
    Jeeze, handball was one of my fave memories from school!!

20. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    Yep, we should have strict rules. No rolls, only "interference"...I think that's the only one we should use, because if I get attacked by a rabid bee or dancing robot while I'm in King I won't be that impressed! ;)

21. Iron_Hand

Iron_Hand Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    Its great to see interest revived in the H.A.M. slam championship for 2007! We're lookin forward to a top season of action!

As for rules, it greatly depends on the court on which u play. On a traditional 4 square court, the person who is in King at the end of the match is the winner. Some other types of games can be won by gaining he most points. It all depends on your style of play.

Rolls is always out. Lines is do again. a full is out. doubles is out. outside the court is out. Rebounds is ok but must be agreed upon by all members of the game.

Hope thats helped fellow players. I, for one, amd glad to se the Samurai has restarted interest in the nobelest of sporting endevours here on FFNSW once more!

Till next time, this is Iron hand signing off and saying "Good game....and nice balls!"

22. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    or Rapid, Dancing Bee-Robots? From Outer Space? Under the command of Mecha-Hitler and his Nazi Space-Demons from Mars Hell*?

or what about a clown on a scooter? That could be pretty distracting and/or interfering.

*It's different from Earth Hell.

23. Detonating-Rabbit

May 23, 2003
    I so see where you're coming from! :D :oops:

I for one will be more than happy to once again take up the court as Shorpedo, the once-dead-but-revived-himself-for-the-sake-of-handball guy! :confused:

Okay, so I don't quite remember my own backstory, but hey? What're you going to do?

Signing off...for now!

~ The Shorpedo

24. TheSurgeon

TheSurgeon Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2005
    The Surgeon is ready to dissect this game.

25. hollyinlowercase

Oct 13, 2006
    how is it that all these people have randomly come back who i have never heard of before just at the mention of handball?
    surgeon, and iron hand....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.