main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Handmaiden Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    LOL, I am glad you are all talking about the EpI battle outfit, because that is on my list, too!

I'm most worried about attaching the skirt... from the pictures & the film, it looks as if the entire front is open, showing the pants. Where does the skirt attach, at the underarm seam? Or is it at the CF and it is folded back & attached, somehow?

Has anyone seen any of Trish's sketches for this?

And is anyone else interpreting the skirt lining as a dark magenta/pink?

(A whole army of HMs at Celebration III! :D :D :D )

--Renata

PS -- is there a thread discussing Ami's EpII rainbow dress? That's on a friend's wish list...

2. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Check out the sticky thread at the top of the forum;) It lists all the main threads and there should be one listed for the Lake (Rainbow) dress:)

3. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    I made my skirt come about five inches around the front on either side, measured from the side seam of the top section. I'm thinking of adding another panel to my skirt to make it fuller and then gather the waist and either sew it directly to the top or make it attachable on the waistband with hook and eyes, I'm guessing the colour inside the skirt is kindof hot pink, it's so hard tell, what i'm not sure of is to make the top underneath a maroon or pink to match the lining. I'm trying to find a belt to go with this as well, I haven't seen any with the right kind of buckle even at the western store. liann

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm planning on doing this as a coat, so that I will attach the skirt to the bodice, I'm also planning that if I get the time I will make a winter coat with this pattern. A winter HM. ;)

5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey Renata! :)

Here are a couple links to the concept sketches for the battle costume:

First sketch

Second sketch

And here's the link to our 'rainbow dress' thread: clickie. ;)

6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I KNEW I could count on you all! [face_love]

*runs off to check them out*

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Renata, I just realized the links to the sketches I gave you are really small versions. You can find much larger versions of them at The Padawan's Guide page devoted to this costume:

Battle Costume ;)

8. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    GAH!! I could swear that this was discussed in this thread, but now I can't find it, and I'm too tired to dig through the Amidala Gowns thread.

Okay, my question is about getting symbols imprinted on the velvet (see maroon Pre-Senate cloak and green celebration dress from Ep. 1).

Was it a wooden piece (stamp, die cut, whatever) that was placed under the velvet, and then the velvet ironed to get the imprint?

Oh, and my frazzled nerves were blessed last year when my friend decided to NOT do her wedding at ComicCon, and instead go for a traditional wedding in a relative's backyard. So, unfortunately, no handmaiden gowns were done - although I did get the silk dyed and pleated - and it looked amazing (and still does since I haven't done anything with it yet).

9. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I remember that conversation too. I'll look around and see if I can find it for you because I don't remember the details of it either.... :)

10. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
  11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    You the girl, girlie. :)

12. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    YAY!!! Thank you sg!! :D That's exactly what I was looking for!

13. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Well I was dressed up as AOTC Padmé this weekend, but I brought a TPM handmaiden with me. She's simply wearing a very dark blue cape that we attached a gold ribbon to, to make it resemble the TPM senate outfit. We actually got a lot of costumes like "there's Amidala with a handmaiden", even if I doubt that they recognised the exact costume.

Me, my jedi guardian and my handmaiden Since she helped me a lot with my hair we decided that it was Rabé.

I think this is the best reference shot of the costume.

14. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Okay, since I recently asked about embossing velvet, I've gotten a wild-hare about giving it a shot. I'm actually using the technique for embossing velvet tarot-card bags (or gaming dice bags, or whatever someone wants a velvet bag for ;) ). Anyway, I found a rubber-stamp company that will do custom stamps. Granted, having the stamp made is a bit pricey ($17 U.S. for a 2"x2" stamp), but they're nice high-quality heat-resistant stamps and most definitely worth the price if you NEED a specific design (**hint hint** **cough**).

Here's the company:
    Purrfection Artistic Wearables

Click on "stamps" in their menu, and then scroll to the bottom of the page for the "Custom Stamps" link and info.

:D

Obi-Anne, that looks fantastic!! I'm surprised she had the guts to do that particular handmaiden costume - that's one of the most "mysterious" and hard-to-find-references-for costumes I've ever researched. Nice work!!

15. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Great link kreleia, thanks! Beats making it myself imperfectly and probably spending the same amount!

16. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    kreleia, I don't think those prices are the least bit unreasonable -- FABULOUS find, missy!

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    kreleia, it is just a blue robe that we tacked some gold ribbon on, we talked about maybe upgrading it to a more accurate costume sometime though.

18. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    I have a question...does anyone know what the Flame Dress is made out of? It looks shinny in one picture I have of it but then not shinny in another!

19. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    I believe it's made out of silk velvet. At least, that's how it looks to me. I am no expert! :) Anyway, the nap would photograph differently, which is why it would have a sheen in some photos and not in others.

20. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I've officially started on my battle outfit now, or rather I've put up a site where I will put my progress.

I'm so out of money this week but hopefully I will be able to buy the pattern and some muslin start testing next week.

21. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    I finished perfecting my mock up yesterday and started on the good version today. I have all the lining pieces sewn together, I put a pocket on the inside of the jacket lining to carry money etc in. I am just cutting out the velvet, unfortunatly my velvet is not wide enough to cut the sleeves out in one piece so I have to cut out two half cirles for each sleeve and sew them together. I just have to cut out the skirt pieces then i can finish sewing it all together. I haven't attempted any work on the pants yet, I'll get the coat done then start a mockup for the pants. I'm still looking for ribbon to trim the outfit with so I won't be able to completely sew my skirt together till I get the ribbon for the inside of the skirt.

22. Ame_V

Ame_V Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2004
    I am planning on making the flame handmaiden gown for my Padme doll out of pale yellow velour that will hopefully dye nicely in orange gradients. But I'm wondering, should I dye the fabric first, or sew the gown together and then dye it finished? Any thoughts?

23. Jediwoman

Jediwoman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    Well, I know for the actual costume, it is best to sew it together first and then dye it, so the dye on the sleeves matches the dye on the dress. I've made the costume and that's what I had to do in order to get the right affect.

However, I know nothing about making dolls dresses or what would be involved. But that was just my thought. :)

-Tanya

24. Ame_V

Ame_V Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2004
    Ok, this may have already been discussed on this thread or another one, but I don't have time to go hunting for it. But if I am going to sew the flame gown (for a doll) and then dye it, it has to hang upside down so the bottom (really the top) sits in the red/orange dye, correct? My question is, how do I keep the sleeves from falling into the dye, since they are rather long? Safety pins? Suggestions, anyone?
    -Ame

25. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    I would actually baste the sleeves gently to the body of the dress -- just big tacking stitches that can easily be removed later. That way, if dye creeps up the sleeve, you won't get any funny safety-pin or clothespin shaped irregularities in the ombre effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.