main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Handmaiden Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Hmm, okay... I do love that yellow gown, lol. :p With the maroon battle costume, is the bottom very loose pants or is it a skirt? When I first looked at it, it seemed more like a skirt but now I'm thinking it's more like loose pants and then the top come down farther in the back...

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Neimhaille, so that is what it suppose to be for when I checked out your photo album. :eek: Looking like the try-out if getting along fine. ;)

This outfit is never out of my mind but hopefully it'll be part of the SW Exhibition coming to Singapore so I can examine it further (peeping time!) before attempting to do it. By then, I should have a more stable income so can continue with costuming again on a intense scale! :D

3. DarthSabe

DarthSabe Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2004
    Hey there all. I'm more a ficcer than a costumer in practice, though I frequently gaze longingly at costumes thinking I wish I could make one of those. My favourites are probably the maroon and gold gowns, and I have a question about the latter:

How the heck can they walk in those things?

It is actually a serious question -there's just so much fabric pooling on the floor, I can't quite see how they could manage it. Could there be a split up the front (but then I suppose whenever they stopped they would have to rearrange their skirts), or would they just have to lift the skirt off the floor?

But maybe since these are only designed for two or three scenes, and since these scenes are stationary, it actually isn't possible to walk in them without hitching them up in some manner.

Hmmm . . . [face_thinking]

4. PlayzOboe

PlayzOboe Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    I have a picture of my flame handmaiden costume! Here it is!

[image=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/playzoboe/detail?.dir=/eef3&.dnm=3c6e.jpg&.src=ph]

The dress got a little twisted before the picture was shot...oops!

Sarah

5. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    looks great! i am going to do this costume at some point...if i ever get the nerve to go back to Jo-Anns since i quit (it's a great place to shop, a bull place to work...well after a while it is)

6. Verdaera

Verdaera Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    OOOOOOOOOOOOH, I hear you JediGirl! I worked at JoAnn's for 2 years and they treat you like CRAP! At least my manager did. If you say your manager's name was Linda I'll have a heart attack! I was afraid to go to my store again after I "voluntarily quit" (she didn't schedule me then claimed I quit. I should have reported her.) Luckily I moved. But man I miss the discounts...

Does anybody have a full body shot of that handmaiden outfit from Ep I, the one that was worn by the maiden, "I'm sorry Ani, but Padme's not here right now"?

I should just wait til the book and exhibit to even attempt any more SW costumes...

7. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    thats pretty much what happened to me....yea the discounts were good...the customers too....
    anyway

was this the picture you were looking for?

[image=http://www.royalhandmaidensociety.org/images/handmaiden_id/pre_senate05.jpg]

Royal Handmaidens Society great site!

8. DarthDracona

DarthDracona Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2005
    Hi, I'm new here and I have a few questions to ask, first to say I've always coveted the maroon cloaks of the handmaidens and am thinking of making one for Halloween.
    So if I did would it be really time consuming to make or is it just a cape? If I did wesr it what do you suppose the handmaidens wore underthem, slacks so they could jump into action or dresses to further set of the Her Majesty's majesty.
    Also what are the Green Celebration pictures you've been talking about I don't recall those. Could someone post a picture?

9. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    See the photo above your post? ;) That is what the Handmaiden wore under the Maroon Cloak.

10. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    When I wore my flame handmaiden to C3, I had jeans underneath. Perhaps not the most attractive thing ever, but at least I could get in or out of costume whenever I chose and I had good pockets in which to put my keys. :)

11. Handmaiden_Dorme

Handmaiden_Dorme Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2005
    From what i saw of it i really liked Dorme's nightgown thing in ATOC when she runs in after Obi and Ani when Padme gets attacked. Does anyone have any info on it or photos (or pattern ideas) cause from what i saw it looked like a nightdress with a dressing gown or robe over it.
    any help would appreciated.

12. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Here are a few shots from the outtakes for and from the second assassination scene in AOTC, taken from the RHS site.

Hope those help!

13. Handmaiden_Dorme

Handmaiden_Dorme Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2005
    Thanks these pictures should really help.

Any ideas for patterns?

14. Queen_Apailana

Queen_Apailana Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    If anybody is doing Motee senate I found a great velvet it is 60inches wide but stretch proboly big eniough to make the train.

15. Obsydian

Obsydian Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2005
    EDIT:: I found something, never mind the rest! :)

This is probably a stupid question, but does any website have a list of the outfits and all the known handmaidens? I was digging around through the handmaiden society and didn't find those things exactally. [face_worried] Or maybe I'm just blind.

16. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Hi Obsydian!!

Handmaidens society does have all the known handmaidens, but I'll go ahead and list them out so you don't have to go back and look. It took me a bit to find them too... :)
    ep 1:
    Sabe, Rabe, Eirtae, Sache, Yane and Padme
    Of course padme was queen too... :)
    ep 2:
    Corde, Verse and Dorme.
    Corde and Verse died in the first scene, so only Dorme was seen in the rest of the film.
    ep 3:
    Motee
    Elle

Now as for their costumes, Padawan's guide is a great place for that.
    episode one costumes for handmaidens is here:
    http://padawansguide.com/tpm_handmaidens.shtml

episode two costumes for handmaidens is here:
    http://padawansguide.com/aotc_handmaidens.shtml

and episdoe three costumes for handmaidens is here: For the pictures of the costumes you have to scroll down some.
    http://padawansguide.com/3_handmaidens.shtml

For more views of the costumes, I would use handmaidens society, because they have scene-by-scene captures of the handmaidens with padme.

Merry 10th day of christmas everyone! :)

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
  18. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I had a Handmaiden Fabric Find I thought I should share.

Dorme's AOTC Travel Dress (a.k.a. goodbye dress)

http://www.padawansguide.com/aotc_handmaidens5.shtml

The Diagonal Doubleweave Habotai, 45" at Thai Silks seems awfully darn close to what was used for Dorme's bodice and skirt (if I had known I would have taken a sample to fidm to compare). It only comes in white so it would have to be dyed.

- Kay Dee

19. Princess_Lesa

Princess_Lesa Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    Thanks for the tip. This is on my "maybe someday" list. I love distinctivefabric.com; they have been good to me. Too bad I can't afford anymore fabric right now, but maybe I'll order a swatch.

20. PlayzOboe

PlayzOboe Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    I want to do Moteé but I'm having trouble finding the undershirt fabric...I found Crushed Habotai on Thai Silks, but the problem is they're backordered and they have NO clue when it'll be in stock again...I've looked on Denver Fabrics, Fabrics.com, fashion fabrics, Distinctive fabrics...anyone have any ideas!? Also looking for fabric for the neck decoration...Meanwhile I'm waiting for some samples of the velvet to come in :) I'd like to get this done in time for Dragon*Con

21. Lelundrial

Lelundrial Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2004

Ok this thread has a lot of pages. I clicked on this link, and I get some search page. Is there another place that makes these costumes?

22. a-tastic

a-tastic Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    that is perfect fabric.

i wish more people would make this gown! i made mine years ago, based on what i saw in the movie, before photos with any level of detail were out.
    the embroidery brooch is goregeous...and the weird pockets. it's my favourite handmaiden gown.
    one day, i'll remake it...when i magically find the time. hee hee.

23. Emerald_Beacon

Emerald_Beacon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    I'm hoping this is the right place to post... please don't be mad if I should be asking somewhere else. :)

I'm a semi-novice tailor, and I'd like to try to make a EpI Handmaiden Battle Uniform for my (adult) sister, for her upcomig birthday. I've been trying to find resources online on suggested methods or tips for making these costumes, thus far finding very little beyond the most basic comments. What I have found:

Padawan's Guide Amidala/Handmaiden Battle Uniform photo-reference, with plenty of pictures, though not much detail.
    Butterrick 4051 pattern, with a reasonable pattern to start from.

I'm hoping to make this costume look good, though I'm also trying to stay on a budget. Can anyone give me any advice on where to start, what I'll need, what pitfalls to watch out for, etc?

Thank you in advance for your help!

24. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    Ok I was going to do the gold hainmaiden outfit, till I saw the bottom. I am trying to figure out what they were thinking there. I also like the red one, and the presenate ones. However, I keep looking at the padawansguide site, and don't see what goes underneath the redone. Is it the same dress from the pre-senate one? Also, these colors, that pre-senate looks like a greyish blue velour fabric. But seeing as how I keep seeing 3 different colors with the Barris Offee dress how can I tell which color is right?

25. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    I just need a little help. I have decided I am going to tackle doing the red Handmaiden outfit. Now to me it looks like the design was made using the devore technique, but I saw a pic of someone that did embossing that had it look similar. Which one is it?

As for the dress underneath. It looks like a dark blue satin dress, or is it supposed to be purple?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.