main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Handmaiden Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Emerald_Beacon

that pattern is a great starting point for that costume, thats what i used for mine. i did make some adjustjments to the collar, i did a couple practice mockups till i got it looking the way i wanted. i left a slit on either side of the waist of the jacket for the belt to go through because it appears to be on the outside of the jacket at the back then come underneath at the sides and is underneath in front, for the skirt of the jacket i used the skrit panels from the pattern but i only used i think four of them and shortened them. then i just made fitted pants and a long sleeved t-shirt for underneath. let me know if you have anymore questions about it :)

2. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    The Naboo battle outfit was my first costume. I just finished it a few days ago. It's not as hard as it looks but it is time consuming.
    Liannb, I ran across your website when I was researching and it was very helpful. Thank you! I wish I took your advice about the belt holes before. I have no holes so I am going to try and cut some holes in the fabric. May be a bit trickey. Any suggestions?
    http://public.fotki.com/AmmersV/sw_costuming/front.html
    http://public.fotki.com/AmmersV/sw_costuming/back.html
    I look forward to seeing more Naboo Battle costumes at C4!:)

3. Lelundrial

Lelundrial Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2004
    Awesome job, I had thought about doing this one also. But I am dealing with enough headaches with just the 3 that I have picked. I still don't know if the handmaiden one I picked is embossed are devored.

4. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    great job it looks fantastic :) do you have a side seam you could open up to put it though, i actually have my riboon running over the slit to hide the fact that its there. padawans guide has some great new pics just up of it, that was one of the hardest things to figure out, there just aren't many pics of this costume out there.

5. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    Thanks. :) Yeah, I could put it through the side seam. I'm just worried about the lining splitting. I guess I'll just have to re-inforce it.

6. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    Ah, ordered the wrong size beads for the tassel on the red outfit. This bead sizing is confusing me. The higher the number on the seed ones the smaller the bead. But its the opposite for other beads.

7. lecourtisane

lecourtisane Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2006
    Hi! I just joined the forums but I've been working on Dorme's EP2 Goodbye Gown since February. I was lucky enough to see the costume at FIDM and, with the help of other excellent exhibit pictures from padawansguide.com, I just finished embroidering my version of her buckle.

[image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d113/anr_designs/lecourtisane/starwars/dorme/dbuckle21.jpg]

I used two layers of black cotton with quilters batting and duck cloth sandwiched between. Using a template that I created, I traced the outline onto the fabric, then quilted all layers together with black thread. I mainly used a satin stitch for the embroidered sections. To finish the back, I cut a similar shape from black felt and handstitched it on. The buckle fastens with a safety pin, for easy removal.

Here's a test of the buckle on me. I'm wearing it over my Harry Potter sweater and skirt, since I haven't started on the actual costume yet. The color is still a little off due to poor bathroom lighting.

[image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d113/anr_designs/lecourtisane/starwars/dorme/dbuckle23.jpg]

Now for the hard part! ;)

8. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    That looks awesome wish I had your talents.:_|

I want to do Dorme's Senate outfit. I found a good panne purple velvet fabric. Two problems, once I honestly don't trust buying fabric off the internet. Pictures can be deceiving. Number two, how many yards would I need? Since this one is made differently then other capes, it is a little tricker for me to find the proper yardage needed. I have been really studying those pictures, I think I have it figured out on how to do it. Just need to learn to devore, and obviously proper yardage.

I decided not to worry about the tassle beads for the red one. One thing got them in the mail and didn't get enough.:oops: And I have to order $25 worth of merchandise because that is the minimum. Also, I was watching EpI the other day. I did not see that tassle at all in the movie. I kept rewinding it to find it, not there.

9. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I love Dorme's goodbye outfit, but I decided not to make it because of the impossibility of me creating the hair for it. I really want to start on my concept handmaiden that I'm planning to do, I've gotten a fairly good idea how to construct it, but I want to make another costume first.

10. lecourtisane

Aug 20, 2006
    Thanks guys! :D

Lelundrial: For Dorme's Senate outfit, have you tried doing a mock-up of the cloak out of cheap $1 fabric yet? This way, you can get an idea of how much yardage you'd need and work out how you'd construct it. Also, does the online retailer offer fabric swatches? Or maybe you can order just 1 yd. of the fabric (so that if it's not what you want, you can still make something out of it) - both ways would allow you to get an idea of color without buying a lot.

For the Maroon Cloak, have you thought about making the beaded tassles yourself? You can get beads at Wal-Mart or Michaels and string them on wire. I know Maggie did something similar when she was making Padme's EP3 Dressing Gown...

Obi-Anne: I haven't even thought about the hair yet! But I'm more interested in the clothes and accessories anyway, than attempting to portray the 'character.' :)

11. Lelundrial

Mar 23, 2004
    Lecourtisane, no I didn't consider doing that. I think I will buy a cheap fabric to practice cutting it out and laying the pieces right. Great idea thanx. I had resorted to ordering beads, because I had the hardest time finding the right beads for another outfit.

12. a-tastic

a-tastic Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    oh my god!
    that is...wow. no words...
    i am seriously worshipping your skills!!
    i can't wait to see the rest-- you must post pictures!

13. lecourtisane

Aug 20, 2006
    [face_blush] Thanks, a-tastic!

I'm working on undergarments for my costume right now. I'm making a black Victorian corset and petticoat to go underneath my Goodbye Gown. Dorme has such a tiny waist! Sadly, the same could not be said for me. ;)

14. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    I'm thinking of doing Maroon Cloak 2.0 at some point. I was thinking of fibre etching the symbols into the cloak. Has anyone used fibre etch before and have any tips?

I was going to get a yard of silk velvet and the chemicals from Dharma Trading and play with it (make pillows out of whatever turns out lol), but I heard you need excellent ventilation. Maybe this is something I should hold off until the spring since the only place I have good ventilation is the garage.

15. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Is it really that cold over there already? ;)

kay_dee might be able to help you out with the etching velvet question. I think she's experimented with that in the past few months for the Family Gown cloak.

16. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    :oops:

It's working on it! The darn trees are changing all these weird colours ;) and it's all wet and icky outside atm! But you'd understand wet, eh, Sola! [face_whistling]

Okay, I'll pepper her with questions once I get organized and figure out what to ask her. lol

17. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Nope, it's dry and sunny here ;)

18. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    I'm really itching to do the Ep1 battle outfit, now. It's been on my list forever, and I'm finally at a point where I think I can tackle it. C4, ahoy!

19. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Wow! That is absolutely amazing! Beautiful work!

Having two little ones in our home has pretty much stopped all costuming in my home for a while. Well, that and waiting to lose my pregnancy weight so I can get a proper fit on the ones I'm working on.

My next goal is to work on the green Parade Gown from TPM...I've got fabric for it (a nice, medium drapery grade velvet) in a lovely green...but after seeing it at the FIDM exhibit I'm worried I don't have enough! In the meantime, if I ever get a moment to myself, I'd really like to take apart and restitch my maroon cloak, and fix up my battle gown.

While I'm on the subject, does anyone have a recommendation on a good pattern for the hooded layer of the parade gown?

20. Twilekgirl

Twilekgirl Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2004
    I need some help on the Ep. 1 battle decoy (Sabe) costume. The costume itself I can probably handle, it's the headdress that I'm going to have trouble with. How do you make that?

21. a-tastic

a-tastic Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    which one? this one?
    [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/amidala/blackinvasion/sabe_black2.jpg]

this thread might help you...Black Sabe Invasion

or, if it's this gown:
    [image=http://www.padawansguide.com/amidala/decoy/dag2.jpg]

here's the correlating thread:
    Sabe Battle Gown

good luck!
    either way, i'd recommend using a headband as a base.

22. Twilekgirl

Twilekgirl Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2004
    Also on the skirt for the Sabe battle dress, is there some sort of crinoline under it? Or what makes it flare out like that?

23. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    I'm making an "extra"/new flame gown for RP, and need a suggestion on the shoes. (My most recent version of the gown was in 2002! Yipes!)

I'm planning on wearing walking style shoes (like sneakers), as walking a long distance in dress shoes for hours on end doesn't sound feasible. I want to "wrap" or disguise my shoes somehow. I want them to be as close in color to the bottom of my gown as possible, of course, but I also want to be able to slip the shoe covers on and off. My sewing machine is decades-old Singer (my grandmother's machine), and I'm not very good with working with leather. I'm thinking of trying elastic bands under whatever cover I make to keep them in place, but am not sure they'd survive a very long walk.

Any suggestions would be wonderful!

24. lecourtisane

Aug 20, 2006
    Somehow I missed your previous comment. But thank you! I haven't had much time to do any sewing (grad. school kills me dead) but I'm hoping to finally work on a few projects over Christmas break. :)

Hmm, I don't have any suggestions for boot covers. Sounds like you already have a good idea of what you're going to do. :) I've seen covers that you wrap around your shoe/calf. Some costumers put lacing up the back to help with getting it on/off, or others just use velco in the front to hold everything in place. And yes, elastic to loop around the bottom of your shoe will definitely help (we did this for my little brother's pirate boot covers and didn't have a problem at all).

Good luck!

25. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    You're welcome. I can't wait to see what you get done over the holidays! And I bet grad school is a time-eater. I've got two little ones (a 4 month old and a 2 1/2 year old) and they keep me busy, too.

I guess I have an idea for the shoes, but I wanted to ask around since I don't have any other ideas on how to do this, and I am certain that there's probably better ideas out there. The last thing I'd need is to have the whole thing fall apart halfway through! Also, I'm hoping for some fabric ideas...I think scraps of the velvet would work, but might not be very strong/hold up well, or I could use felt, but that might get too dirty, or...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.