Padme Amidala Handmaiden Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. lecourtisane Jedi Padawan

I can only imagine how much time little ones take up - at least I have summers and holidays off... children are 24/7! :)

The velvet may work as long as you back it with a sturdier fabric (like a heavy twill or cotton). However, it would probably get dirty really easily and be hard to clean. It can be rather delicate too so after only a few events the covers may be unwearable.

What about a suede fabric? Cheaper than leather but still sturdy with a velvet-like texture. I've seen it in a variety of colors too...
  2. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Would I need an upholstery needle? I've had really bad luck with getting those to work on my machine...
  3. lecourtisane Jedi Padawan

This is probably too little too late, but...

Like leather, suede also comes in different weights. If you get upholstery suede, i.e. really heavyweight or with some type of backing on it, then you'd need an upholstery needle. But if you get apparel suede (fashion fabric not home decor), then you could probably get away with a larger universal needle, like a sz. 80/12 or 90/14.

You were recovering your shoes for the Rose Parade, right? And got to wear the offical Flame Handmaiden costume. How awesome is that! I'm sure the experience was just incredible. :)
  4. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks for the reply, lecourtisane !

I ended up using flannel...and through them away at the end of the parade. :~)

I caught a cold/flu right before the parade, and I'm still sick...so, recovering still, I guess.

It was really awesome! It was really good that "in character" for me allowed me to smile and grin and wave...because I don't think I could have been solemn. However, the front of the tabbard part kept untucking, the sash/obi kept twisting, and my hoods kept falling back. :~) Bet those ladies didn't have to walk/run/stop/jog 5.5 miles at a time!

I so very, very much wanted to take home the gown. :~) /sigh

They had to let it out for me because my baby was only 4 months old at the time, and I have a loooong way to go in losing my baby weight. If I could just convince them to let me wear it at Celebration, I'd bet it'd fit ever so much better by then! :~D

Now that I've seen the piecing and coloring on their gown, I want to go do my own flame gown...AGAIN! (Number 3 or 4!)

Where are you in your projects?
  5. lecourtisane Jedi Padawan

I hope you're feeling better! It seems like everyone is getting sick this time of year.

Sadly, I'm still moving at a snails pace with my Dorme costume. I did finally purchase material to make a corded petticoat to wear undearneath it. I'm hoping the petticoat will help support the weight of the skirt and coat without the more rigid lines of a hoopskirt. The corset is still in the muslin stages. *sigh*

I'm trying to finish some other projects before I buy any more fabric, so I think Dorme is going to wait until the summer at least (except for the underpinnings, which I'll work on between projects). Hopefully, I'll have more time to devote to it then, and maybe even have some money too. ;)

How is your new Flame Handmaiden coming along? Are you working from a pattern? I'd eventually like to make one too, but the dying scares me a little. LOL. :p
  6. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    It's...coming. :~) I ordered yet another set of dyes/paints from Dharma to try and get the coloring "right" and I need to piece together a new hood and front/back tabard piece. :~) And I want to get it done by Saturday for the fan day at the Science Center!

Which HM costumers are going to Cel IV?
  7. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I'm coming and at the moment the only costume I'm bringing is my concept HM.
  8. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I'll be there in the Parade HM.
  9. RebelAllianceBarbie Jedi Knight

Hi, I'm doing the flame handmaiden dress for a friend (she's my handmaiden, since I'm doing amidala at C4 lol) and I was wondering which would be the best pattern to use. I've heard that McCalls 4627 works, but I was wondering if there was something else anyone would recommend.
    Thanks!
  10. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Do you want to go for a simple, one-piece gown, or for more layers? (Not counting the red under-pieces.) Of course, I'm terrible with patterns...

and, Sister_Sola, do you have any pics of your parade gown? I'd bug ObiAnne for pics of hers, but she's being all secret-y. :~)

11. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Just the old ones from my site http://www.sistersola.com/starwars-parade.html I don't have the costume anymore - well, just the front tabard with the Naboo symbols.

I'm hoping to get some pics of my new parade handmaiden soon. :)
  12. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Hmmm...all I see are pics of Ami's parade gown....? And I can't wait to see your new parade gown! I've got fabric for some of it for making mine, but there's almost zero chance I'll get to work on it before Cel IV. Besides, I'm still sprucing up my flame gown AGAIN, and making ANOTHER version of the battlemaiden gown!

13. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I'm not doing a new Amidala parade gown - I just finished the parade green handmaiden though. Are you thinking of kay_dee? She has the Amidala parade gown as an upcoming project.
  14. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh, I meant I clicked your link thinking I'd get to see your handmaiden gown, and what I saw was Amidala's white, queenly gown. :~) That's all.
  15. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I haven't even started on the real version yet, I have used the pattern I'm going use though for a couple of other projects so now I'm pretty sure how I can adapt it to my HM. I'm planning on starting on it perhaps in the weekend. (I have to clean up after my latest sewing projects first though)
  16. AmmersVI Jedi Master

star 4
    Time is starting to run short. How are the last minute sewing details for C4 going? I thought I could fit in making another HM costume but it is just not enough time for me.
    I'll be at C4 wearing a TPM Battle HM.
  17. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    No pics yet - need to redo the sleeves, hopefully tomorrow night and then pics.

Obi-Anne will you have yours at C4? We might have to organize a green parade HM photoshoot ;)
  18. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    My HM is the only thing I'm going to have for C4, I don't have time or money for anything else, and it's not a green HM, it's a costume just based on a concept sketch for the handmaidens that was never realised on screen.
  19. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I look forward to seeing it O-A. :)

Okay here's pics of the green HM:

http://www.sistersola.com/SWparadeHM.html

[image=http://www.sistersola.com/Parade-HM-003.jpg]
  20. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Oh, WOW! Beautiful job, Sister Sola!
    The undertones in the velvet are so close to the real thing...and the detail is amazing.

When you have time, would you mind writing out a guide on how you did yours?
  21. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Thank you!

Writeup: it could be awhile LOL ;)
  22. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    It's simply beautiful! Sola, on the other hand all your work is.
  23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Oooooo, Sola, that turned out beautifully!
  24. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Thanks so much you guys :)
  25. Tenyon Jedi Knight

star 2
    That picture is a real pleasure to look at Sola, great job!
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.