main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Handmaiden Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    =D= Fantastic!

2. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    What days are you folks wearing your handmaiden gowns at Cel IV?

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    At the moment I'm starting to panic with finishing my costume. [face_praying]

Anyway I'm planning to wear it on Friday, so I can have it for the RL photo.

4. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    I'm planning to wear it Sunday, hoping to get in the Sunday costume contest with it, but I'll wear it that day either way.

5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    It was stunning to see your costume in real life!

Anyway here's my custom handmaiden:

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/ffsweden/C4%20OA/026.jpg]

based on unused concept from ROTS.

I've started to think about continuing work on this one, like manage to hide blasters and other handmaidenstuff in it as well. We'll see what happens.

6. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    ObiAnne I saw your dress at C4 and it's really lovely - you did a great job on it :)

On a separate note - I don't know if it had been mentioned before (a lot of pages to scroll through), but the Gold Episode 1 handmaidens are in the ROTS opera scene in the background :)
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/dressingagalaxynyc/large/RedInvasion01_1.jpg]

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/miscpics/large/IMG_1421.JPG]
    This was taken off my TV zoomed in on pause. They are in the same scene as Lucas and his daughter as Anakin walks into Palpatine's box. I noticed them while scanning the scene for cool extras costumes lol. It's a good way to recycle costume :)
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/miscpics/large/IMG_1422.JPG]

7. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Yes I've seen them, and it really makes me wonder how you move about elegantly in those very long gowns.

8. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I have a couple of photos now of that dress, from the SW exhibit in London. It's nothing better than what's already on padawan's guide, but at least it's something.

click here

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Working in not-complete-secrecy and with a ton of help from GentleBant, we got these done for Comic Con last week:

[image=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/legomania5/Comic%20Con%2007/Stolen%20from%20Others/963731826_afd7e65787_o.jpg]

[image=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/legomania5/Comic%20Con%2007/Stolen%20from%20Others/962890125_d0f05757ea_o.jpg]

10. BrieKalan

BrieKalan Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 26, 2006
    I still can't believe how good they turned out Rachel. There are some things I want to fix on mine--I will probably want to redo the entire costume for myself. It's my favorite one that I have.

Steve Sansweet even mentioned them to me the next day--we certainly made an impression.

@};- =D= @};-

11. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    That looks so cool with all of you together like that! You guys look great!

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I want to blend the sleeves a little bit better, if it's possible. Just make the fade smoother.

And thanks Cassandra. So when's the next time you'll have your Return to Naboo so we can have the correct Amidala/Padme to follow around? ;)

13. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Everyone's bugging me that I should do the flame gown, but I would never dare the dyeing. Your costumes look great, and it's always wonderful to see a group of them together.

14. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Hmmm, don't know yet if I can make it to Comic Con next year, but there's C5 the year after! :)

15. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    It's a date! :)

16. JediMaraJadeSkyMaul

JediMaraJadeSkyMaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2007
    I was hoping that some of you might be able to help me. This is the first time I've attempted a Handmaiden gown, and I want it to be the ebst it can be. If anybody has the pattern for a Naboo Battle Coat, I'd really appreciate a copy of it. I woulnd't even begin to know where or which pattern to start from. Ive always wanted to do a Handmaiden, and I think this one wouldn be the easiest and maybe one that's not done so often. If there's another one that you'd consider obscure and easy, tell me, I'd prolly be willing to switch costumes! Neway, any help is greatly appreciated!!

May the Costumeing Force be with you!!

~Mara~

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Great to hear about yet another battlemaiden.

When I did mine, and I think I'm not the only one who has done this, I used the Butterick B4051. I made a mockup of the bodice and then cut it up and used that, that way I could also eliminate some of the seams in the front. The skirt is way too big for the battle outfit though, I simply did a halfcircle skirt that I attached to the bocide, I think Liann posted in this thread that she used the pattern for the skirt, but only a few of the pieces not all of them. Unfortunately the B4051 seems to be out of print, but you can still order it through the Butterick site or probably find it on ebay or something.

18. JediMaraJadeSkyMaul

Jul 17, 2007
    That's a pattern I never thought to use!! Thanks for the idea! I'll have to check into it. I think I can actually still get it through my sewing supply store, but we'll see. Thanks again!

19. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm with Anne, it is great to see another person interested in this coat! I used the same pattern. It works well. You just have to do the big sleeve on both sides. I kept the same bodice and didn't alter it at all. The collar needs to be changed to a rolled collar. And I used the skirt pattern included for the bottom of the coat. I think Liann said she used 4 pannels. It works nicely but it does need to be shortened a bit from the origional pattern.
    It's not as hard as it looks! :)
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=527057395&size=l
    I think it would be great to have a whole group wearing this at the next con!

20. JediMaraJadeSkyMaul

Jul 17, 2007
    I agree that would very awesome! I'm really excited about this one!!

21. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked for recent query :)

22. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Thank you, Sister Sola!

-------------------------------
    I'm slowly working on the yellow handmaiden throne room gown from TPM, and I was wondering...

1.) Does anyone have a suggestion for a good pattern to use for the pleated underdress? I know I need a square neck, and I'm thinking sleeveless. I've looked around a bit but haven't found anything great yet.

2.) The bottom of the dress pools/flares. This clearly makes it pretty much impossible to walk with it unless you pick up the skirt. To keep the shape, I was thinking of using some sort of lightweight hoop. Any thoughts/suggestions?

23. blueeyedpadme

blueeyedpadme Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2007
    how you do the fabric?

:)

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Jos, an idea I had was (which was kinda ghetto) was to have like a wire circle that you attach underneath the flared bottom. Like just stitch it around. That way it will hold it's shape, though walking's going to be fun in it.

25. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    I bought a drapery fabric by Waverly...:~) I just got my velvet in the mail, and I also found a slightly lighter, less gold colored pleated fabric for the obi. When I was looking at fabric, I did also consider getting a striped/burnout style courdoroy or velvet, as well. I still also need to get the lining as well as the piping...something I'm *really* dreading trying to attach as I'm pretty certain doing that is well beyond my skills.

The underdress fabric is not box-pleated, but it's a pretty gold and has the "scrunchy" style pleats.

And Miana, that's actually what I was thinking. :~D Guess I'm "ghetto", too!

What I couldn't get my brain around was how to sew the wire in without flattening the pleats. By hand, I suppose.

Oh, and after reading the RL costume standards for this one, the underdress has to be long-sleeved...

I really wish I had someone nearby to be a sewing buddy with on this one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.