Padme Amidala Handmaiden Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Réka Jedi Master

star 4
    Obviously, I'm not sure of the exact pleating depth--I didn't have a ruler along--but it wasn't extremely fine. If 1/2" looks wrong to you, try 3/8", but I wouldn't go much finer than that. (And actually, I'd say as long as you get a pleated fabric, any pleated fabric, it will look ok. :))

For the jacket, I'm not sure what you mean by that "top part is lower than the upper" part. ?[face_plain] As far as the jacket pattern--kimonos have slanted fronts (which wrap around to form the associated V-neck), so if you use a kimono pattern, you'll need to delete that slant. (Check the picture--the bottom front corners are nice right angles, not the acute angles you'd get with a kimono-type pattern.)

Good luck to anyone making handmaiden dresses, and post pictures of your finished products!
  2. brat-of-kansas Force Ghost

star 2
    believe it nor not i was playing around with my pattern for my handmaiden green celebration gown last night and I found that using the McCalls 8936(women's cape and cloak/with hood) can pass for the perfect pattern for those making the presenate handmaiden cloaks or those making the green handmaiden celebration gown like moi:p

check it out!!!!

i thank kreleia for the pattern though:)

3. Malla Jedi Knight

if you look at the very, very bottem of the coat, it's uneven. I think its best seen in the concept pictures- the front is a bit short, with the back almost dragging on the floor.
    It's quite something- i think i have a picture of it somewhere..

Sorry Darth Eagle- crosswinds took down my site for a while because i put initials in instead of my real name (bummer, eh?). It should be back up now, but i'll email ya too.
  4. brat-of-kansas Force Ghost

star 2
    well yeah that is whole point of the pattern i got for those purposes alone...DUH!!!! Not that the handmaiden gowns that are being focused on now aren't kewl, it's just that maybe it is high time that the other ones be brought into the light:)

we all see the sign and it's the naboo royal insignia...
  5. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Opss Réka, I was a bit blur when I posted about the coat. :p What I meant was about the sleeves. In one of the side photo of the gown, part of the scarf (think it's the coat sleeves "cuffs") looks like it's wide & slant down, something like Sidious' Robe sleeves. But this is just my hypothesis.

As for the front of the coat, I got in mind something similar to what is being employed for Amidala's Ep2 Blue gown coat, only the open part is wider and cut straight from the shoulder. It's like putting a scarf on your shoulders to cover your hands and side of body.

And as just a little tips, I've listed out all the Cloak/Robe patterns from McCall's or Simplicity I know of, you can use to make the Coruscant Cloak/robe (or anything else you see in them);)

McCall's
    -2937 (for kids? "patterns" for Harry Potters characters?)
    -3289 (?)
    -8937 (also have for kids)

Simplicity

Ps: How does the inner cloak/robe looks like 4 the Coruscant Cloak? Is it the one Rabé wore when she meet up with Anakin in Amidala's apartment? ?[face_plain]

Heehee, we so far got all except 2 of the Handmaids gowns covered- Senate one and the QGJ's funeral. Any attempt on the 2 later on for anyone?
  6. Réka Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, the verdict of the RHS was that Rabé's blue/purple getup is what is worn underneath the maroon cloaks. (The evidence is the head-wrap visible underneath the velvet cloaks, with two ends hanging down the back. Rabé's headdress is the same fabric, although the color can look different from picture to picture, and it looks like it may have ends hanging down the back.)

As far as anyone can tell, the maroon cloaks were also worn for the funeral. The only other possibility would be the black senate dresses, but those have that telltale silver stripe down the middle, which would have shown even with the handmaidens as hidden in the shadows as they were. (Also, the black dress has sleeves, but the shadowy shapes at the funeral don't have visible arms.)

Speaking of the black senate dress, it was also on display at the exhibit I saw. I'll have to find a description I wrote shortly after, because I can't recall the details at all, except the fact that the fabric was, well, strange. It looked like it was assembled from long 1" wide strips of black slightly-stretchy velveteen, with the strips serged together and the seams on the outside. Not my favorite ensemble, all in all. (Good thing they weren't seen much in the film.)

I haven't looked at the patterns suggested for the cloak & hood, but I want to say that the green dress doesn't have a hood. As far as I can tell, it has the same triangular veil thingy as the yellow dress. Of course, unlike the latter, I haven't seen the green dress up-close-and-personal, so I may be misinterpreting the pictures I have seen. Does anyone have any links to pictures that would conclusively prove one or the other interpretation?
  7. Lady_Jedi26 Force Ghost

star 4
    I saw all the messages all of you have been putting on the boards and was wondering if one of you could help me out. I have a fancy dress party to go to later this year and was wanting to know if anyone had patterns for any of the handmaiden costumes that they could send to me email me please i would appreciate it Kanga@piscesgirl.com
  8. Malla Jedi Knight

A really simple one would be the Cloak, that they wear while Amidala is talking with Senator Palpatine.

Like Bant said, it would be McCalls 8936. The fabric looks like velvet. So- construct the dress, but modify it so it goes to the ground.
    For the insignia's going down, get a block of wood and make a "stamp" with the naboo insignia. I think this can be found more in depth here: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1361252&replies=3

then just get a purple scarf, and that should be it. From what i can tell anyways.
  9. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Does anyone where "The Art of Star Wars" Exhibition is at now? ?[face_plain]

Maybe some of the Handmaiden gowns are displayed there (as was when it stop over at London The Art of Star Wars at the Barbican Museum
    and we can get someone who live nearby to get more pictures of the gowns for us. :D
  10. Malla Jedi Knight

last i heard, i think i heard talk of Onterio? I'm not sure at all, i think it was still just speculation
  11. Lady_Jedi26 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks for the reply Im going to look up on the web for McCalls and see about getting that pattern. Im really wanting to suprise my husband with making the costume for a party we are going to later this year
  12. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I know there is one in Finland till Feb(?) but I'm not sure if it's "The Art Of SW" or "The Magic Of Myths" exhibition. I hears the exhibition has Maul's Garb but not sure to which exhibition/s that garb belong to. ?[face_plain]
  13. Lady_Jedi26 Force Ghost

star 4
    Ok Found a wonderful cloak pattern that i want to use to possibly make a maroon dress with but wondered would it be over doing it adding a bit of gold embroidery to it ?[face_plain] i dont want it to look too flashy but not too plain either Help!!!
  14. LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I have a few helpful pictures of several of the handmaiden outfits from various sources. Please private message me with your e-mail address if you would like to see my collection of pictures.
  15. Lady_Jedi26 Force Ghost

star 4
  16. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I'm planning on doing the purple one, the one on Eirtae's icon, but I really can't afford velvet, do you have any suggestion for a cheaper but still quite good looking material?
  17. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Velour or velveteen are less expensive.

18. Darth_Eagle Fanforce CR Singapore

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Or you can use cheap velvet like Flock Taffeta Velvet or Tricot Velvet or even Cotton Velvet. The first 2 may requirer lining as it's pretty thin.

I haven't gotten onto this project yet so I can't say much. Anyway, it most likely will be going out . . . :(
  19. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Another good source of inexpensive material is used clothing at thrift stores and/or clothing auctions at eBay. I purchased an unworn XL woman's burgandy velour dress for $6 online and am using it for material to make my battle dress. :~) I'm using the old sleeves to make the leggings.

20. Lady_Jedi26 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thats a great bargain you got then and for it to be online as well. I have never been to ebay before but sounds like it might be worth checking out
  21. LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey Handmaiden friends. This reply is just jogging back to the very beginning of this topic. Here's a great hips and up shot of Padmé in the Battle outfit. It shows the belt in nice detail.

Good Battle Outfit Pic
    Not So Good, But Decent Pic

EDIT:
    Those links don't work, because Lycos/Tripod is not letting me. Anyhow, go to this page and visit the Multimedia Section, Then into the Media section. Just click Amidala and the two pictures I tried to post were queen014.jpg and queen002.jpg. If that doesn't work, gimmie a holler and I'll upload them to my webbie. Sorry about that.

Queen Amidala Page

22. Réka Jedi Master

star 4
    The picture links can be made to work: after clicking them and getting the error page, go up to the address bar and type a question mark after the end of the address. Press Enter and the picture should load.
  23. Obischick Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay, Reke, do you have any specific hints, tips or anything about the Handmaiden Battle Dress?

I am trying to make it, but I have yet to do anything. :) I'm hopefully going out sometime this week to get the fabric. Any suggestions??

~Obischick
  24. Réka Jedi Master

star 4
    The battle dress is probably the one I know the least about, Obischick. Sorry. :( Ask at the RHS thread, several people there have made the dress. :)
  25. Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Hi, I've decided to do one of the handmaided gowns, specifically the one that is worn when Anakin asks to see Padme when Amidala is getting ready to go to the Senate. Does any one know where I can get some really good pictures of that? It would be most helpful :)
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.