main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Handmaiden Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    You mean the inner robe for the Burgary Coruscant Cloak that Rabe wore? Well, I can't say much about it but when I'm gonna do it, I'll probably use pattern meant for wizards robe like Simplicity 9887 ,the black robe one with lots of modification. Material, I got Thailand Silk in mind but the price is a bit steep for my pocket so it'll come much later.

Oh, yes, I updated my website yesterday and you can view the pictures for the pattern I think can be use to make the Coruscant Cloak
    here BASIC JEDI/SITH ROBE/CAPE. If you got any more pattern to recommand, please do! :)

(PS: I also used McCall's 2810 with modification, for my Royal Guard Outer Robe and it did work in certain ways. Just need to do some more modification next time if I do another robe!)

2. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    I have some links to good pics of the black senate gown, if you'd like to PM me with your email address. (I assume you do mean the one Sabé and Eirtaé are wearing? Or are you referring to the dress Rabé is wearing when she greets Anakin?)

3. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Coruscant Handmaid Gown, Black or Blue? ?[face_plain]

GentleBant, you got any clear picture or links of the inner robe Rabe wore when she greeted Anakin? I'll like to have it if you have. ;) Thanks!

4. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Darth Eagle, I'm not sure I do, personally, but I do know a few links...I'll get back to you by tomorrow, sometime. (My info is saved on my home 'puter...can't check til tomorrow.) :~)

BTW, we have several members who are working to recreate the RHS site, galleries included, so if any of you have pics stored that we could use, keep us in mind!

5. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I got the Handmaids' name jokes stored in my computer. Just tell me the address and I'll zap it to you! ;)

Here's a sample:

By Darth Happy

Which handmaiden didn't just care?
    Blasé

Which handmaiden is from Africa?
    Zimbabwé

Which handmaiden is from Hawaii?
    Ukalelé

Got some pictures from other sites but I guess you guys will have them too. Will also try to make screen captures if I can assemble my brother's computer without getting electrocuted! (His Media Player was quite old so can capture certain scenes, unlike mine :( )

6. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Wow! Thanks, Darth Eagle! That's good to know. I will keep in touch with you regarding those. You know, the name puns were among my first posts in the RHS. Ah, the memories.....:~D

7. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Found a much easier pattern for the purple cape/robe for the handmaids :D

Burda Easy 2566 (Cape A)

I also found a good pattern for the Flame Gown inner shirt and the new Handmaid Theed Throneroom inner shirt(?):

Vogue 7470 (Pullover Top)

The only adjustment for the above pattern is to add a visor(?) to above the forhead part and make the pullover sleeves tighter.

Anyhow, if too lazy to use the pattern, just use a long piece of cloth of the red color, add a visor to the part above the forehead, wind it twice aroud the head and 1-2X under the neck. :p Add the shirt later . . .

8. LadyAnakinSkywalker

LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 6, 2001
    On the Battle Outfits:

I heard Simplicity had a pattern that could be altered to work with the outfit, and its suggested that velvet should be used, with a satin lining.

Does anyone know how to go about constructing the belt buckle? At least I think its a belt buckle...well, its something. ;)

9. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    LAS, I used small rectangular pieces of wood that I bought at a craft store. To get the slight bend in the "buckle," soak the wood in water until it is workable. Secure the wood over a piece of something just ever-so-slightly rounded (VERY VERY slightly) and allow it to dry. Next, get four small wooden "bumps" and use wood/craft glue to secure them. When dry, paint over the whole front with silvery paint and let dry. Use gold metallic puffy paint to create the crest. You can then glue on clips to the back to hold it in place over a normal belt, or sew it over an existing belt buckle. :~)

OK, big deal (to me)....someone finally clued me into the fact that there are two DVDs in the package (hubby had opened up the first and put away the package, so I didn't know!!!), and in the behind the scenes stuff, you can see that the funeral pyre cloak is distinct from the other HM cloaks!! Ack! It opens in the front, and is a different shade than the Coruscant maroon cloak and much less ornate than the Senate cloak. Wow!!!

And....I got new fabric to remake the flame dress! (The first just isn't up to par.....<sigh>....) It's a lovely orangey-gold color, and I'm hoping to start playing with it in a few weeks. I also plan on remaking the red sleeves (and adding in the embroidery and thumb loops on them), and reconstructing the underhood. I'm very excited. :~)

10. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    GentleBant, are you using velvet again for the Flame Gown? ?[face_plain] So what is the actual name of the velvet? I been looking for cheap dyeable velvet or such fabric but haven't got any luck. The Pakistan seller seems like a good choice (since he's nearer 2 me) but the total cost is still out of my range. :(

If I do get round to do the Gown, I'm thinking of using 2 different shades of oranges/yellow: Orange & Pale Yellow. I'll dye 1 meter of the orange fabric to very dark orange(red if possible) completely for the hood and another 3 meter darker orange by that "capillary action" method for the shirt. Then the pale yellow fabric will also be dye yellow followed by orange to get that flame look again. Heehee, I wonder, will it work? :p

Currently, for the Handmaid Gown, I'm in for the Burgary Robe/Cape (w/ or w/o the inner robe) as I found an easy pattern to do it (hurray! can do this one myself!). The inner robe, think I'll use one of the pattern from Simplicity's "LoTR" pattern and maybe I'll risk it and really get that Thailand Silk fabric for the hood only to get that stiff look (the body part will use other cheaper fabric). But I may have to send this inner robe out as I'm very bad at estimating my size when making costume myself (*thinking back on how wide the shoulder of my Royal Guard Outer robe turned out*)

But I also got my eyes on the new Handmaid Gown shown in Insider #57 when Padme Amidala dropped by Theed Throne Room. It looks a lot easier than that during Amidala reign (that Mustard one) but I'm still stumped on how to do the outer hood. Anyone also interested? :D

Aiyah! Must really finish up the costumes I had started on before trying the new Handmaid one! [face_laugh]

11. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Sorry it took me so long to come back here!

:~)

RL has me buried.....deep.

Anyway, I won a remnant of a nice goldish-orangey cheapy velvet on eBay that I plan on using. I'll just have to be *very* careful about trimming and cutting and such to make certain I have enough fabric. I can PM you with the online store this gal runs, if you are interested. I paid around $11-$12 counting shipping for about 3.5 yards, I think.

I also have fresh screen shots and a brand-new revelation about Dorme's gown (drat this mac keyboard-no accented e!!!!) that I will post in the Dorme's Gown thread soon.

12. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Please do PM me with the online store address! :D

Thanks!

13. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Hmmm...those of you who dually haunt the RHS and the costuming forum know about this...but, well...how many costumed HMs will be attending the Celebration?

14. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Anyone attempting the new Ep2 Handmaid Gown or not?
    (Go to this Album Darth Eagle's Album and click on Ep2 Handmaid)

I going to do it soon (think it can be done within a few days) but am at a dilema on the fabric to use for the gown (am making an elastic waist, wide skirt with the pullover that has a hood as in Vogue 7470 (Pullover Top) and the cape using Burda Easy 2566 (Cape A) but without any hood or collar. Cotton Lycra is a bit too hard and expansive for this costume (unless I can find a cheap fabric for the skirt and hood to match the Lycra to be used for the shirt). Any specific name of knits or other elastic fabric you think I can use?

And I just want to carify: the cape is dark brown or dark Maroon in color right? (maybe using the cheap Taffeta Velvet for this too)

Oh, yes! Concerning the Ep1 Maroon Handmaid Cape/Robe, can anyone recommand how I can create the Amidala Symbol on the cape front? I'm using Taffeta Velvet (Short coat velvet with acetate/synthetic canvas-like backing) and trying to create the design using the iron had been unsuccessful. Should I paste the symbols onto the cape. Recommanded to use what fabric and glue?

Thanks! :D

15. Réka

Réka Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 1999
    Ooh, hadn't seen that handmaiden pic, thanks for the link! The orange part looks like it may be Trisha's favorite, silk velvet. The dark part looks almost black to me, but the picture is a bit fuzzy, so I may be wrong on that. The dark part also looks almost furry, like Amidala's post-Senate dress from Episode I. (Not as furry as her Senate cloak, though.)

If the iron isn't working to make the designs on the maroon cloak, I would recommend diluted fabric paint. What were you using to try the iron-in method? If you had a stamp-type template, you can use that to stamp on the paint, then just even it out a bit to get that flattened look.

16. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Oh, wow, Darth Eagle--where's that from???? <jaw drops>

I am not currently planning on doing any of Jamilla's HMs costumes...there are far too many yet to be conquered for Ami's--not to mention my long-planned Jedi outfit. :~)

And Réka's ideas sound very good to me....I trust her judgement!

17. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    Hi ladies!
    I am a confirmed entry in the CII costume contest and I am making the Amidala pre-senate kimono and headpiece. It is turning out very well, and I am even using iridescent tafeta for the kimono. I was wondering if any of you ladies either are working on or have finished the burgandy cloaks that the handmaidens wear while the queen has on this ensemble-and are going to be at CII. I think it would look great to have you walking with me while I am in the contest? Any takers? You can answer on this thread, or pm me, or email me at mom2raiandjas@lycos.com. I would love to see any pictures!!!
    Thank you,
    queenseamstress-Amy

18. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    I really like the mustard yellow throne room dresses, however...I can't seem to find any pics but the front view. Can anyone help? Either with more pics, especially the back, and maybe your own sketches you've done when creating it. Thanks!

19. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    iycis, I'm not certain we have any views of this costume from the back. However, from seeing it at the exhibit a couple of years ago, I seem to remember that it was just a continuation of what we see up front. If I recall correctly, the top "hood" piece ends in a point down the back, and the painted patterns continue around to the back.

Hope that helps!

Also--more HM pics--yeay! (trailer d)

20. LadyEowyn

LadyEowyn Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2002
    Um, Hi. I'm new here, but I'm a big handmaiden fan, and I'm making the Battle outfit from Episode one, and there are a couple things that have me confused.

First off, what kind of fabric do you use for the under-shirt? It looks very tight, but stretchy, so I'm thinking a spandex or polyester, or something along those lines.

Second, the sleeves of the jacket seem very large, and when I watch the DVD closely, it appears as if they are physically sewn into the side seem of the jacket. What do you think?

Finally, the silk fabric inside the jacket, I don't think it's the same as the aforementioned shirt, but I'm having trouble with the color. In some shots, it looks bright magenta or pink, and in others, it looks dark red. I am very confused.

Thanks for the help! :)

~*~Lady Éowyn~*~

21. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    WOOHOO!

I found a new Handmaiden site. :D Since the Royal Handmaiden Society page went down, I've been looking everywhere for pictures. Here's the page:

The Handmaiden Picture Galleries

I'll definitely be burning these to CD in case this site goes down as well.

22. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    :eek: :) :eek: :)

Thank you, KirstenSolo for that link! I been trying to screen capture that "The Lilac Underdress" but the computer keep giving a blank all black of the Media Player screen. I really want to do that dress to accompany my Marron Handmaid Cape one day.

Arigato! :)

Anyway, concerning the Mustard-Dull Yellow Gown, there is actually a drawing of it somewhere out there, with the wearer arms stretch out to show how the scarves go. But before I can save it, the website disappeared. Anyone got any clue to where to find this drawing? (Malla, you maybe? ;) )

23. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    I don't know where that one went, Darth Eagle. And for those of you who miss the old RHS site, we are still working on reconstructing it. The current problem lies in finding a good host website with enough space for us to repost all the galleries. Ideas anyone?

24. KirstenSolo

KirstenSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Unfortunately, I don't know any free sites that can host that much info. You could always elect for the pro version of geocities and ask for contributions. I believe it's fairly cheap per month.

On a realated note, has anyone found a good pattern for the outer part of the flame gown? That's next on my list after the pre-senate gown and cloak. I'm using the Vogue pattern for the undershirt, but I'm having a hard time finding a good pattern to modify for the gown itself.

25. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    I've made one version of the flame gown, but am redoing it.

None of the patterns I've seen have been close...but for not a whole lot more cost, you can buy a cheap material (lining, whatever), and make the pieces yourself. The hood is sort of the most difficult, just because of the fit. It has a top seam but no back sewing if I recall correctly. The body of the costume has several different pieces as I remember from the FIDM exhibit. (They still have pics available online, btw.) There is the frontspiece, which covers most of the front view, the back part, similar to the front, panels on the sides, and then the sleeves. The openings for the arms are just below elbow level on the forearm. Interestingly, there were little slits cut in a few places on the costumes, perhaps for wiring or mic lines? I'm not sure we ever figured out what they were. Réka had a good run-down on the costume posted in the RHS thread...I'll see if I can dig it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.