Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Aug 9, 2001.
Dorme's Costume? Or is it Corde? ?
It is not Dorme or Corde It was not in the opening scene or where Dorme is saying goodbye to Padme when she leaves with Ani.
I beleive it was a Queen J handmaiden, because they were all in the room with her...it was absolutely the most beautiful handmaiden gown ever...can't beleive noone is talking about it yet...the back of the cloak looked like a shimmery textured fabric, dip dyed in the three colors down the back...very stunning...if anyone is going to watch it again in the theatre...keep an eye out for it!
I spoke about it a few months ago after it first appeared in SW Insider. I was refering to it as the "new Mustard Theed Handmaid" Costume or "Ep2 Handmaid Gown" and again touch on the layered outer cloak after my May 11th viewing.
But I don't remember it being "violet at the top, yellowish in the middle, and icy blue at the bottom". It looks like all Mustard and Maroon Brown Velvet to me, even after the 5th viewing. ? Doesn't look like that difficult to do, much easier than the TPM Theed one as the design seems straight forwards. (okay, lah! This Sunday I promise to verify it again as I don't remember us able to see the BACK of it.)
Go to my [link=http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/darth_eagle/lst?&.dir=/Ep2+Handmaid+(Queen%27s)&.src=ph&.view=t]Ep2 Handmaid (Queen's)[/link] for my only 2 photos of them.
This picture of the EI mustard-colored dresses came from the Smithsonian traveling exhibition listings catalogue. Thought y'all would like it:
EDIT: And I have an absolutely HUGE version of it if anyone would like me to send it to them.
Someone else on another thread verified I was not seeing things...they noticed it after the 4th viewing.
When you go again, watch carefully-it will show a quick back view of a handmaiden-like partially off the screen. The dyed part is on the back of the cloak.
I NEED PICTURES! AACKK!! CANNOT WAIT UNTIL THE DVD RELEASE!!! he he he
StormtrooperPrincess, that's nice but I think I'll need a picture of the actress actually holding up her hands to know visually how the coats suppose to go. I just hope that exhibition will come to my country within this 1 year (Either the Arts Of or Smithsonian coming to Australia Fall this year so why not drop by Singapore after that! ).
I'll check again the New Theed Handmaid Costume this Sunday. Maybe I was paying too much attention ton Padme's and the Queen Gown that day. Heehee, mustn't give in to the darkest side and get the VCDs now . . .
If you think you're going to a find a pic of the coat with the arms extended...think again. I searched high and low when I made it and finally had to just create my own version and pray it was close.
There IS a production sketch/drawing that seems to be the exact one for the movie's Theed Handmaiden Gown but I can't find it online any more. It shows the handmaiden with one hand extended, if I'm not mistaken.
queenseamstress, for the violet/yellowish/icy blue gown, are you sure it's a handmaiden? Your description sounds sort of like the clothing Amidala's female councilors wore in TPM. Plus, handmaidens generally don't appear in more than one outfit at the same time. You wouldn't have some of them in the orange/brown thing, and some of them in an entirely different outfit.
Just for the record, my new fave handmaiden dress is what DormÃ© wears in the "intergalactic greyhound terminal" scene. Of course, I have to see the movie a few more times to get all the details. Oh, the suffering...
I have also heard that DormÃ© is visible in the packing-to-leave-for-Naboo scene, but I have yet to see her there. (Which led me to wonder, why is Amidala packing her own luggage when she has a handmaiden to do stuff like that?) Has anyone seen DormÃ© in that scene, and if yes, could you see what she was wearing?
I saw the movie again today, and Reka's right -- the dress you're talking about is worn by one of the queen's advisors, not a handmaiden. It looks like they used a tie dye technique to me. I can probably get you some screen caps within a week or so.
Yep, Dorme's in the packing scene, but I'm not entirely sure what she's wearing. For some reason, I'm thinking it's the same costume she was wearing in the beginning of the movie.
Ok, qs, is it the woman sitting next to Sio Bibble in this pic?
If so, she's not a handmaiden. But that's just a technicality.
I KNEW IT! Queen Jamilla's Handmaidens are NOT wearing some "violet at the top, yellowish in the middle, and icy blue" costumes. The only thing that looks unique in the Handmaiden Costume is their Cloak which were "layered" and which unfortunately can only be seen in the movie (somehow the layers don't appear in the picture. ). Hmm, Jamilla only got 4 handmaids, unlike Amidala who got 5?
Did you actually check out the link I provided Queenseamstress?
RÃ©ka, isn't Dorme the one inside the wardrobe? And do you think, she was wearing some kind of headgear/wig as her hair in the Padme Bedroom scene seems to be not that long. ?
Ok, saw it again last night.
1. As others have confirmed, the dress queenseamstress likes is worn by a councilor to the new queen. Most definitely not a handmaiden, but still quite beautiful.
2. The only thing I was able to figure out about DormÃ©'s velvet dress (worn when Amidala visits Palpy and when the Jedi arrive in her apartment) was that there is more there to figure out than we thought. Is that a *tassel* hanging down the back?
3. Finally caught a glimpse of DormÃ© in the closet. Couldn't see what she was wearing, other than that it was dark colored. It didn't look like velvet, though, so it was a different dress. Yay! That means DormÃ© has three outfits in the movie!
4. I still love the dress DormÃ© wears on the bus. And there was definitely a "DormÃ© and Typho, sitting in a tree..." moment there.
5. Do the servants at the lake retreat qualify as handmaidens? I like their dresses, too!
I think the ladies serving Padme and Ani are servants relative to her family-hence the deleted scenes.
Yes, Eagle, I did look at your pics-but could not conclude anything because it did not show the back.
Obi-Dawn-it may be the dress in the pic, but unless I can find a pic of when everyone stands up, I can't be 100% sure...
Amidala and Queen J have so many people waiting on them for everything...Sorry I was unable to keep track of exactly who everyone was.
I love the style of the Queen J handmaiden gowns and Corde's decoy ensemble-but I must admit I am not particularly drawn to Dorme's gowns as of yet...maybe they will grow on me with repeated viewings...
Darth Eagle, could it be the picture at the bottom of this page? [link="http://www.geocities.com/we_are_brave/ConceptArt4.html"]http://www.geocities.com/we_are_brave/ConceptArt4.html[/link] It's the only one I've seen that looks like what you described.
I think so but then again, I can't really remember the exact drawing as I saw it once back just before Sept. I only remembered it as being very close to the actual gown.
Reka-I love Dorme's gown in the intergalactic greyhound scene too. I'd love to make it, but haven't seen that many pics of it.
Well now that I have been pointed in the right direction I have some questions for you ladies concerning the Padme's Battle of Naboo outfit.
1. On the newly recreated Royal Handmaiden Sight it refers to the material as Damson Velvet. Anyclue as to whether it is referring to color or the type of velvet? If this is referring to color what type of velvet did people use on this project?
2. Concerning the pants, did anyone use a specific commercial pants pattern? If so do you recall the #?
3. After looking at pics for hours I know have questions about the layout of the gold ribbon on the frock coat. How far down the front do the strips go exactly? And am I mistaken or does a strip of the ribbon also run along the inside of the jacket near the hemline. There is a picture of Padme running and I would swear that there is a gold shimmer coming from the inside of the jacket.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
okay, as to your questions:
1. I've never heard of Damson Velvet before. What I used was a regular velvet, wine colored. however, I would suggest a burgandy color, it's closer to the actual color of the fabric in the film.
2. I used a pattren for the pants, but I can't recall the # right now. I'll go look it up for you later!
3. The ribbon goes up the side of the jacket, around the shoulder and down the front. On the Inside of the Jacket, yes, there is ribbon, you can see it particularly well when Padme sits down in her throne to get the hidden blasters. There is also ribbon on the sides of her pants.
Hope I helped some!!
Thank you Obischick. It has been quite helpful. By the way did you make your own pattern for the frock coat or did you use a commercial pattern? If you did use a commercial pattern for it can you send me that # too?
OK, the "original" RHS site is still under reconstruction...the Royal Handmaidens Society site that's out there is not affliated with the RHS of the JC....the potential confusion has been communicated to the webmistress of the "other" RHS, but she does not seem to be concerned.
That being said...we have a new main page and the galleries should be reposted in the next couple of weeks, including as many shots of the new HMs as will be possible. You can find the beginnings of the new RHS at [link=www.royalhandmaidensociety.org]Royal Handmaiden Society[/link].
OK, back to the subject at hand....costumes!
DormÃ© is wearing the polka-dot sleeve costume in the packing (Ami's tie-fighter hair) scene. You can see her posing in this costume in front of Ami's closet in many of the pics around the web.
Also, there is most certainly a tassle and much detailing on the back of her costume in the Ani/Ami reunion scene. [blockquote]Question: Is there something hanging down (tassely-like) the back of the costume?[/blockquote] I posted this a while back in the DormÃ© Costume thread. At Indy, there was a head-to-foot shot that was absolutely wonderful....I only wish I had a copy! I took a picture of it, but it didn't turn out very well....I'll post it sometime this month in the reconstructed RHS gallery.
Just when you thought only Padme got missing gowns in AOTC (2 to be precise?), DormÃ© also got a missing Cloak, probably from the first (& missing) Senate Scene:
And there is also a missing Handmaid, VersÃ© who apparently was still in the ship when Zam blew it up.
(Ps: This Board need a search engine)
Gosh that's a gorgeous robe DormÃ© has got there. Thanks Darth Eagle!
If only we can get one of those front & back picture of it from somewhere . . . .