main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Handmaiden Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    I'd say the maroon cloak, worn by Eirtaé and Rabé on Coruscant would be the easiest to start with. I'm just now starting this (hoping to do Dormé's purple hooded one for Halloween), and got a smallish fluer de lis stamp to emboss it with. (BTW, thanks for the tips, those who posted! You're all great!) :~D So, since I'm kinda thinking of working on this myself anyway, I'll just tell you what I'm doing.

I'm not very good at sewing, so I'm using McCall's "easy" pattern 8936 for the cloak, since it looks much easier than some of the other patterns I've seen. For the underhood, I've got some beautiful satin-lined velvet scarves I picked up at a Casual Corner outlet store that I will cannibalize for it, and I'll need to get something satiny-looking for the back shoulder-drapey sashes.

BTW, Darth Eagle, another member had the HM puns stored, and he edited them and posted them at the RHS site. (see sig for addy) If you have any others that were missed that you think should be posted, let me know!

2. Master_Domtis

Master_Domtis Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    thank you for the advice bant :)

3. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    It's okay, GentleBant. :) Actually my computer swallowed them all up last Dec so I'm glad someone else had keep a copy of it.

So the HM Website is back online? That's great! I'll add in the new link to my website when I next update it. ;)

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, this one is missing-
    WHAT IS JAR JAR'S FAVOURITE HANDMAIDEN?
    Okiéday

4. Kirana_T

Kirana_T Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2002
    This is the first time I've actually had to ask for help here! I've been able to find everything else I needed just by looking. You guys are so thorough, I just know someone can help me. :)

If anyone has made Sabe's battle dress, what pattern(s) did you use and how did you modify? Fabrics I can probably figure out on my own (although tips would be appreciated).

Thanks.

5. ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl

ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2002
    Ok,

I just go the new STAR WARS INSIDER #61..

And they have an interview on Rosie Byrne Blooms, and australian actress who played Padme's handmaiden Dorm`e. On pg's 44-47 it has great pictures of Dorm`e and others, even a great full screen shot of the dress worn underneath the cape...Its wondeful to read and look at.If you are wondering how to do the dress then I really hope this helps you!

Also there is a head-to-midrif shot of Padme's Coruscant nightgown!

OWG.

6. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    OWG, the full-body shot is of Dormé in the decoy outfit. Where do you see the purple drapey-underdress?

7. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I got my SW Insider today and I'm all smily when I was staring at Dormé "Packing"(?) Gown (the full body shot one), even more when I realized what kind of fabrics & its design/texture that could had been used! Boy, I'm really getting tempted to do this one too (Must not do any new costumes . . . must finish the current ones first . . . :D )

So should we discuss this gown here or will someone do the honor of digging out the thread on Dormé's Gown?

8. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Are you talking about the Dormé, Coruscant thread I started? I can dig it up if you like. Or, we can keep it here.

Let's see, just for review, we know of 4 costumes for Dormé, yes?
    1. Purple gown, with hood up and down. (This is the one we see her most often in, particularly in the trailers. I believe in some scenes, Dormé may have taken off the hooded outer robe, though I am not certain.)
    2. Packing/polka dot gown
    3. Nightgown/"Are you alright, m'lady?"
    4. Decoy gown/crying/goodbye scene (this is the one that looks like a suit)

Did I miss any?

9. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    *thunk* *thunk* *thunk*

That sound you hear is me thunking my head against my monitor, because try as I may I just can't seem to find much in the way of Episode I battle outfit info! I have tried looking through old threads, with little success. What I need, more than anything else, is suggestions for patterns for the "frock coat" layer of the dress. I have a feeling that I can adapt such a pattern both for use as Padme's battle dress and Arwen's chase dress.

Anyway, if someone could point me toward any older threads on this topic (I have been searching through the pages, but haven't found much), that would be enormously helpful! Thanks guys!

10. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Veering slightly off-topic here, but have you looked at the Simplicity "Lord of the Rings" pattern, #9891? It can be adapted for the Chase Dress (Go to the LotR costume research site, and follow the links for "making 'em" to see how they suggest altering it.) It could probably be altered to use as the frock coat, as well, although that would take much more patience.

EDIT: They also suggest several patterns that could be used for the Chase Dress and could possibly be altered for the frock coat, too.

11. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Oh, wow, are they calling that their "Lord of the Rings" pattern? My theater group actually already has that pattern; we used it for costuming "Once Upon a Mattress" this past January. Well, that might make things easier, then. :) Thank you!

12. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    It's not "officially" called that, but it does bear an awfully close resemblance to some of Arwen and Galadrial's gowns from the movie... ;)

13. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    You're right-- it is a lot like the elven dresses. I guess I was so single-mindedly thinking of the chase dress, in all it suede-y complicated-ness, that it didn't even occur to me to think about simpler patterns. :)

14. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
  15. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Say, isn't this the gown queenseamstress was looking for pictures of?

I know it's not a handmaiden, but since it was discussed in this thread a couple of pages back, I figured I'd post it here.

-sg

16. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks, StormtrooperPrincess! :)

Hmm, this gown is found with the Art Of Star Wars exhibition or with the Magic Of Myths? ?[face_plain]

Aaarrrrhhhhh!! I must really find a way to get myself to Australia by next February to see all the SW Costumes, especially this one (if it's there) and Zam Wesell's. :_|

17. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Ooo, surlygirlie, I think that is!

Darth_Eagle, I believe it's the Magic of Myth exhibit.

18. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Whoa, StormtrooperPrincess, those are really great shots of the mustard gown...

Am I on crack, or does it look like the design on the sleeves was stencilled or painted on with some sort of metallic medium? That's a far sight easier than embroidering, that's for sure!

-sg

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Normally, sg, I would say that you are on crack, :p . But, it doesn't look like embroidery to me either.

20. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Well, it wouldn't be the first crackheaded thought I've ever had, so you'd be justified, Obi-Dawn.
    :p

-sg

21. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Saw the gowns up close. Definitely painted or inked on, no change to pile or texture of the fabric. Very deep brick red color.

22. StormtrooperPrincess

Apr 10, 2002
    Any ideas on how the underdress of the mustard-colored handmaiden gown was created? I'm thinking maybe Fortuny pleats because Fortuny's "Delphos" gown makes that same puddle on the floor. But that could just be the result of the length of the gown.

I'd love to make this one (second favorite of the handmaiden's outfits) sometime in the future, probably for CIII.

23. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    There's a shop/company here which do such pleatings (like on 12" and Buddies Maul Cloak) but they only pleat per roll of 50 yards. The end product will be half the initial length of the roll and I just can't afford it yet. :_| If not mistaken, it's about US$3-5/yard and this is just for the process of pleating, the fabric is separate cost.

My poor man idea is to use Cheesecloth or some other fabrics already got that wrinkles but finding that much wrinkle, well *roll eyes*; haven't seen one yet.

24. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
  25. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    OT here. :)

Someone asked for Queen Jamillia's Female Advisor?

[image=http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/imageattack/2002/08/img/ep2-1a-34841.jpg]

The actual news is here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.