main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Handmaiden Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    I'm not sure under what thread Padme HM clothes fall...hmmmm......

It was a blast meeting krleia as well! At Cel III, all HM costumers should unite for a big picture!

What type of material are you using for the underdress? A crepey one? Tulle? Chiffon? Organza?

2. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm actually using silk for the underdress. :) I'm going to do the pleats by using the Faking Fortuny Delphos Pleats method. I'm not overly concerned about getting a perfect pleat since this won't be an EXACT replica of the dress - different colors. That, and I kinda like the soft flowy look that the faked pleats give the fabric.

Of course, all of this is still up in the air as of right now. We'll see how detail picky I get once I get it started. :D

3. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    feh... double post. :p

4. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Ah, so a broomstick style pleating?

5. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Yep. :) Makes the dresses that much easier to pack and carry too. :D

6. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    :~D

How many pieces do you envision for the headspiece?

7. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Two separate pieces - the jacket part and then the hood itself. The hood looks like it's a completely separate piece from the jacket - possibly snapped in around the neckline for stability. I'll have to see what works as I go. :)

8. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    How's progress?

9. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Nil at the moment. Still trying to finish my Padmé Blue Tatooine Dress. **sigh**

kriffing one-post-per-minute... [face_plain]

10. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Would anyone describe the top of the battlemaiden costume as a riding style coat or an Asian influenced coat? I've been trying to figure it out....I did my first stab at this without a pattern, and I'm reconsidering it.

11. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Wow, did I ever kill the chatter around here....<crickets chirp>....:~D

I went ahead and bought a "see&sew" pattern, #3170 (a line by Butterick) to try and modify to redo my battlemaiden costume from TPM. The description reads, "Loose-fitting tunic, has collar, extended shoulders, front button/loop closing, side slits and stickhed hems. Staight-legged pants have elastic waist."

Link to pattern online: Click here and here. (Drat, I paid $2.50 for it at Joann's! :~P )

I figured that I would make my own flared sleeves, take in the pants to make them a little more form-fitting, close the side-slits and make the "tail" in the back longer, get rid of the buttons, and alter the collar to be more v-necked.

Advice, anyone?

12. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Hmmmmm, guess not. :~(

After reading the comments coming out about Padmé's costumes, I am very, very hopeful we will see some more handmaidens in action and their beautiful costumes!

13. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm just wondering what kinds of costume. Dorme had darker clothes than the TPM handmaidens, on the other hand I though her were more complicated. I would prefer to get back to some TPM-style, but I think that will depend on how much time will be spent on Naboo.

14. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Butterick has some costume patterns for mens' coats that look like they would be good as a base for the handmaiden battle coat.
    3723 and 3648 are two good ones. they're frock coat-shaped already. The first is double-breasted and the second has lapels, and neither has a full enough skirt, but they look easier to modify to me than a tunic pattern. Just my $0.02! :)

-Ceit

P.S. I couldn't get direct links to the pattern details, so this is the closest I could get. They're under "costumes" on the Butterick site.

15. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Gentle Bant, I don't know if you saw it or not, but there was a blurb on the OS (Set diary) about an actress playing a handmaiden in Ep.3 who was in for make-up and hair or costume fittings the other day. :) They didn't say who the actress was or what her character name will be though.

16. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    I did see that, Obi-Dawn! I'm very excited that not only are there at least two HMs in the next film, they're being cast, not just extras. That gives me hope that they'll have something important to do!

Thanks for the pattern advice, rvq.

ObiAnne, I do hope we get back to some more TPM style costumes. Dorme's, I think, were meant to be more functional and represent a more "grown-up" idea of Padme.

On the subject of TPM era costumes, I bought some green velvet drapery fabric to make the disco ball parade green HM costume. Any consensus on the *back* of how this looks? I've got screenshots from the movie, but nothing is real clear to me on the shape of the back of this thing. I also have to decide if I'm going to do the crest upside down on the front tabard like it is in the movie. :~D

17. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Any handmaiden costume news yet? (hopeful)

18. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    wouldn't it be fun for someone to be a padme with her handmaidens at a con? =P that'd be cool, each day someone could switch the role of padme and everyone could have a different costume for each day

19. InTheSockOfTheNight

InTheSockOfTheNight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2002
    I hope that someone can help me or at least direct me to the appropriate place.

I am going to tackle my first HM outfit and I would like to do the green Celebration Cloak/Outfit from the end of EpI.

Does anyone have an suggestions, pointers, etc.?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

20. debbie_l_g

debbie_l_g Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2003
    There is a brief mention of Handmaidens in a newly released picture. I followed the links from the main page of TheForce.Net to see the new look for Anakin in Episode III.

SithClan.net is the website that has the pictures. The direct link to the first, and so far only, picture of the Handmaidens in Episode 3 is here.

C-3PO is in the foreground while the Handmaidens are in the background.

Hope that helps.

Debbie :)
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, it's a good picture too. It can be found on page 12 of the latest Insider which also notes their names:
    Chantel Freer is playing Elle and Kristy Wright is Motee. (Both e's on the end of their names have the accent mark above them, as expected.)
    I like the design but the color, like a chocolate brown, is pretty somber. The waist length cloak is a divergence from past handmaiden garb that I can recall and I wonder if they keep their arms folded up underneath it or if the ever hang them down to their sides so we can see some sleeve? Hmmmmm....

22. nya

nya Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2001
    I am currently working on the Theed throne room handmaiden costume from TPM. I have found the perfect fabric for the underdress, but I know it needs to have lots of very small vertical pleats. Kreleia posted a link earlier on this page that talks about how to do those pleats, but that link is so old that I believe it's dead. If anyone has any suggestions for me on how to make all of these very tiny pleats, I would very much appreciate it :)

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
  24. nya

nya Jedi Youngling star 2

May 22, 2001
    Thanks Obi-Dawn Kenobi! I will try that :)

25. rvqavalon

rvqavalon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    The write-up of Dormé's Goodbye Gown that I promised the RHSers months ago:

Click here

If you run into any broken links, pictures, or if you have anything to add, feel free to tell me. Thanks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.