main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Handoff" Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mazzic, May 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    (I didn't really search far back to find a pre-existing similar thread...sorry)

Hopefully, you've read Timothy Zahn's "Handoff" from the Star Wars Gamer #10. What did you think?

First off, who do you think Markko is?

And what is it that Karrde finds in Mara's hotel room?

What did you think of the story? The art?

-Mazz

2. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, haven't read the story yet, but I have looked at the "art" (all one frame of it, opposite the first page of the story). Dorman, who usually is incredible, and has done dozens of awesome paintings (both in the SW universe, and in the Aliens universe) let me down this time. Mara Jade looked pretty crappy, IMHO, and at first glance, I didn't realize it was a Dorman painting.

3. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Scan please.

4. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    If only my scanner worked. ;)

5. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I read it, I'll discuss when Ig et back from class.

6. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Can someone please post a brief summary of the story!

7. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    Yeah, please! I can't really get Gamer in the UK so you'd be doing me a huge kindness. :)

8. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I'd apprecate that too. Only because I don't feel right tearing open plastic at book stores and I'm too poor to buy it right now ;)

9. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Mara's about to move on to a new world, but decides on a whim to stay for a concert. While there, she seems some people setting up a kid by slipping something into his backpack. Again on a whim, she rescues him and takes him back to her hotel room where she finds out he's a helluva slicer named Ghent. She goes back out and tracks down the guy who was giving Ghent a hard time, and finds out that he's an unofficial "friend" of local Imperial governer, and that he's captured a computer of the local Rebel cell that they need to crack into, hence the need for Ghent. She (using the name Arica) acts as Ghent's agent and agrees that he'll do the job for a hefty fee. On the way back, she notices that she's being followed, then hides and follows the followers back home - to find that the governor's "friend" is in fact a member of the Rebel Alliance. Still, a deal's a deal so she takes Ghent to the governor's palace to hack into the computer -- but she notices as he's doing it that it's not a Rebel Computer -- it's a Star Destroyer computer. The IMperial governor, realizing how galactic politics are shifting, is in it with the Rebels to get the Imperial military stuff in the computer. Mara isn't about to allow that. She has Ghent set up a distraction, and she pretty much tears the building down with her lightsaber. She can't go back to her hotel room for her stuff in case the rebels are waiting for her, so she gives Ghent pretty much all the money she has for a ticket home, and then sets off to get on a ship out of there. Ghent is approached by Talon Karrde -- who as it turns out is in need of a good slicer and offers him a job.

Overall, this story was a fun read but it really stretches credibility, both in that Mara had already saved Ghent's life before either of them joined up with Karrde, and also the fact that she was able to walk around a room slicing up the walls without anyone noticing.

10. ganner_rhysode

ganner_rhysode Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2001
    lol, thanks. :)

11. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Oh, and the art sucked.

12. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
  13. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    They name Ghent sounds awfully familiar. Wasn't he a slicer in the JA books??

Dantana

14. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Yes, but he was in the THrawn Trilogy more prominently

15. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    He's gotta be OLD!

Dantana

16. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    He was young in the Thrawn trilogy- eighteen, I think. That would mean that by YJK, he's still only in his early thirties.

17. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Yeah, there's the review.

Personally, I loved the story. It was a great Mara episode that didn't "fix" things other authors had written about - much to Zahn haters' dismay, I'm sure. ;) The art...wasn't the best I've ever seen though. In fact...it appears Dorman messed up on her head and re-did it...only to mess it up even more.

More later...

-Mazz

18. CommanderSesfan

CommanderSesfan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I read it just now. I really liked it. Lots of Zahn's traditional plot twists. I was intrigued by Markko's character too. His comments to Mara make him seem to be a highly trained rebel operative. I mean, during the course of the story he gets the drop on her twice! I wonder if he's actually more familiar than we think.

19. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Handoff was a fun story, but confusing at parts. And "The Force was no longer with her" got old quickly.

20. Kaeru_OS

Kaeru_OS Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2002
    Where can I find these stories in the Journal? I really want to read Mist Encoutner and this one, but don't know where to find them.

21. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Isn't it "First Encounter"? (the one where Quelev Tapper dies, and Karrde first meets Mara?) That's in 'Tales of the Empire', I think. There's also a Mara Jade tale in 'Tales from Jabba's Palace', and 'Tales of the New Republic'.

22. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Sleight of Hand = Tales from Jabba's Palace
    First Contact = Tales from the Empire

23. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    That's the title, 'First Contact'. I can't recall the one from TfNR, though... (and I'm too lazy to go check. ;))

24. Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi

Groovy_Ssi-Ruuvi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Well, I just reread "Handoff" to get a better feel for it. I definitely like it, as I'm a fan of all things Zahn when it comes to Star Wars. To me, Zahn is the only one who can truly write Mara Jade: no one else comes close.

There was one part of it, however, that I found disappointing, and that was the very end with Talon Karrde. It felt too forced and broke up the momentum of the story (hard to do at the denouement but...) Karrde is my favorite expanded universe character, but I have to say I would have preferred he didn't make an appearance in this story.

Oh well, still a good read.

25. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    "Personally, I loved the story. It was a great Mara episode that didn't "fix" things other authors had written about - much to Zahn haters' dismay, "

Dismay? Zahn haters hate zahn cause he tries to fix things. They don't want him trying o fix anymore things in the SWs universe.

So,as long as she's not fixing stuff I'm happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.