main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hangman's Noose - [intrigue/mystery]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Lord Bane, Oct 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    While EotE and ACC linger in development hell, I've started a little intrigue story, set during the Episode 3 timeframe. It is a mystery, with familiar characters like Anakin, Obi-wan, Mace and Yoda, as well as Palpatine, Dooku (my interpretation) and a young Imperial governor. Also appearing are new characters, links to other stories of mine, crazy concepts and mind-bending prose.

Go for it. 2 points for figuring out who the stranger's name is derived from.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anakin brought his blue bladed lightsaber around in a smooth arc and clipped the leg of the dark clothed man. The stranger growled in pain, but deftly avoided the follow-up strike.

?Why did you do this?? Anakin bellowed. The stranger smiled, his teeth glinting in the firelight of the burning Jedi Temple. ?Who are you? Stop running!?

?Perhaps you should stop fighting the wrong person, Jedi.? The dark figure bent into a protective fighting stance. ?If you insist on continuing this farce, you may get hurt.?

?I am a Jedi, armed with the Force and my will.? Anakin started to advance.

?You are a tool of a corrupt Order, seeking to cast their shadow on the galaxy. Tell me, what do you really know about your mother?s death??

Anakin stopped and his mouth contorted into a snarl. ? What do you know about her? Tell me or I?ll??

?You will what, kill me? Rip the knowledge out of my head with the Force? Pup, you would do wise to respect your elders.? The stranger walked forward and took off the black scarf around his face. His face was that of a young man, barely older than Anakin himself. But his eyes?his eyes were ancient, blue flecks of the stars barely caged.

?I recognize you. You?re one of the Lost Twenty. One of Dooku?s fallen Jedi.? Anakin straightened up and looked ready to advance again, but he extinguished his lightsaber instead.

?The Madam is still doing a fine job at teaching history. Hm.? The man with the stars for eyes smiled. ?I am a member of the ?Lost Twenty?, but not of Dooku?s group. My name is Naran Appa and it appears I?m the last man you need to kill for their plans to go through.

?What are you talking about??

?Open your eyes you daft git; The Jedi Council is trying to overthrow the Republic.? Naran Appa stared at Anakin; Anakin stared back with poor results. He looked away and Naran Appa approached him.

?Though I am not with Dooku, I am a supporter of his Confederacy, his idea that a Jedi Council run government would destroy all that we stood for, all that big dome over there stands for.?

?You mentioned my mother??Anakin looked pained confused. His eyes were cast down and he sparingly looked up at Naran Appa.

?I did. She was an unfortunate casualty of their takeover, the bait to bring you against the rebel factions of the galaxy. Do you really think Dooku would send an assassin to kill your mother? What does he have to gain by her death? What do the Jedi have to gain??

?They have me as a weapon,? Anakin said, slowly. ?But I don?t believe that they?d do that. Obi-wan and Master Yoda told me it was bounty hunters, hired by Dooku.?

Naran Appa threw his hands up and yelled. ?Don?t you listen, Anakin? Yoda is the Jedi Council; Obi-wan, a pupil of his, an heir to him in the Council, a fellow conspirator. Dooku didn?t sign the order to kill your mother?Obi-wan did!?

Anakin stumbled backwards and would have fallen, but Naran Appa raised his hand and pulled the Jedi with the Force. Anakin dropped his lightsaber and reached for something to lean on. Naran Appa offered him his hand.

?They are butchers, corrupt by their own opulence and success. The Jedi Order has swelled to more than ten thousand knights, scattered across the galaxy. Ten thousand shock troop, trained in the deadly and powerful ways of the Jedi, in habit hundreds of Republic planets and space lanes, waiting for a signal.? Anakin took the proffered hand and steadied himself. Naran Appa wrapped his s

2. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    I know there is a lot written there, but I think it's worth at least a quick read.

3. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Worth more than a quick read, as usual. :)

Interesting stuff here. Are there any EP2 spoilers in it? Not that it would keep me from reading, but I might need a little guidance to distinguish between what's been determined to occur and what you've cooked up on your own. I haven't been keeping up with the spoilers, but the name Dooku sure sounds familar.

4. Double_Sting

Double_Sting Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2001
    Wow, that is quite intriguing. When can we expect more?

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Fantastic Start, Lord Bane! :)

6. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    Well, I wrote it this afternoon and have a loose outline for the rest of the story, but...

I made mod this evening of the new forum, The Senate Floor (under the Community banner).

But don't worry, I'll get more in the next few days.

As for Ep2 spoilers, Dooku is a rumored name that is most likely true. But I am only assuming Ep2 and what happens. I'm not really operating from the spoilers I've read.

It's all going to be original, as much as I can make it.

7. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Even though I don't usually like Anakin and I'm not too sure about this idea of the Jedi wanting to overthrow the Republic, I'm still intriuged, especially by the last question about the death of Qui-Gon Jinn. Please post more soon and congratulations on your admin-ship.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Bane, I love your writing style and I'm very happy to see you getting another thriller up on the boards. Looking forward to being on the edge of my seat. :D

9. Padawan_Di-Lee

Oct 15, 2000
    Hey Bane, I just checked out your new forum & since I can't post over there yet, I thought I'd tell you good job over here. :) Congratulations on getting mod status and pushing your idea through. I think it looks really interesting and promising, but I'll probably never have time to actually post there. I have a hard enough time keeping up with fics now days. :(

10. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    Well, if you can, you can post there now. As the Announcement says, it is open for business.

11. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    New post

---------------------------------------------

The office was all dark reds and black; great windows faced the great dome of the Senate and further in the distance, the Jedi Temple. Three men occupied the spacious room, the quarters of Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, awaiting the return of their eccentric scout.

?I don?t see how luring Skywalker in this manner is the best course of action we can take,? Tarkin said. ?He already resents the Jedi for his personal loss and their failure to stop the Count.? He gestured to a tall, elegant man standing by the bay windows.

?Governor, he must be made to hate the Jedi, to turn from their soft graces and into the harsh reality I am creating for him.? Palpatine reclined in his chair; no light was on in the room and the glow from outside cast long shadows in the room. Palpatine was completely eclipsed. ?I have foreseen his turn.?

?Just like you foresaw the death of one of my best men?? Count Dooku turned from the skyline and moved to face the Chancellor. ?No matter what political victory you may have won here, the ramifications have shattered the resolve of some in my league. Clone armies march in the millions on the worlds of the Confederacy, not to mention the Generals that lead them.?

?Jedi scum,? Tarkin hissed. ?They should be strung up and burned, starting with that gnome and his bearded lackey.?

Palpatine rose from his chair and gestured at the door. It swooshed open and a cloaked man sauntered in to the room. His dark blue robe trailed behind him; a Corellian scarf hung around his neck.

?I?d say we?ve damn well succeeded,? Naran Appa smiled and brought a glass of whiskey to his outstretched hand. ?The boy?Anakin?his thoughts were so dark, yet so uncalloused. He?s built no blocks against pain and it?s driving him right into our hands.? The tumbler he was drinking from shattered, cutting his lips and hands.

?Bloody---? he began.

?Your hands work me for, rogue.? Palpatine?s yellowing eyes flashed reflected light. Appa wiped his mouth the back of his good hand; he said nothing.

?I have more important work for you three to do while I prepare the succession. Count, are the preparations for the counterattack ready?? Count Dooku stroked his white beard in the darkness and nodded.

?I?ve amassed the needed troops. The droid army is sputtering against the clones, but at this point, superior numbers still count for something.? He pulled a robe over his head and started for the door. ?You will have your counterattack when you need it, my lord.? He bowed and left.

?Appa, will you hold up your end of the bargain?? Palpatine crossed to the bleeding man. Once a master in great standing with the Jedi Council, now a man on the run from his former comrades, Naran Appa knew the dangers of these clandestine operations. What Palpatine, the vicious Sith lord wanted, was tantamount to suicide for most.

?I wouldn?t be a Corellian if I said no,? Appa said, and smile. Blood stained his teeth like those of a wild animal.

12. Padawan_Di-Lee

Oct 15, 2000
    As usual, your plot deepens quickly into the intrigue! I like your characterization of Palpatine. [face_devil]

More please!

13. PeterTutham27

PeterTutham27 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2001
    Hmmm... Good post, I'll be watching it... Hmm.. The stranger's name...

Well, it is a palindrome...
    (You can read both names forwards and backwards the same)

Naran Appa

so if you only meant to have one of each letter... *snaps fingers*

Nar Ap
    Napar?
    Parna?

Or you can rearange them into "Papa ran an..."

Hmm... maybe if his surname was Scottish-
    "Vader O'Dolly"

Then his entire name could be rearranged as
    "Papa ran an old lady over..."

Or maybe I'm wrong....

14. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    Nope. Not even close. :D

New posting...sometime in the near future. Between finals and more finals, my free time is a bit taken up.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I completely forgot about this story. Rest assured, I'm still here. :D

Stranger's name . . . Naran Appa, Appa, Naran, Nap Arran . . .

Nap Arran! Um, no, I guess not. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.