main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Han's last name

Discussion in 'Literature' started by QuiWanKenJin, May 30, 2018.

1. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    Okay kids, here is real truth Han has a cousin named Thraken Sal-Solo!
    Solo is his real last name! The Imperial officer simply guessed it, because he just happened to be alone.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    k

3. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    What if it's
    actually Sal-Solo? D: :p

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  4. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Or what if it's d-me-down[SPOI/LER]

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    And there's one Solo in Chalmun's Cantina in Episode IV to compare him with.

6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    To be perfectly honest, that was the one thing I really didn't like in the movie.
    I just don't get it. Like other people on this board, I for a time assumed that he actually had a last name, but did not want to acknowledge it for some reason; but a recent declaration by Jon Kasdan makes it clear that he simply does not have one. How come? He seems to have known his father at least a little (unless it's a lie), so surely he must have a surname, even if he doesn't know it? Or perhaps it's a caste thing, as on Krypton, where the rankless have no last name?

7. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Sounded like a lame excuse much like Rian's entire subversive movie an excuse to claim they did this!
    Much like Rian's movie it was unnecessary and a waste!

Does this mean they're going to reveal his true surname is Ren?!

kalzeth likes this.
  8. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Dude.

Really.

Do we need TLJ bashing in the "Han Solo's Name" thread?

9. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    My apologies, that was going too far.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Do you have a link to that declaration? What did Kasdan actually say?

Jedi Princess likes this.
  11. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    He didn't want anyone to know he was the rightful king of Corellia.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    YES< that is actually true [face_laugh] [face_love]

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "Whosoever shall draw these dice from this chain is rightfully born heir to the kingship of all Corellia"

14. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Well I mean they also destroyed what Corellia actually is... so I guess the background is just random words in the background. This isn't such a huge problem for me, they're not 'ruining the original' since this is an entirely new universe. They could make Alzoc III a sand planet, its not the same Alzoc III we know from Legends anyway so it doesn't really matter. They're inventing their new canon, which is absolutely fine.

15. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    How?

16. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    It's a slum planet ran by crime lords in New Canon, in Legends its a thriving Core World split between the more human supremacist pro-Imperial factions and the pro-liberty pro-Rebel factions, both being ardent Corellian nationalists but of a different sort. Corellians would want to RETURN to their homeworld and see it as a great thing, not try and run away from it.

kalzeth likes this.
  17. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    We saw a city.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

18. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Only the fringe of an industrial part, and a spaceport.

19. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    It's hardly a "slum planet ran by crime lords". We saw that part because realistically that's the part Han would see too, but that's basically like only watching the chase sequence in Attack of the Clones and deciding that Coruscant could be described the same way.

The Databank describes Corellia: "An ancient world in the galactic Core, Corellia is known for its people’s wanderlust and its massive shipyards. Corellia played a key role in the expansion of galactic civilization, but that was thousands of years ago. It’s now a faded industrial planet exploited by the Empire to build TIE fighters and Star Destroyers. Corellians not born with money or influence hope to escape their homeworld in search of a better life."

That fits pretty well with what we know of Corellia in this era. To my knowledge, Star Wars Galaxies was the only Legends source to actually go to the planet during the Imperial era. Most of the information about this era comes from people talking about the past in the X-Wing books, which includes a lot of talk about Corellia's decline into violence and piracy.

20. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    This proves that CorSec (Corellian Security Force) and Hal Horn are useless.

kalzeth likes this.
  21. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Yes, and the biker gang clubhouse near my apartment proves the police are useless.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

darklordoftech and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I loved how Han got his name, thought it was clever, also kind of dramatically moving that Han admits he has nobody (as Qi'Ra was just taken from him) and the Imp writes him off as Solo in a snooty imp way, (Han hiding out and pretending to really want to become an imperial just to escape was also great) and cut to Three Years Later Mudball planet chaos is so very great. Also, it's a Godfather II shout out! Star Wars is supposed to steal from other movies, that's a huge point.

jSarek and DelRiego like this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why would Han keep a name made up by an authority figure though?

Hope to see Vykk Drago and Jenos Indianan again.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  24. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Cos it's cool.

But also bear in mind he's at his most hopeless, having lost Qi'ra and being forced to turn to the Empire to get her back. He's in a bit of a dark place, so I think the name Solo would resonate with his state of mind at that point. Either that or wear it like armour, and it can never be used to hurt you. Or both.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Also he had three years of people calling him "Solo!" so it probably stuck. But it does a good job of reflecting who he is at that moment and the fact that he has no people he displays it.

Also, to restate most importantly, Godfather Part 2!

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Revanfan1 and Jedi Princess like this.