main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Happiness is...

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by Kai_Vandekar, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    ...being in your Jedi robes at work, nearly a FULL WEEK BEFORE HALLOWEEN!!!!!! Tall boots make us mighty!

Ahem. Anyway. My office traditionally has its Halloween potluck the Tuesday before Halloween. This year, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay before.

But, on the downside, lightsabers on your belt clank against office chairs, and long robe sleeves get stuck over the chair arms when you sit down. So impractical. No wonder Jedi were all killed off. When Order 66 went through, they all spun around to deal with their attackers, got hung up on the office furniture, and were cut down while they were swearing and stumbling and yanking their robes free. I'm sure of it.

So, that's my "happiness is..."

What's yours?

- Kai, bein' mighty in her tall boots...

2. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Happiness is...

Seeing the smile on a child's face as they look up at you and say, "Obi-Wan, you ARE real!"

:)

Other Happiness... Walking down the hallway in your Jedi's and feeling that cape just flow "perfectly" out behind you.. and in your tall boots... and the lightsaber at your side...yup...nothing beats that too!:D

3. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Ohhhh MAJOR HAPPINESS is recently discovering that your Starfighter (thatyou've had for almost a year) actually has....CUPHOLDERS!!!!!!![face_dancing]

(ok so they were hidden in a slideout thingy in the dashboard over the radio.....really I had looked,, really truly I did.)

(Gods, I feel like such a dweeb.....)

[face_laugh]

4. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Happiness for me is hearing that shriek of terror and the sound of running footsteps as I emerge from the shadows, laughing and smiling. Happiness is overhearing how someone enjoyed watching me eat my meal as I stab each morsel like it was yet another enemy or terrorist traitor to be skewered and devoured. Happiness is hearing the thunderous applause as I speak to the public from my balcony, the cheers and support of the innocent people as I take their rights away, and place my friends in positions of power and authority. Happiness is the innocent look on my face which hides the true evil within?

((oh, wait, was that supposed to be Sidious? Thought that was George Bush, sorry))

5. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Ow. Just snorted fruit punch out my nose. Thanks, Sid.

6. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    My work here is done then, my day is... complete.

7. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    Aaah, yes. The "billow." I love the billow. I was striding along the hall at work just a bit ago to feel the billow. Yeah. It's a good thing. ;)

8. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/lwvlav/fightlikeagirljedi.jpg]
    Ok, so...my form is atrocious here (as can be seen by the fact my sidekick...er...isn't), and I deserve to be a perpetual Padawan for the rest of my life for it. What can I say? I was concentrating on holding a pose for the picture and the fact I've never tried a kick while holding a saber at the same time! That being said, I just had to post the picture anyway for the glee of having the robes on at work!

(Oh, and the reason for the pose is our self-defense t-shirts show a woman kicking and have the logo "Fight Like a Girl!" So, I had to do a version of that.)

So, happiness is still wearing Jedi robes at work. But I need to get my rear back into martial arts...stat!

Edit: Boy, I wish I could change the proportions on the thumbnails this message board uses! I'm squat enough as it is! :_|

9. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Awesome Kai! I want one of those shirts. "Fight like a girl!" Hee hee

Okay, so...

Happiness is...

Getting together with your fanforce just to talk SW and have good food, remembering all the times they've been there for you and how you will be there for them come Mustafar or Kamino!

Doing your first troop at a hospital and seeing these kids who must be in so much pain actually smile and call you Vader (I'm not Vader dangit!).

Realizing that no matter how far you go, no matter where life takes you, there will always be a Fan Force to take you in and call you family. I love you guys!!!
    Yes...even you Sid. ;)

Oh yeah..and the billow. :) Too bad we can't wear costumes at work...the whole good laboratory practices thing.

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Happiness is seeing a bunch of kids look at an Imperial Royal Guard and asking if she's a Shadow Ninja. [face_laugh]

In seriousness though, happiness is sitting on the cliff over the sea and watching the sun set in a rainbow of colors as a light breeze plays with your hair. :)

11. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    Okay, I guess I should say that a good chunk of happiness was all the people that showed up for the Boardwalk outing and the great time I had there with them.

For once, I didn't have to drive hour(s) for a SW event, it was nice being home in short order.

The trips to CIII, Baycon, DLand, etc, kind of wore me out and real life has been slapping me around a bit lately, so happiness is hoping for better times to come and more times like that day at the Boardwalk.

12. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    We really need to schedule another SC-based event, I think. I know winter is coming on and the rains will be coming soon, but even a get-together for dinner, or...I dunno. Something. Doesn't have to be a big high-powered thing. Heck, if I lived down there, I'd just say come over for dinner! Unfortunately, I don't live down there, darn it.

*has a brief fantasy about us all having enough disposable income to rent Asilomar accomodations for a weekend and do Star Wars/Jedi symposiums on all sorts of topics by the beach, interspersed with breaks to watch the whales and water and the local oh-so-tame deer*

Think of it...a whole weekend to talk silly Star Wars stuff, and then work in--I dunno--relaxing meditations, sword katas...

Edit: Come to think of it, that sounds amazing. I wonder if it'd be do-able?

- Kai

13. Master--Kenobi

Dec 8, 2003
    Oh yeah we have to do this...what would be good for all? How about after the first of the yeare (if that's allright with Mr. and Mrs. Sid? - I know they need to check their calandar). So shall we work on something then? You started it Kai, :D Lets do it!!!!!

Besides I'm gonna need a major break about then. I have 2 weeks off in Jan...

14. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    First of the year, ironically, I will be in Asilomar...but with another group! DOH! That's in...er...either January or the beginning of February. I will find out the exact dates, though, and then can eliminate that from the weekend possibilities. And if people are serious here, I can check dollar amounts and other details. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? We can't afford it or figure out working dates. But maybe we can afford it and coordinate it, and that'd be awesome.

So, anybody else interested? If so, we can set up a thread and just toss out brainstorming ideas on what we'd like to do/cover/etc. The main idea of Asilomar is it's a small and absolutely gorgeous conference center, right on the beach, and you rent little rooms/cottages and meeting rooms for whatever period of time. Meals are part of the package and at a large dining hall, where your group gets a table(s).

We could talk all sorts of SW stuff, and/or "Jedi" stuff--we could take turns presenting a topic to each other as a group...whaddevah. I'm open to thoughts.

Glad you're interested, Master K! :)

- Kai

15. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Mmm... happiness definitely is being able to wear your costume to work!! I'm looking forward to wearing my Celebration Leia costume this year, and I'm even going to bring along the interactive R2 I picked up the other day. Hey, I work in a place full of geeks... they'll love it.

Previous years have been Jedi robes, though, as Arwen's extra-long and extra-full sleeves were deemed too unweildy for laboratory work. I actually managed to deal with the Jedi robes in lab, amazingly, as long as I took the cloak off. Just stuff the labcoat on over the tunics and I was ready to work.

Real happiness, though, is hearing from your nephews when they receive the Luke and Vader costumes you made for them in the mail, and listening to them tell you about how they're going to be Jedi (well, one of them anyway) and how much fun they're going to have on Halloween.

16. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I can now add to my list...

Happiness is being able to party at a club in your Star Wars costume, with other Star Wars costumed people around you!

Happiness is the mind-boggling and yet incredibly entertaining site of not on, but two Lukes dancing and lip singing, using their lightsaber hilts as microphones.

Happiness is the first chance to dance, in, like... two years. And did I mention how cool the costumes were?

Happiness is seeing Ian McDarmoid's name in the "hosted by" credits for the music DVD, after you'd thought for an hour that it was suppose to be John Williams, and freaking out over the fact that he looked so much like Sidious! It's a relief to know that it wasn't yet anothe Sith consiracy!

17. Kai_Vandekar

Feb 9, 2005
    OMG, us thinking that perhaps that was John Williams sans beard was sooooooooo funny in retrospect. But we just kept ASSUMING because it was the MUSIC VIDEO thing that was playing, so OBVIOUSLY it had to be John...right? And we kept saying, "Dang, he looks like Ian...what's with that? How creepy is THAT?"

Thank goodness we were totally wrong.

BTW, I posted some pics from the party over on the SF Fanforce board. :)

And yeah, that was a lot of fun...although dancing in Jedi robes...yeah. Um. Yeah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.