main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Happy 30th Anniversary! - 25 May '07

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DarthFar, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthFar

DarthFar Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2007
    Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for quite sometime - mostly gawping at the artwork posted here -, but I've recently summoned the courage to actually post stuff (international Star Wars art forum!!! Frequented by some of the biggest names in SW art! [face_worried] It's enough to make any newbie nervous). Um anyway, my humble offerings:

More serious stuff:
    Obi-Wan on Mustafar
    The Falcon's Men

General cartoony silliness (Aaron Allston fanart, for anyone who reads his stuff ;)):
    Wraith Squadron

Thanks for looking.:)

2. Aleria

Aleria Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2007
    Wow, you're good. I'm also a newbie, and your work makes me feel more nervous, too. ;)

I especially like the first two pictures. The colours look so soft and you've captured the shadows pretty well! The 'Obi-Wan on Mustafar' is my favourite, with the top and bottom of the nearest pics on the filmstrip. It really works for a movie freak! Plus of course the lighting and Obi's expression are fantastic.
    The only thing that I was kind of left missing was that, in the 'Falcon's Men' I think Chewie would have been great in the middle... But it's your art so you've got the power to choose over us lowly admirers. :p

And the last one is nice, too. Cartoon isn't really my kind of art, but I think your piece was still good.
    Anyways, that's some good work there. I hope you'll post more when you've got the time for it.

3. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Don't be shy, you've got some really great stuff! Goodness knows some of my stuff has been downright kiddie scribbles. :p And we don't bite., we just share. :) I think my favorite has to be your Lando and Han piece. Love your stuff, though, as you can see by my favs and watch ;) Oh, I love your DevArt icon, too. :p

4. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I posted a comment on Deviantart ^^ sorry if I cannot make a long and nice post, I'm not a native english speaker and it's sometimes hard to find the good vocabulary to use...

Your style is great, the colors are very well done and it seems you already have some experience in drawing and coloring ^^ keep up the good work! :)

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    *jaw drops* Oh my God, these are amazing!

I absolutely adore your Han/Lando piece! The likenesses, the color, the composition - everything is perfect in this piece! Your Obi-Wan is also a dead-on likeness. You mentioned in the social thread that you're delving in a lot of different mediums. Are these both digital or are you using traditional methods as well?

6. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    HIIIEEEE!!!

**waves frenetically**

What a wonderful treat, to find your work up here too! :D **claps** Love your thread title, btw! ;)

I could not believe I didn't comment on Obi Wan at dA, but will rectify that shortly--it's a stunning portrait of such a supremely powerful, emotional moment (this was the point, sitting in the movie theater when ROTS released, that I broke down and cried...)--you've captured it all: the anguish, and grief and frustration and despair... Beautiful colors, wonderful mood--just gorgeous! =D=

And you know how much I LOVE "The Falcon's Men!" **grins insanely at painting again** It's just so great--like a publicity picture-op in the SW universe, with Han and Lando trying to "outcharm" each other! lol! So, so great! :D

And Wraith Squadron is a superb "class photo!" All the characters, all the unique personalities--you're definitely going to be a favorite on these boards for this piece, for sure: there are dozens of uber-fans of the X-wing novels, and you're going to be their hero! ;)

Welcome to the Fan Art forum, DarthFar--we couldn't be more pleased to have you with us, and look forward with great anticipation to your next additions to your gallery! :D

FF

7. WraithTen

WraithTen Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2007
    =D=

Your work is amazing, I'm so glad you have it up here!

Wraith Squadron is my favorite, but that's obvious.
    I think ObiWan is gorgeous, the deep and rich colors and the emotion. Great job!
    Lando and Han, their expressions are perfect.

I am looking forward to your continued progress. :D

8. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Will you draw Rogue Squadron and Nawara Ven? :D

9. DarthFar

DarthFar Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2007
    Wow, thank you so much, everyone. :)(Where's that silly big grin smiley when you need it?).

@Aleria: Thanks very much especially re: Mustafar border. That was utterly unplanned, but it's interesting how the picture went from being a total mess-up to, well, something people find artistically framed. ^_^ And you're right about Chewie - I *did* feel as if there were something missing while I was drawing it. But it's supposed to be just Han and Lando sharing a joke/secret the viewer isn't privy to, so I guess he can stay out of the picture just once, LOL. I hope you'll be posting art soon as well.

@ShrunkenJedi: LOL, that DA icon's Peter Venkman, from my Christmas card picture for a good friend. ;) Thanks very much for the faves and comments; I'm watching you back now that I know you do both SW and HP art.

@Vana: I think your English is fine (and anyway, English isn't my first language either... or my second). Thanks very much! I used to occasionally draw funny cartoons back in school, but I've been teaching myself to draw proper humans in proportion and to paint (among other things) for almost a year and half, and I find that to be more fun.

No promises, but *if* I were to draw Rogue Squadron, would you prefer the comic book lineup (which includes Wes and Hobbie) or the novel one? (Because you mentioned Nawara Ven separately).

@HanSolo29: Thanks so much! I like using a combination of traditional and digital media because well... to be honest, I can't draw a smooth digital line to save my life, LOL. The Obi-Wan portrait is completely digital (I drew a dark silhouette and worked in the details in increasingly lighter colours), but the Falcon's Men and the Wraith ones were originally drawn in coloured pencil and lined with a mechanical pencil. I feathered the lines for the Falcon's Men by about 3 pixels so they wouldn't be too heavy, and then painted it digitally. (And then removed some of the less important lines after I was done).

@FF: Hey there! Great to see you here. I didn't realise just how much SW art you've drawn until I went through your thread (and almost had a heart attack. I'll get around to commenting once I recover). Thanks very much for the warm words of welcome, and the wonderful comments. [face_blush]

@Wraith: Thanks very much, and I'm the Dinner Squadron picture meets your expectations! Now that I know you're here, I'm going to have to work out some way to maneouvre you into posting *your* stuff. This place could use some gizkas, LOL.

10. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    the ObiWan is awesome, it looks so real, you can actually hear his voice when you look at the image, very good

11. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    :eek: Woah, amazing!
    Can't believe how you could be so shy with that pices! :p

Welcome to Fanarts, DarthFar! [:D]
    Sorry I'm so late, I haven't been on since somewhere last week.

And your art is awesome! [face_love] Esp the Obi-Wan painting! I love it! =D= Looks so realistically!

But of course, the two other pics are great as well! =D= I like the amused expressions on Han's and Lando's faces.

Well done! =D= Hope to see more of your work soon! :)

12. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    You have some really great stuff in here, it looks absolutly amazing!=D=

I wish I was better with digital mediums but I am trying to expand:D Though I doubt I'll have the patience or time to reach this level of exelance.

13. Elysiann

Elysiann Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2006
    fantastic work =D= looking forward to seeing more from you in the future!

14. DarthFar

DarthFar Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2007
    Hi there everyone, I'm sorry for disappearing abruptly last month. My house has been under renovation; my last post was before hell descended upon my workspace. [face_beatup]Excuses.

@Bieren: Wow, thank you so much. I've seen your artwork as well; you are truly an amazing artist.

@Chilla: Thanks! ^_^ I'm a somewhat shy person in nature; I'm always nervous when I first join a new community. But I'm hoping to settle in here; it's a great place.

Mitth_Fisto: Thank you very much. It's always good to expand. I started out with digital media, and now I'm trying to learn traditional media properly. Seeing as you started out with traditional media, I think it should be easier for you to pick up digital.

@Elysiann: Thanks very much!

------------------------------

UPDATE:

Here's an 'exclusive' piece I did for a good friend for her son's 5th birthday, in accordance with a detailed description she provided of how she wanted it to look:

No cake!

The 'no cake' title's because the kid looked at it for a very long time and then asked his mom if Yoda looked that way because nobody gave him any cake. [face_laugh] Thereafter he asked her every ten minutes if he could see the card again... which I take to mean that he liked it [chuckle]. I'll put it up in my DA gallery in a couple of days.

Also, a friend of mine who stalked me all the way to TheForce.net told me to put up fanart for the game Knights of the Old Republic. I haven't drawn any in a while, and I don't know how many people here have played it, so here's just one, drawn to celebrate this year's Valentine's Day. Or not. It's hard to tell. ;)

True Love Isn't

Cheers,
    Far.

15. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    Hello DarthFar!!

Your artwork is absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!
    I love it all, but the piece with obi-wan really got me, that part of the movie was soooo difficult to remain not crying. Yoda looks so awesome!!!

PLEASE post more! :)
    AND if you got some extra time....
    HanSolo29 has masterminded a plot to draw 30 characters from ANH, and we need more artists! :)
    So, if you could, we'd dearly love it, and if not, I intend to stop in as much as I possibly can. I love the style you have!

God bless!!
    ~N

16. DarthFar

DarthFar Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2007
    Hey there Nidrail, thank you so much. ^_^ That Mustafar scene was my favourite part of the prequels.

And Re: HanSolo29's huge project - that sounds great! where can I find out more about the project?

17. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Farlander! :D

Great to see you here on the JC!
    You already know what I think of your art, I've commented plenty on dA. :p

LOL at the 'no cake'.
    Naturally shy or no, you have every right to be here, given the (admittedly evil) talent permeating your work. ;)

18. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    [face_laugh]

Far, that 5-year-old is a very, very lucky kid!

19. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    [face_laugh] That has to be the reason!!! The child's so cute! And his logic makes lots of sense....at least for me. :p
    =D= The card looks great! Yoda in all his glory.

It's right here. :)

The KOTOR pic is awesome! :eek: Takes my breath away! [face_love] I love their expressions: Boa totally in love, in another world and HK-47 with an almost evil gleam in his eyes. (well, not sure that's possible with droids)

=D= Very well done! Keep up the great work; can never have enough of that! :D

20. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    **falls on floor laughing again**

Far, you're going to kill me, I swear!! [face_laugh][face_laugh]

Yoda is, in one word, awesome!! And that little boy's remark is so choice I couldn't stop smiling over that, either! Wouldn't you be cross, if you didn't get any cake?! [face_laugh] ;) I love the smoothness of the coloring and shading, and those balloons are so beautifully done! Absolute likeness, as well--just amazing!

And the "true love" thing...? [face_laugh] Well...we just can't predict it, can we...? ;) :D :confused:

Your work is stunningly good, and your humor is the absolute best! =D= Great, great stuff!

FF

21. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I love the Yoda!! ^___^ very funny, and the colors are wonderful.

And I like your HK/Boa-dur too! ^___^ will you draw Atton? :D

22. Fenrisulven

Fenrisulven Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    Wow, I think I need to slap myself in the face for missing this thread. I really like all of your art. As I said on DA a few minutes ago the picture of Obi-Wan on Mustafar is absolutely gorgeus. =D= And of course, "No Cake" is just wonderful [face_laugh] I love it.

23. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Hey!
    I really like your Obi-Wan art.
    Excellent! =D=

C @};- S

24. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    I've been lurking in your fan art thread over at KFM for awhile; glad to see you over here. :D I absolutely adore your KOTOR artwork! :D [face_love] That Bao/HK picture is just adorable! [face_love]

25. LittleZion

LittleZion Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2006
    BIG LOOOOOL !!!!!

Haaa ! I love your work !! I love Yoda ^___^ & Han+Lando
    Your style is so fun !
    Colors are very beautiful !
    A very good touch ! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.