Padu, KY Happy 30th Anniversary STAR WARS!!!

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by SithMonger, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithMonger Jedi Knight

star 2
    When Han Solo said, "Here's where the fun begins," he wasn't lying. 30 years down, Forever to Go!

My first memory of Star Wars is that I remember asking my sister to take me with her boyfriend to see it, but they wouldn't. Afterwards, I asked her what she thought and she said it was ok and not really her type of movie. Really, though, it was the 70s and they had just started dating so who even knows how much of the movie they even saw. But I was bummed until I saw the Holiday Special. Wow! That was amazing!! It was really that, the comics, and the art books that pushed me into being a fan. Then the figures came. Then the hype for Empire and I was definitely hooked. The rest, as we say, is Star Wars history!

Share your earliest memories or memorable accounts of 30 years ago, today or during that year. And if you weren't around 30 years ago, then maybe a parent has a story or just recount what you remember about the time you finally saw it.

Everyone have a great Star Wars Day and May the Force Be With You, Always!!!
  2. ED-VADER Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, I can remember seeing ( all 6 ) episodes in the theater - "with my parents" - they are big Star Wars fans. I was 13 when they took us to see episode 4 and I remember everyone being blown away. People actually stood up and applauded at the end of the movie. It was rare to be blown away and hooked on the same movies as your parents! When episode 5 & 6 came out they were like - yeah you wanna go?!! By the time episodes 1-2-3 came out it was like a tradition. Even though you saw them in the theater a million times, we all went at least once together. That's the thing about Star Wars, it spans several generations and has fans of all ages!
  3. pacervader Founder & CR of the Paducah Imperials

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    My first memory of Star Wars was two-fold, first, my Darth Vader action figure was given to me for my 3rd birthday (my parents apparently ignored that choking hazard, lol) and we went over to thier friends house for dinner and to watch A New Hope when it premeired on HBO. I remember sitting directly in front of the old floor model tv, clutching vader as the star destroyer came overhead. And that was it, I was hooked from that moment on! Happy Birthday Star Wars! pv
  4. Valhalla Jedi Knight

star 2
    MY first Star Wars memory was watching it in the Kentukiana theater in beautiful downtown Somerset. I've been told I can't possible remember it because I wasn't even 2 yet, but I remember the awe that went over the crowd, how the theater just seemed to disappear. It may have been held over and thats how I got to see it in the theater don't know the date, but when Vader came aboard the bloackade runner through the smoke, I was hooked. Thank God my Mom was a Sci-Fi fan!
  5. DarkLordOsirisPrime1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    For me, my first Star Wars memory was seeing the empire strikes back at the old theatre on hinkleville road next to the nissan dealership. It was the first movie my parents ever took me to, and it meant a lot because it was just me and my dad. I had already seen Star Wars, but when I saw empire, and those AT-AT's come walking by, I was totally hooked. God bless George Lucas for giving so many fond memories to so many, including me.
  6. LordTreyger Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have memories for each of the movies but my memories of Star Wars and Empire are what stand out the most for me. My parents took me to see Star Wars at the old drive-in on Lone Oak road roughly where Super Value is now located. The scene that stands out to me is that of an X-wing going in for its trench run at the Death Star.

My memories of seeing Empire for the first time seem much more vivid to me all these years later. At the time we were living in Carroltom Missouri and my dad was still in radio. The station he owned was a University of Missouri sports affialiate and they had their annual meetings in Columbia, where Mizzou is located. We saw Empire opening night, I can remember crossing the 4 lane street in the rain holding my Dad's hand and walking up to the theater. This theater instead of having the posters in the windows they all the figures displayed in several scenes.

I have other very fond memories of the remaining saga films as well, ranging from my Dad letting me skip school to go see Jedi with him to racing back from North Carolina to see Episode I with TK8049 only to arrive and find out he is in Arkansas, so I saw the midnight showing with his sister (Matt's mom.)

Anyway gone on long enough, here is to 30 more years!
  7. ChristopherLee-91 Jedi Padawan

well I'll tell you why I'm a fan...I obviously wasn't around when Star wars first came out for those that didn't know. In 1997 when the OT was redone my Uncle sent us the trilogy as a gift, so we watched I loved it, I really didn't get into as much when i was little as I do now, i owe it all to my uncle, if he had never sent it to us I might not have ever seen it, although I doubt that because what American hasn't seen Star Wars.
  8. willismaximus Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Being born in '83, I was first introduced to Star Wars on VHS. (I know, I'm young, I'm a baby, blah blah, etc.) Star Wars was already 9 years old at the time I 1st saw it in '86. I saw Empire 1st followed by Jedi . . . I didn't actually see A New Hope for some time after that, as we didn't have that one taped. My parents used it to keep me occupied, though I doubt very seriously they knew the monster they were creating. I can think of a similar situation with my 1st Nintendo, but I digress. I remember that when my mother asked me which one I wanted to see, I would demonstate by walking like an AT-AT or an AT-ST, depending.

Gimme a break, I was three.
  9. TK8049 Jedi Knight

star 2
    There used to be a show on WSIL/ABC/Ch.3 called Cactus Petes Funny Co.Uncle Briggs hosted this show which basically consisted of The 3 Stooges and Deputy Dog but one day while watching it I saw a preview(they didnt call em trailers yet..at least not in KY)for a movie called STAR WARS and I was a total bigfoot geek at the time so once i seen Chewie I had to see this movie.I saw it in Cairo,Ill. sometime around July/August "77 i would say.
  10. ice1138 Jedi Knight

star 2
    My earliest memory is seeing SW on HBO when I was maybe 4 or so. After that, I was pretty much hooked.
  11. ozoneace1 Jedi Knight

I WAS IN 1st GRADE , IT WAS AT THE OLD DOWNTOWN THEATER (A MUCH BETTER THEATER THAN THOSE CRAP BOX THEATERS OF TODAY). ALL I WAS INTO WAS COMIC BOOKS , KISS & STAR WARS (WOW WHAT'S CHANGED). THE NEXT BIG STAR WARS EVENT FOR ME WAS GETTING THE EARLY BIRD ACTION FIGURE SET FOR CHRISTMAS , THE ONE WITH THE CARD BOARD STAND NOT THE PLASTIC ONE (STILL HAVE IT BY THE WAY). MY GOD BY TIME EMPIRE CAME OUT I WAS OBSESSED !!! THEY FROOZE HAN & CRY BABY LUCK GOT HIS DIGITS CUT OFF (THAT ROCKED THE CASBAH).
    NEXT UP THE MARVEL COMICS SLIP UP RELEASING THE COMIC EARLY FOR RETURN OF THE JEDI (YEP I READ IT BEFORE SEEING THE MOVIE).
    WELL IT'S ALL DOWN HILL FROM THERE , LATTER B*#!'S ...Berry
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.