Classics Happy 35th Anniversary To The Star Wars Holiday Special

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Narutakikun, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narutakikun Force Ghost

star 4
    Broadcast for the first and only time on November 17th, 1978 - 35 years ago this week.

So everybody sit back with some Wookiee-ookies, put on some Jefferson Starship, and have a happy Life Day! And if you've never seen the SWHS, do be sure to watch it sometime - with or without the Rifftrax.
  2. Team Padme Force Ghost

star 4
    I watched bits and peaces of it but it was so boring.
  3. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    My favorite TV special, of all time... just because G. Walton hates it. :)
    Heero_Yuy likes this.
  4. QuangoFett Force Ghost

star 4
    Happy anniversary to the Holiday Special.

My gift to it is some much needed solitude, away from my prying eyes.
  5. DarthRelaxus Chosen One

star 5
    I can't bear the thought of watching it, but if Disney releases it on DVD/Bluray I know I'll buy it.

And so will you.
  6. CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    It's only 34 years.
    CoraxRD likes this.
  7. Darth_Foo Force Ghost

star 4
    Me and my brothers try to watch this every Christmas for the past few years. Its like a game to see who can get through the whole thing.
    DarthRelaxus likes this.
  8. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    How much are you guys wagering?:p
  9. mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    i watched it the other day and i nearly wanted to put a bullet in my head.
  10. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Suicide? While watching a Celebration of Life-Day?

Sidious would probably find some irony in that.
    Last edited by SithStarSlayer, Nov 27, 2012
  11. Darth_Foo Force Ghost

star 4
    Respect. MST3K is a fav show for most of my family so our sanity is wrecked enough that something so horrid as The Holiday Special is considered "fun". After Manos: The Hands of Fate, Santa Clause Conquers the Martians, Future War, and The Beast of Yucca Flats THS isn't that bad 8-}
  12. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5
    Once you get into / get over the wacky animation style, the Boba Fett bit is actually somewhat decent. It's like an oasis in a desert of suck. That and seeing Han and Chewie at the Falcon cockpit still looks cool even if Harrison Ford seems more confused than usual at the whole Star Wars thing.

Anyway, even though Lucas hate it, this story is still canon, right?
    Last edited by BigAl6ft6, Nov 27, 2012
  13. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 5
  14. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If not, it should be...
  15. Llew Jedi Padawan

I love the Holiday Special. I've made almost all of my friends sit through it at least once. It really hope Disney kicks LFL into gear with getting this out on some kind of format.
  16. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 6
    Information based on the story is- like the names of Chewie's family. Michael Kube-McDowell wanted to do his own thing with Wookiees- like have them as polygamous- but LFL insisted he stick to the outlines established in the Holiday Special.
  17. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Force Ghost

star 4
    It shows how bad it is if the guy who approved the Ewoks and Jar Jar and Howard the Duck hates it.
  18. tal0nkarrde Force Ghost

star 2
    ROTFL! This special was absolutely horrible, but I was obsessed with getting my hands on a copy of it for years. I could barely remember it a decade after watching it as a kid and thought that I had imagined it until someone mentioned to me that The Star Wars Holiday Special was the first time we really got to see Boba Fett. "Aha!" I thought, "It does exist!" Thus began my journey to get my hands on a copy of the special which finally ended when I found a decent version on ebay complete with commercials that allowed me to reminisce about the toys, food, etc of that era. Most of the special was bloody horrible with too much make-up on Mark Hamill to cover the accident scars, a very high Princess Leia, some funkadelic segments and Wookie's constantly grunting and groaning at each other with no subtitles for explanation. Yet, I cherish my copy of the special and will never part with it.
  19. LawgSkrak Force Ghost

star 4
    Couldn't they "Special Edition" the heck out of this and at least make it watchable?

You know, fix the video quality (obviously), add some new special effects, put in subtitles for the Wookiee scenes, stuff like that? Maybe edit out the whole Jefferson Starship part and put it in Special Features.
    Last edited by LawgSkrak, Dec 2, 2012
  20. Narutakikun Force Ghost

star 4
    Making it "better" wouldn't really make it better. The charm of the SWHS is the wonderful, cheesy, horrible 70s-ness of it all. "Correcting" that would be like paying Weta to redo the goblin effects in Troll 2, or to CGI in some better birds in Birdemic. The WTF-inducing badness of it is what makes it worth watching.
    DarthRelaxus likes this.
  21. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    I saw the SW Holiday Special as a kid (when it first came out), but remember nothing about it at all, not even the cartoon. I've subsequently tried watching it on Youtube & the quality is so poor that, IMHO, it's unwatchable.

If they ever release Droids & Ewoks cartoons on DVD/Blu-ray, I would like to see the Boba Fett animated section added to these DVD's as a Special Feature - this would make perfect sense since the animation company that did this Boba Fett sequence was also responsible for the Droids/Ewoks cartoons (Nelvana).
  22. LordMortis315 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I feel proud to say that I have never seen this. :D
    QuangoFett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.