JCC Happy Birthday, Internet!

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Jan 1, 2013.

1. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    Oh Internet. Without you there'd be no lol cats, no Rule 34, trolls would be reduced to the category of annoying customer, no means of hearing hearing terrabytes of mucic for free, no bragging rights for Al Gore, no cyberpunk, no "likes", no debates about Fett's escape from the Sarlaac Pit, no Beckinsale image searches, no Space-X, no smart phones, no real time rebellions, hours old news, no The Old Republic, no animated smileys.

We love you internet! Happy 30th Birthday and many more!

[IMG]
    Darth_Invidious and BultarSwan like this.
  2. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Um... how exactly are we defining Internet for these purposes?
    Last edited by Ramza, Jan 1, 2013
  3. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    OOPS, forgot to add, Also known as Flag Day

"The internet, a revolutionary and cheap communications system that has transformed the lives of billions of people across the world, turned 30 today.

The computer network officially began its technological revolution when it fully substituted previous networking systems on January 1 1983.

Known as "flag day", it was the first time the US Dept Of Defense (DoD)-commissioned Arpanet network fully switched to use of the Internet protocol suite (IPS) communications system.

Using data "packet-switching", the new method of linking computers paved the way for the arrival of the World Wide Web."
  4. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Wow, 30 years?

I got my first Internet compatible computer in 1996. It had 8 MB of RAM and AOL packages came on those CDs with 2-4 hours each. And my comment was "Why would anyone need to spend 2-4 hours on websites?"

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

I cut my Internet teeth on those Yahoo mailing lists, several of which were for Star Wars topics.
    Valyn likes this.