Lou, KY Happy Celebrate the Life of Chewbacca Day!

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by Relin, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Relin Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Tuesday October 5 is a day of mourning for Star Wars fans. It was this date in 1999 that Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime by R. A. Salvatore was released by Del Rey.

The book, which was the first installment in the epic New Jedi Order series featured the heroic, yet tragic, death of the beloved Chewbacca.

Chewie, as he is commonly known, was first introduced to us in the movie, Star Wars, in 1977. He was the co-pilot of the Millennium Falcon and best friend to Han Solo. He was a strong warrior, brilliant mechanic, fantastic pilot, nobel, and loyal to the end.

In this book? Han Solo, then an Imperial Lieutenant, forfeited his career as an Imperial and rescued Chewbacca from death. For this act, Chewie felt he owed Han a life debt which later included Han?s wife, Leia Organa Solo, and children Anakin, Jacen, and Jaina Solo.

Chewbacca died helping young Anakin Solo rescue children from the destruction of the world Sernpidal. Anakin was forced to choose saving his family over Chewbacca, a decision even his father found hard to accept, ?You left him, you left Chewie!?

Chewbacca is, to date, the only major character from the original Star Wars trilogy to be killed of in the Expanded
    Universe. RIP
  2. LordZannah Jedi Master

star 2
    Thanks for letting us know about his Relin.

Ya know.... I've wondered off and on threw my life, why I cried when "Ole Yeller" died, or "Lassie or Fury" were hurt. And later on, why do I (or in fact any of us) get misty and or upset, when any of our "beloved" fantasy characters meet their ends. It doesn't matter if we get to know them from modern movies and books... or in our ancient sagas. In our minds, we know they are fictional... Harrison Ford is not Han Solo... Christen Hayden is not the fallen Hero Anakin Skywalker. These characters do not exist... so why do we become so emotionally attached?

I guess it's pretty simple. To us, they represent the right stuff in real life. We get to know these characters intimately, and they represent the characters of real live people, who really exist in our world today. They existed yesterday, and they existed centuries in our past. So in essence, our fictional characters become real to us, and in a very real "sense". Pun intended...

We get to know them intimately, and we can relate to them on an intimate level, and within a very "human" condition.

With that in mind, and in honor of our beloved fictional character whom we all know as Chewbaccah... I have decided that this is as good a time to honor all heros as any. So... On this evening, and in good Norse tradition... I'll have a nice piece of baked beast cooking in the pot tonight. And I'll set an extra plate at our table brimming with goodness. This will be done especially for all the heroes who have ever been and who are living now. Chewbaccah, rest in peace. And May The Force Be With You... always. [face_flag]
  3. 11-11 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Well put.=D=

HAPPY LIFE DAY, CHEWIE!!! OUR BELOVED WALKING CARPET!!!

Thanks for giving us a few more books with Anakin Solo!:)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.